Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
Is there a way to force a single app into tablet mode?

We just got Comcast Anyplay and it works fine on tablets, but not on my GNex. Is there a way I can make just the Xfinity TV app think my phone is a tablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
The first official CM10 nightlies will be available tonight for the handful of devices.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/17/cyanogenmod-cm10-nightlies-will-be-available-beginning-tonight/

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I love how android police is so hard up for 'news' that they have to quote a G+ post.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

Are there any good ICS or JB roms out for the HTC Inspire 4G?

If you're down with MIUI you can try miui.us for their ICS Rom. Link to release thread here. I used it for several months and really liked it, it's beautiful and the ICS ui upgrades are slick as gently caress. It did lock up on me every once in a while, necessitating a battery pull, but other than that I didn't have any issues with it. I've recently gone back to CM7.2 for a slight boost in speed and stability, but if you're looking to sample ICS on an Inspire this is my recommendation.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Slopehead posted:

I love how android police is so hard up for 'news' that they have to quote a G+ post.

Are you saying that CM10 nightlies are somehow not Android news, or that a Google social service is not a good place for an Android news site to source?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you saying that CM10 nightlies are somehow not Android news, or that a Google social service is not a good place for an Android news site to source?

Especially since the G+ cited was CM's, not some random guy.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
No I'm saying that most peoples who actually give a gently caress about that kinda stuff will probably be following the CM G+ account already.

\/\/ Way to stuff words down my throat. Believe it or not I do actually care and happen to follow CM on G+! I can't believe I'm actually having to clarify ripping on loving android police which is perhaps of the worst bastions of lovely tech reporting out there in android land. Christ you people are loving obtuse sometimes.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 18, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
"I don't care about it, so it shouldn't be reported on an Android news site."

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

No I'm saying that most peoples who actually give a gently caress about that kinda stuff will probably be following the CM G+ account already.

Surely you admit that Android Police is an incredibly niche blog for people who care about poo poo like CM nightlies. Sure, when CNN reports from Twitter that's funny, but Android Police is a nerd site for nerds breaking nerd news.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried the new jellybean MIUI release on their Gnex? I've always liked MIUI for the themes and popover SMS but I'm concerned it's not going to be tougher on battery and not as smooth as stock.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MIUI looks nice, too bad there's nothing for the SGS3.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Slopehead posted:

\/\/ Way to stuff words down my throat. Believe it or not I do actually care and happen to follow CM on G+! I can't believe I'm actually having to clarify ripping on loving android police which is perhaps of the worst bastions of lovely tech reporting out there in android land. Christ you people are loving obtuse sometimes.

Just because they're bad at tech reporting doesn't mean that reporting a G+ post was bad/dumb/stupid. (Because it wasn't)

I think you were a bit too eager to rip into Android Police.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I think you were a bit too eager to rip into Android Police.
gently caress da (Android) Police!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm SA Forums User Slopehead, this is my favorite thread on the Citadel and I approve of the above message. :smugbert:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So the only ROM for the USCC SGS3 is AICS? Or did anyone push some sort of CM10 nightly to these phones and I didn't notice it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Or did anyone push some sort of CM10 nightly to these phones and I didn't notice it?
No, there's no d2uscc device repository, but that's basically only because there's nobody to test it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm currently using the Euroskank CM10 nightly builds for my Sprint GNex, I wonder if I have to do a full wipe or if I can get away with just dalvik/cache going from this to the CM10 official nightlies.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Are any Nexus S 4G (or I guess GSM ones too) users here using TWRP 2 recovery and have had problems?

When I first got my phone a few months ago I went to restore my stock rooted nandroid from CM9 and it couldn't boot. So I reflashed it in fastboot and what not and was ok.

Then comes today when I just tried out the cm10 nightly and went to restore my stock rooted nandroid from last night because of cm10s issues, and it failed to boot. Specifically would dump me to the boot loader and at the top it said "Fastboot- no boot partition or recovery partition found". I definitely had it back up all partitions.

I switched to CWM 6 touch but I've always felt leery of CWM after some of the trouble with it back in the EVO 4G.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

I'm currently using the Euroskank CM10 nightly builds for my Sprint GNex, I wonder if I have to do a full wipe or if I can get away with just dalvik/cache going from this to the CM10 official nightlies.
You could probably get away with just wiping Dalvik/cache. There are some picks in Euroskank that aren't in CM10 so if things break you know what to do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Are any Nexus S 4G (or I guess GSM ones too) users here using TWRP 2 recovery and have had problems?

