Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fastbilly1 posted:

Eventually:
https://www.tsrewind.com/index.php/en/
It is a authorized fan version for the PC

That's been in development for like 20 years. I want it to be real, but don't hold your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

I still miss the NESticle feature where you could gently caress with the graphic tables right on screen during gameplay, and save out your graphics hacks to a new rom.

Yeah, that was pretty fun though I didn't have much use for it apart from changing the star flag to the Canadian flag in Super Mario Bros.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

I still miss the NESticle feature where you could gently caress with the graphic tables right on screen during gameplay, and save out your graphics hacks to a new rom.

Reminds me of when BizHawk was under development; in the beginning they said they were going to restrict ROM loading to a "known database of ROMs" matched with checksums, and reject loading anything not on the list.

Why? They didn't want to "contribute to the proliferation of NESticle-era ROM hacks". :rolleye:

To this day I don't think any other emulator supports real-time CHR editing.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

That's been in development for like 20 years. I want it to be real, but don't hold your breath.
Keep the faith. It took fifteen years to get Duke Nukem Forever...wait thats a bad example. How about the nine years for Team Fortress 2?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fastbilly1 posted:

Keep the faith. It took fifteen years to get Duke Nukem Forever...wait thats a bad example. How about the nine years for Team Fortress 2?

Prey (the first one released in 2006) was in development hell for like 11 years and that one turned out pretty good.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A wild Buyee package arrived

"Like new" Game Boy Light, headphone DAC + headphones for Wonder Swan and a replacement swan crystal screen cover for my scratched up skeleton swan crystal :toot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fastbilly1 posted:

Black Mesa was like 13 years and counting :cheeky:

HL2 was like 9 years too. And Warcraft 3 was like 6? Halo 1 was also like 5 years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I always loved that tiny GB Pocket form factor :3:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Does anyone have a good recommendation on how I can remove the old screen from my swan crystal without using a knife on the edges to pry it out?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Standard suggestion for that and all issues with screens and lenses is "spudger".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DW 1&2 works on a non-color GB?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

DW 1&2 works on a non-color GB?

Its a black cartridge, not a clear cartridge :eng101: Black ones were backwards compatible.

DW3 was only for Color though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like this was brought up not long ago apologies if it was. What's the best way to get a good picture from an NTSC Gamecube that doesn't involve purchasing component cables or playing on a Wii?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

shyduck posted:

I feel like this was brought up not long ago apologies if it was. What's the best way to get a good picture from an NTSC Gamecube that doesn't involve purchasing component cables or playing on a Wii?

Use the S-Video cable?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
S-Video is surprisingly not that terrible, if you want good and not great.

e;f,b

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Didn't even think of s-video, thanks, I'll give it a shot. It'll be passed through a framemeister so hopefully that'll help too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

shyduck posted:

Didn't even think of s-video, thanks, I'll give it a shot. It'll be passed through a framemeister so hopefully that'll help too.

Yeah the Framemeister will help avoid transparency issues from 240p/480i mistakes. The colors won't be as vibrant as RGB/SCART/Component, but it won't have any of the fuzzy interference you get with composite cables.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Zamujasa posted:

Reminds me of when BizHawk was under development; in the beginning they said they were going to restrict ROM loading to a "known database of ROMs" matched with checksums, and reject loading anything not on the list.

Byuu did something similar with early builds of bsnes. .SFC files only. Problem was, until No-Intro started proliferating, SFC-format roms were not easy to find. Pretty much everything accessible to most people were the old Super Magic Card dumps (.smc). Bizhawk runs everything now, and Byuu backpedaled, thankfully.

NESticle was the first emulator I ever tried, at Zophar.net's suggestion. I was using my first PC and it was a hand-me-down 2 generations behind, so it couldn't handle MAME, SNES, or Neo-Geo (NeoRageX) at full speed. NESticle, Genecyst, Kega (pre-fusion), Raine, and Magic Engine all ran great, however inaccurate they were. I had a Gravis Gamepad Pro connected to my sound card's serial port (whatever else that was used for, no idea). It was pretty drat neat. Still didn't prevent me from collecting legit games and consoles, to my wallet's disappointment.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

I had a Gravis Gamepad Pro connected to my sound card's serial port (whatever else that was used for, no idea).

