Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Now they have a much better system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Hey I just said better. They started with "literally nothing"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just after reading about the bans in predator the other day me and my friends got wiped by a extremely obvious cheater in ranked, talking half the lobby dead to him beaming them for 100% of their health full auto and 180 snap aiming and knowing where every single hiding player was at.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Matchmaking currently is by far the worst it's ever been.
It used to work on some 'bucket' system, trying to balance out players:

I'd usually get one team mate that was like pred level sweat, and the other that wasn't great but at least knew how to equip a shield and shoot. (how I miss that)

They then scrapped this in favour of some model with the absolutely absurd goal of balancing it so at least everyone gets one kill.
https://x.com/Respawn/status/1610387427058937856
So now i get two teammates fresh out of their provisional bot games and we get rolled by some 20 bomb three stack.
It's not fair to me, it's not fair the new players, and it's just exhausting working so hard for a kill or dragging them to their first victory.
My KDR has gone up and my win rate has plummeted and it loving sucks.

Besides, it never was, and never really will be skill based, it's always been about getting you into a game asap.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
That's not their current model. That's just a chart that shows that the model from post-holiday improves player results. The model they showed uses a system of identifying paired engagements and produces skill based on exposure to fights with others. Their goal isn't to improve kills, it's to get players to not churn. They're just not going to post their churn rates on Twitter (but it's in their GDC talk! With the Axis removed I believe).

I don't think it's perfect, but the entire point was that when Solos first existed there was NOTHING and this time they have a system.

That old system used to be based on your damage output only, btw, and weighted lifetime damage and recent game damage. Better than what they had but I think, well, very far from how you want to optimize that type of thing, and it would not get good outcomes. Empty calorie damage would obliterate your win rate, so it would overestimate your ability if you tended to get in longer skirmishes with lots of healing and underestimate your skill if you were opportunistic and pounced on weak teams or cleaned up as a third party

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is there a public VOD for their talk? Tried looking it up on the gdc website but it's paywalled

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alter is definitely a bad-timeline version of Horizon, right? I haven't bothered looking at the lore videos or anything but they're the same height, silhouette, etc. Their abilities are even kind of similar if you squint.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

It’s not impossible since they’re being cagey about her true origins, but giving her a different ethnicity makes it seem less likely to me. They’re definitely tying her story to Horizon though, and heavily implying that Horizon’s time travel attempts usually end up destroying their respective dimensions. Kind of an accidental Kang the Conqueror situation I guess.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

haven't played in months jumped into solos get ruined by someone playing alter with 1500 kills already

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I'm new to the game, but I've been noticing that often in the mixtape games, TDM etc, the scoreboard often says i have 0 kills/0 points/0 damage, even when i have a ton.

Has anyone else had this happen? Happens in probably 4/5 games I play. The top right of my screen in game will have an accurate kill/dmg amount listed, but the entire game i'll be at 0 on the scoreboard. Just wondering what the deal is with that...

e: i actually just played a TDM where everyone in the lobby was 0/0/0 at the end. WTF lol. Every other player besides me was Wraith, so IDK are there bots in the mix modes?

e2: just got my first win in Trios.... gently caress ya....

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 23, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tetramin posted:

I'm new to the game, but I've been noticing that often in the mixtape games, TDM etc, the scoreboard often says i have 0 kills/0 points/0 damage, even when i have a ton.

Has anyone else had this happen? Happens in probably 4/5 games I play. The top right of my screen in game will have an accurate kill/dmg amount listed, but the entire game i'll be at 0 on the scoreboard. Just wondering what the deal is with that...

e: i actually just played a TDM where everyone in the lobby was 0/0/0 at the end. WTF lol. Every other player besides me was Wraith, so IDK are there bots in the mix modes?

e2: just got my first win in Trios.... gently caress ya....

I play a decent amount of mixtape and I've literally never noticed that, huh. Not sure what could be going on.

