Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Save money don't play standard

I agree. If only I had a place to play an eternal format regularly.

Though I am cashing every pack I win in for credit and I've bought three copies of Liliana of the Veil that way and traded in the Invocation Force of Will I opened at the Amonkhet pre-release for a a couple of Tarmogoyfs and a playset of Polluted Deltas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Standard is fine when your starting out, it can be an excellent way to build your collection until you have the funds/winnings to start buying into eternal formats.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's a great disservice to this great game that we have to see more sam black

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LordAbaddon posted:

Standard is fine when your starting out, it can be an excellent way to build your collection until you have the funds/winnings to start buying into eternal formats.

Oh I know. When I started playing again last summer after selling my entire collection that included a bunch of eternal staples to goons in 2013, I bought into white weenie for $200 and built up to Skred Red because it was cheap and I wanted to play Blood Moons. Then I built up to RW Prison and have an Elves deck sans Caverns of Souls and Horizon Canopies. Got two Tarmogoyfs in the MM3 drafts I did and traded that ugly rear end Force of Will for the other two. The shop I play at has a couple of Horizon Canopies, and I've been buying these copies of Liliana of the Veil at a rate of one per month on credit, so I should be able to get those Canopies at about the same rate.

And for those of you that play in places that don't let you trade in prize packs for credit: keep them and sell them when you get a bunch the next time you go to a grand prix or Star City Games open or regionals.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

funmanguy posted:

You say that, but im looking at the 7+ win decklists and seems like three or four flavors of agro. That seems abnormal too

Mono-red can get beaten back by Zombies and BG decks. When that happens, control decks can be built to beat those, but as it stands it's just too difficult to gain control while also having a quick, resilient clock to stop yourself from dying horribly to damage from lands.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes, standard was hosed, ANY banning is rare, five is historic

Three separate bannings is actually incredible. Skullclamp got banned, then the Affinity stuff. Jace and Stoneforge got banned together. In Urza's block, Academy got banned, then the almost as stupid cards got banned (Jar, Time Spiral, etc.) then Mind over Matter finally got banned. Getting three separate bannings is much more significant than just 5 cards getting banned since there's no excuse for the Cat not being banned immediately upon the spoiler being released (and then them having to emergency ban it was even more shameful) and there was a high chance that Marvel should have been banned at the same time that Emrakul was because it was only a matter of time before a powerful enough card came in to replace Emrakul and it turned out that Ulamog already existed to fill the gap.

mcmagic posted:

Reflector Mage was a bad ban.

Reflector Mage would have immediately shut Standard down and Cat Combo would have been the only viable deck, so yeah the fact that Mage got banned meant Cat Combo existed for a lot longer than it should have.

Copter could get unbanned and the only reason it was banned was to get people to replace it with Heart of Kiran.

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's been a while since I've watched a PT, but it seems like they have actually improved the quality of their coverage a decent amount? It feels way better than a year or two ago.

Riley Knight is REALLY good at play-by-play and building hype, it's actually absurd how good he is.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

You are the worst poster in this thread, and this is counting McMagic and myself.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, the mono-red mana base is terrifying and I don't think we've seen anything quite like it in recent memory. Ramunap Ruins plus Sunscorched Desert is a casual 5 points of burn that doesn't cost cards and only gets countered by Disallow or Stifle Bird.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 30, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, the mono-red mana base is terrifying and I don't think we've seen anything quite like it in recent memory. Ramunap Ruins plus Sunscorched Desert is a casual 5 points of burn that doesn't cost cards and only gets countered by Disallow or Stifle Bird.

It costs 3 turns and having 4 other lands not counting the ramunap/desert. You also run into the issue of getting unplayable hands because the colorless desert and losing due to loss of life from the ramunap. It gives some reach, but it does come at a cost.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

It costs 3 turns and having 4 other lands not counting the ramunap/desert. You also run into the issue of getting unplayable hands because the colorless desert and losing due to loss of life from the ramunap. It gives some reach, but it does come at a cost.

Eh its a really cheap "cost." It honestly reminds me of the omnipresent of mutavault in mono black devotion in that so much of their manabase is free for spell lands.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

I don't think anyone argued that it was literally free, but it's a serious payoff for being mono-red, a huge upgrade over the previous option of "I guess I can run Hanweir Battlements or something?", and probably what pushed the deck to the forefront.

EDIT: Sometimes Legacy Elves has to mulligan because their only land is Cradle, but it's still an automatic four-of.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 30, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tainen posted:

Abrade was the most obviously underpriced card in the set. I bought a play set for 3.50 last week.

No uncommon should be over a dollar.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

swiftspear?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

None. None ever

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't know why you're complaining, every time this happens it makes the EV of the set skyrocket

I also still have wonderful memories of New Phyrexia and the titanic amount of playables it had, so if you think that's a bad thing then u can fite me

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

None. None ever

Wastelands and Forces of Will for a buck? I'm in.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Is imminent doom playable in any way?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Someone tell me what the sweet hazoret play was!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Is imminent doom playable in any way?

