Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

I've gotten the same reaction from making croutons.

I've gotten the same reaction from making Baked Beans. :smith:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yo, thanks for reminding me I need to hit up Kam Man for something. Probably kimchi fixins.

And tea. I got a bit dizzy the last time I wandered into that tea aisle.

You and GoWithChrist, she loves that tea aisle. My favorite thing about Kam Man is the hot food at the deli counter, lots of strange animal parts. I once saw a mouse running across one of the cooking surfaces, but I still eat there.

EDIT: Kam Man snipe!

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

It could be worse. I get blase reactions when i cook from Ad Hoc or Modernist Cuisine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bread also really impresses people despite being stupidly easy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I made a pressure caramelized acorn squash custard tart for a Christmas party last night. All the sciencing of pressure maillards, custard egg ratios and doneness temps. What impressed people the most? The torch I used to brulee some sugar on the top. :psyduck:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I taught a cooking class once.

The women in the class were so freaked out by the fact that I brought in two whole RAW chickens that they could not pay attention to how easy it was to roast one whole. (the other I used to demonstrate how to break down a chicken- that was apparently too gross for words.)

The whole point of the class was "easy foods to impress company" My other demo was shortbread. Nobody wanted to try it with the lemon curd I brought because "curd" sounded gross. It was even store-bought.

They did, however, devour that roasted chicken like starved piranhas.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I made rolls a few days ago, which my friends now know is pretty common. I seared some chicken in cast iron, then threw that into the oven, which my friends still think is a little weird but they accept it as a "quirk."

When I put both in the oven at the same time, that blew their minds. "You can do that!?"

I have a smaller oven, so the humidity given off by the chicken steams my oven and gives the rolls some good crust. I was happy the day I discovered that, but what impressed them was that "you can cook TWO things in the oven at the same time!"

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Wroughtirony posted:

The women in the class were so freaked out by the fact that I brought in two whole RAW chickens that they could not pay attention to how easy it was to roast one whole. (the other I used to demonstrate how to break down a chicken- that was apparently too gross for words.)

The whole point of the class was "easy foods to impress company" My other demo was shortbread. Nobody wanted to try it with the lemon curd I brought because "curd" sounded gross. It was even store-bought.

How do these people think cooking is done? You don't buy a whole rotisserie chicken and say it's homemade.

Have they never cooked a bird before? Or meat in general? :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've gotten the same reaction from making Baked Beans. :smith:

You and GoWithChrist, she loves that tea aisle. My favorite thing about Kam Man is the hot food at the deli counter, lots of strange animal parts. I once saw a mouse running across one of the cooking surfaces, but I still eat there.

EDIT: Kam Man snipe!

Dude, the one in Quincy has a fuckin' banh mi stand. It's amazing.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I made a pressure caramelized acorn squash custard tart for a Christmas party last night. All the sciencing of pressure maillards, custard egg ratios and doneness temps. What impressed people the most? The torch I used to brulee some sugar on the top. :psyduck:

Don't worry, friendo, I am properly impressed by your delicious sciences.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well modernist techniques, when used properly, just produce really good food. Unless you're making powdered marrow and pumpkin foams and poo poo, no one is going to know you did anything out of the ordinary, other than the fact that your food tastes good. My thanksgiving dinner had sous vide turkey and modernist mac and cheese, but no one knew. They just knew that the mac was creamy and delicious and the turkey was perfectly cooked.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How do these people think cooking is done? You don't buy a whole rotisserie chicken and say it's homemade.

Have they never cooked a bird before? Or meat in general? :psyduck:

Two words: Sandra Lee. :gonk:

Seriously. I have relatives/inlaws who are squicked out by bones, skin, or innards. So everything has to be (HAS TO BE) boneless skinless tasteless (because we're also afraid of fat, and spices while we're here, so everything must be steamed). At that point, just eat some loving tofu and save the rest of us your bitching about "I'm not sticking my hand in THERE" (re: the giblets package in the turkey).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

dino. posted:

Seriously. I have relatives/inlaws who are squicked out by bones, skin, or innards. So everything has to be (HAS TO BE) boneless skinless tasteless (because we're also afraid of fat, and spices while we're here, so everything must be steamed). At that point, just eat some loving tofu and save the rest of us your bitching about "I'm not sticking my hand in THERE" (re: the giblets package in the turkey).

