Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

hhgtrillian posted:

More Rupert, the little kitten I found in the McDonald's parking lot. He is the sweetest little guy ever. He will purr as soon as he sees you and won't stop. Will roll on his back in your lap for belly rubs and a nap. I'm almost sad that I have to find him a new home. It will be the best for him though.

Well, I sent him off to his new home about a week ago. I cried the first several days because I missed him, but he's in a good home. His new name is Stormageddon(Dark Lord of All), which I approve of. Everything seems to be going well, and they have been giving me regular updates. They have another cat, and they seem to be playing more every day. They also have a dog that they say insists on giving Stormy a bath every morning by licking him all over. Hopefully you guys won't mind a few kitten photos.

Here he is napping with his new sister and looking adorable.

Here are just a couple of cute shots that I took before he left, with him laying on me and then stretching out longer than I thought possible with one of my cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Any family that names their cat "Stormageddon" is a good family to trust cats with. And Lord, those pictures are alarmingly cute. :kimchi:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Slendercat :stonk:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So right now it's about 91°F outside and we've no air conditioning in this house. I don't think it's a big concern, given that our orange tabby, Tweezer, still seems quite happy to just turn into a little cat pancake inside or outside, but should I keep an eye out for Tweezer suffering from heat exhaustion symptoms or be worried at all about heatstroke?

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Dragyn posted:

Since I have to give both cats antibiotics now, any tips for getting a cat to take medicine? Right now I'm pinning the cat and pushing at the side of it's teeth to get them to open their mouths, so my girlfriend can squirt in the liquid. I end up wearing more of it then the cat swallows and my hands are shredded, despite wearing work gloves. :(

Try looking up instructions for how to "burrito" your cat. It wraps up their limbs in a towel so you won't get shredded. YMMV. Lucky for me, my cats are too dumb to figure out what I'm up to until I have popped their jaw open and have the dropper in their mouth.

BUH. Just spent the last three days scrubbing cat poo poo off of every soft surface in the house. Turns out it was a stress-related illness, and was caused by some family visiting and making a ruckus in the house. Let it be known that Higgs Q. Boson is no man's prisoner, and takes being locked in the bathroom with the greatest indignity. I think he stopped howling for 30 minutes out of an 8 hour night last night.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

four lean hounds posted:

Try looking up instructions for how to "burrito" your cat. It wraps up their limbs in a towel so you won't get shredded. YMMV. Lucky for me, my cats are too dumb to figure out what I'm up to until I have popped their jaw open and have the dropper in their mouth.

I tried the burrito method with the torti once to cut her claws. It was an awful experience all around. She's far too wily.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Relevant to burrito tactics, I just tried for the second time to put Soft Paws on my idiot--this time, with rubber gloves on so the drat glue doesn't get everywhere. He normally is a bit fussy when I clip his nails but tolerates it, but when I was pushing the caps on (not when I was pushing the claw out) he was yowling and hissing like I was hurting him. :( He didn't act like they were hurting him after I let go, though, so I kind of doubt I did any damage. Am I doing something wrong, or is he just being a giant baby? If anyone has any general tips on how to make sure the caps stick, that'd be appreciated as well.

I feel like I--or he--should win a prize for having zero skin punctures after this. I did give him a ton of treats and praise.

Picture of said idiot and the paws in question:

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 18, 2013

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have a female cat, around 1 year old. And recently I got another one, a male adult cat (probably 4-5 years old).

This male cat was a street cat who used to sneak into my house to steal the female cat food, so I started feeding him too and before I knew he was living here. Both cats are fixed.

Problem is: they hate each other. Specially, the female cat hates him, she hates him with passion. He is usually calm and quiet and somewhat of a coward and mostly stays out of her way, but she attacks him. Several times a day. He is walking around, minding his business, and she attacks him. If he starts playing with something, she attacks him. Sometimes he is just sleeping and she attacks him. He never attacks her, its always her who starts. But he often strikes back, and it makes me worried (he is strong and 3 times her size).

