Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

This kind of owns.

Look at the elephants in the second and third panel

they are the same just flipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
dat punchline tho

sublime

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Syd Midnight posted:

I'm aware of a few academic papers on the subject, but they're all from the late 1990s and focused on MUDs and MUSHes. A good start but pretty out-of-date in their demographics, though the basic behavior patterns don't change too dramatically over the years.

I played on large MUDs back then, on a VT terminal program on an Amiga 500 over a 9600 baud modem. I think this one was the first one I played a female character on, and it was enlightening. Within a few days I got cyber-raped, but another time some guy treated me with the whole "M'lady" thing for a while. After both I had to +++ disconnect and process wtf had just happened. It was a formative experience.

I think its one of those educational situations that everyone should probably go through when they're young, like minimum wage manual labor. It won't help prevent the real sociopaths, but might give some people a bit of a baseline with which to comprehend other peoples behavior and experiences.

Jesus christ. I'm sorry. :smith:

I get a lot of harassment on the level of "Yeah but are you really a girl????" to the point where I've stopped talking to people in online games unless I know them. The breaking point was when someone mini-doxxed me after I said two things in response to them because they wanted to try and prove if I was "really a girl".

I don't know whether to be thankful that worse hasn't happened to me, or even more upset knowing that worse things have happened to other people.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

another by this moron

I can imagine the elephant shaking as the sounds of explosions and screaming, muffled by the memory of his television speakers, echo through his head.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I love it but not for the reason the author wants. Like that "it's tough out there for a conservative brony" comic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Patrick Alexander is the best comic drawin' guy :allears:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Goon Danton posted:

I'm actually not familiar with the "glasses on a table" argument. What's the gist of it?

It's a counterargument to the creationist argument that there are too many gaps in the fossil record for it to be plausible evidence for evolution. Imagine two glasses of water on a table (or any object, really; feel free to imagine balls on the edge of a cliff for maximum goon). There's a gap between them, and you fill it in with a third glass; now there are two gaps, one between the first and second glass and one between the second and third. Fill those in, and you have five glasses and four gaps between them. Fill those, and you have nine glasses with eight gaps... and so it goes. No matter how many objects you have in the chain, there will always be gaps, because they're discrete objects. It is literally impossible for us to create a gap-free fossil record, because fossils don't record a continuum, just discrete organisms.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

It's a counterargument to the creationist argument that there are too many gaps in the fossil record for it to be plausible evidence for evolution. Imagine two glasses of water on a table (or any object, really; feel free to imagine balls on the edge of a cliff for maximum goon). There's a gap between them, and you fill it in with a third glass; now there are two gaps, one between the first and second glass and one between the second and third. Fill those in, and you have five glasses and four gaps between them. Fill those, and you have nine glasses with eight gaps... and so it goes. No matter how many objects you have in the chain, there will always be gaps, because they're discrete objects. It is literally impossible for us to create a gap-free fossil record, because fossils don't record a continuum, just discrete organisms.
Basically the argument from Futurama, then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTOla3TyfqQ

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I love these holy poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Zeno's Stupidest Paradox

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Hilarity Comics and Eegra are both done by him and both fantastic. Eegra is the only Not Bad videogames comic imo.

The Eegra site is basically shut down but he's rehosted them all on tumblr here: (:nws: drawings) http://hilaritycomics.tumblr.com/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
He also makes wonderful ESL classroom materials. :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

He also makes wonderful ESL classroom materials. :3:

Oh cool, I knew he did something with education but I never really knew what

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
https://gumroad.com/patricksensei

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Lottery of Babylon posted:

– Common Core has dumped the study of grammar altogether. Literally, no grammar. Grammar has been replaced by “feel good” unstructured expository writing and basic new-speak guidelines. There are students now who have no idea what an adjective or relative clause is. Students who learn English this way would never be able to learn an inflected grammar-heavy language, like Latin or German, but maybe that’s the point. Rationale? Apparently the Schools of “Education” think grammar is racist because blacks and mestizos cannot fully comprehend it. Modern (as in post-Middle) English grammar must be discarded to make way for some new Third World hybrid language (Dindu-Spanglish?).
Apparently Google is too hard for these assholes?

quote:

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.3.1
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.3.1.A
Explain the function of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs in general and their functions in particular sentences.
That's from the Common Core standards for 3rd-graders - that's mostly 8/9-year-olds, for any foreigners reading. By middle school (roughly ages 12-14) they're supposed to be identifying phrases and clauses and breaking down the parts of complex sentences, as well as knowing common Greek and Latin root words, and that's on top of using correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization when writing (which they were supposed to start doing in 1st grade).

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I seriously don't understand these, can someone explain for the nuance-inept? Who exactly is being mocked here?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pookel posted:

I seriously don't understand these, can someone explain for the nuance-inept? Who exactly is being mocked here?