Also grats! The first win in BR always feels good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Whatever they use for matchmaking is pretty good compared with the likes of Call of Duty. I have won exactly 2 matches of Warzone with 1 million hours played, whereas I squeeze a win or two per week out with Apex.

I have scudded myself. I don't know what's happened but since this post I have been getting loving slaughtered pretty much every match!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It helps to play for positioning rather then chasing every noise that pops into your ears, so many times I've watched people give up the best position in the final circles to chase kills just to have another team take it and win.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It helps to play for positioning rather then chasing every noise that pops into your ears, so many times I've watched people give up the best position in the final circles to chase kills just to have another team take it and win.

If only that was the only problem! I have watched teammates recently spray their SMGs at enemies barely within sight, or when we're clearly outmatched by the skill in another team they use themselves as cannon fodder.

runchild
May 26, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If only that was the only problem! I have watched teammates recently spray their SMGs at enemies barely within sight, or when we're clearly outmatched by the skill in another team they use themselves as cannon fodder.

I’ve had a lot more success in solos than duos/trios, and I think that can be partially attributed to not worrying about teammates making boneheaded plays. The one do-over doesn’t hurt either. Kinda stressful though, gets my heart rate up.

runchild
May 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/playapex/status/1797721691956601261

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else been having connection issues? The last week or so the game has been pretty close to unplayable. I'm lagging badly, but it's only in Apex. Other online shooters I play don't have this issue. I've tried 3-4 of Apex's servers too.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Carillon posted:

Anyone else been having connection issues? The last week or so the game has been pretty close to unplayable. I'm lagging badly, but it's only in Apex. Other online shooters I play don't have this issue. I've tried 3-4 of Apex's servers too.

There was one evening last week where there seemed to be some server problems. I was getting loss quite a bit, saw some people streaming had it too. But since then it’s been fine for me.

Whats the general strategy for landing in a contested POI? I feel like I try to land near my team but somewhere that I can at least get a gun, but I end up getting hosed from that quite a bit. I actually feel like I end up losing more often than not when our landing is immediately contested. Maybe I should start just landing with my teammate(s) and hope we both can get armed so we can take on the opponents together.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2024

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I personally would be prepared to battle an enemy team

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Play lifeline, prepare to run the moment things go south and craft your teammates banners. Ape the enemy if you are winning. If you are downed and things are going south pray your teammate runs and crafts your banner. :v:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Up Circle posted:

I personally would be prepared to battle an enemy team

Lol :agesilaus:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tetramin posted:

There was one evening last week where there seemed to be some server problems. I was getting loss quite a bit, saw some people streaming had it too. But since then it’s been fine for me.

Whats the general strategy for landing in a contested POI? I feel like I try to land near my team but somewhere that I can at least get a gun, but I end up getting hosed from that quite a bit. I actually feel like I end up losing more often than not when our landing is immediately contested. Maybe I should start just landing with my teammate(s) and hope we both can get armed so we can take on the opponents together.

you should try to stick with your team if you know the drop is going to be any hotter than warm. if you don't you're putting your team at a disadvantage against teams that did stick together

alternately, play wraith or octane, press q and run directly into the enemy murderball, yell about how your team is a bunch of <insert preferred slur> and then disconnect when you inevitably die

runchild
May 26, 2010

Season 21 Patch Notes posted:

Guaranteed Weapons out of Loot Bins
The first loot bin opened by an unarmed player will always contain a weapon

If your squad lands on one of those 3-bin clusters you can all be strapped in short order without getting separated.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

runchild posted:

If your squad lands on one of those 3-bin clusters you can all be strapped in short order without getting separated.

That's actually really good to know! Some places I land are a land of seemingly nothing but ammunition, attachments, syringes and shield cells. I wish you could choose to throw such items at enemies as a last resort. I don't think I'd mind being knocked out by a shield battery, bet it hits like a fire extinguisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bins guarantee a weapon now if you don't yet have one so aim for one if in doubt