Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Oh, nice. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.androidpolice.com/vanced-developers-issue-statement-addressing-wild-rumors-about-the-apps-demise/

Apparently the NFT thing wasn't the tipping point, but the logo was.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Saving this for the day my vanced stops working (hopefully they rebrand the project). Thanks!

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Kind of a weird question: I just learned about symbolic links today and managed to get Launchbox onto my NAS and working on my Windows device. Is there any way of doing a similar thing on Android? The idea is to have my files stored on my server and be able to access them from multiple devices.

I'm still a little new to this, but I think the current setup works (slow but I can deal):

Use shortcut on Windows device to launch exe stored on server.
In program, scroll through files and launch whichever game (also stored on server) strikes my fancy.
Whatever screenshot, save, or save state I create during that session is also stored on my server.
Doing the same thing on a different Windows device on the same network should present the same experience.

So what I'd like is to have the ability to access those selfsame files from Android as well. I couldn't find a way on Solid Explorer, so I grabbed X-plore and Termux for now but wanted to see if I was overlooking something obvious. Thanks!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

SpiderLink posted:

Kind of a weird question: I just learned about symbolic links today and managed to get Launchbox onto my NAS and working on my Windows device. Is there any way of doing a similar thing on Android? The idea is to have my files stored on my server and be able to access them from multiple devices.

I'm still a little new to this, but I think the current setup works (slow but I can deal):

Use shortcut on Windows device to launch exe stored on server.
In program, scroll through files and launch whichever game (also stored on server) strikes my fancy.
Whatever screenshot, save, or save state I create during that session is also stored on my server.
Doing the same thing on a different Windows device on the same network should present the same experience.

So what I'd like is to have the ability to access those selfsame files from Android as well. I couldn't find a way on Solid Explorer, so I grabbed X-plore and Termux for now but wanted to see if I was overlooking something obvious. Thanks!

If your server supports SFTP, then most Android file managers should be able to add it as a network storage, letting you access it the same way you would access other folders on your phone. At least Solid Explorer, MiXplorer and the stock Samsung file explorer can do this.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for the quick answer! I did manage to add the server as a network location by way of SFTP after reading your post, but Launchbox will only look at "storage/emulated/0“ as the root folder, which I believe is just internal memory. I'm still pretty new to networking stuff so sorry if I'm overlooking something obvious. I tried accessing the network location through RetroArch as well with the same result.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I've been using the Google shopping list (website) for a while but honestly it's pretty lacking. I was using it mostly because I could tell my Google Home to add poo poo to the list but that hasn't worked since I added a second list like a year ago.
Anyway, I remember reading about a shopping list app that synced for multiple users and let you define categories (unlike Google's which decides for you and you cannot alter) and even arrange those categories so it follows the layout of the store you go to. Does that ring any bells?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kind of sounds like Out of Milk, which may have originally been developed by a goon if I remember correctly? Been using it for years.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
AnyList also sorta does that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our Groceries has categories and the sharing is quite good, in my experience.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

the_lion posted:

Thanks for the solid suggestions everyone!

Different user case. I really only listen to the same music every day, it's also $10 less a month. My playlist is relatively small, so I'd only have to fiddle with organising once and then I'm done.

Spotify was good when I listened to podcasts all day but I no longer really do that either.

I'm a family plan with Youtube Red since... 5 years ago and I pay 40$ every year. I never got a chance to use/experience Spotify, but Youtube music does what it does well for me.

It is really good at working with one fascination with this really genre lately which is 80' Dark Electric/Synth where I started with some names from the Hotline Miami soundtrack like Perturbator, M|O|O|N, Carpenter Brut, Mitch Murder, and Mega Drive and it has been picking up some good artists of the same sound. Kavinsky (just came out with a new album yesterday), Gost, Miami Horror, Lazerhawk, Dan Terminus, and Dance with the Dead and it's even adding more artists that I can easily like or dislike.