When I first got my phone a few months ago I went to restore my stock rooted nandroid from CM9 and it couldn't boot. So I reflashed it in fastboot and what not and was ok.

Then comes today when I just tried out the cm10 nightly and went to restore my stock rooted nandroid from last night because of cm10s issues, and it failed to boot. Specifically would dump me to the boot loader and at the top it said "Fastboot- no boot partition or recovery partition found". I definitely had it back up all partitions.

I switched to CWM 6 touch but I've always felt leery of CWM after some of the trouble with it back in the EVO 4G.
I'm not the biggest CWR fan but TWRP did push a recovery which wiped the /efi folder on the GSM Nexus S so their track record isn't the greatest. (That erases the IMEI on GSM phones making them all report a generic code which carriers will block.)

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

I'm not the biggest CWR fan but TWRP did push a recovery which wiped the /efi folder on the GSM Nexus S so their track record isn't the greatest. (That erases the IMEI on GSM phones making them all report a generic code which carriers will block.)

Well that sounds like fun. It makes me miss Amon Ra's recovery on the EVO 4G. That thing always worked exactly as it should have.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I had pretty good luck with Clockwork Mod till Koush decided to start pushing out updates which would bootloop your phone. This was around the transition from 2.4.5 to 3.0, nevermind "touch" recovery.

I've since moved over to 4ext recovery and it's pretty nice. Very stable, very informative and it marks your backups with date/time/current rom information. I'd highly recommend it if you're supported.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I had pretty good luck with Clockwork Mod till Koush decided to start pushing out updates which would bootloop your phone. This was around the transition from 2.4.5 to 3.0, nevermind "touch" recovery.

I've since moved over to 4ext recovery and it's pretty nice. Very stable, very informative and it marks your backups with date/time/current rom information. I'd highly recommend it if you're supported.

Yeah that 2 > 3 transition was rough. 4ext for the G2 was what I settled on for my friend as well, it's really nice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that 2 > 3 transition was rough. 4ext for the G2 was what I settled on for my friend as well, it's really nice.

Anything special I have to do to remove clockwork mod before I put 4ext on my phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Anything special I have to do to remove clockwork mod before I put 4ext on my phone?
Recovery sits in its own partition. Flashing a new recovery formats that partition and replaces it with a new one, so no, you don't have to "uninstall" anything.

That said there is a folder on your SD card or internal storage called clockworkmod where your backups are stored that you won't need if you're changing to a different recovery.

For those of you with low speaker volume on the Galaxy Nexus: Who among you is brave enough to try this horribly described fix? The OP is the usual xda thing where it's described in very vague terms by a non-native English speaker and the feedback received is a jumble of people who have no idea what the gently caress is happening at all so who knows if it works or not. Hopefully one of you guys feels brave enough to try this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Recovery sits in its own partition. Flashing a new recovery formats that partition and replaces it with a new one, so no, you don't have to "uninstall" anything.

That said there is a folder on your SD card or internal storage called clockworkmod where your backups are stored that you won't need if you're changing to a different recovery.

For those of you with low speaker volume on the Galaxy Nexus: Who among you is brave enough to try this horribly described fix? The OP is the usual xda thing where it's described in very vague terms by a non-native English speaker and the feedback received is a jumble of people who have no idea what the gently caress is happening at all so who knows if it works or not. Hopefully one of you guys feels brave enough to try this.

I'd rather suffer with low volume than use something from someone who has this in their signature:

(ok, I'll do it if someone non-retarded tries it out first)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'd rather suffer with low volume than use something from someone who has this in their signature:

(ok, I'll do it if someone non-retarded tries it out first)
The guy is actually from Asia so I'm willing to give him a small pass on the anime, but I tried it and got no noticeable increase in system volume.

What it seems to do is install DSP Manager from CM (along with Apollo for some reason?) and somehow that's supposed to do something? I really don't get it but I tried a phone call and text message before and after and both my wife and I agreed that there was no change regardless of settings and the max volume was in fact very quiet.

I enabled DSP to be the sound manager, I enabled the Speaker EQ and cranked all levels to the maximum and got nothing.

On the plus side, CWR6 seems to work quite well and is very attractive if a little too OSX/iOS looking.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone here using something like SSH Tunnel or some sort of VPN thingy to encrypt all their phone net traffic via their home PC or a VPS or a dedicated VPN provider?

How's it working for you? How are you doing it?

