Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

There's a program in the Living Skyrim mo2 called enb organizer that you could look at. It has 6 different enb's to choose from. I think Pi-Cho is the brightest and looks pretty nice.

Thanks, Pi-cho is definitely a lot nicer than the default, nights are still dark but I can actually vaguely see things at least. Only downside is DOF seems to be very broken with it but eh, I can just turn it off, never been a massive fan of it anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Falcorum posted:

Thanks, Pi-cho is definitely a lot nicer than the default, nights are still dark but I can actually vaguely see things at least. Only downside is DOF seems to be very broken with it but eh, I can just turn it off, never been a massive fan of it anyway.

DOF in videogames are dumb in anything that isn't a non interactive cutscene.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this one didn't last long. we were overwhelmed by bandits when exploring a crypt. i managed to escape, and when i returned belrand was no longer among the living :rip:

pretty sure i didn't kill him, for once.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

DOF in videogames are dumb in anything that isn't a non interactive cutscene.

Counterpoint, it's super pretty and it's fun to screen archery your random log textures in the sun with cool bokeh

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

this one didn't last long. we were overwhelmed by bandits when exploring a crypt. i managed to escape, and when i returned belrand was no longer among the living :rip:

pretty sure i didn't kill him, for once.

Belrand is quite literally the tankiest mortal companion in the game. He always casts self armor spells and spams heal when damaged. I really think you need to stop dragging these people to their deaths and just summon Atronachs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

Belrand is quite literally the tankiest mortal companion in the game. He always casts self armor spells and spams heal when damaged. I really think you need to stop dragging these people to their deaths and just summon Atronachs.

I already use a summoned tank (you'll see the summon widget in most of the post mortem shots). I'm playing with Simon's pretty deadly Blade and Blunt coupled with Respawn (the mod that respawns you at the nearest temple at the cost of all your stuff) with a no-reload policy, so the companions are there to minimize the risk to me.

I don't know what happened to Belrand. He did seem more competent than the average follower, (though I didn't see him use armor spells), and I expected him to run back to me when I entered the dungeon because I left him mid-fight (NOT engulfed in my flames), but I found him dead.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 24, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Please continue your "leading every NPC to their deaths" playthrough. Also download a mod that let's you recruit other random NPCs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This reminds me a bit of the Space Rangers 2 playthrough where someone got the idea of becoming the top-ranked ranger by murdering every other NPC ranger ship in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I am going to have to start consulting the wiki for available followers soon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You stay away from my drinking buddy Cosnach. He has done nothing to you!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Downloading companion mods so I can accidentally kill them all

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

You know, potions and good gear help companions stay alive a lot longer.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Also, not running into caves, declaring, "Let's you and him fight!" and running off tends to keep companions alive. Malacath disapproves . . . except when you bring along that rear end in a top hat that wants you to do everything. gently caress that guy.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Was about to say this. He is my husband and we are in love

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

added to the list. thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Also, not running into caves, declaring, "Let's you and him fight!" and running off tends to keep companions alive. Malacath disapproves . . . except when you bring along that rear end in a top hat that wants you to do everything. gently caress that guy.

two things: a) most of my other followers died to my magic, so idk about that. b) i don't usually run, but this area was too high level; i ending up fighting level 20, 25, and 30 (and 50, but i ran away) enemies despite being level 18 myself (i use a mod or two that soften the level scaling). i'm playing on expert, because i found adept, which was recommended by Blade and Blunt and the guide I was following, a bit too forgiving.

Rainbow Knight posted:

You know, potions and good gear help companions stay alive a lot longer.

forgot about potions, thanks. Blade and Blunt is actually forcing me to regularly use potions for the first time.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I am going to have to start consulting the wiki for available followers soon.

Hey so uh have you done any deadric prince quests yet

You might want to get on that sooner rather than later

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The one downside to having Barbas around is how much he absolutely loves to block doorways. Had to use the tcl command more times than I care to admit with him around

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wispmother

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This redshirt playthrough is hilarious. :allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I haven't touched Skyrim (Oldrim) since PC issues necessitated that I reinstall Windows last year. But I miss just jumping into the game and screw around, so here I am, hunting down what I could recover of my list of mods. This time in Skyrim SE plus now it's not a nightmare mix of manually installed mods, Steam workshop stuff and some through Mod Organizer 2.

I love throwing in many weird mods without properly reading what/where they involve and just running into their results in game, though it can have consequences. I'm never going to forget going into a Forsworn camp and seeing a headless, completely naked guy come running down a stairway to throw fists at me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Wispmother

What the gently caress man?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Wispmother

Dude you need to tell us whether you've done Boethia's deadric quest, this is starting to look dire

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Installing Interesting NPCs to replenish your supply of doomed followers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress man?

hey, wasn't me this time. i even bought him an amulet with 40% fire resist.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Dude you need to tell us whether you've done Boethia's deadric quest, this is starting to look dire

that's a level 30 quest, according to the wiki. currently at 21.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

added to the list. thanks!

forgot about potions, thanks.

