Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
AMD is asking for emails now before putting you in their queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wonder if that rumored 16pin PCIe 5.0 power connector spec means the 12 pin Nvidia plug is already a goner for Lovelace?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The year is 2025. ATX12VO has been adopted by the entire PC industry. The modern enthusiast PC now has a 6-pin power connector to the motherboard and a 24-pin to the graphics card

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

FuturePastNow posted:

The year is 2025. ATX12VO has been adopted by the entire PC industry. The modern enthusiast PC now has a 6-pin power connector to the motherboard and a 24-pin to the graphics card

Might as well just give us a separate outlet plug and cable so we can plug the video card directly into our UPS/wall already. :P

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jiffynuts posted:

Might as well just give us a separate outlet plug and cable so we can plug the video card directly into our UPS/wall already. :P

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I want the 3090ti to fly out of left field and include a PCIe 16x 5.0 slot to coincide with Alder Lake. That'd be an interesting comparison.

Other rumours I'm seeing are a new PCB with 2Gb GDDR6X which allows single sided memory, and no NVLINK so rip memory pooling for large datasets and the sick extra SLI frames in Sniper Zombie Army (or whatever).

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
And now my watch is ended.

The PSU came bundled with it which is nice since I needed a new one for the GPU anyway. I read it's a quality one, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia GTC is November 8-11 and has a Jensen keynote on 11/9. Wouldnt surprise me to hear them announce products that formally support PCIe 5 / CXL. GTC is normally not consumer focused, but maybe a 3090 Ti/Plus/Titan card with PCIe 5 support fits the bill enough for the pro focus.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 7, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
In a Win10 config with an 11GB GTX 1080 Ti and an 8GB RTX 3070, is there a way to flag the 1080 as a CUDA-only card? I want to bring it online for machine learning and extra oomph for BOINC, but don't want it to engage for anything graphical.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Way ahead of its time! :D

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jiffynuts posted:

For my science fiction dreams, I always hoped I’d live long enough to see an actual net energy output nuclear fusion reactor. Human ingenuity over long-enough time scales seems almost able to do what earlier SotA said was impossible.

Now I want a household nuclear reactor just to run my Goddamn RTX/N 5080ti.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DerekSmartymans posted:

For my science fiction dreams, I always hoped I’d live long enough to see an actual net energy output nuclear fusion reactor. Human ingenuity over long-enough time scales seems almost able to do what earlier SotA said was impossible.

Now I want a household nuclear reactor just to run my Goddamn RTX/N 5080ti.

Why stop there? Crack quantum computing and cut slivers of the processing power off of a mainframe service to home terminals

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FuturePastNow posted:

The rtx 3080 sells for 900 dollars used on cyberbay

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SourKraut posted:

I meant to ask when you previously posted it, but if someone checks the Best Buy app, and sees a card "In stock", but it says "Sold out" beneath the card, does that mean it's probably at that specific store, or that it is/was at the store, but someone already reserved/bought it?

So I went into a Best Buy that had a 3070 evga listed. By the time I get to asking it’s me and another guy from discord and they take their sweet time looking in the back. He comes back with an asus tuf 3070 ti

I tell him no not that one and he goes back and 15 mins later is like yeah that’s a mistag

Lol lmao

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

change my name posted:

Why stop there? Crack quantum computing and cut slivers of the processing power off of a mainframe service to home terminals

When you get a quantum computer for the home, I want it to run off 4 D-cell batteries with a sub-24 hour life span. I miss my boombox from 1983, and think carrying a quantum sound card on my left shoulder while my quantum GPU pipes ironically-HDR Yar’s Revenge into my data port would be rad!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man my turn on the EVGA queue came up. I signed up like… over a year ago??? And it just got to me? :lol:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man my turn on the EVGA queue came up. I signed up like… over a year ago??? And it just got to me? :lol:

Which one

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

XC3 Ultra Gaming

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Was selected for the newegg shuffle!

MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
and the MSI spatium m.2 2 TB drive

for $1004

hmmmmm

edit: gently caress it NEW GRAPHICS

Gahmah fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 7, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Alan Smithee posted:

So I went into a Best Buy that had a 3070 evga listed. By the time I get to asking it’s me and another guy from discord and they take their sweet time looking in the back. He comes back with an asus tuf 3070 ti

I tell him no not that one and he goes back and 15 mins later is like yeah that’s a mistag

Lol lmao

Why did you not want the ti?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

and they take their sweet time looking in the back.

the bastards

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Why did you not want the ti?

