Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

You could have been on one of the zillions of talk shows in the 90s! They loved to have on Satanists, or at least people who claimed to be satanists, and they were always "I did drugs and listened to heavy metal and Satan came to me and now I eat babies in the name of my Dark Lord!" and poo poo like that. No wonder boomers are so paranoid and just accepting of any BS claim, their brains rotted watching this all day when we were at school.

I used to live a stones throw from Spring Shadows Glen. They ran TV ads constantly in the 80's and 90's, usually during the game show and soap opera time slots.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/diagnosis-6572173

They also were a repressed-memories-of-Satanic-abuse factory. People who needed legitimate help were told that they had been abused as children by Satanic sex cults and they had managed to "unlock" the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PhotoKirk posted:

I used to live a stones throw from Spring Shadows Glen. They ran TV ads constantly in the 80's and 90's, usually during the game show and soap opera time slots.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/diagnosis-6572173

They also were a repressed-memories-of-Satanic-abuse factory. People who needed legitimate help were told that they had been abused as children by Satanic sex cults and they had managed to "unlock" the memories.

Yikes. Can't wait for people to come out and grift claiming to have been held prisoner by Hillary feeding into Q anon mythology.

I was watching this video recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2iIEnGUHVw
and the idea that the 90s was when such a major changed in daily life happened made incredible sense. I mean he's just taking it from a book he read but the point stands. Life in the early 90s was fundimentally like the 50s or 60s. If you wanted to find out the news, you had to choose from either a news paper or the TV which everyone else had access to. If you wanted to communicate with people, you either had to call them or go over to their place. But then by the late 90s the internet and easy access to computers utterly changed that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

twistedmentat posted:

Yikes. Can't wait for people to come out and grift claiming to have been held prisoner by Hillary feeding into Q anon mythology.

I was watching this video recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2iIEnGUHVw
and the idea that the 90s was when such a major changed in daily life happened made incredible sense. I mean he's just taking it from a book he read but the point stands. Life in the early 90s was fundimentally like the 50s or 60s. If you wanted to find out the news, you had to choose from either a news paper or the TV which everyone else had access to. If you wanted to communicate with people, you either had to call them or go over to their place. But then by the late 90s the internet and easy access to computers utterly changed that.

That guy’s a semi-covert chud whose bread and butter is making “debunking CrAaAaAzY left-wing talking points from the perspective of a rational non-partisan who finds value in both sides” vids btw.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

That guy’s a semi-covert chud whose bread and butter is making “debunking CrAaAaAzY left-wing talking points from the perspective of a rational non-partisan who finds value in both sides” vids btw.

Oh yea, he's a former writer for SunTV (which is a serious lol, as that was a whole poo poo show trying to make a Canadian foxNews), and it's hilarious he's an openly gay man living in Vancouver which makes the whole thing really :psyduck:. Though the video doesn't get into any of that. I like his videos about weird flags.

I wonder if that book is worth reading though. It might be blaming all our problems on the abandonment of Regan in the 90s or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I couldn't even get six seconds into that video. Dude looks and sounds like someone who should be far more ashamed of himself than he is, and he's waving a loving Klosterman book that just came out. Klosterman isn't a poo poo writer but he's also kind-of the emblem of Gen Xers who sold out as hard and fast as they could. You couldn't really get more Liberal-Corporate without just pulling Hillary out for a cameo.

And yeah that's biased as gently caress, but you need to understand-- I don't give a poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://twitter.com/2amcommercials/status/1483867350562742277

https://twitter.com/2amcommercials/status/1483066004251062272

https://twitter.com/2amcommercials/status/1483549581182910470

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, he's a former writer for SunTV (which is a serious lol, as that was a whole poo poo show trying to make a Canadian foxNews), and it's hilarious he's an openly gay man living in Vancouver which makes the whole thing really :psyduck:.

Dave Rubin is married to a man and just had two kids via surrogate and he’s also one of the most vile + contemptible + belligerent of our Right Wing chattering class, so it’s not really that :psyduck:

Although the Right is obviously intolerant broadly speaking, there’s a lot of opportunity for a gay/trans/woman/PoC to make a tidy sum riding the politics grift train as one of the token ‘good ones’.

Probably just another sociopath chasing that bag

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dave Rubin is married to a man and just had two kids via surrogate and he’s also one of the most vile + contemptible + belligerent of our Right Wing chattering class, so it’s not really that :psyduck:

Although the Right is obviously intolerant broadly speaking, there’s a lot of opportunity for a gay/trans/woman/PoC to make a tidy sum riding the politics grift train as one of the token ‘good ones’.