Lmao, how many people have died from this?

Still though, you're making me wonder how far I could get in requiem with a PC completely prohibited from personal combat, I'll have to try this some day.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I have a new machine so moved over my Skyrim game.

Cue entering every room and having objects flying off the shelves at you (often hitting and causing damage) and horses bouncing around all over the place.

I thought it was my mods but turns out Skyrim doesn’t play well with high frame rates at all.

Fortunately limiting FPS to 60 in my graphics card fixed everything.

So now that I have a powerful machine I can really lean into the Mods - I’m running SkyUI and a couple of other basics already - any others that are absolutely recommended? I know there is an Op but it says it’s very out of date.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

I have a new machine so moved over my Skyrim game.

Cue entering every room and having objects flying off the shelves at you (often hitting and causing damage) and horses bouncing around all over the place.

I thought it was my mods but turns out Skyrim doesn’t play well with high frame rates at all.

Fortunately limiting FPS to 60 in my graphics card fixed everything.

So now that I have a powerful machine I can really lean into the Mods - I’m running SkyUI and a couple of other basics already - any others that are absolutely recommended? I know there is an Op but it says it’s very out of date.

you might wanna follow this guide (if you have SE), or at least the initial steps that cover essential fixes and tweaks (among other things, your FPS problem is addressed). the later sections are more a matter of personal preference, but aren't a bad starting point.

it's a pretty minimalistic guide, more about getting the game working well and improving the QoL than any sweeping changes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

you might wanna follow this guide (if you have SE), or at least the initial steps that cover essential fixes and tweaks (among other things, your FPS problem is addressed). the later sections are more a matter of personal preference, but aren't a bad starting point.

it's a pretty minimalistic guide, more about getting the game working well and improving the QoL than any sweeping changes.

i don't know if i'd take modding suggestions from you right now, lydia would probably spawn into a new game pre-cursed

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Super! I don’t have the DLC but I’ll see how it goes (or maybe just pick it up)!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You probably do want to pick up the DLC at this point; most mods require them (including IIRC the unofficial patches, which you absolutely want) because mod authors understandably hate going through 10 hours of troubleshooting "y doesnt ur mod work" only to find out that the answer was "lol I dont have teh dlc" which breaks one script causing the whole mod to CTD whenever that script is accessed and don't want to maintain like 10 different versions of their mods due to all the possible combinations of base game + DLC that exist.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't even remember the last time I saw a mod that didn't require all of the DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any guesses why the tcl command sometimes does nothing? I have to restart the game to get it working. Some mod turning it off?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Make sure you don't have something selected, else you're applying it to that and not yourself and it'll look like it didn't work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Any guesses why the tcl command sometimes does nothing? I have to restart the game to get it working. Some mod turning it off?

You probably clicked on something with the console so TCL is targeting that, not you. Click on a rock or an npc click twice on an object to select and deselect it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Commander Keene posted:

You probably do want to pick up the DLC at this point; most mods require them (including IIRC the unofficial patches, which you absolutely want) because mod authors understandably hate going through 10 hours of troubleshooting "y doesnt ur mod work" only to find out that the answer was "lol I dont have teh dlc" which breaks one script causing the whole mod to CTD whenever that script is accessed and don't want to maintain like 10 different versions of their mods due to all the possible combinations of base game + DLC that exist.

Done. I guess I'm going to have to restart my current game (I'll see if I can get away without) but I'm sure it'll be worth it long run.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm guessing it's too late—I'm not sure how Steam refund handles DLC returns—but I would've gone with SE, or waited for a sale. It runs much better (in my experience with a 6 year old PC), and looks considerably better. Not just the ambient occlusion, the lighting in general is improved. Oldrim would have these patches of complete darkness in slightly shady areas, which I hated and SE mostly fixes.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This paraglider mod rules

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah, it quickly became one of my essential mods. It pairs really well with a magic mod that adds slowfall or some over way to negate fall damage, then you go around getting as high as possible and doing precision airdrops into bandit bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing it's too late—I'm not sure how Steam refund handles DLC returns—but I would've gone with SE, or waited for a sale. It runs much better (in my experience with a 6 year old PC), and looks considerably better. Not just the ambient occlusion, the lighting in general is improved. Oldrim would have these patches of complete darkness in slightly shady areas, which I hated and SE mostly fixes.

I bought it years ago - just life got in the way and I finally decided to give it a proper outing now!