Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The horse meat compliments the ginger nicely, giving you a well rounded full bodied cookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Please do not insult traditional Swedish horse cookie.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I often go out for late night eats.

Rarely. i go out for quick food.

Even more rarely, my girlfriend makes love with me.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:yikes:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Waffle House index is a real thing though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.63bc99ff5214

http://www.marketplace.org/2015/03/04/business/when-disaster-strikes-fema-turns-waffle-house

My best friend lived in Joplin, MO, and was there when the tornados tried to wipe it off the map. That Waffle House fed a lot of newly-homeless people.

I enjoy it. It's good food and service at that price point.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 19, 2017

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've been to a deep deep southern Waffle House.

Son, that was an experience.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm going to go to pancake manor and complain about the lovely food and service

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

J/k it's good if never be a dick to fellow waitstaff, also they make great spearmint shakes

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Do y'all ever have off days/weeks? I've been off my game all week this week and I am hoping for a rebound tomorrow before my weekend.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Recoome posted:

J/k it's good if never be a dick to fellow waitstaff, also they make great spearmint shakes

Spearmint... Shake? Explain.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Verisimilidude posted:

Do y'all ever have off days/weeks? I've been off my game all week this week and I am hoping for a rebound tomorrow before my weekend.

I'm usually off my game when its slow. Idle hands and all that. Really need some vacation time.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verisimilidude posted:

Off days? Yeah. Off weeks? Rarely but goddamn is that week hell just you spinning around going wtf am I doing?!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Verisimilidude posted:

eat food and stop drinking before work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm usually off my game when its slow. Idle hands and all that. Really need some vacation time.

Come out to LA. It's surprisingly loving awesome here.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I miss LA. :(

E especially for Chinese and Mexican food. There are Mexicans here, but it's not the same.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

remote control carnivore posted:

I miss LA. :(

E especially for Chinese and Mexican food. There are Mexicans here, but it's not the same.

I miss Mission-style burritos at 2 in the morning.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Samizdata posted:

I miss Mission-style burritos at 2 in the morning.

Yes.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Our grill cook at lunch will have something stupid like 20 minute ticket times from fire on entrees for a 3 course PF lunch when it's dead, but when we have 8+ tables he gets in a flow and it cuts literally in half.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

LA is on the vacation list. I think we're gonna do Chicago this year and eat at Alinea or Next.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wanna go to LA. But I def don't wanna drive around LA.

Is that possible and still be able to have a good time?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7SO1W6RUI

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

It's called Uber.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I've been to a deep deep southern Waffle House.

Son, that was an experience.

Hungover as gently caress Waffle House in Memphis was the kind of nasty that just feels like home. Worth it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'd love to go to LA but it looks like you need $40k/year just for housing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

I'd love to go to LA but it looks like you need $40k/year just for housing.

Higher base wage for most jobs in LA though. Omni sous chefs out that way make ~100k/yr

e: the California properties are also union, so that may have something to do with it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I wanted to let folks know about a set of restaurant industry openings. Who wants to serve the most idlest and richest of the idle rich?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Discendo Vox posted:

I wanted to let folks know about a set of restaurant industry openings. Who wants to serve the most idlest and richest of the idle rich?

Perfect opportunity to get the cream of the cream together in one place, and sink it

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

alright, what the gently caress. how much does a "residence" on board one of these things loving cost a month? is it like all inclusive, or people pay for every last thing?

I just can't fathom how expensive it must be for a company to do this, or how rich you'd have to be for it to make sense.

I'm guessing at least 10-15k/mo baseline for a one bedroom place? more?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
So speaking of mission style burritos, I happen to live in the mission district of San Francisco now.

I know all the bullshit hype around the bay area being a super foodie spot but I'm really working class and this whole "disposable income" and "decent places to get food" thing is incredibly new and fascinating to me. That said, please tell me your favorite food places in San Francisco/the bay area.

My life just keeps getting more and more surreal.

I'm working at a catering place. For some reason when I signed up for the poo poo I didn't think that I would also be a driver. I loving hate cars, but driving's fun and easy. We have some slow spots in business coming up because it's "winter" or whatever, so I'm going to be looking for a few places to stage at. Any suggestions on places to drop my application? I won't work for complete assholes, but I have a funny way of turning mean people into happy people (even though I'm miserable). The only spot I have in mind for dropping off my application is Lord Stanley, which is the only Michelin starred restaurant I've had the chance to eat at so far. As a poor kid, I was taken aback that they gave us new cutlery and wiped off our table after each course. I was astounded. I really could go on and on about that night.

I told my boss I would try to stick it out for two years working for him, because he really helped me out of a tight spot. I didn't sign poo poo, but I gave my word that I would try to be there for him. If I can make it to August next year, I'm going to take a long break from this poo poo. My knees are starting to really loving hurt and I'm only 27. My feet hurt, of course, but the knees hurting is that special kind of pain.