I use ConnectBot with a Dynamic Socks proxy over SSH. I don't encrypted all traffic unless I'm running over public wifi though. I'm not sure if you can do it with cellular data.

Edit: As for my own rooting questions:

I got the Galaxy Nexus GSM last week and it's amazing. I've unlocked, installed CWM, and I've rooted.

1) If I backup with CWM, it puts backups on /sdcard/clockworkmod - is that safe? Do I need to actually copy the backup off somewhere before flashing another ROM if I ever decide to? I thought flashing would format /sdcard too, but I'd love to be told otherwise.

2) Google Wallet is complaining that my device is now unsupported. Is this something I actually need to worry about, or is it just Google being especially careful?

3) Are CM10 nightlies worth running? Right now I don't see much reason to switch to CM since I already have Jelly Bean. I've never been able to run it before because my phones in the past have all been locked and relatively unsupported by the mod community. I'm not quite sure the advantages of it other than getting faster updates on your phone than you would from the manufacturer.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 20, 2012

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
For the Inspire 4G folks,

Are you guys enjoying the Blackout ICS 3.0.0 ROM? Honestly, I think it's laggy as heck and I have to set Rosie to Ultrasmooth in order to use a functioning homescreen. Going through the menus is really slow; a lot faster on stock Gingerbread. Anyone else getting this too? The previous JellyTime ROM I had was the smoothest I've seen on an Inspire (my mom prefers HTC Sense over stock Android).

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

1) If I backup with CWM, it puts backups on /sdcard/clockworkmod - is that safe? Do I need to actually copy the backup off somewhere before flashing another ROM if I ever decide to? I thought flashing would format /sdcard too, but I'd love to be told otherwise.
Well get ready to love because flashing a ROM doesn't touch internal storage ever. Fastboot flashing a stock image, however, will.

Frozen-Solid posted:

2) Google Wallet is complaining that my device is now unsupported. Is this something I actually need to worry about, or is it just Google being especially careful?
This I don't know.

Frozen-Solid posted:

3) Are CM10 nightlies worth running? Right now I don't see much reason to switch to CM since I already have Jelly Bean. I've never been able to run it before because my phones in the past have all been locked and relatively unsupported by the mod community. I'm not quite sure the advantages of it other than getting faster updates on your phone than you would from the manufacturer.
Right now CM10 is much less feature-complete than stock Jelly Bean. You can either have camera mods or Picasa sync in the Gallery but not both, other sync problems exist too, and some other minor things are broken. Like you I don't see a lot of reason to move either since stock Jelly Bean is so good. Some reasons you might want to once it's done (most of these have not been merged yet): Quiet Hours, inbuilt LED notification customization, inbuilt notification power widget, inbuilt dialer mods, lockscreen weather/shortcuts/calendar, statusbar mods, volume fixes, or 180 degree rotation. While I want some of those, the broken or missing features have never been worth dealing with to get them but your mileage may vary.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Well get ready to love because flashing a ROM doesn't touch internal storage ever. Fastboot flashing a stock image, however, will.

Does this mean even installed apps will stick around? Or do I also need to be running Titanium backups?

If I do start going ROM happy, what kind of things do I need to do to avoid bricking my phone permanently?

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to brick a gnexus permanently from ROM flashing. You should be fine as long as you don't go flashing ROMs for other phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Does this mean even installed apps will stick around? Or do I also need to be running Titanium backups?

If I do start going ROM happy, what kind of things do I need to do to avoid bricking my phone permanently?
Apps are not installed to the /sdcard" internal storage, they're in /data so you're going to need Titanium backups. When you flash a new ROM you need to wipe /data so you lose all your apps.

You really can't brick a Nexus unless you somehow damage the bootloader because you can always fastboot flash a stock image. Just backup in CWR before you flash something and keep recent Titanium Backups on everything and you'll be fine, there's very little you can gently caress up beyond repair.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Apps are not installed to the /sdcard" internal storage, they're in /data so you're going to need Titanium backups. When you flash a new ROM you need to wipe /data so you lose all your apps.

Ah, so then I even need to run Titanium to reinstall apps after flashing my current backup? Good thing I asked! I thought the backup in CMW was enough for everything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Ah, so then I even need to run Titanium to reinstall apps after flashing my current backup? Good thing I asked! I thought the backup in CMW was enough for everything.
A backup in recovery, or "nandroid", is a snapshot of your device. With it you can restore your device to exactly the state it was in when you made the backup. That's good if you're about to gently caress something up by flashing some poo poo ROM you found on xda.