I had it work to great results in draft on MTGO last weekend :v:

I had two!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Star Man posted:

Wastelands and Forces of Will for a buck? I'm in.

As a guy that owns more than a playset of each I'm with you.

My collection value could wipe itself out and I wouldn't care. Playing is more fun then collecting cardboard fake money.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Man, mirrors are so frustrating to watch if they don't have any control over their draws. So often it feels like "whoops, I drew two two many/one too few lands, RIP"

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Someone tell me what the sweet hazoret play was!

I'm guessing it was the discard falkenrath gorger with one on the battlefield and play it with madness

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Might have been crewing Harvester, then playing a second Hazoret to legend rule the tapped one and swing?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Holy poo poo. Is this the biggest punt at the protour ever???

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Dehtraen posted:

Yeah that was fuckin crushing

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dehtraen posted:

That's gonna be a long walk back to the hotel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Context? I keep missing the good parts.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
/\/\/\ dude topdecked the game 5 win against PV but hosed it up by going to combat without playing a card to get his hand down to 1 card for Hazoret

He deserved it for that card drawing habit he had imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

We gonna need a rundown of this

sit on my Facebook posted:

/\/\/\ dude topdecked the game 5 win against PV but hosed it up by going to combat without playing a card to get his hand down to 1 card for Hazoret

He deserved it for that card drawing habit he had imo

Yikes

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Context? I keep missing the good parts.

He drew the Incendiary Flow that would've let him swing with Hazoret and kill PV that turn, but he got so excited that he drew it that he swung with Hazoret first, forgetting that the Incendiary Flow was the second card in his hand. So he was in Declare Attackers with no legal attacks, effectively lost his turn, and PV killed him.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
One player drew up to two cards, saw he had the win in hand and went right to combat and tried to swing with the Hazorat. Then his opponent pointed out that it can't attack because he has two cards already in hand. He then proceeded to lose the match. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

That was a pretty brutal punt in a game five of the PT quarters.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
He smacked the table afterwards and if I were a gambler I'd say that's gonna be the next "Kibler Gets Bonfired" gif

like I genuinely feel for the guy, he's gonna get made so much fun of on Twitter tomorrow

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
For those not watching:

In game 5 of the Semis, Yam topdecked lethal burn combined with the spell he already had and his Hazoret. His opponent was tapped out, so he immediately flung her into the red zone...except he did so before casting either of his spells, both of which were sorcery speed. Hazoret couldn't attack because he had two cards in hand, but by attempting to declare her as an attacker he had moved the game out of his first main phase and was no longer allowed to cast his spells. This left him short of lethal and drastically behind on life, and his opponent was able to leverage that advantage to close out the game and advance to the finals.

It was a pretty savage IRL misclick.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

He smacked the table afterwards and if I were a gambler I'd say that's gonna be the next "Kibler Gets Bonfired" gif

like I genuinely feel for the guy, he's gonna get made so much fun of on Twitter tomorrow

How do you even make fun of someone for that? It's like you saw someone stepping on a rake except the rake was secretly a landmine. All you can do is wince and cross yourself.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Voyager I posted:

For those not watching:

In game 5 of the Semis, Yam topdecked lethal burn combined with the spell he already had and his Hazoret. His opponent was tapped out, so he immediately flung her into the red zone...except he did so before casting either of his spells, both of which were sorcery speed. Hazoret couldn't attack because he had two cards in hand, but by attempting to declare her as an attacker he had moved the game out of his first main phase and was no longer allowed to cast his spells. This left him short of lethal and drastically behind on life, and his opponent was able to leverage that advantage to close out the game and advance to the finals.

It was a pretty savage IRL misclick.

Yeah, like...

This is a heinous punt.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Haha gently caress that guy. Slowly squeezes his card and then instead of calmly making sure he has lethal for what is probably tens of thousands of dollars, he spazes out and chokes away the game.

e: These games are actually untimed right? I mean I've counted up lethal multiple times when playing for 10 play points, it's the ultimate gently caress up I love it.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 30, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Wait was this in the finals? Someone on Twitter is saying semi's.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

#NotmyPT

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Wait was this in the finals? Someone on Twitter is saying semi's.

No it was the first semifinal, PV just advanced to the finals.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

No it was the first semifinal, PV just advanced to the finals.

Okay, okay. Still just brutal, but I was over here thinking dude lost the PT on that play.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Okay, okay. Still just brutal, but I was over here thinking dude lost the PT on that play.

If you lose the PT like that I think you just die on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I can only imagine the emotional rollercoaster of going down 0-2 in the first two games of a Bo5, coming back to even it up, topdecking the win in the final round and then watching it all turn to ash because you got too excited to remember your sequencing.

In the space of five seconds that kid went from "Oh my god I'm going to the finals" to "Oh my god I'm going home and it's because I made a totally unforced error".