It's a game port. It's meant to be used for controllers and MIDI devices.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

Byuu did something similar with early builds of bsnes. .SFC files only. Problem was, until No-Intro started proliferating, SFC-format roms were not easy to find. Pretty much everything accessible to most people were the old Super Magic Card dumps (.smc). Bizhawk runs everything now, and Byuu backpedaled, thankfully.

It was more nitpicking than that, as I recall. The actual data format of the ROMs didn't matter, just the file extension, and earlier versions of bsnes required renaming your ROMs or using the utility for it included in bsnes and loading ROMs from a load menu, rather than selecting individual files. You could rename .smc files to .sfc and they would work, meaning byuu's quixotic crusade to turn back twenty+ years of emulation habits was just an extra nuisance users had to go through.

There really wouldn't be any reason why the old .smc images wouldn't work, besides byuu's neurotic pettiness at the time to not include a standard file load dialog box in order to try and force everyone to rename their ROMs. Even if they were poorly dumped and full of intros, headers, and so on, they were still designed to be played back through a Super Magicom on a real SNES.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
can we ever dial back the poo poo talking about teenage byuu who has grown as a person? no? ok.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the Toro box still the gold standard for getting the best picture out of the Dreamcast? If so, I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one. :retrogames:

Also what's the best website nowadays to get a good male to male EuroSCART cable for a good price? Thanks!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xenomrph posted:

Is the Toro box still the gold standard for getting the best picture out of the Dreamcast? If so, I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one. :retrogames:

Also what's the best website nowadays to get a good male to male EuroSCART cable for a good price? Thanks!

Yes if you want to use a SCART connection. For straight VGA, the Hanzo. Then there's the Akura if you want HDMI.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes if you want to use a SCART connection. For straight VGA, the Hanzo. Then there's the Akura if you want HDMI.
Scart is probably the best option for me since I've already got a Framemeister, and my TV won't support the Dreamcast's VGA resolution (I already explored that avenue a while back). Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Realistically any VGA box should be just fine for VGA. The VGA signal is generated onboard the Dreamcast so long as a certain pin is signaled.

All a VGA box needs to do is pull pin 6 to ground and then move the signal from pins 8,9,14,15,16 onto the appropriate pins for a VGA connector, which would respectively be DC pin 8 to VGA 14, 9 to 13, DC14 to 3, 15 to 2 and 16 to 1 (pins 5 to 10 on a VGA connector are tied to ground, pins 4,11,12,15 are not connected at all). You also connect dreamcast pins 2 and 3 for audio output, whether for a headphone style jack or two RCA plugs. (SCART/RGB is similar, you tie an additional pin to ground and instead connect a few other pins for the signal)

So as long as the manufacturer doesn't really gently caress up the soldering or shielding or something, any VGA box should work perfectly. And for the slightly better boxes that let you switch to S-Video output without swapping the entire connector out, to handle games that don't play nice with VGA, you simply need a switch that instead brings the pins for S-Video output from the Dreamcast to appropriate plugs and which disconnects pin 6 from ground to tell the Dreamcast to stop doing VGA.

Because of how simple this all is, you could even whip one up yourself so long as you have a dreamcast AV connector plug to work with.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

Realistically any VGA box should be just fine for VGA. The VGA signal is generated onboard the Dreamcast so long as a certain pin is signaled.

All a VGA box needs to do is pull pin 6 to ground and then move the signal from pins 8,9,14,15,16 onto the appropriate pins for a VGA connector, which would respectively be DC pin 8 to VGA 14, 9 to 13, DC14 to 3, 15 to 2 and 16 to 1 (pins 5 to 10 on a VGA connector are tied to ground, pins 4,11,12,15 are not connected at all). You also connect dreamcast pins 2 and 3 for audio output, whether for a headphone style jack or two RCA plugs. (SCART/RGB is similar, you tie an additional pin to ground and instead connect a few other pins for the signal)

So as long as the manufacturer doesn't really gently caress up the soldering or shielding or something, any VGA box should work perfectly. And for the slightly better boxes that let you switch to S-Video output without swapping the entire connector out, to handle games that don't play nice with VGA, you simply need a switch that instead brings the pins for S-Video output from the Dreamcast to appropriate plugs and which disconnects pin 6 from ground to tell the Dreamcast to stop doing VGA.

