Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reviews of Electric Dreams are not good. Sounds like a low-rent Black Mirror knockoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Well that's my chips pissed on but hopefully still warm.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

99% of Philip K Dick adaptations are dickcheese

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Buscemi and Cranston though...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's the sort of thing that I straight up wouldn't trust reviews for at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like I'm not totally unfamiliar with the genre. I watched some TNG and Deep Space Nine with my dad when I was young. I watched pretty much all the Stargate stuff. BSG. Random movies like Galaxy Quest. I'm not a fan of the genre but I've seen plenty and enjoyed a fair bit so I definitely noticed some of the clear genre cliches and archetypes.

So maybe it works on a really subtle level like that with hardcore fans of the genre. For me it just kind of made the whole thing feel like a not super interesting (or funny) version of those shows.

Nah, it just wasn't really well acted or directed or written for the most part. Maybe it will get better in later episodes and the overlong scenes of ships flying around in space and people wordlessly working at their stations was just a pilot thing, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to watch it again.

feedmyleg posted:

Early reviews of Electric Dreams are not good. Sounds like a low-rent Black Mirror knockoff.

"Black Mirror but worse" sounds absolutely dreadful, but I'm gonna give the first episode a shot at least because the promos have been pretty good and I've had to watch them for like a month now waiting for this goddamn show to come out.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 11, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

It's the sort of thing that I straight up wouldn't trust reviews for at all.

Yeah, I mean if it's faithful to PKD source material I'll love it.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

raditts posted:

the overlong scenes of ships flying around in space

Yeah the scene where they were exiting the docking station for the first time got an unintended laugh out of me. I was just like WTF, why is this going on for so long??? I thought for sure something goofy was going to happen, like the captain forgot his phone and they'd have to turn around. But nope, they completely played it straight.

Anyway I'm just not really a fan of shows that try to do a 50/50 mix of comedy and drama. You need to lean one way or the other. Chuck had this problem. The jokes were spread way too thin and the action/drama fell flat because the show didn't take itself serious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Better Call Saul is really good. Halfway through s3.

Started S3 this morning.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Does Insecure merit the hype? I'm looking for a new show with a small back catalog

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm 5 minutes into The Orville, and it's extremely by poo poo. This is barely even a parody. This is a star trek show about people who aren't up their own asses about being starfleet. There's just a fuckin ton of shots borrowed from actual trek pilots.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The overlong shots of spaceships doing spaceship stuff is like a gigantic part of the reason why I like The Orville.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like I'm the specific target audience for this show. I would make a thing showing some shot comparisons, but I'm sure some way nerdier people are already on top of it and it will be done by time I get off work tomorrow.

We'll see if it has legs, but it was everything I expected.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Numberwang posted:

Yeah the scene where they were exiting the docking station for the first time got an unintended laugh out of me. I was just like WTF, why is this going on for so long??? I thought for sure something goofy was going to happen, like the captain forgot his phone and they'd have to turn around. But nope, they completely played it straight.

Don't ever watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Snak posted:

I'm 5 minutes into The Orville, and it's extremely by poo poo. This is barely even a parody. This is a star trek show about people who aren't up their own asses about being starfleet. There's just a fuckin ton of shots borrowed from actual trek pilots.

Between these two posts and other reactions it seems like Seth saw how Discovery was going, said "gently caress it, I'll make my own Star Trek show", and tossed in a few half-hearted jokes into the script because the network wanted a comedy from him.

I have yet to watch the pilot but I'm pretty hyped to now.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 12, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lelandjs posted:

Don't ever watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Pretty solid advice all round.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first Star Trek movie is one of the only great things with the Star Trek name on it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's a pilot episode of an aborted Star Trek reboot stretched out to triple length with a bunch of slow pans across model space ships.

It's not even a Dune situation where the production design is amazing enough to make up for it, it's just generic 70s ship models and terrible compositing and beige costumes as far as the eye can see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guy Mann posted:

it's just generic 70s ship models

I makes me irrationally angry that you would say this about the Constitution Refit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

The first Star Trek movie is one of the only great things with the Star Trek name on it

Wrath of Khan?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

Wrath of Khan?

That's another good one. TOS, films 1, 2, 5 and 6, and the first and third reboot movies are also great

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think you meant 4. 5 was final frontier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
4 is trash. 5 is secretly great.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
More Teen Wolf gushing. drat they are taking no prisoners this season and also awesome return of 2 previous characters in a respectful and loving relationship (and both guys). I cheered when they kissed on screen. Malia is great when she plays off of different characters, she doesn't get much opportunity. It's still twee teen TV but it's definitely trying to rise above that for the finale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Want to see a violent show with Tim Roth and Christina Hendricks, where he swears like a Londoner and it's set in Canadian mountains?

