Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Hemmingway's real good. The parts in A Moveable Feast where Fitzgerald's very concerned about his penis size are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fridge corn posted:

you won't understand the lit thread until you finally read aquarium just to shut mel up

fool. there are always more.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

derp posted:

well i live near seattle so maybe i will just for that reason but otherwise it sounds like just the opposite of whatever im interested in.

Do not fall for the Aquarium meme.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
do not listen to these cretins and philistines

they only dislike Aquarium because its not forty years old and in French

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Belgian posted:

Hemmingway's real good. The parts in A Moveable Feast where Fitzgerald's very concerned about his penis size are nice.

in case the vann-reading reprobates haven't read it:

quote:

"Zelda said that the way I was built I could never make any woman happy and that was what upset her originally. She said it was a matter of measurements. I have never felt the same since she said that and I have to know truly."

"Come out to the office," I said.

"Where is the office?"

"Le water," I said.

We came back into the room and sat down at the table.

"You're perfectly fine," I said. "You are O.K. There's nothing wrong with you. You look at yourself from above and you look foreshortened. Go over to the Louvre and look at the people in the statues and then go home and look at yourself in the mirror in profile."

"Those statues may not be accurate."

"They are pretty good. Most people would settle for them."

"But why would she say it?"

"To put you out of business. That's the oldest way in the world of putting people out of business. Scott, you asked me to tell you the truth and I can tell you a lot more but this is the absolute truth and all you need. You could have gone to a doctor."

"I didn't want to. I wanted you to tell me truly."

"Now do you believe me?"

"I don't know," he said.

"Come on over to the Louvre," I said. "It's just down the street and across the river."

We went over to the Louvre and he looked at the statues but still he was doubtful about himself.

"It is not basically a question of the size in repose," I said. "It is the size that it becomes. It is also a question of angle."

I explained to him about using a pillow and a few other things that might be useful for him to know.

"There is one girl," he said, "who has been very nice to me. But after what Zelda said—"

"Forget what Zelda said,'" I told him. "Zelda is crazy. There's nothing wrong with you. Just have confidence and do what the girl wants. Zelda just wants to destroy you."

"You don't know anything about Zelda."

"All right," I said. "Let it go at that. But you came to lunch to ask me a question and I've tried to give you an honest answer."

But he was still doubtful.

"Should we go and see some pictures?" I asked. "Have you ever seen anything in here except the Mona Lisa?"

"I'm not in the mood for looking at pictures," he said. "I promised to meet some people at the Ritz bar."

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

The Belgian posted:

Do not fall for the Aquarium meme.

i will listen to this guy based solely on his avatar

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

do not listen to these cretins and philistines

they only dislike Aquarium because its not forty years old and in French

old books in other languages ftw

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
mel have you read bright air black yet

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

mel have you read bright air black yet

nah doesn't particularly interest me and doesn't seem to hit on what I see as his strong points

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Sleng Teng posted:

old books in other languages ftw

Despite what fans of Aquarium by David Vann believe, books from the 1970s are not old.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I like Aquarium and old books and F. Scott's small dick. Papa is cool but better in small doses.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bandiet posted:

Despite what fans of Aquarium by David Vann believe, books from the 1970s are not old.

This is true.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I like Aquarium and old books and F. Scott's small dick. Papa is cool but better in small doses.

Yeah!

Also to add to Hemingway chat I just started A Farewell to Arms and it is real good so far

SoCoRoBo
Mar 2, 2013

CestMoi posted:

The City and the City is of the "Italo Calvino but written by the stupid" school of literature and is bad.

Is China Mieville worth getting into at all? I've heard good things but I'm inclined to think he's only good compared to the vast majority of sci-fi crap. Someone recommended me Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks as 'genre fiction only good!' and I thought it was mediocre so I'm very wary of these kinds of recommendation. I did listen to Mieville's interview on Chapo Trap House and he seemed like quite a smart dude, and a lot more self-critical than the majority of hard leftists.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

His Master's Voice is really good. I can't believe this is from 1968, he just casually predicts the future of the cold war accurately, and how we will eventually drown ourselves in useless information. It's obviously a companion novel to Solaris, it's like he wanted to make more explicit what he intended to say in Solaris by just writing a borderline philosophical treatise without the drama.