Wafflepost: The last time and the only time I have ever been to a waffle house was after kicking my friends' asses in poker, so we went to waffle house at 5 in the morning. Our order took 30 minute when we were the only people in the spot. They had 7 people on staff. I counted. In a dead restaurant at 5 in the morning. Maybe our order would have gotten there quicker if they didn't hear me drunkenly talking poo poo about them intentionally loud enough for them to hear some of it. At least....I think that was a waffle house...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mindphlux posted:

alright, what the gently caress. how much does a "residence" on board one of these things loving cost a month? is it like all inclusive, or people pay for every last thing?

I just can't fathom how expensive it must be for a company to do this, or how rich you'd have to be for it to make sense.

Anthony Bourdain did an article on it - it was a promotional thing, but still entertaining.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2003/09/cruiseship18ff.html?currentPage=1

Pricing: http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/ms-The-World-1119

$600k for a studio, up to 8 figures for a 3 bedroom suite. There's also an annual fee to cover fuel/crew/maintenance.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

It's like a mil per year or something crazy. I saw a thing on Travel Channel years ago about that cruise liner.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Alobar posted:

I told my boss I would try to stick it out for two years working for him, because he really helped me out of a tight spot. I didn't sign poo poo, but I gave my word that I would try to be there for him. If I can make it to August next year, I'm going to take a long break from this poo poo.My knees are starting to really loving hurt and I'm only 27. My feet hurt, of course, but the knees hurting is that special kind of pain.

Do you lift? You should. Find a gym, learn how to squat and do lunges and poo poo. Your knees will thank you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Anthony Bourdain did an article on it - it was a promotional thing, but still entertaining.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2003/09/cruiseship18ff.html?currentPage=1

Pricing: http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/ms-The-World-1119

$600k for a studio, up to 8 figures for a 3 bedroom suite. There's also an annual fee to cover fuel/crew/maintenance.

this is borgie as gently caress, holy poo poo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's like a mil per year or something crazy. I saw a thing on Travel Channel years ago about that cruise liner.

goddamnit this is so loving stupid. just buy a yacht rich buttholes, just buy a yacht

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mindphlux posted:

goddamnit this is so loving stupid. just buy a yacht rich buttholes, just buy a yacht

I think this is targeted at people without the money to buy a yacht they could live in for so long, but still far, far, too much money. Yachts are really expensive to keep running, and I'm guessing the World has economies of scale built into its business model. Plus your yacht won't have all those amenities, like 6 restaurants.

edit: the entertainment job ads make it clear median age has gotta be like 65.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I looked at the job I'm best qualified for, which is being a top-notch dishbitch. Here's the necessary requirements for "galley utility":

quote:

Minimum of 2 years experience as a galley utility/kitchen steward and some experience in various areas of a luxury cruise ship, private club, boutique hotel, ultra luxury hotel or resort.
High School diploma or foreign equivalency required
Extensive knowledge of Public Health
Excellent English speaking and writing skills

Soooo... is it just me, or does that say "Have you been a slave for rich white people for 2 years, y puede hablar ingles? Ven aqui!"
I've got excellent English skills and an MA to prove it, but I guess because I haven't washed dishes at a *~ultra luxury~* place before, I can't get a job on this floating Trump circlejerk. gently caress 'em.

Wafflechat: I love Waffle House and had many a fun drunken night/hangover morning meal there, but two years ago I was eating at one when I got the call that my mom had died, and it's just not the same. :(

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
well now I don't like WH no more either

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

I think this is targeted at people without the money to buy a yacht they could live in for so long, but still far, far, too much money. Yachts are really expensive to keep running, and I'm guessing the World has economies of scale built into its business model. Plus your yacht won't have all those amenities, like 6 restaurants.

edit: the entertainment job ads make it clear median age has gotta be like 65.

I mean, I get the amenities and all, but if it's a mil+ to buy a room, plus an annual HOA fee (let's call it $100k) to support staff

I mean gently caress just buy a yacht for 700k and get a member pass to a spa and a tennis court for maybe 5k, or 50k at a prestigious place, and I've already saved you a quarter of a million+ dollars

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Any billionaire schmo can buy their own yacht but there are only so many truly luxury cabins in ~the world~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

mindphlux posted:

I mean, I get the amenities and all, but if it's a mil+ to buy a room, plus an annual HOA fee (let's call it $100k) to support staff

I mean gently caress just buy a yacht for 700k and get a member pass to a spa and a tennis court for maybe 5k, or 50k at a prestigious place, and I've already saved you a quarter of a million+ dollars

To be fair, a 700k yacht isn't much of a yacht. A large boat, at best.

• Locked thread