Not the greatest pricing for not the greatest card

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Gahmah posted:

Was selected for the newegg shuffle!

MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
and the MSI spatium m.2 2 TB drive

for $1004

hmmmmm

edit: gently caress it NEW GRAPHICS

Noooo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Alan Smithee posted:

Not the greatest pricing for not the greatest card

Oh ok. I thought maybe there was a downside to the ti versions, like slower or less memory or something.

Re:newegg shuffle - is the trick signing up exactly at 8/11am? I was only selected once, which happened to be the first time I tried and happened to do it at like 8:05. Too bad it was a garbage selection that day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought the Samsung 49" ultrawide monitor and if I hookup my work laptop through it's dock using HDMI it's fine, but the max resolution it shows is 3840x2160, but doesn't have 3840x1080, which is the correct 32x9 aspect ratio.

If I hook it up via DisplayPort it seems to have 3840x1080 as a resolution but the signal looks like this and doesn't even fit the signal on the panel.

I've tried a few display port cables, including the one the monitor came with to no avail.

The monitor is natively 5120x1440 but it looks like the Intel UHD 620 chip of my laptop doesn't support a resolution that large.

None of this is an issue on my personal desktop. It just works fine.

Any idea what could be causing the display port issue?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 7, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This may or may not work for you https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1446213499328376835

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This reads like some sovcit magic code stuff, why would they have to honor an order for something just because you give the SKU instead of the specific product name

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It kinda reads like a SocEng trick to make the employee get in trouble just so you can get a card, but without more information who's to say.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought the Samsung 49" ultrawide monitor and if I hookup my work laptop through it's dock using HDMI it's fine, but the max resolution it shows is 3840x2160, but doesn't have 3840x1080, which is the correct 32x9 aspect ratio.

If I hook it up via DisplayPort it seems to have 3840x1080 as a resolution but the signal looks like this and doesn't even fit the signal on the panel.

I've tried a few display port cables, including the one the monitor came with to no avail.

The monitor is natively 5120x1440 but it looks like the Intel UHD 620 chip of my laptop doesn't support a resolution that large.

Apparently if you get a USB-C to DP adapter/cable it might work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/llo55o/trying_to_get_5120x1440_on_an_intel_uhd_620_is/

Assuming you have an open thunderbolt port of course.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shifty Pony posted:

Apparently if you get a USB-C to DP adapter/cable it might work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/llo55o/trying_to_get_5120x1440_on_an_intel_uhd_620_is/

Assuming you have an open thunderbolt port of course.
Thanks, I just ordered one. Maybe it'll be a solution.

I still don't understand why normal displayport resolutions won't work. Even 640x480 has that weird garbling.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SpartanIvy posted:

this is more of a monitor thread question (I know it's mostly the same set of people though) but basically if this is the Samsung G9 Neo it's known to be broken as gently caress and Samsung is supposedly working on a firmware update, HUB tested a beta release and said it fixed a lot but not all of the issues.

even if it's not that one, I'd be perfectly willing to believe the same issues might affect other Samsung monitors too, I'm sure there's some degree of hardware similarity and code sharing/etc.

changing which input port it's using might help, as others are suggesting. Unplugging and replugging might too, maybe? And dropping the refresh rate might help.

My old X34p ran 3440x1440 on my skylake laptop's HDMI port without problems, but the newer X34GS (gsync compatible, vs native gsync on the x34p) wouldn't run at the same resolution (it saw it as 2560x1080 max) and since it's a work laptop I didn't feel like getting into EDID spoofing and stuff. I solved this by getting work to get me a dock, it does run properly off the dock's displayport outputs, I assume it would also run properly off a thunderbolt usb-c to displayport cable, or a usb-c to usb-c cable (if your monitor has a type-c input) as those can carry up to DP1.4 (for a thunderbolt 3 port). Basically the displayport is just a better output on old skylake laptops, and a dock may help since it often gives you "active adapters" built in. Personally I found the dell thunderbolt dock has glitches on its hdmi 2.0b controller though, it would occasionally glitch out just like you're seeing (although I don't think it's related here) after switching monitor inputs to the laptop, and you'd have to unplug and replug, which is why I started exploring displayport and type-c displayport solutions.