Oe is the anti-Murakami in that he's all about conflict among people whereas Murakami is about conflict between people and inanimate things, "Pinball 1973" is supposed to be a reply of sorts to Oe's "The Silent Cry", a badly translated title which in Japanese was called something like "Football 1860". As in, football is a game where you play with others, pinball is where you play with a machine, dialectic replaced with solipsist monologue. Murakami is also the anti-Oe in that Oe is good and Murakami is kind of lightweight.

The real Japanese author you should read is Akutagawa, though.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 8, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

SoCoRoBo posted:

Is China Mieville worth getting into at all? I've heard good things but I'm inclined to think he's only good compared to the vast majority of sci-fi crap. Someone recommended me Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks as 'genre fiction only good!' and I thought it was mediocre so I'm very wary of these kinds of recommendation. I did listen to Mieville's interview on Chapo Trap House and he seemed like quite a smart dude, and a lot more self-critical than the majority of hard leftists.

by genre fiction standards he is 'good', by grown-up standards he is 'not good'

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Where do I start with Flannery O'Connor if I'm planning on reading her just because Vonnegut said he liked her stuff and I like Vonnegut?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alvarez IV posted:

Where do I start with Flannery O'Connor if I'm planning on reading her just because Vonnegut said he liked her stuff and I like Vonnegut?

Her Complete Short stories is perfect. For novels, Wise Blood.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

If you are looking into Flannery O'Connor because you think it will be like Vonnegut you will be disapointed.

Anyways "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alvarez IV posted:

thats not a good reason to read o'connor imo; her and vonnegut have basically nothing in common vis-a-vis style, content matter or tone. read A Good Man is Hard to Find and Everything That Rises Must Converge and see if you like her, then branch out from there

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are looking into Flannery O'Connor because you think it will be like Vonnegut you will be disapointed.

Anyways "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Agreed. She's better than Vonnegut.

If you want a small collection, I agree. It's the same price as the complete short stories, which seperates the stories into the collections they were released as. So however you want to approach it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

lol

thou art an expletive

how bout my nobel prize now ty

derp posted:

well, sorry im not a 23 yo college student who is thunderstruck by the awesmitude of every single book i open.

Books are supposed to be entertaining. if not that, then very beautifully written. So far 'for whom the bell tolls' is neither.

anyway thanks for doing your part to keep up the stereotype of people who read 'literature'

can you stop posting like a drat retard

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SoCoRoBo posted:

is this trotskyite sci fi writer who i heard on a pod cast worth reading. that's a real tough one

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Flannery O'Connor is Good As poo poo. One of very few authors of whom I can say that after finishing a story I've had to put the book down and make an audible noise of inarticulate appreciation.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thats not a good reason to read o'connor imo; her and vonnegut have basically nothing in common vis-a-vis style, content matter or tone. read A Good Man is Hard to Find and Everything That Rises Must Converge and see if you like her, then branch out from there

Agree. Vonnegut liked her because he had impeccable taste and certainly not because he felt she was kindred.

I have difficulty explaining what I like about Vonnegut, and I find it hard to recommend similar authors. To me that's a point of interest all on its own; there are very few whom I would consider truly unique in that way.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Speaking of Vonnegut, I've had trouble focusing on things I'm reading lately and have contemplated trying to shake off the dust in my brain with something classic and complicated. I like non-linear, convoluted narratives with unreliable narrators and think Vonnegut would definitely be my style, but I'm not really sure where would be a good start or if someone else has any recs along that line. I feel kinda dumb just skipping to the end of the thread to ask, but eh.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PetraCore posted:

Speaking of Vonnegut, I've had trouble focusing on things I'm reading lately and have contemplated trying to shake off the dust in my brain with something classic and complicated. I like non-linear, convoluted narratives with unreliable narrators and think Vonnegut would definitely be my style, but I'm not really sure where would be a good start or if someone else has any recs along that line. I feel kinda dumb just skipping to the end of the thread to ask, but eh.