What you can't do with a recovery backup is anything else. You can restore everything to exactly the way it was or not. You can't selectively restore applications or their data, you can't restore just your system settings, you can't do anything other than erase everything on the device and replace it with whatever was there before.

Furthermore whenever you flash a different ROM you have to wipe everything. Going from stock to CM? Everything is wiped. Going from CM to AOKP? Wipe everything. Anything to anything else? Wipe. So if you want to preserve any app data at all you have to restore something and that something is kept in Titanium backups. Bear in mind you cannot restore system data between ROMs as it will break everything (requiring you to restore your nandroid backup).

Make sense?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Make sense?

Ah, so the Nandroid DOES have applications and data? Okay, that's what I thought it was.

Last 2 questions (I hope!):

1) When you say you can't restore system data, does that mean anything with a red or green title in Titanium? Is Titanium smart enough to be like "this can't be restored" or should I just be careful not to do something stupid?

2) What do I need to do about stock OTA updates? Have I already made it so I can't get those any longer? On my past phones all I'd do is install Voodoo Root Keeper and make sure I used it to backup and restore root. Is that enough to be safe, or does having CWM mean I have to do something special to get the next stock update?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Ah, so the Nandroid DOES have applications and data? Okay, that's what I thought it was.
It's got everything that's not on the "sdcard", but it's only useful as an all-or-nothing thing. You can't selectively restore anything.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Last 2 questions (I hope!):

1) When you say you can't restore system data, does that mean anything with a red or green title in Titanium? Is Titanium smart enough to be like "this can't be restored" or should I just be careful not to do something stupid?
Red in Titanium means there is no app data at all to restore, green is system data which you can't restore across different ROMs (i.e. don't restore stock system data on CM). Titanium doesn't know what ROM you're running and will do whatever you ask of it, but if you look at the batch options you'll see that it clearly delineates between user apps and system apps for just this reason.

Frozen-Solid posted:

2) What do I need to do about stock OTA updates?
If you're on a stock ROM you will receive them.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Have I already made it so I can't get those any longer?
If you're on a stock ROM you'll get the notification to install them but if you're on a custom ROM you won't.

Frozen-Solid posted:

On my past phones all I'd do is install Voodoo Root Keeper and make sure I used it to backup and restore root. Is that enough to be safe, or does having CWM mean I have to do something special to get the next stock update?
This is exactly what you do if you're on a stock ROM although it won't flash from the notification, you'll have to use CWR to flash the zip manually but it will flash just fine so long as you made no changes to the /system partition. Let's say you flash a mod to change the power off menu or you delete a system app, the OTA will fail when you attempt to flash it but the notification will continue to bother you.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Excellent. Thank you very much for the extra info. The OTA thing is the one reason I haven't done anything at all to my Prime. Unlocking it takes away OTA updates, and most apps can be backed up using the ASUS built in backup app, so it's less of a big deal.

Hilariously, I didn't intend to do anything but root the Nexus and it wasn't until after I started that I found out rooting it required unlocking, and from there I just went all out with CWR and the works. I also didn't realize that unlocking wiped the entire system. :downs: Oh well, I'm glad I did!

This phone is loving amazing.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Frozen-Solid posted:

Google recommends you not use Wallet while being rooted, I guess because it opens a security vulnerability. It will still work just fine (I'm rooted on my Nexus S 4G and use wallet all the time). It's just them covering themselves if something goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Right now CM10 is much less feature-complete than stock Jelly Bean. You can either have camera mods or Picasa sync in the Gallery but not both, other sync problems exist too, and some other minor things are broken. Like you I don't see a lot of reason to move either since stock Jelly Bean is so good. Some reasons you might want to once it's done (most of these have not been merged yet): Quiet Hours, inbuilt LED notification customization, inbuilt notification power widget, inbuilt dialer mods, lockscreen weather/shortcuts/calendar, statusbar mods, volume fixes, or 180 degree rotation. While I want some of those, the broken or missing features have never been worth dealing with to get them but your mileage may vary.

Herein lies my conundrum. I'm using a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, and am currently using the Euroskank nightlies. I'd like to just flash to a stock Jelly Bean ROM, but XDA is just chock full of "optimized" and "lean" builds that I just can't bring myself to trust. Does anyone have any idea where I might just be able to find a plain jane Jelly Bean ROM for my loving toroplus? CM is pretty nice, but as you say, it's a little short of being fully cooked.