Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry but that's the general term, formerly PIIGS but Ireland somewhat got out of the club so it's not PIGS.

No, it's not "the general term". There's a reason people ever used "PIGS" and not "GISP" or whatever, and that was to demonise southern Europeans as lazy people who live off the northern states' generosity. Do not perpetuate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

unpacked robinhood posted:

The NPA are the ones who want opens borders/mandatory islam/free everything. I kinda wonder how accurate those polls are.

accelerationists/sleeper terrorist cells/far left contrarian idiots. i remember the case of a npa member who switched over to the fn over islam stuff.

YF-23 posted:

No, it's not "the general term". There's a reason people ever used "PIGS" and not "GISP" or whatever, and that was to demonise southern Europeans as lazy people who live off the northern states' generosity. Do not perpetuate that.

GIPS would be good one too lol

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 6, 2017

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The NPA are the ones who want opens borders/mandatory islam/free everything. I kinda wonder how accurate those polls are.

I think some of them might have sympathy for anything that looks like a popular anti-capitalist movement and some of them might be accelerationists, but it is admittedly hard to imagine the vocally, radically anti-islamophobic NPA people veering that way.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
all the npa voters i know are students at uni who are anything but islamophobic, but i'm guessing the npa probably attracts a fair amount of gently caress everything voters who probably vote for the npa because they're anti-establishement and probably know nothing about their program or whatever

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Since I was yakking about diesels and whatnot, and the EU's lack of prosecutorial action the other day: https://www.ft.com/content/aabb64b0-0280-11e7-ace0-1ce02ef0def9

quote:

Volkswagen faces a co-ordinated push by Brussels and national consumer agencies to sue the German company over marketing claims that diesel cars at the centre of the emissions scandal were “green”.
Vera Jourova, the EU justice commissioner, will meet consumer protection authorities in Brussels on Tuesday to decide on a “joint enforcement action” against VW, meaning the carmaker could face litigation in national courts across the continent for alleged breaches of European law.
Some national authorities also have powers to directly fine companies without recourse to the courts.
While these fining powers vary greatly, they can reach as high as 10 per cent of a company’s national turnover. Of the 11m VW cars caught up in the emissions-test cheating scandal, 9m were sold in Europe.
While Brussels lacks the authority to sue VW, the commission has decided to play a co-ordinating role, bringing together national authorities and providing the legal analysis necessary for them to build their cases.
“Volkswagen has breached European consumer legislation,” said Ms Jourova. “This cannot be without consequences. I will support EU consumer authorities to bring this to the next level.”

The commission flagged last year that VW’s actions appeared to breach the EU’s “unfair commercial practices directive”, which prohibits misleading advertising claims, in at least 20 member states.
Brussels also believes VW has broken a separate piece of EU law, known as the “sales and guarantees directive”, which requires goods to be “in conformity with the sales contract” for at least the first two years after the purchase is made.
The EU is... good?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

YF-23 posted:

Good luck getting him to break the habit of a lifetime & stop being a shithead.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LemonDrizzle posted:

Since I was yakking about diesels and whatnot, and the EU's lack of prosecutorial action the other day: https://www.ft.com/content/aabb64b0-0280-11e7-ace0-1ce02ef0def9

The EU is... good?
Death to diesel, and the ICE in general.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You can't spell diesel without die.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mozi posted:

You can't spell diesel without die.

if you jumble it up, it also spells 'lies'

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

accelerationists/sleeper terrorist cells/far left contrarian idiots. i remember the case of a npa member who switched over to the fn over islam stuff.

GIPS would be good one too lol
It was GIPSCI for a while. (Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus, Ireland).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This kind of language is only used by DUNGHEAP nations. (Denmark, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Estonia, Poland. (Sorry Estonia, I needed an E.))

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cat Mattress posted:

This kind of language is only used by DUNGHEAP nations. (Denmark, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Estonia, Poland. (Sorry Estonia, I needed an E.))
You're missing the "A" too - need Austria in there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

It was GIPSCI for a while. (Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus, Ireland).

I'll be very impressed by the restraint of some people if they didn't pronounce that the way I imagine they did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh they did. Hence why it's not a very "mainstream" term.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'll be very impressed by the restraint of some people if they didn't pronounce that the way I imagine they did.

Gipski is, as far as I know, only offensive insofar as it lightly mocks Polish postfixes.

:saddowns:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Wooo! #1!!

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh they did. Hence why it's not a very "mainstream" term.
I think Jamie Dimon coined it first, and he forgot about Cyprus, but he's not the only one either:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/891795/

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Good news everyone, the ECJ did not introduce Humanitarian Visas through his judgement today but ruled that they are not mandated by EU law, going against the trend as they usually follow the advice of the Advocate General, who in this case was for the humanitarian Visas.

http://www.dw.com/en/european-court-of-justice-rules-against-humanitarian-visas-for-refugees/a-37834318

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

It's almost like deregulating the construction business (less NIMBYism, less "we have to protect this rare animal", less corruption) would not only relax the situation in the housing market, but also provide jobs for low qualified workers.

What is with you right wing rear end holes and your complete disrespect for the environment? Pragmatically you could at least see it as a resource that must be managed to ensure it is worth anything. Instead we get flippant disinterest or, worse, actively malicious desire for destruction. 'Rare animals' matter. The environment matters. You right wingers live on the same planet. It benefits you as well. Stop making GBS threads where you eat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty concerned about the environment but I'm also pragmatic enough to understand that rare does not necessarily mean the last of its species, and if it stands between a frog in a swamp and housing for several hundred people, then the frog gets to move.

