Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

I'm so sorry. Didn't expect it so soon.

(I hit him with an arrow aiming for the guy next to him).

davidspackage posted:

Hey.

Psst.

I know who you are.

hail Sithis

:eyepop:

For real though, I've never, ahem, needed so many followers. Are you going to...run out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rinkles, depopulating Skyrim one follower at a time. Let us know when you cave and start installing follower mods (or that one mod that lets you recruit anybody as a follower).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Join the Dawnguard and just buy a new Armored Troll for every outing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'd your character named Kirk? Because this is a helluva redshirt run.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are you using a "recruit anyone as a follower" mod yet?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fun fact, without mods, the number of enchantments that NPCs can actually make use of is tiny.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Should have got the ebony blade first.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

Fun fact, without mods, the number of enchantments that NPCs can actually make use of is tiny.

This is true, the armor might have not done poo poo LOL

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jack B Nimble posted:

:eyepop:

For real though, I've never, ahem, needed so many followers. Are you going to...run out?

Unlikely, there's a lot of potential followers. The trouble is finding them, which I'm trying to do without resorting to the wiki. I have two housecarls waiting in line (one's reserved for daedric sacrifice).

But I'm now strong enough that they're beginning to feel more like a liability, especially the melee ones (ironically, I would have blasted the draugr I was aiming at dead earlier if I wasn't worried about Cosnatch's safety), but ranged followers seem rarer.

Agents are GO! posted:

The wiki at least said resist enchantments work.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 2, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there no alternative Dawnguard start for existing vampires? Walking up to their doorstep seems suicidal.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rinkles posted:

Is there no alternative Dawnguard start for existing vampires? Walking up to their doorstep seems suicidal.

They can't actually tell. They're not that good at their job.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

wiegieman posted:

They can't actually tell. They're not that good at their job.

Bethesda_writing.txt

So, yeah, the Dawnguard are dumb and don't even notice a vampire walking in their front door. It's kind of amazing that they're capable of being THAT incompetent, but the writing is easier this way so they are.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can literally bring Serena up to them and go "yo I got a vampire with me!" and they don't bother getting hostile with her.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That’s unfortunate. They had the framework that was just asking for some cool reactivity, but didn't use it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The worst example in my eyes (also involving vampires) was the Morthal vampire quest where you need to solve the mystery in town, except at the start you can break into the vampires house and pick up their vampire diary by their coffin detailing all their vampire crimes, you still need to do about 9 more quest steps before you are allowed to give the diary to the jarl.

Was at that point I had no faith in the bethesda quest writers and started missing new vegas's writing team and how many divergent paths they planned for every quest.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I encountered that this playthrough too... as I was looking for someone to drain.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
making every death look like an accident, that's why they call him Rinkles 47

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Diana as the Daedric Princess of Untimely Death I could very much get behind.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The worst example in my eyes (also involving vampires) was the Morthal vampire quest where you need to solve the mystery in town, except at the start you can break into the vampires house and pick up their vampire diary by their coffin detailing all their vampire crimes, you still need to do about 9 more quest steps before you are allowed to give the diary to the jarl.

Was at that point I had no faith in the bethesda quest writers and started missing new vegas's writing team and how many divergent paths they planned for every quest.

I used to think people who did crimes were smart enough not to write it all down, but recent times irl show us that in fact crime doers are really really stupid.

The Morthal quest is forgivable because its just a dungeon run but drat do i HATE the Windhelm murder quest for being just the dumbest piece of poo poo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I always blame voice acting for narrowing Bethesda's writing, and I don't know why the counter example of New Vegas never jumped out at me before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sad to report I won't be taking on new bodyguards for the time being, as I'm working my way through Dawnguard with Serana.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Like all the villains in RPGs you can't be stopped, only delayed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So it's been over a year since I last played and I have a new laptop. Going over the op to start getting ready to mod and holy poo poo is that wabbajack as awesome as it sounds? If I can seriously not have to spend a whole day setting poo poo up and instead just click a button to get the mods installed in the right order, i'm gonna be in heaven. What are the downsides to this program?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Soonmot posted:

So it's been over a year since I last played and I have a new laptop. Going over the op to start getting ready to mod and holy poo poo is that wabbajack as awesome as it sounds? If I can seriously not have to spend a whole day setting poo poo up and instead just click a button to get the mods installed in the right order, i'm gonna be in heaven. What are the downsides to this program?

Yeah, it's great, I'll never gently caress with doing Skyrim or Fallout stuff myself ever again. Downsides are you really need nexus premium so there is a cost to it. You can do it for free but it won't be as automated, you'll have to click to download stuff rather than just letting it do it's thing. Also these mod lists are up to the mod list authors taste and they will add mods that you might not like. For example with most of the Skyrim lists they make a lot of the women look like supermodels. Personally it doesn't bother me at all but it's something people mention. Also, you really can't add mods yourself to mod lists because they use a lot of their own patches that they've made specifically for the lists. It's really easy to screw them up. But, equally easy to just fix them by rerunning wabbajack.

For me personally it's kind of rekindled my love of these games. It's pretty amazing how far this stuff has been pushed and what mod authors have been able to do. I've been playing Living Skyrim btw and it's been pretty great but there are a bunch to choose from.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Soonmot posted:

I got excited by the hype and tried it. Two lists wouldn't even begin to install, on the third I had to click 'download' for what seemed an eternity because I don't have Nexus premium, only to find out it wouldn't install. I didn't try a fourth.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Soonmot posted:

Yeah it's a game changer for sure. Would never go back to the previous way of doing things.