Because of how simple this all is, you could even whip one up yourself so long as you have a dreamcast AV connector plug to work with.

Pretty much, but since Xenomrph has a Framemeister, sync combining will be an issue and the Toro does that all in one box.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

A wild Buyee package arrived

"Like new" Game Boy Light, headphone DAC + headphones for Wonder Swan and a replacement swan crystal screen cover for my scratched up skeleton swan crystal :toot:

jealous as hell, I've always wanted a light but I'm stubborn and want a gold one which are hard to find in good condition for cheap, for some reason

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

jealous as hell, I've always wanted a light but I'm stubborn and want a gold one which are hard to find in good condition for cheap, for some reason

I bought one when I lived in Japan in the late 90s when they were dirt cheap. Probably my favorite version of the Gameboy. Shame they never made a color lighted version like it. It felt so nice in the hands and it was Nintendo design for adults so it was completely different than anything they ever did before or really since.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
So hey, PS1 modchips. They still make those? And if they do are the old issues I remember from back in the day with later games having lockouts still, well, an issue? It's about time I ditched using a cheat device for imports and just had everything work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

absolutely anything posted:

So hey, PS1 modchips. They still make those? And if they do are the old issues I remember from back in the day with later games having lockouts still, well, an issue? It's about time I ditched using a cheat device for imports and just had everything work.

Ehhh, if you want to do that, you're probably better off getting the PS-IO drive replacement, with attaches to the parallel port on older PS1 models. It loads games and other things straight off a SD card:
http://ps-io.com/

There's still modchips around, but the PS-IO would be far less hassle to use.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I too would like to find out more about proper modchip for PS1. That serial port thing is $150 and out of stock.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Regarding PS1 modchips, I was going to link to Zer0-2k11's sell thread on Assemblergames but it looks like they're doing a rebuild following some issue with malware being injected in their ads.

But it seems Zer0-2k11 sells elsewhere: https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/zer0-2k11s-mod-shop.21659/#post-171885

He does good work and ships fairly quick. I got my PS1 modchip a few years ago from him.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 3, 2017

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I thought compatability on the PSIO was lacking, or have things changed?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There's an open source PSX modchip called PSnee you can run on an ATTiny45. I have a MM3 in my PSX and you can probably find a chip pre-flashed with that for 5bux or so. It's like the cheapest system ever for modchips.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

I thought compatability on the PSIO was lacking, or have things changed?

People expected it'd be abandoned after the main firmware engineer bolted after a falling out with the project lead. Though the project lead said he was going to hire someone and since that split there's been a few FW releases that have fixed a few games.

http://ps-io.com/news/

http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au:82/projects/CSGC/issues/CSGC-32?filter=allissues

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 3, 2017

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8-bit Miniboss posted:

People expected it'd be abandoned after the main firmware engineer bolted after a falling out with the project lead. Though the project lead said he was going to hire someone and since that split there's been a few FW releases that have fixed a few games.

http://ps-io.com/news/

http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au:82/projects/CSGC/issues/CSGC-32?filter=allissues

I was looking at compatibility and it seems like a bunch of the best games for the system still aren't working with it. That's a shame too. I love the idea of the thing but still at the moment it isn't a buy for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Djarum posted:

I was looking at compatibility and it seems like a bunch of the best games for the system still aren't working with it. That's a shame too. I love the idea of the thing but still at the moment it isn't a buy for me.

FYI, these are all of the tickets ever created. Most of them are set to done as in they're fixed just in case you missed it. If you set it the filter to Open Issues it's shorter.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Speaking of PS1s, is it even worth replacing a disc drive/mod chipping one at this point? It's my favorite console and I'd like to be able to grab the few imports that look interesting but it seems like something that's a pain in the rear end and I'd like the disc drive to last more than a few years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I pulled out my modded PSX a while back just for kicks. After the roughly 9 hours it took to load up and get into the game, I realized it's probably better to just play my actual games on ePSXe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

liquid courage posted:

Speaking of PS1s, is it even worth replacing a disc drive/mod chipping one at this point? It's my favorite console and I'd like to be able to grab the few imports that look interesting but it seems like something that's a pain in the rear end and I'd like the disc drive to last more than a few years.

Not worth it for older model PS1's due to the mechanism being so close to the power supply that it will just melt again. Not a problem with SCPH-5500 and up models and should last.

• Locked thread