Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Koei seem intent on marketing it as 'omg the darkest Warriors evar!!!' but it's not like Berserk is hurting for other things besides what happens to Caska to use for that, even if that is part of one of the pivotal moments in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I got Pirate Warriors 3 in the sale and that game is real good so far. Only up to Arlong Park so far, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pirate Warriors 3 seems to have the best obligatory-grinding-system of all the Warriors games that I've played.
It's straight-forward and you don't need to mess around with buying/selling/combing weapons that are all the same anyways except for some stats, and the skill system in PW3 covers the customization part nicely.

Also you don't seem to need a guide to figure out how to get rare coins, unlike rare weapons in DW for example, where you have no loving idea how to get them if you don't look it up.

Also also, whoever decided to put the Beli Growth system in the game needs a raise.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I really hate it when something is true to the source material, I wish they would make things less violent and rapey.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one is saying that, just that it's a weird thing to emphasise so much in the trailers.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mikeycp posted:

I got Pirate Warriors 3 in the sale and that game is real good so far. Only up to Arlong Park so far, though.

I played it for about 70 hours on ps4 earlier this year and I'm still very tempted to get it again

it good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Belzac posted:

I really hate it when something is true to the source material, I wish they would make things less...rapey.

same

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Sakurazuka posted:

No one is saying that, just that it's a weird thing to emphasise so much in the trailers.

It's the most defining moment in the main character's life and constantly replayed in his thoughts. It appears more than just the one time in the manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"We're selling a sexy costume for a rape victim" is pretty gross even if it's technically true to the canon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's extremely vital that this hack and slash game based on a violent comic lean heavily on the rape angle in the advertising instead of the violence.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Berzerk has a lot of disturbing moments but what's pretty surprising is that they are willing to use that kind of content to advertise the game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ImpAtom posted:

"We're selling a sexy costume for a rape victim" is pretty gross even if it's technically true to the canon.

I mean, every Guts has like 3 post rape victim costumes in this game and he's pretty sexy imo.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

You don't understand guys, that white shirt that gets wetter and more transparent with play time, exclusively available for early purchase and preorders at participating retailers (see website for details), is extremely important to the Berzerk Musou experience.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Dynasty Warriors SRPG might be coming overseas.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always thought that wet tshirt stuff was from when she and Guts shower together at the waterfall before making gently caress berserker. But I'm probably misremembering. I haven't seen the show in ages.

All the characters should have wet tshirts. Griffith is naked more than anyone in the show.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jimbot posted:

I always thought that wet tshirt stuff was from when she and Guts shower together at the waterfall before making gently caress berserker. But I'm probably misremembering. I haven't seen the show in ages.

All the characters should have wet tshirts. Griffith is naked more than anyone in the show.

I think the same.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really surprising since Koei localises everything now, I've heard it's not great though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really surprising since Koei localises everything now, I've heard it's not great though.

ill buy it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Figures

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish Warriors games were better at explaining how exactly their characters work.
A lot of characters have fancy gimmicks to them or certain combos that do something special, which is great but the games rarely explain what they do exactly and even the massive Dynasty Warriors wiki doesn't always explain what certain characters do.

Warriors games are in dire need of Prima guides, or something like that, IMO.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Jack Trades posted:

I wish Warriors games were better at explaining how exactly their characters work.
A lot of characters have fancy gimmicks to them or certain combos that do something special, which is great but the games rarely explain what they do exactly and even the massive Dynasty Warriors wiki doesn't always explain what certain characters do.

This.

For example in OPPW3 some characters 'taunt' action doesn't really do anything other than an animation or slight visual change and other characters have a attack boosts from them or other stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

This.

For example in OPPW3 some characters 'taunt' action doesn't really do anything other than an animation or slight visual change and other characters have a attack boosts from them or other stuff.

Or the funky skeleton with an afro that can do different buffs if you do...something...after a combo and every combo has a different looking buff that does...something.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Jack Trades posted:

Or the funky skeleton with an afro that can do different buffs if you do...something...after a combo and every combo has a different looking buff that does...something.

Hell, I'm a fan of the series and I still find it all very confusing.

I do love how instead of splitting one character up into entirely different selections for different points in the story you just have costumes though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jack Trades posted:

Agatha from HW is a prime example, cause I decided to try her out last night and was really confused. And I had already figured out Darunia and Ruto already which are already kinda funkier characters already. Like I literally wasn't expecting Agatha to basically have no carry forward on her attack string (even S1 and S2) and I had to read an internet guide to realize you have to juggle with her and combo into her butterfly strong attack or something instead of using it to divebomb on people. And then I hear her adventure mode stages are intentionally hard too. :\

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

Hell, I'm a fan of the series and I still find it all very confusing.

I do love how instead of splitting one character up into entirely different selections for different points in the story you just have costumes though.
Yeah definitely.

Of all the Warriors games I've played (I'm on PC only, so no Hyrule Warriors for me) Pirate Warriors 3 seems like the best one gameplay-wise. All the mechanics really work well together unlike all the other Warriors games that are also great but do usually have something that doesn't work quite right.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
True. Lianshi's crossbow is a prime example. The game never explains her spread shot. For the record; after C4, C5, or C6 she'll fire a much larger amount and spread of shots with her normal attacks, with added fire damage, for about 7 seconds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I always championed PW3 as the best combat game because:
-The usual Strong button is an actual string starter for a whole another combo list unlike 99% other warriors game which is basically just a limp charge attack or mook-only tool.
-Taunt and the range shoulder button actually add something, sometimes adding yet another list of combo potential.
-There are actual archtypes, like long range and grappler.
-Characters themselves feel unique even as just assist attacks.
-The dodge cancel adds another layer that improves some characters from unplayable to gamebreaking.