This has been going around for months now, and still no change. Is there anything I can do?

Are you sure they aren't play fighting? My girlfriend freaks out when she comes over and my two cats play fight because she doesn't know how to tell when they are playing. PJ almost always starts the fights in my house because he is 1.5 years old and has a ton of energy. They fight for about a minute or two with light noises, (its like watching people spar and making noises with breathing and stuff) then they groom each other after. Sometimes it's a bit more often near feeding times but they really are just playing. Maybe upload video of the fights for confirmation?

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

Relevant to burrito tactics, I just tried for the second time to put Soft Paws on my idiot--this time, with rubber gloves on so the drat glue doesn't get everywhere. He normally is a bit fussy when I clip his nails but tolerates it, but when I was pushing the caps on (not when I was pushing the claw out) he was yowling and hissing like I was hurting him. :( He didn't act like they were hurting him after I let go, though, so I kind of doubt I did any damage. Am I doing something wrong, or is he just being a giant baby? If anyone has any general tips on how to make sure the caps stick, that'd be appreciated as well.

I feel like I--or he--should win a prize for having zero skin punctures after this. I did give him a ton of treats and praise.

Good news! Your adorable little razor-toed monster is being a huge baby. It sounds like you were putting the Soft Paws on exactly right and he's just trying to see if he can convince you not to.

I used them for about 8 years on all three of my cats and never had any trouble getting them to stay put. You do have to make sure that the glue gets all the way to the bottom of the nail cap, but not overfilled so that it gets balled up in/fused to toe floof. They should have come with (always used to at least) a tip that goes on the glue tube that is very thin that will help get it to the tip of the nail cap. It can be hard to tell with some of the colors if you have enough or too much glue in them, but they should be about 1/3 full (maybe a little less). I used to fill the cap, grab paw, extend claw, stick cap on, and if not too much glue escaped release toe as quickly as possible. Now admittedly, my monsters are chill enough for the most part that this wasn't too much struggle, though the smallest female did tend to try and play keepaway with her feet and the biggest one played the pathetic card to a tee. My suggestion is harden your heart and persevere. Do keep an eye on him to prevent him from figuring out that he can simply excessively groom his nails and eventually get them off. He'll do it for a little while right after getting them on, but should soon forget about them. If he keeps it up for long periods of time, start trying to distract him from his feet. I had to do that for the first couple of times that we used them and then they got used to the idea that they weren't coming off anytime soon and would quickly become interested in being a cat soon after application. I usually got 4-6 weeks before they started dropping off and then it was one at a time, so it was less traumatic to touch up. Good luck and your giant baby? Adorable!

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
What I learned driving cross country with a cat:

-Make sure you know where the vet prescribed sedatives are at all times, lest a family member pack them by accident.
-After making GBS threads, pissing, and puking on herself, my cat seemed to really enjoy receiving a whore's bath at the hotel.
-My cat thankfully does not hold grudges.

The first night in her new home, she created a canopy in my box spring. I can feel her moving around at night. It's like sharing a bed with a toddler that ate Pixie Stix for dinner.

I do have a question, though. My cat prefers playing with toys by herself as opposed to me dangling poo poo or tossing things her way. She does however, LOVE to be brushed. How much brushing is too much brushing? I brush her once a day usually but she'll harass me to do it again.

She's a 2 year old spayed calico and we live in south Florida.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Have a couple cat problems right now. First one is fleas. What do you folks recommend? I've tried a variety of products but none have been especially effective. Traditionally I've just ignored it since our cats have hardly had any at all, but we rescued a stray kitten a couple weeks ago and she brought in a poo poo ton. I've honestly had the best luck doing it manually with a flea brush, which has significantly cut down on the number of fleas living on the kitten, but I definitely can't get all of them, and it's much more difficult to comb them out of our long haired adult cats. They're scratching themselves like crazy, I'm scratching myself like crazy, and it's getting old quickly.

