Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hella anti-Semitic :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah what the heck?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Look at the amp brand.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Elissimpark posted:

Look at the amp brand.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Technically It should be (DRONE))) but im sure thats a dogwhistle for some other ethnic group these days.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the fret buzz that never went away on my JV Modified 50s Strat which led to me going way hard on barre chords was not due entirely to my technique, but to the fact that it only has a single action truss rod.

What does one do to increase neck relief in a single-action-truss situation? I'm guessing I could just go to heavier gauge strings (heavier gauge = needs to be tuned a bit tighter = more pull on the neck = more relief) or I could put some flat shims in the neck pocket (which would kinda make sense, my saddles are on the high side).

Or given that I'm just really liking the feel of the Firebird body, I could just build another Firebird (albeit with better paint work) with a fully custom neck

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yep heavier strings and maybe a shim is probably the way to go.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Did a Jim Croce song at open mic last night. First time playing electric in... years?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6Suk5Wmfg

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Julian Lage dropped a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhE3RrzfZ5w

P90 in a Tele, pretty sweet choice. Fantastic playing as always.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
DRO)))NE

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
oooh that particular Sunn is missing its larger logo plate on the front

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

20 Blunts posted:

o))), that particular Sunn is missing its larger logo plate on the front

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was gonna say rigs of doom sells replacement badges but apparently they don't have any sunn o)))nes right now.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Likely because Sunn have started building amps again now Fender licensed the name out. Or at least teasing they're issuing amps, none of which are the Model T for some reason.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm guessing it's because the Model-T is the one thing that got reissued in the past 20 years, right? I've never played one vintage or otherwise!

The 200s model they are reissuing instead is kind of the spiritual predecessor to the Model T insofar as it was the Sunn model for loud rock guitarists. But for like $3000? No way...

Vintage Sunn tube amps are just raw, clean, power & volume. Built incredibly simply, almost PA-like. It can be like plugging your guitar right into the mixing board, the preamp section isn't going to do a ton of work for you. That is why they are amazing with all the distortions and muffs of the world, they are a blank canvas.

I'm tempted to get a 12" speaker to pair up with my 60-watt Sunn, for my acoustic-electric setup, but also somewhat over worrying about a vintage amplifier out and about.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 2, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

None of those circuits are original. I believe the Model T is class D which may be fine but it’s not a Model T now, especially for the money. Feels very scammy/low-rent. This is very common for brand flips.

Also, the power section is an off-the-shelf ICE module. Which… again that’s fine in generic poo poo.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my understanding is a cash in on the name these aren't your dad's sunns

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Well they're currently crowdfunding themselves - tiers start at $100 which gets you a t shirt and a beer glass, up to 50K which apparently lets you design one product with their team.

Don't see it going anywhere if I'm honest.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm experimenting with 12 gauge strings. Should my tremolo be doing this or should I take it to mean that 11 is the heaviest I should use?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

You can probably sort that out by adding a trem spring to the back cavity or even just tightening the screws a bit.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Already have springs. You mean the screws at the far left?

Edit:okay so after fully tuning up, the bottom of the trem has lifted up by maybe a half inch. I'm only doing 12s because this thing has a single action truss rod and I want more neck relief. I'm really worried that I'm going to break this thing by keeping 12s on here. Someone please tell me if that will happen or not before I panic and go get 11s.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 2, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

You can add more springs or move the ends about too. But tightening those screws is the quicker fixer. The trem should sit parallel with the face of the guitar.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don’t know about parallel to the face, but I shoot for 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch off board measured at the back

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

You can add more springs or move the ends about too. But tightening those screws is the quicker fixer. The trem should sit parallel with the face of the guitar.

What, no. On a strat Fender says 1/8” from the top with the exception of some signature models.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What, no. On a strat Fender says 1/8” from the top with the exception of some signature models.

It can be 1/8" above the guitar and parallel to the body

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lowering the action + tightening the trem screws helped bring it under control. Kinda feel like more neck relief will let me lower the action more to help return it to below the 1/8th threshold.

