Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alta and Baja California used the “north is up hurr” convention.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 21:08 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tobermory posted:

Sure, my objection is that they are jamming a bunch of different concepts together in ways that don't make sense. Aristotle's whole discussion of "upper" and "lower" poles mostly came in the context of which parts of the celestial spheres were "right" and "left", because this was very important to the Pythagoreans.

I'm so glad we moved away from the archaic and ridiculous "upper and lower" methodology for naming the polar regions and instead went with the much more sensible and modern system of "does or doesn't have bears"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sky bears

Opposite sky bears

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Sky bears

Opposite sky bears
How far up do bears have to hover before they go from opposite sky bears, to being sky bears?

V. Important. Please let me know ASAP! (P.s Also important, sky bears rideable to safety? Yeah/Nah?)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Alta and Baja California used the “north is up hurr” convention.

In pretty much all other cases in any language I've heard it used it refers to either upriver and downriver (ie the original Canadas, the Nile) or highland/interior and lowland/coastal (ie Saxony, the US south, the Netherlands v various nearby lands) and it's really not difficult at all to understand. And those are basically the same just not always based on one river. I blame California for causing the confusion.

also

DarkHorse posted:

Totally in character for the US to settle the big-endian and little-endian debate by choosing the least useful and most confusing configuration of neither

Anglo Canada also uses MM/DD/YYYY all the time and they do not get called out NEARLY enough for it

see also: pounds, feet, inches, oven temperatures v outside temperatures being two separate units, they're honestly more inconsistent than americans in what unit you should use for a given thing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anglo Canada also uses MM/DD/YYYY all the time and they do not get called out NEARLY enough for it

see also: pounds, feet, inches, oven temperatures v outside temperatures being two separate units, they're honestly more inconsistent than americans in what unit you should use for a given thing.

Yeah our problem is we are so intertwined with the US economically that we adopt anything they do because it's easier when dealing with US businesses, but then Canadian exclusive stuff all uses its own formatting which is mostly in metric.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah our problem is we are so intertwined with the US economically that we adopt anything they do because it's easier when dealing with US businesses, but then Canadian exclusive stuff all uses its own formatting which is mostly in metric.

It also happens if you like, ask a person what height they are in plain canadian english, or go to a gym and ask how much somebody benches, or ask a random ontarian to write the date.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It also happens if you like, ask a person what height they are in plain canadian english, or go to a gym and ask how much somebody benches, or ask a random ontarian to write the date.

Yeah it's fun. A completely plausible sentence to hear in Canada would be "I drove a kilometre to the store buy a pound of potatoes, a liter of milk, and 6 feet of rope". No english-speaking Canadian would find this wild intermixing of imperial and metric at all unusual.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing keeping Canada from being worse than America is that many of the really bad Canadians emigrate to America.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I maintain the main functional distinction between anglo-Canada and the US is non-oven temperatures and kilometres v miles. In all other ways Canada is the same. And that km/mile distinction basically only applies to speed limits. Running in the US everyone does 5 and 10ks and marathons, and in Canada everyone knows a marathon is 26 miles, and everyone in both knows a 5k is 3.2 miles, etc. No one really knows what 150 miles vs 150km looks like but no one would ever describe that distance except in hours anyway.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

The only thing keeping Canada from being worse than America is that many of the really bad Canadians emigrate to America.

the answer to this is "population size" and nothing else.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Thus raising the IQ of both countries :razz:

It's funny how some units survive for a long time. I think a lot of it comes down to which system you were raised in. In the 1990s, adults would often use stones to give you an approximation of how fat someone was, which was completely nonsensical to us metric kids. It must be about ten years since I've heard anyone do that which makes sense because the people who were adults in the 1969 have retired and the people who run things now have been raised metrically. Everyone in NZ can still tell you that six feet is a tall guy, but I doubt many younger kiwis could tell you off hand how many inches in a foot.

On the other hand, I've never heard anyone in NZ casually use Fahrenheit, probably because weather forecasts have been using Celsius daily since 1969.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd literally like to point out that Canada is 100% still engage in honest to god real genocide against first nation peoples.
Openly.
Without any sort of real pushback.

The only difference between Canada and the US is that the US has more people and Canada has a better and unearned reputation.

Every western country is poo poo. US, Canada, any nation in Europe, the UK, Australia. All poo poo. The only difference is the timing.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

Base ∞ is the optimal base because you can represent all real numbers with a single digit. Very efficient.

