Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's not even a possibility until 2037 when the current contract with the MCG ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Which by then the G will probably be back to at minimum 110k seated, possibly 120k with standing room when the southern stand is replaced, solidifying the position for the home of the GF again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I kind of like seeing it at the G still - when West Coast can win at the MCG on a regular basis, we usually do pretty well in the finals too.

Hats off to Richmond, they wanted it more. The right Crows side didn't show up and the Tigers just took control after half time. Even though I was rooting for Adelaide, I didn't really mind either of these teams winning the flag. (gently caress off Hawks)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hiddenmovement posted:

Hot take:

5 of the last 6 Grand Finals have featured an interstate team, and only one of those teams has walked away a winner. Prior to that, the three previous interstate winners were from all interstate Grand Finals (04-06). Prior to that, it took arguably the best team ever to win at the G on Grand final day

I am suggesting that perhaps we need to look at the whole 'MCG Grand Final thing' and consider the possibility that it's a bit unfair in a national competition.

Maybe.

In the meantime I think the AFL probably needs to work the fixture a bit better to get non-vic teams more time at the G each year.

for an interstate team, over half the rest of the competition is an victorian team. They play 10 games away a year (excluding the local derbys), so every team should get at least 2-3 games at the G per year.

This year it was:

Sydney 4
Adelaide 3
Brisbane and Port 2
West Coast, Gold Coast, GWS 1

I think it's doable on a schedule basis too. This year there were 46 games at the G in the regular season, despite rounds 1, 2, 5, 15 having 3 games each there.

you can get to 46 just by having 2 games there every round, and then things like public holiday games, the opening round, and thursday night footy are opportunities to expand on that.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 30, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snoremac posted:

It's not even a possibility until 2037 when the current contract with the MCG ends.

So, plenty of time to build a 100,000 seat stadium in each of the capital cities?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gay picnic defence posted:

So, plenty of time to build a 100,000 seat stadium in each of the capital cities?

"This started the Stadium Cold War in Australia, each capital city building bigger, grander, sporting grounds"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ultimately the blame for this can be cast back to the WAFL

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Get a 70k+ stadium of afl quality (not anz) in each capital city and it’ll be good to have a moving grand final. At this point though, even ignoring the contract issue, it isn’t feasible.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Apparently one of Merv Keane's kids died

Further to this, supposedly one of his daughters took her own life and then his wife couldn't cope and did the same.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

Get a 70k+ stadium of afl quality (not anz) in each capital city and it’ll be good to have a moving grand final. At this point though, even ignoring the contract issue, it isn’t feasible.

It's never going to change, because it's never going to stop being the VFL plus guests. That ship sailed in 1986.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Further to this, supposedly one of his daughters took her own life and then his wife couldn't cope and did the same.

Oh poo poo :smith:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Ultimately the blame for this can be cast back to the WAFL

Wait what

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If the WAFL hadn't caved and abandoned the SANFL in 86 to buy the eagles license and bail out the VFL, we'd have ended up with a properly independent AFL, with 3 WA teams, 3 SA teams, 1 team each from QLD and NSW, and 4 teams from Victoria, with the VFL remaining a second tier competition.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Solemn Sloth posted:

In the meantime I think the AFL probably needs to work the fixture a bit better to get non-vic teams more time at the G each year.

for an interstate team, over half the rest of the competition is an victorian team. They play 10 games away a year (excluding the local derbys), so every team should get at least 2-3 games at the G per year.

This year it was:

Sydney 4
Adelaide 3
Brisbane and Port 2
West Coast, Gold Coast, GWS 1

I think it's doable on a schedule basis too. This year there were 46 games at the G in the regular season, despite rounds 1, 2, 5, 15 having 3 games each there.

you can get to 46 just by having 2 games there every round, and then things like public holiday games, the opening round, and thursday night footy are opportunities to expand on that.
I don't think this is a bad idea, but you've also got to take into account MCG tenants shifting some of their games to other venues.
There's at least 2 interstate team v Hawthorn games at Launceston that might otherwise be at the G.
Melbourne gives up one to NT,

Anyway, from my reading and messing around I think there's three factors that make up the home ground advantage:
Travel
Umpiring
Familiarity with ground Wrapped up in this is the size/shape of the ground - from next year, the new Perth Stadium's dimensions are going to be more like Docklands than Kardinia/Subiaco, and whatever subtle effect that has on things like Lyonball or whatever, well, we'll find out. Generally I think it'll be a positive for the WA teams but it's also going to make things less daunting for visiting teams too.

When West Coast started off in the 80s the disparity was something like 36 points (or 18 against neutral) and over the years that's come in to something like 13 against neutral. At that stage they were playing out of both Subiaco and the WACA but I think at the time air travel and accomodation was still a thing clubs were having to learn to manage.

I think Sydney's HGA is something like 10.

Anyway, because those numbers are so close to 12 points that's what I've gone with as a general rule, it improves the results as it is and fine tuning it further is due to noise.

As for the "home teams are disadvantaged", from 1987 to the end of the Lion triptych, in non-Vic v Vic grand finals

1991 Hawthorn d West Coast
1992 West Coast d Geelong
1994 West Coast d Geelong
1996 North Melb d Sydney
1997 Adelaide d St Kilda
1998 Adelaide d North Melb
2001 Brisbane d Essendon
2002 Brisbane d Collingwood
2003 Brisbane d Collingwood

SO that's 6-2 to interstate sides to that point. Skip three years where Victorian clubs didn't even make the big dance...