Coming from anybody else, this would be funny. Coming from you, it's loving hilarious.

Somebody posted a link to a cool fountain pen website in IRC quite a while ago and it had all kinds of cool demonstration videos set to relaxing music. I'm trying to find that website again (and no, it's not penisland) but without much luck.

Anybody know what the gently caress I'm talking about?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

dino. posted:

Seriously. I have relatives/inlaws who are squicked out by bones, skin, or innards.

I know people that are squicked out about people eating meat off the bone. Not doing it themselves, oh holy god no... even by others doing it around them. They are no longer my friends.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Coming from anybody else, this would be funny. Coming from you, it's loving hilarious.

Somebody posted a link to a cool fountain pen website in IRC quite a while ago and it had all kinds of cool demonstration videos set to relaxing music. I'm trying to find that website again (and no, it's not penisland) but without much luck.

Look for Fountain Pen ASMR.

Wait, why is it hilarious? :gonk:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Goulet Pens maybe? I think Brian's videos have relaxing music in them. There are a lot out there though.

dino. posted:

Why even bother trying to cook if you won't do anything remotely hands-on? I mean chopping veggies is fine but don't volunteer to cook a meat if you are that grossed out. This is more specifically regarding those stupid ladies at Wrought's class, not your relatives - if they're fine eating BSCBs all the time, more power to them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No seriously, Symm. There's this lady who's built an empire around "go to grocery store, and buy chikan. Then put it on a plate with prewashed lettuce. Tada! Dinner. And then for dessert, buy some blank cookies. Then buy some frosting. Then decorate the cookies with the frosting. Tada! Dessert. Now, pour a bottle of vanilla vodka into a glass. Drink it. Tada! Cocktail time.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

No seriously, Symm. There's this lady who's built an empire around "go to grocery store, and buy chikan. Then put it on a plate with prewashed lettuce. Tada! Dinner. And then for dessert, buy some blank cookies. Then buy some frosting. Then decorate the cookies with the frosting. Tada! Dessert. Now, pour a bottle of vanilla vodka into a glass. Drink it. Tada! Cocktail time.

I'm not sure you have the order in which those courses get served quite right.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Why even bother trying to cook if you won't do anything remotely hands-on? I mean chopping veggies is fine but don't volunteer to cook a meat if you are that grossed out. This is more specifically regarding those stupid ladies at Wrought's class, not your relatives - if they're fine eating BSCBs all the time, more power to them.

Please google "kwanzaa cake" :allears:

Edit: I guess you were more referring to Dino's relatives than Sandra Lee

But if anyone has no clue what I'm referencing, do it. Google "kwanzaa cake".

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 17, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The Awful iPhone app has updated. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but it seems very modern.

Also, I am having a Sandra Lee Christmas party with a bunch of cooks. We're going to buy premade things, get drunk, and attempt to cook. Also tacky Christmas sweaters.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

What's the IRC channel these days?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Totally Reasonable posted:

What's the IRC channel these days?

#foodchat on synirc

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Wroughtirony posted:

Are...you. Just. Wow.
That's brutal. The breaking down part, okay, maybe I get that. The roasting it? Or making shortbread with lemon curd? Wow.
But that being said, the wife hates pulling the giblet's out of the turkey. Anything else to do with it? No worries. But the giblets freak her out.
Chasing her around with them making horrible undead turkey sounds is always the correct response, yes? :)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Me in Reverse posted:

Please google "kwanzaa cake" :allears:

Edit: I guess you were more referring to Dino's relatives than Sandra Lee

But if anyone has no clue what I'm referencing, do it. Google "kwanzaa cake".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQbWeNQpiA

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

She looks so sad and dead. I feel bad for her. She doesn't seem to have any passion whatsoever.

That could be the years of functional alcoholism, I guess.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
oh where would we be without aunt sandy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I noticed this weekend that my market sells rennet tablets, so I bought some and picked up some citric acid too. Now I want to make mozzarella. Anyone have a tried and true guide they can recommend? Is it even worth making with pasteurized milk? Other fun projects/cheese using rennet?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Goulet Pens maybe? I think Brian's videos have relaxing music in them. There are a lot out there though.