Correction: all rational numbers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

I'd literally like to point out that Canada is 100% still engage in honest to god real genocide against first nation peoples.
Openly.
Without any sort of real pushback.

The only difference between Canada and the US is that the US has more people and Canada has a better and unearned reputation.

Every western country is poo poo. US, Canada, any nation in Europe, the UK, Australia. All poo poo. The only difference is the timing.

Yeah but at least those non-US countries have healthcare.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not really if you’re part of an indigenous community in Canada!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henchman of Santa posted:

the forced sterilization is free this is true :v

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's fun. A completely plausible sentence to hear in Canada would be "I drove a kilometre to the store buy a pound of potatoes, a liter of milk, and 6 feet of rope". No english-speaking Canadian would find this wild intermixing of imperial and metric at all unusual.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Found via an image search for "dunce graph", but I'd seen it before many times in the various make-fun-of-bitcoins threads.

He tried to warn us!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doesn't even include all the weirdness, like temperature should have even more granularity because we use F for internal body temperature and C for external world temperature, and mass should have even more granularity because for sub-pound measurement we go back to using metric measurements. Like everything is measured in pounds but if you go to a deli counter at a grocery store you buy your meat and cheese in grams.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Doesn't even include all the weirdness, like temperature should have even more granularity because we use F for internal body temperature and C for external world temperature, and mass should have even more granularity because for sub-pound measurement we go back to using metric measurements. Like everything is measured in pounds but if you go to a deli counter at a grocery store you buy your meat and cheese in grams.

Unless you're buying lots of weed, then you may get ounces. And I've seen grocery stores list some things in pounds and others in kg, I think as part of deceptive sales when they hope people may not look at the units too closely.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark, we are fully metric, except for screens, which are measured in inches.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BonHair posted:

In Denmark, we are fully metric, except for screens, which are measured in inches.

Same here in Sweden. TVs, computer monitors and phones are inches, rest metric.

Oh and tire pressure, where we use PSI or bar pretty much randomly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonHair posted:

Some people still use tønder land for sizes of farms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_of_land

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Real pros only use weight in metric for cooking. No need for volume.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Aren't a lot of measuring cups/spoons inconsistent in size across different brands, too?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Antigravitas posted:

Real pros only use weight in metric for cooking. No need for volume.

I only measure my ingredients in Newtons. All the weights are customized for my altitude.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SerialKilldeer posted:

Aren't a lot of measuring cups/spoons inconsistent in size across different brands, too?

Can you give an example? How inconsistent do you mean?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In the UK we literally had market traders protesting and getting fined over their right to only use imperial measurements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Martyrs

The dumb part was that they could do everything in imperial as long as they had a little tiny label giving the price in metric too. Same way we've ended up selling milk in 1.13 litre bottles - its 2 pints, everybody calls it 2 pints, but we still print 1.13 in the corner.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Subjunctive posted:

Can you give an example? How inconsistent do you mean?

I've got an older set that has things like 10mL tablespoons (I think it was supposed to be twice the size of a teaspoon) and I've seen a 50mL "quarter cup".

Is a tablespoon supposed to be half a fluid ounce? I've never been sure about that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Memento posted:

Is a tablespoon supposed to be half a fluid ounce? I've never been sure about that.

Yes. Approx 15 ml.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Double Punctuation posted:

I only measure my ingredients in Newtons. All the weights are customized for my altitude.

Oh yeah? I use Moles. :lofty: Makes Maillard reaction really precise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like to measure driving distances in AU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s gold, Jerry!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Memento posted:

I've got an older set that has things like 10mL tablespoons (I think it was supposed to be twice the size of a teaspoon) and I've seen a 50mL "quarter cup".

That 10ml spoon is a "dessert spoon" which is a measurement in between teaspoon and tablespoon that's basically no longer ever used.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

vyelkin posted:

That 10ml spoon is a "dessert spoon" which is a measurement in between teaspoon and tablespoon that's basically no longer ever used.
This triggered a memory that I'm almost positive is fake of an elementary school teacher telling us "did you know there's a dessert spoon in between a teaspoon and a tablespoon? Makes no sense, I'd want a soup spoon for my dessert!"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Don't you just use your dessert spoons? It's a measurement that gets used all the time here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah the dessert spoon is just the typical spoon you normally eat with. It's not got a lot of use in cooking because there's not a lot of need when you've already got teaspoons and tablespoons.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Generally you don't measure with spoons for eating and you don't eat with measuring spoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

Generally you don't measure with spoons for eating and you don't eat with measuring spoons.

Eating pudding with measuring spoons was a joy of mine as a child.