As far as cables, I would buy something that's bidirectional (usb-c cables are "active" in a sense and do have directionality unless they explicitly specify bidirectional) it just makes things a lot simpler from your perspective. These were the cables I came up with at the time - note that as usual, "3 feet" means 2 feet 6 inches and you'll be stretching it out at that. I am using the displayport to Type-c on my monitor's type-c input (although of course there's no guarantee that one works for you either - the G9 Neo is really just broken at the moment) since my other 2 displayport inputs are already used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VK7Q94

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PM1TX

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 7, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

this is more of a monitor thread question (I know it's mostly the same set of people though) but basically if this is the Samsung G9 Neo it's known to be broken as gently caress and Samsung is supposedly working on a firmware update, HUB tested a beta release and said it fixed a lot but not all of the issues.

even if it's not that one, I'd be perfectly willing to believe the same issues might affect other Samsung monitors too, I'm sure there's some degree of hardware similarity and code sharing/etc.

changing which input port it's using might help, as others are suggesting. Unplugging and replugging might too, maybe? And dropping the refresh rate might help.

My old X34p ran 3440x1440 on my skylake laptop's HDMI port without problems, but the newer X34GS (gsync compatible, vs native gsync on the x34p) wouldn't run at the same resolution (it saw it as 2560x1080 max) and since it's a work laptop I didn't feel like getting into EDID spoofing and stuff. I solved this by getting work to get me a dock, it does run properly off the dock's displayport outputs, I assume it would also run properly off a thunderbolt usb-c to displayport cable, or a usb-c to usb-c cable (if your monitor has a type-c input) as those can carry up to DP1.4 (for a thunderbolt 3 port). Basically the displayport is just a better output on old skylake laptops, and a dock may help since it often gives you "active adapters" built in. Personally I found the dell thunderbolt dock has glitches on its hdmi 2.0b controller though, it would occasionally glitch out just like you're seeing (although I don't think it's related here) after switching monitor inputs to the laptop, and you'd have to unplug and replug, which is why I started exploring displayport and type-c displayport solutions.

As far as cables, I would buy something that's bidirectional (usb-c cables are "active" in a sense and do have directionality unless they explicitly specify bidirectional) it just makes things a lot simpler from your perspective. These were the cables I came up with at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VK7Q94

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PM1TX
It's the SAMSUNG LC49RG90SSNXZA 49-Inch CRG9 (rolls right off the tongue), but as you said I bet they all share the same firmware more or less.

My girlfriend has a thunderbolt dock so I'm going to be trying my laptop with her dock after she's done working. I used to have an LG 3440x1440 monitor and it had no issues with anything until it died. I'll find the monitor thread and post there.

It feels more like a lovely Intel GPU issue than a monitor issue to me but it probably just boils down to Samsung not thinking someone is going to plug in a crappy work laptop into their fancy gaming monitor and vice versa, and not designing around that possibility.

E: my firmware is 1000.1 which is quite out of date so maybe that'll fix it

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 7, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The firmware that fixes its HDR related issues is live: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/?model=N0054074&modelCode=LS49AG952NNXZA

If you just bought the monitor, it probably didn't ship with this firmware so definitely install it. If you have the regular G9, then get this instead: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/?model=N0054447

I've heard switching inputs can take an annoyingly long time on the Odyssey monitors (even the regular 16:9 G7), but I this specific problem is not one that I've heard about so I'm not sure if it's the monitor's fault per se.

edit: CRG9 is different from those two and requires its own firmware.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

change my name posted:

This reads like some sovcit magic code stuff, why would they have to honor an order for something just because you give the SKU instead of the specific product name

:ssh:

not me

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Leave it to nerds to :regd08:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

change my name posted:

I think its more that the cashier doesn't give a poo poo and just rings you up to keep their stats green.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just to provide closure on my monitor/GPU issue. The firmware I had was actually the most up to date so that wasn't the issue. It looks like the problem is the HP made laptop dock. When I use a Dell Thunderbolt dock my girlfriend uses everything works perfectly at 5120x1440 at 59hz.

So off to Amazon I go!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LHR gg

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

loving nerds :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

is this really a workaround? it's just running a different algorithm alongside the ETH one to mine something else