Mee too!

Tin Star is real good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wrath of Khan is really boring.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Wrath of Khan is really boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUc1-df6XtU&t=40s

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Between these two posts and other reactions it seems like Seth saw how Discovery was going, said "gently caress it, I'll make my own Star Trek show", and tossed in a few half-hearted jokes into the script because the network wanted a comedy from him.

That sounds about right from what I saw. I'm going to give it a few more episodes because pilots are always a bit loaded down with exposition and introducing characters. This show could be good if it leans dramatic, or it could get really loving annoying if it leans too hard on Seth's garbage comedy, because it'll probably be really frustrating that the good aspects get mired down in bad jokes. That's just how I see it going based on him being involved.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The pilot was a star trek episode with the dialogue changed. If they keep this up, it will be great. Star Trek has always been about characters who are strongly principled and good examples of starfleet and federation ideals. But The Orville is about immature idiots who, of course succeed, because StarfleetThe Union is a post-scarcity Utopian society. And while it pokes fun at things from star trek, it doesn't break character. The holodeck scene is a great example of this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

4 is trash. 5 is secretly great.
5 only has 1 good line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYW_lPlekiQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Season 8 of X-files is putting me to sleep. Robert Patrick does a fine job as Doggett, but his character's just not interesting in a show like this. Scully as the true believer constantly talking in meaningful whispers isn't very good either. The character's completely lost her sarcastic edge, and Gillian Anderson doesn't really have any chemistry with Robert Patrick. I'm remembering why I stopped giving a poo poo about X-files around the time this stuff aired.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 12, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

The pilot was a star trek episode with the dialogue changed. If they keep this up, it will be great. Star Trek has always been about characters who are strongly principled and good examples of starfleet and federation ideals. But The Orville is about immature idiots who, of course succeed, because StarfleetThe Union is a post-scarcity Utopian society. And while it pokes fun at things from star trek, it doesn't break character. The holodeck scene is a great example of this.

I'll admit that the Orville surprisingly actually has a neat show-premise but the following episodes are anywhere near as boring as the pilot then that won't help.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't find the humor funny and the rest of it felt like a mediocre Star Trek episode. But it's probably better than Discovery.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The holodeck ogre was the one part of the pilot that was really funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.eonline.com/news/879384/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

JJ is doing Star Wars 9

Probably the best bet for closing the loop on this trilogy. Can't wait for parts 10, 11, and 12 and 13 and 14 and 15 and 16-20!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm cool with this. I think I would have rather they stuck with Rian, but I guess I'll have to see his movie first.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

http://www.eonline.com/news/879384/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

JJ is doing Star Wars 9

Probably the best bet for closing the loop on this trilogy. Can't wait for parts 10, 11, and 12 and 13 and 14 and 15 and 16-20!
Well I'm so loving down for that considering he did a great job with 7!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I'm cool with this. I think I would have rather they stuck with Rian, but I guess I'll have to see his movie first.

No way would he agree to do two Star Wars back to back. That's like taking 10 years toll on your life.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rocksicles posted:

I want new sci-fi. Incursion, Steven S DeKnight, where the loving gently caress is my Incursion...?

Band of Space Brothers. Get right on that Sir...

I will still never forgive Starz for not doing the most obvious thing ever, after the end of Spartacus, and going directly into production on Starz' Rome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

I think Johnson was offered it first but declined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got around to watching the Orville and, yeah, it's more or less what I expected. Dial down the sarcasm and jokes a little bit and you'd have a decently average Star Trek episode, albeit with slightly underdeveloped characters (I'll give it a pass for that, though, because all the Treks since TNG have had double length premieres to introduce the crew). The effects were better than I expected, though I anticipate more of the prosthetic aliens instead of the numerous CGI ones in the pilot, but that's fine and is more Trek anyway.

The score and sets were on point, though the cinematography was just modern enough to take me out of it--one thing that makes Star Trek feel like Star Trek is the extended three-quarters shots used during conversions between characters, and it was all quick head-and-shoulder shots in The Orville. They nailed the ship flight and bridge scenes, though. The score was good, too.

All in all, I'll give Seth McFarlane' Star Trek self-insert fanfic a few more episodes. The season trailer was promising.

• Locked thread