Watching Youtube Premium removes the 30+ second ads but when I discovered SponsorBlock where it let the app automatically skip ads inside the actual video from Vanced was like magic. Had me realize this one engineering channel puts out like 10 minute videos and 4 of those minutes is straight product hawking/sponsor promotions/subscribe/like.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's the current hotness for weather apps and widgets? Neither of the links in the OP work and Kustom Widgets doesn't update weather information automatically for me anymore.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

YggiDee posted:

What's the current hotness for weather apps and widgets? Neither of the links in the OP work and Kustom Widgets doesn't update weather information automatically for me anymore.

I use Today Weather.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

YggiDee posted:

I've been liking Shadow Weather for a while.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been using Appy, really like the widgets.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Seconding Today Weather, quite a clean interface and can customize sources from a bunch of options.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hey, I also like Today Weather. That's actually a surprise cause I have a history of using apps that no one else likes.

(I like it because I can make the widget a very simple five day prediction using mono-color)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using hello weather for ages now and very happy with it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm using Wunderground out of force of habit.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I still use Google's Weather Widget, but I also have Geometric Weather installed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

I still use Google's Weather Widget, but I also have Geometric Weather installed.

Lol I might try it just because of the dev's name!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Today and Hello are both nice unless you're a hard-boiled weather geek and want all the nitty-gritty in excruciating detail. That Geometric looks nice too, going by the screenshots.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MyRadar has the better radar for me, and TodayWeather has a better widget that shows a 5 day forecast.

Life after Dark Sky is mediocre at best. :(

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. I use the Dark Sky website a bunch now, but the radar there is useless compared to the app.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Smugworth posted:

MyRadar has the better radar for me, and TodayWeather has a better widget that shows a 5 day forecast.

Life after Dark Sky is mediocre at best. :(

I've been using the google at a glance, but still haven't found something good for radar.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rap Game Goku posted:

I've been using the google at a glance, but still haven't found something good for radar.
radarscope?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I like Windy for radar.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

hooah posted:

I like Windy for radar.

Oh boy does this look nice. Installing now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have pretty low expectations for Google but its truly heinous that the current messages app on Pixel allows exactly zero customization, nothing at all, besides the light/dark switch. Whats the go to texting app that actually has features?? Being able to text from my PC is imperative.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

codo27 posted:

I have pretty low expectations for Google but its truly heinous that the current messages app on Pixel allows exactly zero customization, nothing at all, besides the light/dark switch. Whats the go to texting app that actually has features?? Being able to text from my PC is imperative.

Zero customizations? What else would you call the pinch to change text size that I always accidently trigger when trying to zoom in on a image.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

codo27 posted:

I've used Textra for years and years across four different phones. I don't have text from pc set up but I see that Textra has it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Textra's pretty nice, yeah. I don't do the PC texting, but I otherwise find the customization sufficient, if not as in-depth as Mood. I quit using Mood because it was dropping texts and got on my nerves.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Google sucks poo poo and are coasting on some now-distant successes and banking on inertia. I'd jump ship immediately if Apple didn't suck more.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Soon it'll be the year of Linux on the smartphone!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Please come back Windows Phone

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

codo27 posted:

Please come back Windows Phone

Or WebOS.

Unrelated, but does anyone have issues while casting that closed captions will just turn on automatically even after disabling them previously? I feel like I'm wrestling with this daily with the Youtube app.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Captions definitely are appearing more often when not requested lately.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

cage-free egghead posted:

Or WebOS.

Unrelated, but does anyone have issues while casting that closed captions will just turn on automatically even after disabling them previously? I feel like I'm wrestling with this daily with the Youtube app.

I get it in my browser too.

I think on my phone it is at least triggered by my phone's media volume betting on mute.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Imagine texting in 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

saintonan posted:

I've used Textra for years and years across four different phones. I don't have text from pc set up but I see that Textra has it.

Textra doesn't have texting from PC?

For what it's worth you can just use the Microsoft Phone app and use whatever text client you want. I think it works great.