The other issue is that I can't really figure out our second oldest cat. We've had him a few years, and he's always been pretty vocal and friendly. When we brought in that stray female kitten 2 weeks ago, he predictably went through the whole wary hissing but super curious stage, but they seem quite alright with each other now. They sleep snuggled up together all day long, and occasionally groom one another. Aside from the older cat usually getting annoyed when she wants to play, it's all cool. But he's kinda just not the same. He doesn't meow anymore, ever. He doesn't follow people around the house anymore, or really have any interest in initiating interaction with anyone at all. He doesn't purr anymore. It's not as though he's being angry or hostile towards us, and he doesn't try to avoid us, but he's no longer my cool cat buddy and it's really bumming me out a whole lot. Is hiding the fact that he's actually pissed off about this new cat thing? Is he just not interested in people anymore now that he has another cat that he can reliably hang out with? We've always had our oldest cat to keep him company, and they've always gotten along great, but old cat is our only outdoor cat and prefers to stay out there most of the time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ofaloaf posted:

So right now it's about 91°F outside and we've no air conditioning in this house. I don't think it's a big concern, given that our orange tabby, Tweezer, still seems quite happy to just turn into a little cat pancake inside or outside, but should I keep an eye out for Tweezer suffering from heat exhaustion symptoms or be worried at all about heatstroke?

Our cat spends all day in the hottest room in the house. He could go in the basement, he always has plenty of water (he still drinks as much as always), but noooooo. My parents' cats are the same way.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Vargs posted:

The other issue is that I can't really figure out our second oldest cat. We've had him a few years, and he's always been pretty vocal and friendly. When we brought in that stray female kitten 2 weeks ago, he predictably went through the whole wary hissing but super curious stage, but they seem quite alright with each other now. They sleep snuggled up together all day long, and occasionally groom one another. Aside from the older cat usually getting annoyed when she wants to play, it's all cool. But he's kinda just not the same. He doesn't meow anymore, ever. He doesn't follow people around the house anymore, or really have any interest in initiating interaction with anyone at all. He doesn't purr anymore. It's not as though he's being angry or hostile towards us, and he doesn't try to avoid us, but he's no longer my cool cat buddy and it's really bumming me out a whole lot. Is hiding the fact that he's actually pissed off about this new cat thing? Is he just not interested in people anymore now that he has another cat that he can reliably hang out with? We've always had our oldest cat to keep him company, and they've always gotten along great, but old cat is our only outdoor cat and prefers to stay out there most of the time.

Two weeks is relatively short in the "we've changed something about our household, let the cats settle" timeline. His behavior change may be temporary as he is still getting used to the kitten. It has taken his attention away from you, and it might take a little time for things to return to normal. I hope that he returns to his cuddly nature, as cuddly cats are best cats.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

waah posted:

Are you sure they aren't play fighting? My girlfriend freaks out when she comes over and my two cats play fight because she doesn't know how to tell when they are playing. PJ almost always starts the fights in my house because he is 1.5 years old and has a ton of energy. They fight for about a minute or two with light noises, (its like watching people spar and making noises with breathing and stuff) then they groom each other after. Sometimes it's a bit more often near feeding times but they really are just playing. Maybe upload video of the fights for confirmation?

Hum, I will try to get some video footage, but Im pretty sure they are fighting. Ive never seen they actually playing together with a toy, for example. They will either ignore the other or growl at the other or fight.

Janete (the female) makes pretty clear that she dont like his presence, always growling and hissing whenever he is close, specially when he is playing or is with me.

Most times it goes like this: she runs to him and tries to hit him, then he tries to hit her back, then she runs away.

Also, they have already hurt each other in some occasions.

Sometimes it seems like he is trying to be friends with her. He will lay down and roll in front of her. That just seems to make her even more angry, though.

BONUS: pictures

This is Janete (the female)

This is Feioso (the male one)

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
So my roommate has been gone for the week and his cat keeps digging in the water bowl we use for my cat and his, Gizmo (The cat in question ) just keeps digging it all out and getting water everywhere. (He's been doing the same with his food too. )

My mom put a mat under the bowl and we had to move the dry food so it didn't get wet but he keeps doing it.

