Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Justin_Brett posted:

Does it make Calaca's second form fun to fight?
Don't know. I never even made past Javier in Gold, I just stopped because it was a chore to fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

Laputanmachine posted:

It's pretty good. The fix is basically a new ability that makes you go super saiyan. I personally didn't have that much trouble with the Gold Edition bosses, so the Turbo edition was s breeze.

I had some sort of bug that made the game run in double speed until I turned off VSync. On one hand it made the first few levels very frustrating, on the other hand it made the rest of the game pretty easy when I turned it off.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Well, in all fairness, most publishers would just push out a game with crippling launch bugs rather than postpone release.

The problem is that fixing bugs without proper testing is likely to just introduce new ones. I'd be happier if they delayed it sooner by a proper amount of time.

Oh well.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mega Comrade posted:

You can't do about 80% of the games content at level 20. If you don't like the game just say so but don't claim things that are untrue.

It was a joke, jesus christ.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

No stockings? All my dakimakura feature zettai ryouiki and I'd hate to buck the trend.

The mind said, "Hey, Dementropy, here's a thing you don't know, so you'd better look it up."

I replied with, "You're right, brain! The worst information is that which you don't have! Let's look it up!"

One quick search later, and I sacrificed basic knowledge - like how to boil water or dress myself or something - for a term I will never need to know.

I'm going back to playing Gauntlet*, and hope I never have the opportunity to use that in a conversation.

*While drinking LOTS of rum.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 26, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah, Guacamelee (with the Turbo upgrade) and Shadow Complex are the two closest at a actual successor to to the Metroidvania line. Cave Story and La-Mulana might, but they are more hybrid of other games as well.

Great, now you made me disappointed that Shadow Complex isn't on Steam.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Digital body pillows: For when real body pillows are too much physical contact for your spergin' rear end to handle.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

Great, now you made me disappointed that Shadow Complex isn't on Steam.

The new Strider game is basically Shadow Complex, but with halfway decent combat and bosses.

I really think that Shadow Complex wasn't that hot a game. Great graphics, but them deliberately designing the game around sequence-breaking, combined with the most weaksauce bosses I've ever seen in a Metroid-style game (it's pure Metroid, no Vania - same with Strider) kinda soured me on it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Strider's combat is so fast and fun, it's like as fast/visceral as Ys Origin/Oath combat. It's one of the few games I couldn't put down until it was done.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Digital body pillows: For when real body pillows are too much physical contact for your spergin' rear end to handle.
Ugh, 3D pig pillows. Real body pillows are too much work because they smell and accumulate grease and old skin and need periodic cleaning. 2D is always clean.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

The Forest will be good if it ever gets finished.

Yeah, The Forest and The Long Dark seem the most promising of the survival games. Neither one has MP if that's a deal breaker for people though.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Dementropy posted:

The mind said, "Hey, Dementropy, here's a thing you don't know, so you'd better look it up."

I replied with, "You're right, brain! The worst information is that which you don't have! Let's look it up!"

One quick search later, and I sacrificed basic knowledge - like how to boil water or dress myself or something - for a term I will never need to know.

I'm going back to playing Gauntlet*, and hope I never have the opportunity to use that in a conversation.

*While drinking LOTS of rum.

It was all worth it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ethan Carter just got released now for those interested.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Ethan Carter just got released now for those interested.

Jesus. I didn't expect it to be 11 GBs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

11GB of Alan Wake 2.5 sounds like a solid deal to me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mokinokaro posted:

Well apparently if you pre-ordered it the soundtrack is 2 gigs worth of FLAC files.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I've only been able to spend a few minutes with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter but so far I'm liking it. It's got the atmosphere, so far good voice acting, and great graphics. There's no hand holding either, although it kind of sucks there appears to be no in-game journal. The guy says he's been on hundreds of cases so you would think he'd write stuff down.

If you want it looks like you can go wherever you feel like at the very start, so that's pretty cool.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Great graphics is a bit of an understatement.

All in game screenshots I just took.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Yeah, graphics are bonkers. Just completed the sequence that was featured in that dev walkthrough. Very cool.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO if you want to play with friends of differing levels. All the zones are level-scaled, so if you are level 30 and go into a level 15 zone, it will de-level you to 15 while you are in that zone. Almost every MMO is almost impossible to play with friends if your levels are different.

Last time I played it Rift let you choose the level you wanted to "mentor" at with (as far as I knew...) no penalties. So you could drop to your friend's level or set your level to a certain zone's level at will. I really liked having the option to complete content on par or blow through it at an advanced level as a choice, rather than GW2's "You have entered this zone and now you must fight these level 15 monsters again, and they'll still be difficult even though you mastered this zone months ago" system.

[edit] Oh gee I must have left this tab open this morning and now look at all these pages...

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, graphics are bonkers. Just completed the sequence that was featured in that dev walkthrough. Very cool.

Gorgeous, and the mouse invert does nothing. Goddamnit, I hope that gets fixed quick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can see inverting an analog stick on a controller, but a mouse? That confuses me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can see inverting an analog stick on a controller, but a mouse? That confuses me.

Some people, you just, can't reach.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I used to be one of the mouse inverted, on the basis that you pull on a joystick to go up, so you should have to pull on the mouse as well. My excuse is that young me played a LOT of Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0; aww yeah 1FPS in a Cessna in wireframe. :coal:

then i'd accidentally nosedive and start bawling for mommy to save me. I was a dumb kid.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

But a mouse is a thing that you use to point at stuff. :eng99:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Zombie Samurai posted:

tehsid has it and has posted a few impressions. I'm hoping he comes around with more details because it does look pretty cool.

Re: Life is Feudal.

Its very alpha, very slow going. The devs have been good updating quickly which is nice and I hope that keeps up.

