Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's a good dude. I wish I was as tall and as handsome as MML.

:gooncamp: :biglips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

fixed

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is MML tall enough to do the Riker maneuver WRT chairs? One of our officers in Reactor department was tall enough that he had to walk with a permanent stoop in order to not smack his head on stuff. Dude probably was 6ft 6 inches tall and could definitely do the leg over the chair to sit in it trick.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Unfortunately, no. Thanks to a hosed up back, and old age, I've lost an inch of height and I'm down to 5'11''.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ironically Jonathan Frakes did the Riker maneuver because of a hosed up back in the first season, at least that was his explanation, and then he just made it part of the character.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

You'll be going at the same time as one of my good friends then. Sorry that the detailer shortened your tour by that much though.

We'll probably just miss each other. I start next June.

Edit: And MML, what do you think of the internal pocket for the jacket? I liked it when I got to try it on for the fit test/photos.

That's a shame. Saves me from having to ask every classmate about stairs until I catch a glimmer of recognition though.

The only real issue with the shortened tour is autoanal gymnastics I have to do to finish my Masters in time, but the detailer was willing to flex a bit to make it happen, so I can't fault her.

I really like my primary gig for my shore tour, but what I spend 80% of the time doing is so frustrating that sometimes I yearn for the simplicity of being a beat down department head underway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

sometimes I yearn for the simplicity of being a beat down department head underway.

:allears:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

What can I say; the sea, she calls to me.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

What can I say; the sea, she calls to me.

Being underway as a DH was generally way better than being in port so there is something to what you're saying.

Honestly, you'll do great as a department head but it will most likely be harrowing.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 11, 2020

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

McNally posted:

Note to self: Riker avs for all

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

piL posted:

Psht, you're going back to sea soon enough I'm sure.

Edit: speaking of which, my shore tour's been shortened by about 8 months. Department Head school in early 2022!

Please tell me they're throwing money at you to stay in for that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Riker owns

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, yeah - he's a rare O-5 who habitually tells the selection board to go gently caress itself when they try to compel/*force* him to take O-6.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

McNally posted:

Note to self: Riker avs for all

Make it crabby and I’ll bite.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Please tell me they're throwing money at you to stay in for that.

Oh yeah. The bonus they give to those who take Department Head is 105K if you take it within a certain time frame. It goes down after a while, but is still within the high 5 figures range.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it goes up more in the next few years. COVID is keeping people in a little longer, but the Navy was already having problems retaining folks for DH tours.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SteveLiewer/status/1337451126703222784?s=20

Maybe don't have a Russian gf that you met while in Djibouti. Maybe pay attention to your security briefings. Maybe don't be a colossal fuckup

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

Maybe don't have a Russian gf that you met while in Djibouti. Maybe pay attention to your security briefings. Maybe don't be a colossal fuckup

Other than this he’s a p cool guy though.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you can't come back home with an FSA hottie that can clean anything, speak six languages, and can get the guy at the counter to break the rules this one time and give you the discount, what's the point of going to Djibouti?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

An AOAA went overboard on the TR and the search was called off.

https://apnews.com/article/search-a...aign=SocialFlow

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I have an acquaintance out there who told me when it happened. Everyone just got out of a 23 day isolation period prior to getting underway, everything on the boat is shut down for covid, and everyone is loving miserable.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I was hoping it wasn't something like that, but figured it was. That sucks.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have heard nothing but horrible things from that command since the old CO got fired.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They somehow find a worse CO than Dee Mewborne?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

They somehow find a worse CO than Dee Mewborne?

John Paul Jones himself would be a downgrade from CAPT Crozier so really we're grading on one helluva curve here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well I mean pinch hitter COs generally are poo poo, both because you're fighting up hill against a crew who probably doesn't like you and misses their captain, so morale is in the toilet, and the kind of person who would wind up with hot fill orders to command a carrier are probably not the best COs in the first place.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I ragged on USS Gabrielle Giffords but I can give the crew credit for making the best of an inauspicious start: https://news.usni.org/2020/12/14/lcs-uss-gabrielle-giffords-nabs-narco-sub-in-the-pacific

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1339594552143826946?s=20

The concept of surface commerce raiders into the 20th century was always such a puzzling continuation of tactics

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dorstein posted:

I ragged on USS Gabrielle Giffords but I can give the crew credit for making the best of an inauspicious start: https://news.usni.org/2020/12/14/lcs-uss-gabrielle-giffords-nabs-narco-sub-in-the-pacific

Bravo Zulu Coast Guard :)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Bravo Zulu Coast Guard :)

Not just transfer all the LCS to the Coast Guard or sell them to Saudi or use them for reefs and start building the FFG(X)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nick Soapdish posted:

The concept of surface commerce raiders into the 20th century was always such a puzzling continuation of tactics

That was before carrier supremacy and I thought the German ships were heavier than the British. If they had been able to operate in an area beyond shore based aircraft they would have slaughtered merchantmen.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Nick Soapdish posted:

Not just transfer all the LCS to the Coast Guard or sell them to Saudi or use them for reefs and start building the FFG(X)

Thanks, but no thanks. we have 60 year old cutters still chugging along we cannot afford overhauls every two years.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lightpole posted:

That was before carrier supremacy and I thought the German ships were heavier than the British. If they had been able to operate in an area beyond shore based aircraft they would have slaughtered merchantmen.

It was after carrier supremacy, Graf Spree just didn’t know it yet. TBF the British didn’t either. Just ask the prince of Wales and the repulse.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nick Soapdish posted:

No joke the best Coast Guard ship I ever sailed on was a Navy ship (WPC)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Proust Malone posted:

It was after carrier supremacy, Graf Spree just didn’t know it yet. TBF the British didn’t either. Just ask the prince of Wales and the repulse.

Naval doctrine hadn't changed to account for it. Without it, a heavy in the Atlantic would tie up a lot of resources protecting convoys.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

We say this, and continue to build 11-figure megacarriers for people to shoot missiles at

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cerekk posted:

We say this, and continue to build 11-figure megacarriers for people to shoot missiles at

Yeah but at least at the end of the day carriers are just floating airfields and those will be useful until [date]. Now if they will actually be useful in a near-peer/GPC war welp that's a fish of a different color.

https://twitter.com/chinfo/status/1339673324956364816?s=20

Snow! (I am happy I live where snow is not as often)

Edit:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1339776411083665414?s=20

Reminds me of when I was on Shore Patrol during liberty port in Spain with two Marines and we just got drunk instead of doing our job

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 18, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Proust Malone posted:

Repulse and Prince of Wales weren't sunk by carrier aircraft and until late in the war there weren't enough carriers to cover every square mile of ocean with air cover, so there was a place for surface raiders in naval tactics straight through until almost the end of the war.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Repulse and Prince of Wales weren't sunk by carrier aircraft and until late in the war there weren't enough carriers to cover every square mile of ocean with air cover, so there was a place for surface raiders in naval tactics straight through until almost the end of the war.

They were sunk by naval aircraft from a land base three days after Pearl Harbor but ok fine. Yes it’s remarkable how far the surface raiders got, but intimately they were a waste of men and material compared to submarines of all navies. The Germans knew they couldn’t compete on the surface against the Royal Navy both because of treaty and economy, but they built big dick swinging surface ships anyway because that’s what a navy was back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
When I was in, I was a QMSN on an FFG with a Coast Guard LEDET on deployment. My favorite thing was running up the Coast Guard flag during boarding ops... Because we were a Coast Guard ship for the duration?

I'm still not clear on the legalities there. If anyone knows better, please contribute.