What pisses me off more about construction is when people say "We need to live close to nature!" and so we build sparse houses far from the city and in the process destroy a lot more nature than if we had just built a few dense and tall mixed-residential city blocks and left a whole lot more of nature undisturbed. Plus people wouldn't need to drive 20km to get to work each day, they could just walk a few blocks or take the bus/subway/light rail/what have you.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Portugal has a youth unemployment rate of ~25%, there should be at least some able bodied men and women in that, who can be trained to become construction workers and with an unemployment rate that high, people should not be as picky about their jobs anyway.
There's an already bigger construction workforce than actual work sites. So no, the solution isn't to build more poo poo. The whole drat Lisbon space is filled with holes already.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Collateral Damage posted:

What pisses me off more about construction is when people say "We need to live close to nature!" and so we build sparse houses far from the city and in the process destroy a lot more nature than if we had just built a few dense and tall mixed-residential city blocks and left a whole lot more of nature undisturbed. Plus people wouldn't need to drive 20km to get to work each day, they could just walk a few blocks or take the bus/subway/light rail/what have you.

That I agree with. Suburban private housing developments are a blight.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/839146138913624066

Macron continues to be the luckiest motherfucker in global politics.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fillon strangely manages to get 1789 signatures in this updated recap

e:vvv
:allears:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 7, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tomorrow Canard Enchainé is publishing that Fillon didn't tell the french IRS equivalent about borrowing 50k€ from a well known rightwing bussinessman Marc Ladreit de Lacharrière (billionaire, owner of the Fitch group and former member of the Steering Committee of the Bilderberg group, conspiracion theory level are reaching over 9000). His journal, "La Revue des deux mondes" is the one were Phenelope did some really well paid work too.
Assuming it's true, the leak is clearly from the rightwing. <insert sarkozy smiling.pjg>
edit: Fillon's current defense is "he forgot".

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 7, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol that owns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
man where there's smoke

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh boy i see that asselineau is nearing 500 signatures, just what the campaign needed

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Would Sarko make it to the second round or will the macron rally around the flag continue either way?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm pretty concerned about the environment but I'm also pragmatic enough to understand that rare does not necessarily mean the last of its species, and if it stands between a frog in a swamp and housing for several hundred people, then the frog gets to move.
I really don't agree. The question wouldn't be "Frogs or housing", it would be "Frogs or developers saving 1% on construction costs" or "Frogs or developers get to place expensive condominiums in a nature preserve to increase the value of the property", or some poo poo like that. The ones who should get told to just deal are people who live in not particularly densely populated areas around city centers, where the local government could open up for further development to increase density, reduce urban sprawl, and make public transport more viable. That would be of actual social benefit, without encroaching even more on our natural environment.

I really can't imagine a case where the whole "save the frogs?" dilemma isn't the outcome of a selection process which has eliminated a lot of much better options before people even get to have an opinion on poo poo.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

oh boy i see that asselineau is nearing 500 signatures, just what the campaign needed
Yes people need to know about the evil of wikipedia. It's good to see he will be able to post funny video alongside Cheminade.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I really don't agree. The question wouldn't be "Frogs or housing", it would be "Frogs or developers saving 1% on construction costs" or "Frogs or developers get to place expensive condominiums in a nature preserve to increase the value of the property", or some poo poo like that. The ones who should get told to just deal are people who live in not particularly densely populated areas around city centers, where the local government could open up for further development to increase density, reduce urban sprawl, and make public transport more viable. That would be of actual social benefit, without encroaching even more on our natural environment.

I really can't imagine a case where the whole "save the frogs?" dilemma isn't the outcome of a selection process which has eliminated a lot of much better options before people even get to have an opinion on poo poo.

There are cases in Germany, where projects have to be stopped, because they are to close (<200m) to an area, which could potentially be the habitat of certain rare birds, regardless whether the birds have actually been seen there or not. The issue is not that every last piece of land has to be built on, but there are clearly areas where there is a very high demand for new housing, and there it should not matter whether some endangered species might live there or not.

Further increases of density in those hot zones are of course another viable option that can be explored.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

Yes people need to know about the evil of wikipedia. It's good to see he will be able to post funny video alongside Cheminade.

i know an unironic asselineau fanboy in college, quite a thing to have on your facebook feed

he reads sputnik

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

i know an unironic asselineau fanboy in college, quite a thing to have on your facebook feed

he reads sputnik

A former work colleague likes him a lot and sometimes sends me links to his 5 hour long conferences.
I've no idea what Asselineau is about, except for the cringy catchphrase on his posters ("Asselineau est connecté avec les Français, déja 2 millions de connexions"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A former work colleague likes him a lot and sometimes sends me links to his 5 hour long conferences.
I've no idea what Asselineau is about, except for the cringy catchphrase on his posters ("Asselineau est connecté avec les Français, déja 2 millions de connexions"
Basically "Everything bigger than a municipal council is under control of the united states and we should exit it and i am not 100% certain about my municipal council." So Frexit, Nato exits and co. Sometime accused to be a counter fire to Lepen to make her lose the conspiracy vote but let's be honest, that's Cheminade.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So why is this rear end liner guy relevant? Honest question, I have no idea who he even is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He's about as relevant as Jill Stein was in the US elections.

Well actually less than she was; but you get the idea. Fringe candidate most media won't even speak about.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
He's just one of those candidates that are interesting for their weird ideas. I'm a fan of Sylvain "Christ cosmique" Durif, personally.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Cat Mattress posted:

Fringe candidate most media won't even speak about.

Which is something his diehard fans will never shut up about. It's like a running joke at this point. On every Facebook page, in every Le Monde comment thread, there is a dude talking about l'UPR, le parti qui monte! mais dont les médias ne parlent pas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Kassad posted:

I'm more surprised by the 1% of FN voters that don't support Le Pen. Who are these people?
Blind guess: People who believe that FOREIGNERS OUT and also that woman belong in the kitchen, not the government.