Does anyone know a good way to make him stop without making him think he can't drink the water?

Heres a picture of Gizmo

and a picture of my cat Indie

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Maybe he hates the bowl? Or maybe he likes drinking moving water, could you try a fountain)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Any reason why a newly spayed (like in the past two months) kitten/cat would start acting like she is in heat again? Chirping, meowing all the time, rubbing against the other cats (who slap her senseless), all the usual moves.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013

Huntersoninski posted:

Maybe he hates the bowl? Or maybe he likes drinking moving water, could you try a fountain)

He's only been doing this since my roommate left for the week, well Gizmo has dug at the water before he left but he's never done it this much.

I'll look into getting a fountain though, if I can find one cheap enough anyway.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vargs posted:

Have a couple cat problems right now. First one is fleas. What do you folks recommend? I've tried a variety of products but none have been especially effective. Traditionally I've just ignored it since our cats have hardly had any at all, but we rescued a stray kitten a couple weeks ago and she brought in a poo poo ton. I've honestly had the best luck doing it manually with a flea brush, which has significantly cut down on the number of fleas living on the kitten, but I definitely can't get all of them, and it's much more difficult to comb them out of our long haired adult cats. They're scratching themselves like crazy, I'm scratching myself like crazy, and it's getting old quickly.

I like Revolution as it also covers heartworm and mites, though Frontline also does pretty well usually. I hear Comfortis is now approved for cats and does an excellent job in dogs, though I haven't tried it on a cat yet. Since they're in your home you'll need to go down the home cleaning route too once you've started the cats on the meds - lots of vacuuming and washing. I find that it can take up to 3 months to remove most of the fleas in an infested home environment using meds.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Any reason why a newly spayed (like in the past two months) kitten/cat would start acting like she is in heat again? Chirping, meowing all the time, rubbing against the other cats (who slap her senseless), all the usual moves.

There's a chance that a piece of the ovary can be left behind in surgery, which can make heat signs happen but since the uterus is gone no kittens can come.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I have had Leon, a horrible bully of a cat for nearly three years now. He has come a LONG way, I can leave him with my other cats without worrying that I'll come home and find serious injuries but I can tell he's just not happy. He and the other cats are regularly scabby from fighting and sometimes will break nails. I finally found him a home I think he'll be really happy in, as an only cat at my dad's office.

I work at a pet store that adopts out cats for a local no-kill shelter. I have absolutely fallen in love with this little bastard. He is the WIERDEST looking cat. He's black with white hairs everywhere but his face and feet. He's like some kind of crazy inverse siamese. He climbs on my shoulder and rides around when I'm cleaning up our cat area and purrs in my ear. It's hard not to fall hard for that kind of thing. My boss has offered to hold him for me until Leon goes to his new home and I'm very, very tempted. Should I get kitten PI?

Also, what do you call that kind of color pattern? It's really freaking odd.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

SuperTwo posted:

I have had Leon, a horrible bully of a cat for nearly three years now. He has come a LONG way, I can leave him with my other cats without worrying that I'll come home and find serious injuries but I can tell he's just not happy. He and the other cats are regularly scabby from fighting and sometimes will break nails. I finally found him a home I think he'll be really happy in, as an only cat at my dad's office.

I work at a pet store that adopts out cats for a local no-kill shelter. I have absolutely fallen in love with this little bastard. He is the WIERDEST looking cat. He's black with white hairs everywhere but his face and feet. He's like some kind of crazy inverse siamese. He climbs on my shoulder and rides around when I'm cleaning up our cat area and purrs in my ear. It's hard not to fall hard for that kind of thing. My boss has offered to hold him for me until Leon goes to his new home and I'm very, very tempted. Should I get kitten PI?