No one is being mocked. These are just jokes.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

dark enlightenment cards

They're already in the OP :v:

...unless that's :thejoke: in which case, apologies.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ikanreed posted:

No one is being mocked. These are just jokes.
I'm not seeing the humor then, I guess. :spergin:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A goon not getting jokes? Shocking!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Who What Now posted:

A goon not getting jokes? Shocking!
I usually get them. :( I don't always think they're funny, but I can usually tell why they're MEANT to be funny. These are just ... uh, what?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Monkey cheese humour.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

poptart_fairy posted:

Monkey cheese humour.

And despite your contempt it still was sorta funny.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

pookel posted:

I usually get them. :( I don't always think they're funny, but I can usually tell why they're MEANT to be funny. These are just ... uh, what?

It's mocking the webcomic Right Left & Centre because of its lazy stereotypes of Democrats - the donkey would always be ignorant and slow-minded, while the elephant would always be super smart and collected. Even though the elephant was typically espousing a provably false narrative.

It's similar to this Schmorky comic summarising all political cartoons:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

inkblot posted:

They're already in the OP :v:

...unless that's :thejoke: in which case, apologies.

It is a tragedy that Radish realized they were the dumbest things ever and took them down.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

It's mocking the webcomic Right Left & Centre because of its lazy stereotypes of Democrats - the donkey would always be ignorant and slow-minded, while the elephant would always be super smart and collected. Even though the elephant was typically espousing a provably false narrative.

The first one was mocking that, the second one (that was quoted) was just random three panel comics Patrick drew once, which were kinda meh

Though Teddy Bear Hitler was funny :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The first one was mocking that, the second one (that was quoted) was just random three panel comics Patrick drew once, which were kinda meh

Though Teddy Bear Hitler was funny :colbert:

I can't see them? Probably the forums acting up due to the SSL issue. Can you broken-link them for me so I can see the URLs?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I can't see them? Probably the forums acting up due to the SSL issue. Can you broken-link them for me so I can see the URLs?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ikanreed posted:

And despite your contempt it still was sorta funny.

You seem quite angry there's a term to describe that sort of humour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh huh.

Well the first two seem to playing on stereotypes of LGBT peeps - the gay as hell one and post-op daz treating both things as perfectly normal which back in 09 was p. forward-thinking.

Teddy Bear Hitler / My Snuggle is a play on 'Mein Kampf' which means 'My Struggle' in English.

Tall guy comic is as just a quick joke and don't think hard about it imo.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tesseraction posted:

post-op daz treating both things as perfectly normal which back in 09 was p. forward-thinking.

Still draws her with a beard though! :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

You seem quite angry there's a term to describe that sort of humour.

Well being fair 'monkey cheese' is meant to be insulting, with 'non-sequitur' being more neutral.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Still draws her with a beard though! :v:

True enough. I guess because of the treatment of them in that comic I'm more forgiving because plenty of trans peeps can't afford hair follicle surgery etc.

But yeah, could easily be a joke about "lol men in dresses" in most circumstances which is just gross.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tesseraction posted:

True enough. I guess because of the treatment of them in that comic I'm more forgiving because plenty of trans peeps can't afford hair follicle surgery etc.

But yeah, could easily be a joke about "lol men in dresses" in most circumstances which is just gross.

Even if that's the case a close shave and some foundation hides that poo poo real well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

Well being fair 'monkey cheese' is meant to be insulting, with 'non-sequitur' being more neutral.

Your contempt is obvious. :smug:

Point taken though. I've always seen non-sequitur used when it comes to rambling jokes and the like, rather than comics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Even if that's the case a close shave and some foundation hides that poo poo real well.

Yeah, I'm not defending the artist's choice, just saying I personally don't bat an eyelid when a trans sister is rockin' shadow.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think a more likely explanation is Gates and other powers that be have simply decided they want stupider peons to rule, and are deliberately dumbing them down. As further evidence of this alternative hypothesis (to yours which seems to be that it just follows from PC which the rulers follow as well as impose) I point out that the amount of aluminum in the early vaccines has been ramped sharply *up* since Bishop et al reported in 1997 NEJM that early aluminum made recipients stupid in a placebo controlled test.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Patrick Alexander is pretty okay/progressive in most cases, especially compared to the rest of webcomic-dom, but not exactly a bastion of social justice all the time or anything. That one in particular is also one of the very first ones he did and like most things he got better with time :shrug:

e: to bring it back around to be semi-relative to this thread:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Aug 13, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

We don’t need no educashun! We beez Kangs n’ sheeeit! We need mo money fo dem programs, yo!

Grammar n’ punk-shoo-way-shun beez racisss n’ sheeeit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We don’t need no educashun! We beez Kangs n’ sheeeit! We need mo money fo dem programs, yo!

Grammar n’ punk-shoo-way-shun beez racisss n’ sheeeit.

Is this still common core? Is it against common core or for common core i can't even tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is this still common core? Is it against common core or for common core i can't even tell

There is no need for any kind of public education at all, and it is too attractive for social engineering to tolerate.