Probably just another sociopath chasing that bag

Also in Canada the right is way less openly hostile to anyone who isn't white, straight and male. Every once and a while some MP or MPP from bumfuck Alberta will go on about how gays are why the Oilers didn't win the Stanly Cup last year but they'll get a some attention for a few weeks and then slink off to obscurity. But you're probably right. He's probably someone who does the "Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative" that people tried to pull off a lot...in the 90s!

Seriously, you're both right. gently caress that guy, I won't bother watching his stuff anymore, no matter how neutral in tone it is. There's probably someone else that looks into weird flags.

Going back to that SL/FC thing that was brandished around so much in the 90s, it was seen as the most "resonable" political oppostion. You could think gay people should be allowed to exist without being arrested, but you are very concerned about people cheating on welfare. This is Clintonism in a nutshell. It was seen as sensible, people are people, but my money is my money!

mind the walrus posted:

I couldn't even get six seconds into that video. Dude looks and sounds like someone who should be far more ashamed of himself than he is, and he's waving a loving Klosterman book that just came out. Klosterman isn't a poo poo writer but he's also kind-of the emblem of Gen Xers who sold out as hard and fast as they could. You couldn't really get more Liberal-Corporate without just pulling Hillary out for a cameo.

And yeah that's biased as gently caress, but you need to understand-- I don't give a poo poo.

That's what I was wondering. I once read a book about the 50s that was really in depth on basically, everything; movies, tv music, the start of the cold war, the early days of the civil rights movement and so on. It was fascinating and I wish I could find something like that for other decades. I think Nixonland has a bunch of stuff about that, but its still mostly focused on Nixon and his cadre of criminal weirdos.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also in Canada the right is way less openly hostile to anyone who isn't white, straight and male.

lol what, no

the Canadian right is every bit as terrifying and venomous and frothing at the mouth as the right in any other part of the Anglosphere.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Thanks for getting the loving Enzyte whistle stuck in my head :thurman:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

D34THROW posted:

Thanks for getting the loving Enzyte whistle stuck in my head :thurman:

Wasn't Enzyte more an early 2000's thing?

And a few years ago I heard that same whistling tune in some other advert, can't remember what it was for, but got flashbacks to that creepy grin.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

minato posted:

didn't someone here have a story about how a cop handed around 2 joints to a classroom so everyone knew what they looked like, and made it very clear that if he didn't get them back there'd be hell to pay. When he got them back there were 3.

That was a pretty famous Bash quote back in the day, and there's a pretty heavy Goon/Bash.org crossover, so it's possible.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wasn't Enzyte more an early 2000's thing?

And a few years ago I heard that same whistling tune in some other advert, can't remember what it was for, but got flashbacks to that creepy grin.

It probably started in the late 90s, but I definitely associate the constant boner pill commercials more with the post-9/11 era, like 2002-2006. If you watched any sports on TV, you were getting ads for 2-3 different ones every commercial break (Like wacky/weird car insurance has been for a good bit of time, or crypto in general is now).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fartknocker posted:

It probably started in the late 90s, but I definitely associate the constant boner pill commercials more with the post-9/11 era, like 2002-2006. If you watched any sports on TV, you were getting ads for 2-3 different ones every commercial break (Like wacky/weird car insurance has been for a good bit of time, or crypto in general is now).

Bin Laden stole America’s boners

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Trust me no one was more upset about that then the dude that lost his drugs he was gonna do.

Edit: uh I think I missed whatever this was referring to

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I had forgotten all about this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHYcd8B-50

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 16:46 on May 26, 2022

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

The extended version was even better because the girl shot him like a dozen times for being a rat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This guy is 100% into crypto now, right? I feel like he's got to be.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Vandar posted:

This guy is 100% into crypto now, right? I feel like he's got to be.

"In an interview with the Washington Post in July 2007, Lesko admitted having assembled his books from government guides to grants and loans, quoting Lesko as saying of his first book "I plagiarized the whole thing" and "I didn't write a lick." Lesko later added "I get stuff for free and I sell it for as much as I can get."

Definitely crypto now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bloopsy posted:

The extended version was even better because the girl shot him like a dozen times for being a rat.

Pepsi had to close out the '90s by finishing all the family's business.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol what, no

the Canadian right is every bit as terrifying and venomous and frothing at the mouth as the right in any other part of the Anglosphere.