No more danger zone but Christ, it is not fun thinking "I have hosed up my guitar". Given how often I use the trem, my next axe is going to be trem-free. Also gently caress these locking tuners.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

It can be 1/8" above the guitar and parallel to the body

I don't see how

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

MJP posted:

Lowering the action + tightening the trem screws helped bring it under control. Kinda feel like more neck relief will let me lower the action more to help return it to below the 1/8th threshold.

No more danger zone but Christ, it is not fun thinking "I have hosed up my guitar". Given how often I use the trem, my next axe is going to be trem-free. Also gently caress these locking tuners.

You can block the trem if you don't use it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I got a strat a couple months ago and blocked the trem by shoving wooden blocks in the cavity to physically hold the trem in place. I still kinda regret not just pulling the whole thing out, filling the entire cavity and putting a top loader bridge on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there a recommended app or similar resource for the process of learning chords? I've been assigned to practice several but have a hard time recognizing them without a teacher present.

Meanwhile, it's really hard to keep my palm resting on the bridge while picking and I'm wondering if that means I should stop trying to do that because it feels like it's essentially impossible to access all six strings without moving it away.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
A strat should have a whammy bar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Buschmaki posted:

A strat should have a whammy bar.

and 2 humbuckers

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of 2 humbuckers - for future guitar building purposes, are there any normal size humbuckers that one could get at a Sam Ash which work better for more punk/funk/new wave, preferably with coil splitting for the bridge? SA is closing a few stores and pickups are 10% off at one not too far from me, probably getting more off over the next couple of months as they liquidate. I figure I should keep an eye out for bottom-feeding bargains.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
any paf style whether it's duncan (59, pearly gates) or dimarzio (paf, paf pro)

almost every humbucker suggestion is "a paf style"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

muike posted:

and 2 humbuckers

I've been wanting to buy a cheap squier pink 1 Hummy strat and putting a P90 in it and getting a knockoff hello kitty pickguard offa alibaba

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The hello kitty strat is so sick but i wish people remembered the badzt-maru bass

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ethanol posted:

I don't see how

Oh I think I was assuming it was a floating bridge, when it is clearly not. My bad

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there a recommended app or similar resource for the process of learning chords? I've been assigned to practice several but have a hard time recognizing them without a teacher present.

Meanwhile, it's really hard to keep my palm resting on the bridge while picking and I'm wondering if that means I should stop trying to do that because it feels like it's essentially impossible to access all six strings without moving it away.

i self-taught using justinguitar and i still use his methodology for practicing/learning new chords

- practice fingering the chord from scratch. i touch my thigh with my chording hand to reset, finger the chord, strum, pick out each note, adjust for any strings that are being muted improperly, strum, repeat. build the muscle memory to get your hand there quickly. i'll do this for about 2-3 minutes per chord i'm trying to learn.
- after that, i'll do 1 minute changes - changing from the chord i'm trying to learn to a different chord as many times as possible in one minute. i'll keep track of these numbers like a high score in a game - watching it go up is inspiring.

if you do the above for about a week or two you'll get the chord to playing speed pretty quickly, and the more chords you learn the better you'll get at it.

as far as your picking hand - that technique is somewhat individual and your main goal is to use the hand to mute sympathetic notes from unplayed strings while letting your played string ring. i'm using the edge of my palm to mute the strings above the string i'm playing and it'll slide up and down a bit vertically to accomplish this - it's not staying planted in one spot. if it feels awkward, ask your teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Rand Brittain posted:

Not sure what you mean for the first part? If you mean the actual shape of the chords, there's JGuitar.com where you can put in the name of the chord and it will show you a bunch of variations, the first being the most common form. Be aware that capitalization matters in that "M" is major and "m" is minor. If you mean how to play them, then that's mostly down to practice and the method that Cassowary describes seems pretty good.

Right hand technique isn't really a fixed thing in my experience. You'll get used to what works as you practice but I generally have my wrist/forearm resting above and behind the bridge with the blade of my palm either on the bridge, just behind it, or hovering over it, depending on what I'm playing. For strumming bigger chords, I'll free up the right hand a lot more. For single note stuff, I'll tighten up considerably and limit right hand movement to better control string noise and facilitate palm muting. Wherever you feel comfortable with you right hand, you should still be able to easily sweep through all six strings in an arc. Next time you meet with your teacher, maybe have them take a look at how you're holding your picking hand if its something you're struggling with.