Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

You can tell a prozeebo from a nozeebo by how well they wall in and murder pursuers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I love catching Varians mid-charge in the zombie ring and watching them pinball around in there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Malthael on sale next week.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

I love catching Varians mid-charge in the zombie ring and watching them pinball around in there.

My favorite is getting ambushed by a Zeratul, toss a wall out 50 feet away, toss spiders and toad. Zeratul blinks away, and traps himself in the circle. :getin:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
As someone who is relatively new, who is a good streamer to watch for strats and good plays? The OP has some good guides, but curious to see some video breakdowns too.

If it helps, I currently play Diablo and Zeebo, and need to round out my experience with other types of heroes. What are 5 good core heroes to learn?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Valla
Sonya
Greymane
Rehgar

Fifth is up to you. Anubarak if you want another tank, Jaina if you want a mage, Brightwing if you want a healer.

First four I wrote are very strong at macro as well as their team fight roles and are pretty much always good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 20, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Nybble posted:

As someone who is relatively new, who is a good streamer to watch for strats and good plays? The OP has some good guides, but curious to see some video breakdowns too.

If it helps, I currently play Diablo and Zeebo, and need to round out my experience with other types of heroes. What are 5 good core heroes to learn?
Grubby is the king of HotS streamers. He's educational and entertaining. If I'm trying to learn a new hero, I usually watch a video of Grubby playing them. However, he's so popular he can't keep up with chat. Most less popular streamers will field any question you throw at them.

Chu8 has great educational YouTube content.

I would add Azmodan to No Wave's list, suggest ETC over Anub, and LiLi over Rehgar for learning to support and Uther for a second possible support.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why would you recommend uther to a new player and not rehgar, one of the most fun supports.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I dunno if I'd recommend Greymane to a new player. Greymane is kind of a risk taker. Valla though is one of the best characters for a new player

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Jaina is a good hero to learn. There'll definitely be games where you need that consistent burst damage from range and she's easier to learn than Kaelthas or Kel.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why would you recommend uther to a new player and not rehgar, one of the most fun supports.
There are a lot of ways to play Rehgar badly, e.g. his wolf form encouraging diving. Uther heals people, can peel and setup kills with his point and click stun, and is also 3k gold cheaper. Malf and LiLi are only 2k gold a pop and are great and Malf can even talent for waveclear.

That is also an argument in favor of Jaina or Thrall as assassin's to learn on top of Valla; they're only 4k gold each.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lili and Uther are rear end at macro. Anyone starting out will have to atone for the macro sins of their teammates so I'm sticking with the Rehgar rec.

ETC vs anub, idk, doesn't really matter, my thought process was that he's got dibble and anub is pretty different.

Azmo's just a weird character. He does nothing I enjoy in a moba so I don't recommend him in general. He's already got Nazeebo if he wants to siege hard.

Reminder that the guy was asking for core heroes - ie safe picks on every map/comp - not noob heroes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 20, 2017

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I would also like to throw in Dunktrain to the list of streamers, not as much of a memelord as chu8 and is more skilled than Grubby imo. Also interacts with chat a lot.

e: its just Dunktrain, he streams US evening primetimes most weeknights

Also if you are a filthy euro, cris is a good player that streams often, twitch handle is "crisheroes"

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 20, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is his twitch name just Dunktrain or is there some other letters in there? Does he stream regularly?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Lili and Uther are rear end at macro. Anyone starting out will have to atone for the macro sins of their teammates so I'm sticking with the Rehgar rec.

ETC vs anub, idk, doesn't really matter, my thought process was that he's got dibble and anub is pretty different.

Azmo's just a weird character. He does nothing I enjoy in a moba so I don't recommend him in general. He's already got Nazeebo if he wants to siege hard.

Reminder that the guy was asking for core heroes - ie safe picks on every map/comp - not noob heroes.

As quite a newbie as well, can you elaborate on what you mean with Uther and lili being bad at macro?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Star posted:

As quite a newbie as well, can you elaborate on what you mean with Uther and lili being bad at macro?
He means they are bad at waveclear and clearing merc camps.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Star posted:

Yeah post above me got it. It refers to how quickly and safely you can clear waves of minions and how fast/conveniently/safely you can clear merc camps.

Rehgar is a very popular choice partially because if you take the level 1 talent Lightning Bond, place a totem and cast lightning shield on it, you can take merc camps and kill minion waves incredibly quickly.