I said openly, they're just as bad as the US but hide it way, way better. In the 90s we had the Reform Party that showed up out of Alberta lead by a guy who was a insane Christian that came from a sect that forbid any kind of fun, including dancing and any kind of music. It was also full of people related to neo nazi groups and holocaust deniers. But they got lots of votes in the West because of the idea of Western Alienation. They still dominate the Conservative Party. Polliver is more mask off than the others, but they know that most Canadians are really put off by "JEEZU SAZ GAYS SHOULD DIE!" kind of talk. But you say it in a nice, pleasant way that implies gays are raising their taxes, yea that will work.

Unless you're talking local politics in the west, yea then you got idiots like Derek Sloan who uses his official account to sent messages to women who criticizes him messages hoping they get raped and murdered.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Neito posted:

That was a pretty famous Bash quote back in the day, and there's a pretty heavy Goon/Bash.org crossover, so it's possible.

This is some game theory poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I said openly, they're just as bad as the US but hide it way, way better. In the 90s we had the Reform Party that showed up out of Alberta lead by a guy who was a insane Christian that came from a sect that forbid any kind of fun, including dancing and any kind of music. It was also full of people related to neo nazi groups and holocaust deniers. But they got lots of votes in the West because of the idea of Western Alienation. They still dominate the Conservative Party. Polliver is more mask off than the others, but they know that most Canadians are really put off by "JEEZU SAZ GAYS SHOULD DIE!" kind of talk. But you say it in a nice, pleasant way that implies gays are raising their taxes, yea that will work.

Unless you're talking local politics in the west, yea then you got idiots like Derek Sloan who uses his official account to sent messages to women who criticizes him messages hoping they get raped and murdered.

I dunno dude, y’all just had your capital city held hostage for a couple weeks and had people openly calling for deposing and/or minecrafting Trudeau. I wouldn’t really call your chuds “covert” after that

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

I dunno dude, y’all just had your capital city held hostage for a couple weeks and had people openly calling for deposing and/or minecrafting Trudeau. I wouldn’t really call your chuds “covert” after that

Yea thats your rando chuds who live in buttfuck nowhere. No one in the national party would do get up and start saying that kind of poo poo. Canadians really hate that kind of stuff generally, not because we're some progressive paradise, but because we don't like vulgar, American style, politics.

Also they only were able to do that because the Ottawa Cops basically gave them handies the whole time, and I mean, ACAB.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea thats your rando chuds who live in buttfuck nowhere. No one in the national party would do get up and start saying that kind of poo poo. Canadians really hate that kind of stuff generally, not because we're some progressive paradise, but because we don't like vulgar, American style, politics.

Also they only were able to do that because the Ottawa Cops basically gave them handies the whole time, and I mean, ACAB.

Dude, do I have to pull up quotes and statements and weird tweets from tons of conservative members of local govt, province govt, and even the natl legislature? Or the outpouring of direct support and endorsement that the convoy cows got from said members of government?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Isn’t that girl like dead or her life ended up being some terrible tragedy?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

dialhforhero posted:

She's Jesse Eisenberg's sister and just sorta lives life now so that's probably just someone else you're thinking of

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004
I guess you could call that Eisenberg's uncertainty principle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean if I was in as many films and TV projects as she was between the ages of like 5 and 14 (for real, she was like ubiquitous in the 90s) I might consider not acting anymore either

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dialhforhero posted:

You're either thinking of the voice of Ducky from Land Before Time or that girl that played Cindy Lou Who in the Carrey Grinch film who went turbo goth.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

You're either thinking of the voice of Ducky from Land Before Time…

No

FilthyImp posted:

…or that girl that played Cindy Lou Who in the Carrey Grinch film who went turbo goth.

How is this bad and/or a tragedy?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dialhforhero posted:

How is this bad and/or a tragedy?
Maybe you're like totally squaresville, man.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I would describe that as the opposite of bad.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

:psyduck: and also importantly :ironicat:

She is cool af.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Daisy Chainsaw performing “Love Your Money” on UK show The Word

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i got ahold of this vhs tape when i was like 10, it was sort of a musical rosetta stone for me. didn't really know what to think of that kind of thing. 'cept that lady is fuckin cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaZWCGs7tFw

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

FilthyImp posted:

Taylor Momsen played Cindy-Lou Who? :psyduck:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I never really cared for Daisy Chainsaw but the singer's next band Queen Adreena had a few songs I really liked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saZN_0nUiV8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I never could stand Saved by the Bell. A Different World, however, was great. :hmmyes:

Anything with Sinbad in it belongs in this thread.