The only major con is gently caress thrill barker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fuuuck meee!
Getting those Oars coins took waaay longer than it should. I had to run that mission 4 times, ~30 minutes each.

I'm still wonder how you're supposed to fight enemies with hyper armor (glowing yellow). This is how it seems like you're supposed to fight them.

Do quick combos on them while dodging through their attacks with chain dashes.
Slowly bring their stun to 0 that way.
Do a proper combo to kill them.

Did I get that right? Is there anything I'm missing there?
Cause I feel like the enemies with hyper armor are my bigger problem.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are you not going into nakama mode? It powers up your assists and stats, and you can do the team super at the last pixel of the metet for full damage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Are you not going into nakama mode? It powers up your assists and stats, and you can do the team super at the last pixel of the metet for full damage.

I am but it's not always available and it doesn't do anything about the fact that you can't juggle enemies that glow yellow.
I prefer spending it on clearing out territories and huge groups of enemies, because that way I can rack up a poo poo ton of !'s and get S-ranks easier.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Tae posted:

I always championed PW3 as the best combat game because:
-The usual Strong button is an actual string starter for a whole another combo list unlike 99% other warriors game which is basically just a limp charge attack or mook-only tool.
-Taunt and the range shoulder button actually add something, sometimes adding yet another list of combo potential.
-There are actual archtypes, like long range and grappler.
-Characters themselves feel unique even as just assist attacks.
-The dodge cancel adds another layer that improves some characters from unplayable to gamebreaking.

The only major con is gently caress thrill barker.

I'd love to suggest Kamen Rider Battride War Genesis, which has a lot of the things you just listed, especially the archetypes (hell, with all the form changing that goes in in Kamen Rider several characters can switch between archetypes on the fly. Kamen Rider Kuuga for example can be a slow, strong swordsman, an agile crossbow wielder, a high-jumping spearman or a jack-of-all-trades barehanded brawler) except for the fact that it's only available in Japan and thus is entirely in Japanese. If you can somehow manage to get over that hurdle (and especially if you love both Warriors-style games and Kamen Rider) you can't really go wrong. I will admit that the endgame is a tad lackluster but that's about it really.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So apparently the standalone Nobanaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension is available in english now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/375450/

Is this any more interesting than base SoI?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

I am but it's not always available and it doesn't do anything about the fact that you can't juggle enemies that glow yellow.
I prefer spending it on clearing out territories and huge groups of enemies, because that way I can rack up a poo poo ton of !'s and get S-ranks easier.

You want to be in Nakama Mode whenever possible, unless like you're trudging through an empty area with literally 0 enemies. Your meter recharges super fast, way faster than super mode in most musou games, especially whichever character is currently in hero mode, and it gives massive stat bonuses and opens up additional combos.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I bought DW8XL on a whim today, the last and only musou game I've ever played was DW4 way back when I was in middle school (unless Drakengard counts?), and I'm very overwhelmed by a lot of the game mechanics I don't recognize like a billion options for equippable secondary weapons and storm bursts and such. How much of this do I actually have to worry about to murder things good

Also is any of the DLC unlockable through progressing through the game normally? I'm interested in some of the costume stuff (especially the old DW4 outfits).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just play through the tutorial. It'll explain everything you need to know about basic mechanics.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

melodicwaffle posted:

I bought DW8XL on a whim today, the last and only musou game I've ever played was DW4 way back when I was in middle school (unless Drakengard counts?), and I'm very overwhelmed by a lot of the game mechanics I don't recognize like a billion options for equippable secondary weapons and storm bursts and such. How much of this do I actually have to worry about to murder things good

Also is any of the DLC unlockable through progressing through the game normally? I'm interested in some of the costume stuff (especially the old DW4 outfits).

As Jack Trades said, the tutorial will explain all the relevant game mechanics. Weapons you can leave alone until you're comfortable with the killing, but experimentation isn't a bad idea since a lot of them are really fun. As for the DLC, you'll have to pay for anything and evrything you want. Tecmo Koei loves to gouge the hell out of their players for costumes.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/791648393420349441

KT not wasting any time in porting something to the Switch

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The GIG posted:

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/791648393420349441

KT not wasting any time in porting something to the Switch

Out of all Japanese developers, they seem the best at supporting consoles at launch. Hell, they had two games for the Wii U launch, an updated version of Warriors Orochi 3 & Ninja Gaiden 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yo I've spent the past 5 hours with Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension and it's essentially Nobunaga's Ambition x Samurai Warriors 3: Empires. It's pretty incredible that they took SW3E's Castle Town and made it a fully fleshed out city builder and incorporated all these neat competitive co-op missions with sub-objectives you compete with fellow officers to complete for honor and shared allied land that you have to scramble to claim before a neighbor does. I'm barely anywhere in the first scenario right now but I'm having a great time of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yo I've spent the past 5 hours with Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension

Is there a way to play as a custom officer that's a part of of one of the historical clans? I can't seem to find a way to play as a custom character that isn't in their own custom clan.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 31, 2016