Have you already read Slaughterhouse Five? If not, you should probably start there, but also, if you haven't read that, what Vonnegut have you read and why do you think you'd like him?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Have you already read Slaughterhouse Five? If not, you should probably start there, but also, if you haven't read that, what Vonnegut have you read and why do you think you'd like him?

I haven't read any Vonnegut, but I've heard his stuff is surreal, cynical, funny, and has an unusual narrative structure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PetraCore posted:

I haven't read any Vonnegut, but I've heard his stuff is surreal, cynical, funny, and has an unusual narrative structure.

Ok, yeah, that's broadly true of all his stuff, but probably most true of Slaughterhouse Five, which is also generally considered his masterwork (not necessarily in that it's his best work, but in the traditional meaning of being the work that established him as a master).

You also could try Mother Night, which we did a BotM on earlier this year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804025

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'll check out both from my library then. Wish me luck on throttling my focus problems!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Akutagawa's In A Grove is a short story everybody should read.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
as good a time as any to remember that a goon published a novel where the villain periodically says "buggeration and fuckery" and he dies in the middle of saying it so his last words are "buggeration and fucke---argh!"

also, is it frequency over all the 1-grams in the corpus, or frequency as % of documents in the corpus? i need to know so i should know whether or not to publish a book that's just the word "poo poo" several thousand times just to make a spike on there and finally make a lasting contribution to american lit.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it's from here: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2158244017723689

quote:

Our unit of analysis was the frequency of the use of a word in a specific year.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
who's the '50s cocksucker pioneer

SoCoRoBo
Mar 2, 2013

Alvarez IV posted:

I'll give another vote for 'A Good Man is Hard to Find'. Cormac McCarthy can apparently recite entire stories of hers be heart so that's a pretty good endorsement.

Shibawanko posted:

His Master's Voice is really good. I can't believe this is from 1968, he just casually predicts the future of the cold war accurately, and how we will eventually drown ourselves in useless information. It's obviously a companion novel to Solaris, it's like he wanted to make more explicit what he intended to say in Solaris by just writing a borderline philosophical treatise without the drama.

Thanks for this. I'd only seen the Tarkovsky adaptation of Solaris and Stalker and loved them so eager to give Lem a read in the mission to find sci-fi/fantasy that's legitimately good. Little, Big by John Crowley being the only 'good' one I've encountered so far.

A human heart posted:

is this trotskyite sci fi writer who i heard on a pod cast worth reading. that's a real tough one

Could be dude, I dunno?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lem didn't like Tarkovsky's Solaris and he didn't write Stalker. ('s source book, Roadside Picnic)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

You want Mother Night, Cat's Cradle, and Breakfast of Champions.

I wouldn't say Vonnegut is complicated, though. His style is minimal and catchy. His stories are non-linear, but they're never really convoluted.

You should try Thomas Pynchon if you actually want non-linear, convoluted narratives with unreliable narrators that is surreal, cynical, and funny. I'd say try V. or Inherent Vice. Or if you want something really short but more divisive, The Crying of Lot 49. His big tome masterpieces are Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon, but I recommend starting with one of the other three if you're trying to clear your cerebral cobwebs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks for the Murakami-related suggestions, I'll those names up.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what particular aspects did you like? There are a few directions to take it.
I guess the answer to this doesn't matter anymore but what I liked about Wind-Up Bird (which stands out more than other Murakami books in my memory) was the realistic and intimate observations of some of the inner-workings of relatioships and how that aspect of the book slowly unwound and found its culmination while the WW2 intermissions gave it more of a backbone. That kind of story isn't really my requirement though, it can be anything. I guess I liked the structure of the book and the methods Murakami used to convey what he wanted to say.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 8, 2017

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

looks like it's just the google books 1gram corpus, so project "write gently caress a few hundred thousand times" is a go.

it's also a little iffy for precisely those reasons (and google books ngrams doesn't split by genre, so there's some sampling issues as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

looks like it's just the google books 1gram corpus, so project "write gently caress a few hundred thousand times" is a go.

it's also a little iffy for precisely those reasons (and google books ngrams doesn't split by genre, so there's some sampling issues as well)

Do a funnier one, bring back quim for the mdoern era