Don't get that kitten. Send that kitten to me! I don't think I've ever seen this coloration on a cat. It is really cool. I'm curious to see if his coloring changes as he gets older.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

SuperTwo posted:

If you know that you'd be heartbroken if you went in tomorrow and someone else had adopted him, go ahead and take him home.

He's got a gorgeous coat. Google is telling me that the coat pattern is called "smoke", but I'm not completely sure on that.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

My Google searching says it is likely something called "Fever Coat" caused my the mother being sick while pregnant and will go away with age. That makes sense since the other cats in the litter also have similar markings, but not to the same extent. One has a white tail but the rest of her is black. :3: Even if it does go away he's got such a hilarious personality and is really attached to me. He leaves other people and makes a beeline for me when I go in and jumps up on my shoulder. It would really be nice to have a kitten to distract me from giving away a cat I've had for so long, even if Leon will be a million times happier.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

SuperTwo posted:

My Google searching says it is likely something called "Fever Coat" caused my the mother being sick while pregnant and will go away with age. That makes sense since the other cats in the litter also have similar markings, but not to the same extent. One has a white tail but the rest of her is black. :3: Even if it does go away he's got such a hilarious personality and is really attached to me. He leaves other people and makes a beeline for me when I go in and jumps up on my shoulder. It would really be nice to have a kitten to distract me from giving away a cat I've had for so long, even if Leon will be a million times happier.

Ahh, I'd never heard of fever coat before. It's pretty interesting.

Anyway, it sounds like he's already chosen you so you really have no choice. I had the same experience when I volunteered at a shelter 11 years ago. There was a little kitten there that would always settle behind me to sleep, and I grew too attached not to take him. I still have him and he makes me happy every day.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Disco Salmon posted:

My late kitty Gypsy LOVED taffy. Any flavor...she didn't care. If it was sweet she would go for it. I have always been told that cats cannot taste sweet, but apparently she never got that particular memo. She would eat anything and everything sweet: cookie dough, taffy, raw honey, sugar packets, fruit juice, ice cream/otter pops, peppermints, cinnamon bread, donuts, frosting, etc. It was hilarious to see what she got into, even though we kept it as inaccessible as we could.

So yes, some cats do like /love taffy...we never once saw her sick from it. Most she ever ate was two whole pieces she managed to grab from a bag and run off with.

That's wonderful to know. She's doing just fine; every once and awhile she'll go up to the tin I keep the taffy and start sniffing it. Now the only problem is keeping her and long-haired Ferdinand cool in a house with no AC.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I've never actually chosen a cat before, they always just end up with me. Voltaire showed up as a little bitty thing 11 years ago at my high school. Jack came from a shelter I was volunteering at but my mom fell in love with him after my favorite kitten that I wanted to adopt died of distemper. He and Voltaire bonded so when I took Voltaire with me to college Jack had to come too. A few years later Leon came from a meth addict that couldn't take care of him after he got really badly beat up in a fight and infected.

I'll miss Leon so much. He's such a sweet boy and if he didn't hate other cats so much I'd never give him up. I don't share pictures of my ugly mug often but this is just what Leon's like. He wants to be as close as possible and doesn't want to share his people.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SuperTwo posted:

Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkk

Congratulations on your new cat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Possibly picking up a kitten today for a '15-year foster, give or take,' from the rescue we work with, as she is extremely unlikely to be adopted, and can chill with the foster kittens for now. The reason the director thinks she won't be adopted ever? She has a prolasped rectum and might require some cleanup help from time to time. Has anyone else ever dealt with this issue?