The downside for me is that it can be hard to make tweaks or remove a mod you don't like because most of them have a big compatibility patch at the end of the load order that includes everything.

Oh dear me posted:

I got excited by the hype and tried it. Two lists wouldn't even begin to install, on the third I had to click 'download' for what seemed an eternity because I don't have Nexus premium, only to find out it wouldn't install. I didn't try a fourth.

Uh yeah you need nexus premium. They are very clear about that.

It also helps to join the discord for a given list because they will have alternate links for any difficult files. They also sometimes have variations on the list that aren't on the wabbakack website.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Nexus premium is technically a soft requirement, but without it you'll need to manually click download on every single file and you'll be limited to 1Mb/s. It's theoretically possible but on a large list like Elysium you would be doing it for literally days.

With premium I have legit started installs remoting onto my desktop from my phone and then it's usually finished and playable by the time I get home. I bought lifetime premium when that was an option half a decade ago and I've got my money's worth many times over out of it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I can confirm Wabbajack is great and the main downsides are pretty much needing Nexus premium and lists being kinda locked down if you're not familiar with modding things too.

As an example, changing the perk mod in RGE would mean editing the general patch to remove all stuff forwarded from there perk mod it uses, rerunning the patchers like the Reproccer, and that's assuming the mod you replace it with didn't need its own edits and fixes in the general patch.

I'd recommend QWEST for a good content rich list that isn't heavy on system requirements or Aldrnari if you want it to feel like a new game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Does QWEST still feature that music mod with the incredibly distracting soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKizp0pDFtA

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Even for someone building their own list, I'd still recommend using SMEFT. That there's a wabbajack list that's just bug fixes, tools, and some base level mods (easily deactivated) is incredible, because otherwise hunting down all of that stuff and figuring out what's even still current can eat up a day or two all on its own.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Does QWEST still feature that music mod with the incredibly distracting soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKizp0pDFtA

I think I read the guy who originally made Qwest stepped aside. They are going to completely redo it but it isn't out yet. Also Aldrnari is made by the same guy who might have stepped away from that one as well, not sure on that. Also if you check the Qwest discord there are steps to remove that lovely music mod.

If you have any issues getting a list to install just join the discord and ask questions. It's usually really easy to get these lists to work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I haven't started looking at the wabbajack lists yet since I'm not off work until wednesday, but whichever one I pick is going to have ordinator in it. I loving loved that mod. So lets say I download a list and then just want to add a bunch of clothing mods on my own, will that gently caress things up? I'm gonna put in loving lightmagickasabers too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Soonmot posted:

I haven't started looking at the wabbajack lists yet since I'm not off work until wednesday, but whichever one I pick is going to have ordinator in it. I loving loved that mod. So lets say I download a list and then just want to add a bunch of clothing mods on my own, will that gently caress things up? I'm gonna put in loving lightmagickasabers too.
It depends, if the mod list you pick is one that doesn't make any changes to the equipment lists and leveled lists, then you're safe, but if there are any other equipment mods in the modlist, it becomes a toss-up.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

I think I read the guy who originally made Qwest stepped aside. They are going to completely redo it but it isn't out yet. Also Aldrnari is made by the same guy who might have stepped away from that one as well, not sure on that. Also if you check the Qwest discord there are steps to remove that lovely music mod.

That's good to hear, but I think I'll still go with Living Skyrim for my next run

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I love that Wabbajack lists are a thing but I have long since resigned myself to being the Skyrim equivalent of a car guy tinkering with a half-assembled '68 Corvair that will never actually leave the garage, and I'm not about to stop now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

docbeard posted:

I love that Wabbajack lists are a thing but I have long since resigned myself to being the Skyrim equivalent of a car guy tinkering with a half-assembled '68 Corvair that will never actually leave the garage, and I'm not about to stop now.

Yeah I've gotten the skyrim bug again and so far I haven't even made it to Whiterun before wandering back over to the nexus for something that looks cool and starting a new save.

Someone added fishing at some point, that's cool. Who needs the 10-year edition anyway?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've gotten powerful enough that clearing dungeons has become pretty boring, and since I'm primarily a summoner, I'm rarely in danger unless I get impatient. I should probably increase the difficulty further, but I'm not sure if a simple extra damage multiplier is what I'm looking for.

Even respawns where I lose my gear (alternate death mod) aren't a big deal anymore because most of my power is in my spells.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 4, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Weird, I'd figure you'd be more of a necromancer a this point :v:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rinkles posted:

Even respawns where I lose my gear (alternate death mod) aren't a big deal anymore because most of my power is in my spells.

Maybe the first time I enjoyed the Cidhna Mine questline was when I had a bit more spells than usual, and when I'd realized it was one of the handful of Skyrim quests that actually does offer a branching choice:

Revenge solves everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Maybe the first time I enjoyed the Cidhna Mine questline was when I had a bit more spells than usual, and when I'd realized it was one of the handful of Skyrim quests that actually does offer a branching choice:

Revenge solves everything.

Yep another example of what mightve been interesting limited by it being a bethrsda game.