2007 Geelong d Port Adelaide

2012 Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 Hawthorn d Fremantle
2014 Hawthorn d Sydney
2015 Hawthorn d West Coast
2016 Western Bulldogs d Sydney
2017 Richmond d Adelaide

So now it's back to 7-8. poo poo ebbs and flows. The only other current stadium with a capacity even close to the MCG's is, ugh, Stadium Australia, which is a hole and might get demolished or at least significantly reconfigured in the next decade. (Also, the first game on my list was of course Waverley which could house 80,000 but of course that's gone now, replaced by Docklands as a major venue.)

Given the screeching for tickets, there is really only one option in the country at this stage. In 20 years time? If Perth's new stadium gets stretched out to 80,000? It's possible.

The two Sydney clubs get established enough that a proper new oval stadium? Doubtful. Well, the SCG is very popular with Swans fans, and given that the demographic divide from the west it makes sense to keep the Giants there and develop that cross-town rivalry - I wouldn't mind betting a new stadium gets put in somewhere, maybe west of Parramatta, but the Showground is suitable enough until they get really established.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

If the WAFL hadn't caved and abandoned the SANFL in 86 to buy the eagles license and bail out the VFL, we'd have ended up with a properly independent AFL, with 3 WA teams, 3 SA teams, 1 team each from QLD and NSW, and 4 teams from Victoria, with the VFL remaining a second tier competition.
You would've had a plastic competition full of plastic teams and it would've gone the way of Trugo. That's what would've happened.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The SANFL making out like they were the VFL's equal when in fact they were a feeder comp is one of the more adorable things about football history.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That was always the big VFL lie, ignoring that the only reason the players were in Victoria is that the VFL clubs spent money they didn't have to do it, and were all trading while insolvent. A proper AFL would have been much better than the poo poo we have.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Right so that's while we ignore all the internecine crap between Norwood and Port backstabbing each other. The VFL's biggest problem was being scared of TV rights affecting gate takings - not just in the VFL but in suburban/country leagues, the idea being that if there wasn't a game on TV people wouldn't go to their local game. Shunting South to Sydney and having them play on Sunday was the first step around that, because that was usually the only game of the weekend you could watch in full on TV.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 1, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That has nothing to do with anything, but by all means keep spinning

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyway, the SANFL hosed up thinking the VFL would fall down before finding a machiavellian solution.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It wasn't Machiavellian, it was simply ignoring the increasingly desperate overtures until they folded, which they would have done by 1990. The WAFL got suckered, and we've paid the price since

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It wasn't Machiavellian, it was simply ignoring the increasingly desperate overtures until they folded, which they would have done by 1990. The WAFL got suckered, and we've paid the price since
ALL IS ASHES

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Babby's first grand final loss.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The tigers are premiers!!!!!!!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I’m picturing going outside today to be like leaving the vault in Fallout

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

I’m picturing going outside today to be like leaving the vault in Fallout

I had breakfast at Trunk and they were here too

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I just drove past Punt Rd and it was astonishingly tame. Whole lotta yellow and black on display, but my car didn't even get rolled once. I'm honestly a little disappointed.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It was beautiful last night on swan street. I wonder how it cleaned up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Deadly Hume posted:

The SANFL making out like they were the VFL's equal when in fact they were a feeder comp is one of the more adorable things about football history.

Particularly when it comes to power supporters trying to claim magpies premierships

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
So the WAFL is the reason half the Adelaide side shat themselves in the grand final. OK then.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Caught up on the NTRabbit meltdown. Didn't disappoint. :discourse:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Also given that South Australia is able to pour most of their resources into the Crows with a bit left over for Port (given their constant bleating about their separate identity) so this would mean that the current Adelaide side gets a considerably bigger slice of support for recruiting, development, facilities etc than they would have in the 3 side SA split you propose, no?

So you have a crows side that is better than in the scenario you claim, and they finished top of the ladder and made the grand final but it's somebody else's fault they lost?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

teacup posted:

It was beautiful last night on swan street. I wonder how it cleaned up

If it was me, I'd just open up the fire hydrants and wash everything away

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

snaeksikn posted:

Also given that South Australia is able to pour most of their resources into the Crows with a bit left over for Port (given their constant bleating about their separate identity) so this would mean that the current Adelaide side gets a considerably bigger slice of support for recruiting, development, facilities etc than they would have in the 3 side SA split you propose, no?

So you have a crows side that is better than in the scenario you claim, and they finished top of the ladder and made the grand final but it's somebody else's fault they lost?

Of course. And when they can't be blamed, they blame a 40+ loss on umpiring and claim you're blind if you can't see it.

Then they say that although Richmond won they are a poo poo side anyway look at the bulldogs this year etc, as if any side this year didn't show significant flaws (if adelaide are as good as everyone says how did they not sit multiple games clear of the top rather than just one)

Then when that doesn't work they'll also say "well they won but it's boring football", there's an article on fox footy (lol) right now lamenting a lower scoring style of game and "what about tall players :kingsley:

gently caress em all, you play the season, then finals, then the GF. Adelaide didn't make it through. Richmond are the champions. 🐯🐯🐯

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Babby's first grand final loss.

I just realized post-'82 Richmond babbies are the only babbies with a 100% GF success rate!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What no they're not.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Sorry you're right, the Dogs have one too.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just let him vent hes had a bad weekend

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hawthorn fans born after 2012
Geelong fans born after 2008
North fans born after 1998

Adbot