This is important for map control and pushing up to towers, but also because being near a minion when it dies gives you experience. Your teammates in QM and HL will often forget this and you'll be working very hard to soak as much xp as possible most of the time. A common way to do this is by killing a wave of minions on your way to an objective.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Nybble posted:

Those heroes cost either 2k or 4k gold, fit comfortably in your average team comp and are easy to play/not garbage tier:

2000G

Malfurion: heal over time, good damage and CC in fights for a healer, good waveclear for a healer, no mobility
Valla: mobile, very high damage, very fluid and satisfying to play, can be mana hungry depending on the build, low HP pool, need to use attack move properly
ETC: good CC, great initiation, less tanky than stuff like Diablo and more of a force multiplier for your team
Azmodan: great siege and (easy to use) global pressure, very large HP pool and a blink talent in late game makes him fairly forgiving

4000G

Jaina: very good aoe damage with a strong slow, innate defensive talent that you acquire through a quest, but still weak to very mobile assassins
Thrall: extremely durable for an assassin, amazing sustain, less damage and range than other assassins, very strong teamfight ult (earthquake) or initiation tool (fissure), fairly weak for the first few levels as he has to stack his quest
Sonya: strong at any point of the game, very good laning, good sustain, manaless, can initiate on/blow up a squishy with leap or brawl for days with the other ult, very consistent and almost never a bad pick
Muradin: a big fat sack of HP that just stuns everything forever, also has anti right click tools, just got reworked but seems very good, huge HP sustain
Johanna: same thing as Muradin, better initiation, more geared against autoattackers but can still do her job against mages
Anubarak: initiation, two AoE stuns, cocoon is extremely powerful, better against spell casters in general
Uther: healer with strong utility and teamfighting, still useful after his death

I strongly recommend Sonya, Malfurion, Thrall, Muradin and Jaina. Easy to play, fun, effective.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nybble posted:

I mostly watch nubkeks: https://www.youtube.com/user/nubkeks

He streams his own HL games but also does viewer replay coaching which are pretty handy for like what *not* to do.

He actually did a 5 core heros video recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXpkBKpPAPE

Greymane, Sonya, ETC, Rehgar, and Sylvanus is what he said.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
What's the trick to landing chromie skillshots and is it even worth the effort? I tried her for the first time last night and it was amazingly frustrating having to deal with the wind up time and that stupid quest to level up her q. Is she just supposed to sit on the other side of view obstructing terrain?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

just mash q and assume no one will dodge at the last second

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

just mash q and assume no one will dodge at the last second

Ah yes, the ana method, with the disadvantage that you can't yell at your teammates when they die because they're dancing like a lunatic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Erdricks posted:

What's the trick to landing chromie skillshots and is it even worth the effort? I tried her for the first time last night and it was amazingly frustrating having to deal with the wind up time and that stupid quest to level up her q. Is she just supposed to sit on the other side of view obstructing terrain?
You just play her more. You'll get a feel for it soon enough, even chromies at gold can feel supernatural if they're level 20+. Once you've shot ten thousand sand blasts (50 games' worth?) at people you'll start having a feel for how people move.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

After a long break from hots, my heart dropped when I saw my girl chromie had been changed. However, I have to say the new chromie fuckin owns and I clean up more than ever with her.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
5 heroes everyone should own are Sonya, Rehgar, Valla, ETC, and Nazeebo. All of them can be played on any map and have low to no drawback to being on a team. The only hero with a real learning curve is Sonya and that is just learning how to secure kills without dying. If you wanna watch someone whose good at the game, just play a game with me when I'm online.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

tcjimbo posted:

5 heroes everyone should own are Sonya, Rehgar, Valla, ETC, and Nazeebo. All of them can be played on any map and have low to no drawback to being on a team. The only hero with a real learning curve is Sonya and that is just learning how to secure kills without dying. If you wanna watch someone whose good at the game, just play a game with me when I'm online.

you dropped this :smug:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sonya owns. She tanks, she hits things, she breaks towers, she breaks your face. She NEEDS MORE RAGE :black101:

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

My guilty pleasure is sadly Nova. If I want to be absolutely brain dead I’ll que as her and bullseye players with her full one in the chamber combo.

And Lili is my favorite alongside Leoric.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

tcjimbo posted:

If you wanna watch someone whose good at the game, just play a game with me when I'm online.

:smuggo:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Seebach posted:

My guilty pleasure is sadly Nova. If I want to be absolutely brain dead I’ll que as her and bullseye players with her full one in the chamber combo.

just had a game where our nova was flaming our junkrat because junkrat is a 'no skill point and click'; he didn't like when i said 'yeah like nova' and got real mad

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Maybe junkrat should have stealth then he’ll truly be skilled

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

wow the brawl is by far the worst one they've ever done

edit: and got one of the new greymane's out of the lovely brawl's loot chest. thanks brawl

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 21, 2017

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Why is Artanis one of the only bruisers who clicks with me :thunk:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Why is Artanis one of the only bruisers who clicks with me :thunk:
I have a hard time with Artanis because his survivability is linked to repeatedly hitting the enemy. I think it would take a lot of practice to really get a feel for when it's better to hodor vs retreating to avoid feeding.

also his swap is hard to use and feels really lovely in a post-Garrosh meta.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Seebach posted:

cheer up, you could be one of those murky lovers

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Painful flashbacks of alpha murky

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

murky was so cool before they added fuckin tracer

god tracer was a poo poo addition to the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
No way Tracer vs Murky rules cause you can tilt them and they waste their pulse bomb on you. Oh no I'm pulse bombed oh well now I'm bubbled and the pulse bomb was wasted good work tracer.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Murky was hots original Satan cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

classic murky was the best