It's not that. I want to say gravity linked it originally. It had a video demonstrating how to fill a fountain pen with a piston filling mechanism set to piano music and might have been a Japanese company, although the website was mostly in English.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Siochain posted:

Are...you. Just. Wow.
That's brutal. The breaking down part, okay, maybe I get that. The roasting it? Or making shortbread with lemon curd? Wow.
But that being said, the wife hates pulling the giblet's out of the turkey. Anything else to do with it? No worries. But the giblets freak her out.
Chasing her around with them making horrible undead turkey sounds is always the correct response, yes? :)

well, they were fine with the shortbread, it was the lemon curd they were hesitant to try. Once the alpha wife decided it was tasty they all ate it, though.

I don't know what their deal was- I think they were expecting something other than what they got, obviously. Maybe they were expecting me to demo pre-marinated pork loin or something. Maybe (probably) I used the word "carcass" too many times. I remember I refrained from pointing out joints and knife cuts using my own body, which for me is admirable restraint.

I don't think teaching is my calling in life.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I "got" to meet sandra lee. She told slurred to me that I looked like kenny loggins

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I noticed this weekend that my market sells rennet tablets, so I bought some and picked up some citric acid too. Now I want to make mozzarella. Anyone have a tried and true guide they can recommend? Is it even worth making with pasteurized milk? Other fun projects/cheese using rennet?

I have both of these so I am interested to know what you find out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

I "got" to meet sandra lee. She told slurred to me that I looked like kenny loggins

Were you the one who met her at some show taping where she couldn't even do poo poo like making a piping bag out of a ziploc bag, even though that's what she was supposed to be demonstrating for the episode? And she had to have a crewmember do it for her?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's not that. I want to say gravity linked it originally. It had a video demonstrating how to fill a fountain pen with a piston filling mechanism set to piano music and might have been a Japanese company, although the website was mostly in English.

It may not have been this video, but I think you would like this company's uploaded videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYjDttVR3A

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I just had a crazed late-night idea: pasta with a cream sauce with ham, parmigiano and dried laver. You know, like they eat in China and Korea. Fuuck, I have to try this. Possibly it'll turn into an umami singularity.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It may not have been this video, but I think you would like this company's uploaded videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYjDttVR3A

Sweet Jesus, that's the one! Thanks!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

I just had a crazed late-night idea: pasta with a cream sauce with ham, parmigiano and dried laver. You know, like they eat in China and Korea. Fuuck, I have to try this. Possibly it'll turn into an umami singularity.

I once had glass noodles with a sriracha cream sauce, fried pancetta, and dashi. It was pretty tasty, but I was drunk, so it might have actually been terrible.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

But that's exactly what people do. I work in a grocery store and people ask me if we sell "homemade" everything, from chex mix to sweet potatoes. And when I tell them "sorry sir, but if you want homemade [thing] you'll have to make it yourself. At home. We do however sell the ingredients for that and I can help you find them, though." they look at me like I just told them they need to draw a bloody pentagram on their oven and conjure it from the depths.

I seriously think that some of these people see cooking as some kind of magic.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I seriously think that some of these people see cooking as some kind of magic.

They do. And recipes are spells that must be followed to the letter, lest the Powers rain down disaster at Their dark pleasure.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Dude, the one in Quincy has a fuckin' banh mi stand. It's amazing.

Yup, that's the one I shop at. I don't get Banh Mi there, though, because I only get those from my favorite place in Randolph:
http://www.nhsaigonsub.com/

It's run by a married couple that I adore, and their food is amazing. I will pimp the place left and right because I want them to stay in business!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sjurygg posted:

They do. And recipes are spells that must be followed to the letter, lest the Powers rain down disaster at Their dark pleasure.

I haven't actually laughed at a post in a long time but this made me do it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

And yet, cooks get paid poo poo most of the time.

e: I am literally a wizard. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

e: I am literally a wizard. Good to know.

Anyone on my side of the family who uses anything more than salt, black pepper, garlic powder or onion powder is either a wizard or wrong. Mom can bake pretty good, but they think I'm crazy because sometimes there's rosemary involved with my food and "we don't use all them spices or herbs or whatever they are around here". It's kinda cute.