I've put in 10 hours and enjoyed it so far, even with this crashing and the slow pacing. My friend who plays with me has put in 24 hours in 3 days. He loves it.

You need people to play with. You'll hate the game alone because you can't do it all yourself. Skills are slow to progress and you can't master them all. So find a town and join them, see what they need. Or get a few friends and work out what rolls you all want to progress in. If you've played or know about Wurm Online, you know what you're in for.

It's not worth the $39.99 until you can put with the the jank and are willing to take the early access risk. Otherwise there is fun to be had.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, stupid question. How do you undo flagging something as 'not interested'? It lets me see that huge description of the discovery queue with the little sidebars saying how many games I've clicked past on the queue, how many are being followed, wishlisted, or set to not interested. But nothing about how to locate or remove games you set to not interested in case hey, maybe sometime you change your mind.

I also love how if you click on the "click HERE to learn more" above the Explore your queue option on the new store frontpage , it just pops up an box titled "How does this work?" With nothing inside it but a blank space and an Okay button for me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The Long Dark (a first-person post-disaster survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness) now has its backer alpha thingie on Steam now. It's only sandbox mode at the moment, no story or tutorial etc.

It should be noted that playing this game is NOT survival training!

When I start out I can see a train wreck in the distance. I figure it might have some kind of supplies I can use:

It turns out there's gently caress all to gather there, so I climb on top of the train and check out the Survival Menu:

Track your calories lost in real time, fatties! As you can see, I am freezing my rear end off.

Jumping back to the ground I am assaulted by a wolf:

I punch it a bit and manage to fight it off, but I am badly wounded. Foolishly I forgot to check how many calories this burned, it was probably a killer workout though.

Tired and injured I set my bedroll and decide to take a nap right there and then:

So ends my journey. This seems like a pretty realistic depiction of how I would fare in this setting. 10/10 recommended.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just what steam needs, another early access survival game!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Trip report : Roadside Assistance Simulator

Very European in style and mannerisms. Split into two basic modes : "control" and "missions"

Control has you running a very simple point and click interface to send trucks to jobs. There is a single sentence of flavour text for the jobs, and some jobs require different trucks / taking back to base.

Missions have you actually attempting to puzzle-figure out what is wrong with a car, usually involving clicking various parts and testing to see if they function. Sadly, the game does have a 'recommended' number of actions which kinda puts a bit of a limitation on things in order to achieve an optimal reward.

Speaking of rewards, there are upgrades in the vein of 'faster trucks to jobs' and 'use less fuel travelling to jobs' as well as helicopters, medical care.

For the price? YMMV.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Played an hour or so of Ether One, then had to quit because I was getting motion sick. Never had that happen outside of an FPS before. The game is taking a really long time to get interesting, though -- I know it's a puzzles-optional thing, but I have yet to encounter even an optional puzzle.

People talking about Only If -- are there jump scares? I can handle general creepiness, but I am a giant wuss about actually scary things.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Occultatio posted:

People talking about Only If -- are there jump scares? I can handle general creepiness, but I am a giant wuss about actually scary things.

No.

EDIT: It's not a horror game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shadow of Mordor embargo is up and the sites that "matter" (insomuch as games journalism matters, etc) all gave it no less than an 8, or 8 equivalent on 5 star sites. :unsmith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Shadow of Mordor embargo is up and the sites that "matter" (insomuch as games journalism matters, etc) all gave it no less than an 8, or 8 equivalent on 5 star sites. :unsmith:

Do the world a favor and just call it all entertainment news and blogging sites.

That's a pretty solid score across the board, though. What were the issues they had? The videos made it seem pretty awesome - but I had my doubts about a lot of the 'social' rpg aspects in game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They all solidly praise the Nemesis system and all roundly hate the story. So, what we were hoping for, I guess.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Drifter posted:

Do the world a favor and just call it all entertainment news and blogging sites.

That's a pretty solid score across the board, though. What were the issues they had? The videos made it seem pretty awesome - but I had my doubts about a lot of the 'social' rpg aspects in game.

Story/campaign missions/scripted boss fights mainly. Nothing but high praise for the combat/Nemesis stuff. Pretty much everyone is claiming it's the first real Next Gen game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've seen a bit of whinging about the controls; apparently riding carabors is finicky, and sometimes the parkour leaves him a bit stuck on environmental detritus, that sort of thing. Not a major game breaker to me!

(edit) Not all of them hate the story as such, but more of a take it or leave it sort of feeling I suppose :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do they hate the story because of LotR :qq: or because it's just generally poorly put together and told?

Man, I'm certainly interested in the game and I don't give a gently caress about Lord of the Rings poo poo so if they're just being spergnerds about how some elf never spoke to some lame dwarf in the canon books then it totally works for me.

And, yeah, the movement in the videos seemed pretty darn fun. I'm not an autist reactionary purist when it comes to such things.

vvv Hot drat. Is Ethan Carter open world like STALKER or Skyrim are? That's crazy. That looks amazing.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 26, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Great graphics is a bit of an understatement.

All in game screenshots I just took.
Holy hell this looks really great. Also welp I guess I'll have to upgrade my machine before playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

Do they hate the story because of LotR :qq: or because it's just generally poorly put together and told?

Man, I'm certainly interested in the game and I don't give a gently caress about Lord of the Rings poo poo so if they're just being spergnerds about how some elf never spoke to some lame dwarf in the canon books then it totally works for me.

And, yeah, the movement in the videos seemed pretty darn fun. I'm not a autist when it comes to such things.

Can't say, not having played it, but I get the sense it becomes a boilerplate revenge story before long. I don't think any of the reviews are particularly spergin on the lore aspects.

• Locked thread