HappyAlpaca
Nov 10, 2012
I'm staying on a marina in spain for a couple weeks, and there is a semi tame cat that the people in the kitchens are feeding (but not housing). She has recently been to a vet (some British tourists took her since she had an infected ear) and at some point has had a stroke. She has also lost a lot of teeth by the looks of it. She's very affectionate and sweet. While there is no way I can take her home, I would like to make her more comfortable. She has a couple of burrs in her fur, and I wondered if there was any good way to get them out without hurting her? If anyone has any other suggestions of anything that would be particularly good to do for this cat, I'm all ears.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Right now I've decided not to adopt him. :( That might change but the timing's just not right. I won't be able to take Leon to my dad's until late August since I'm in FL and he's in NJ. I could send him cargo on a plane but I'd prefer to take him myself. Being bullied has really made Jack, my short-bus cat rather skittish and I want to give him some time before bringing home another cat. If this kitty is still around in another couple of weeks and still attached to me like he is now, I'll probably relent and bring him home. :3:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
My cat's been having trouble going to the bathroom lately. I thought he was constipated, took him in to see if they could give him an enema and was ready to bite the ludicrous 200$ bill; turns out his bladder is blocked up and super engorged, and he would've died if I'd waited a few more days.

So they cleared out some of the crystals in his urine and he was able to go; now he's sleeping at the vet and I had to cancel my plans for going out tonight because 1) I need to be able to pick him up, 2) I am going to have a real hard time going out since altogether it ended up costing me 1200 dollars.

So I don't really have any questions. I know I'm going to make sure he eats pretty much nothing but wet canned food and I'm going to be watching his urination like a hawk. I'm just completely blindsided by this, it's making me realise how old this cat who was supposed to die two years ago anyway due to his heart condition is and how much it sucks to have to suddenly see 1200 dollars disappear. Neither of my best friends have responded to my text where I told them what a lovely day I was having and I feel like just poo poo in general because my cat's been having a bad time and now we're going to be two miserable dudes hanging out on the couch watching the rest of the world have fun while he recovers from his pain and I recover from being a broke sonofabitch.

I think this was mostly to vent, but goddamn from now on I am locking this cat in the bathroom every night with all the water running until he piddles on the floor, and cautionary tale to cat owners: if he looks like he's constipated and is trying to poo poo in your dirty clothes pile, it might be something worse.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

My cat's been having trouble going to the bathroom lately. I thought he was constipated, took him in to see if they could give him an enema and was ready to bite the ludicrous 200$ bill; turns out his bladder is blocked up and super engorged, and he would've died if I'd waited a few more days.

So they cleared out some of the crystals in his urine and he was able to go; now he's sleeping at the vet and I had to cancel my plans for going out tonight because 1) I need to be able to pick him up, 2) I am going to have a real hard time going out since altogether it ended up costing me 1200 dollars.

So I don't really have any questions. I know I'm going to make sure he eats pretty much nothing but wet canned food and I'm going to be watching his urination like a hawk. I'm just completely blindsided by this, it's making me realise how old this cat who was supposed to die two years ago anyway due to his heart condition is and how much it sucks to have to suddenly see 1200 dollars disappear. Neither of my best friends have responded to my text where I told them what a lovely day I was having and I feel like just poo poo in general because my cat's been having a bad time and now we're going to be two miserable dudes hanging out on the couch watching the rest of the world have fun while he recovers from his pain and I recover from being a broke sonofabitch.

I think this was mostly to vent, but goddamn from now on I am locking this cat in the bathroom every night with all the water running until he piddles on the floor, and cautionary tale to cat owners: if he looks like he's constipated and is trying to poo poo in your dirty clothes pile, it might be something worse.

That's rough. A blocked bladder is no joke and I'm glad you didn't lose your cat (despite the hit to your wallet). Crystals can occur in cats of any age, and they are always terrible and typically fatal if left untreated. I know the cost is steep, but you save his life and that's a good thing.

You'll have plenty of sympathy from PI. I just spent my week cleaning cat poo poo off of every soft surface in the house, and now have to catch a cat twice a day and feed him medicine. Take the evening and chill with your cat, and sing him songs of what a pain in the rear end he is but how you still love him. :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

For those worried about the heat, cats are primarily a desert animal (although they can survive practically anywhere) heat is not as huge a deal to them as with some other animals. Just remember to keep plenty of water and something shady handy. (then watch them sleep in hottest part of the house because it is a cat.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Catte on route to the airport, will post trip report and scratches later. JET ON A JET PLANE

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

(then watch them sleep in hottest part of the house because it is a cat.)
I can confirm this.

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:
So, I just adopted a stray cat that had been living on my friend's back porch for a while (she would've taken it herself, but she has two cats of her own already). I took her to the vet, and found out a lot of interesting things about her. She's got mastitis in 3 of her nipples, filled up with milk, but they won't empty, and she's not pregnant at the moment. In fact, she's in heat, and boy, is that fun! Anyway, the mastitis means she's running a fever, so I can't get her shots yet, which in turn means they won't let me get her spay yet.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it totally impossible to find someone who will do a spay to a cat who doesn't have her shots yet? I would gladly pay the extra heat-spay fee so that I could get some more solid, meowless sleep.

2) Has anyone had the experience of a cat who has no kittens left, having excess milk in their mammaries, but no way to pass it? The vet even tried to milk her, but nothing doing. He said stimulating it might even make it worse, as she might just keep producing milk. If anyone else has had this unique experience, what happened with your cat? Did the milk eventually go away? What the hell?

and

3) The first two days I had her, she was great about litter. Went right in the box, all the time. Then on day 3, I left her alone for an extended period of time, only to come back and find she'd pooped in the middle of the floor. I figure she was mad at me, because she'd also added a pee in the litter box, so she knew to use it...my old dog used to poop in the floor if he was pissed off. But today, she's been partially missing the litter box. Just with poop. She gets it half in and half out. I thought maybe the box wasn't clean enough for her, so I cleaned it, but she did it again. Why's she doing this? How can I stop her?

Bonus to encourage answering my questions: I will provide pics if someone could kindly remind me what imagehost SA is using these days. (I know I sound pissed off, but I'm just tired. I do love the little turd. She's affectionate, and much more playful now that the antibiotics the vet gave her are kicking in).

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Her butt may hang over the side of the box because cats are dumb sometimes. Try a covered box maybe, or one with taller sides?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What should the spay incision site be looking like after 6 days? The vet said nothing about cleaning the wound and only gave us some pain medication saying use it "only if she looks in pain". He also said to bring her in if it looks swollen; it doesn't look bad but it doesn't look that good :( She doesn't seem to be in any pain at all though and is moving around like normal.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
My roommate's parents are going out of town for a few days and have tasked her with caring for their somewhat old lap dog. I have been taking care of a foster cat for about 3 months now, she understands this place as hers. When I got her I was told she was a single pet pet, and was supposed to be homed in a no pet household to be sure she would be happy. I had that so she is happy.

I'm not foreseeing any issues regarding this dog being here, but since it's a small apartment, what, if any precautions should I take? Should I introduce the cat to the dog right away, hoping for the best, or should I keep the cat in my room, and then let the cat figure out on her own that there is a new pet around?

What, if any warning signs should I be looking for to indicate this is not going well.

I really think, though, that this cat won't mind at all. When I initially brought her home from the ASPCA, I was ready for her to be timid, scared, and hide immediately, yet she walked around the whole place within a few minutes, and an hour later she had found a favorite spot. I think she is quite laid back and also very sweet to new humans, so maybe hte same for a non-threatening dog?

Also, the dog I'm fairly sure was once in a cat/dog household, so the dog surely knows how to behave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
I've got a 6 year old catte named Abby. She's great.

I'm considering moving into an apartment that has a dog (a shiba) and another cat.

The male shibe and the other female cat get along just fine, but I'm worried about the introduction process for not just another cat, but a dog, too. The person who I got her from said that she had to be in a separate room during her foster time there, but it was because she got into a fight with a more dominant male cat and was kind of put off by it.

I can deal with a time sink (in that maybe it means it may be a couple of months that we have to live in the same room) - but if it might never happen at all ever then it's going to be a non-starter for me to move there despite very good financial reasons. Thoughts? Bad idea? Good idea?