Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/Eureka_Bing/status/1784530438608007202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Nice to see that Chinese car commercials also feature gratuitous aspirational off-road(or at least unpaved in the woods road)driving, perhaps we're not so different...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

"the SUV deploys its drone in order to find a mate..."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Iriscoral posted:

I don't think the Long March 9 (the starship competitor you are talking about) is going to actually go to Mars, or at least in the variant its currently designed as. The entire point of LM-9 at its current stage is a straightforward, no frills, (partially-)reusable cargo rocket that can facillate the expansion of base facilities for the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program, as compared to the techbro wetdream do-everything that's Starship. It could be used for cargo to Mars, but as of now there's no idea whether it will be fitted to be human-capable. Frankly I doubt it, given that Tianwen-3 (the next exploration probe to Mars) is only going to be a thing in the 2030, and is already planned to use a Long March 5. China simply doesn't really have big massive scale laid plans for Mars (or human colonization beyond the Earth Sphere in general). Besides, if Tianwen-3 succeeds, they will already have become the first to get a Martian sample-return, because all the American efforts have gotten cancelled (including the latest one to get Perserverence's own samples). That's a big enough achievement already.

Also the space race is kinda meaningless. Whether or not China beats the US back to the moon isn't really important, what's more important is the setup and construction of space infrastructure to facillate bigger activites on the moon and in-situ resource extraction. The Artemis program is already extremely compromised by having the boondoggle that's Gateway and reliant on various moving parts that don't gel together, as well as the lack of ambition for doing things on the Moon. ILRS and its related programs don't have these problems and are already far more conceptually sound, and if Roscosmos can get its act together and pick up the slack, the better.

No one's even riding Starship to the moon, that's the funny part. Starship's entire involvement with Artemis is silly when you actually think about it (though like I said, the entire Artemis program is dumb). Human transfer from Earth to the Moon and vice versa is done via the Orion capsule attached to SLS, and Starship HLS is purely to act as fuel supply and depot, alongside actually landing people on the moon, with human transfer between Orion and Starship being done through Gateway. There's a lot of unneeded poo poo going on to facilitate the process.

In fact that its ability to land, let alone get out of Earth orbit safely has yet to be tested is one reason for Artemis 3's delays, because they need the drat thing to actually 1) land, 2) do so on the Moon, far away from Earth. Its so bad they are considering restarting the tenders to get an alternative lunar lander.

As far as Long March 9, it would be at least powerful to do so, we will see what they do with it. Also, to be honest, getting to Mars first would be quite a coup, perhaps they wouldn't use the LM9, but it does give them some type of capability.

As far as Artemis 3, I think it is even more complicated than ever that, they are also going to fire a bunch of other starship orbit as fuel haulers, fuel up the lander Starship, and then have that come over to transfer to Orion. I haven't seen so many moving parts in a mission and honestly there are many ways it could go wrong.

As far as space race stuff, it does and doesn't matter at the same time. By getting back to the moon first (or Mars), China knows the US will respond with a massive amount of investment, which has to come from somewhere, and so, in a certain way prestige matters even if the broader plans don't change that much. It is more or less the same for Mars even if they don't really have large scale plans at this moment.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:59 on Apr 29, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
they will have to launch ~10 fuel starships to fuel the one that does the translunar injection iirc lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

genericnick posted:

Are you reading Shrike posts? But yeah, there's no obvious way out for Japan. But then, neither is there one for Europe so welcome to the club!

There’s a very obvious way out actually.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

yep

it's why the west spends trillions to make it seem like there isn't!!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Chinese are very low key on the moon mission future plan. IMO its just a prestige project that only serves the matter of building up an image for the third world to see.

Kind of like building more carriers at this point when the warfare technology has moved beyond the carrier platform.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Japan does? I don't know about that.

All their gold bars are stored in the NY federal reserve building, and the country has the largest number of US troops stationed on it outside of the US.

BTW I can't confirm this with a quick search, supposedly Abe wanted the Yen devalue to 300.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
My guy, loving Afghanistan, Niger and Chad can get US troops out. Japan can make it happen if they put their minds to it.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

How about a moon roof and just keep the drone we'll never use in a box.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

My guy, loving Afghanistan, Niger and Chad can get US troops out. Japan can make it happen if they put their minds to it.

yamagami gets the suicide squad collar put on him and released to take out whichever general is in command of the Japanese occupation forces.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

They already kicked the marines out of Okinawa all the way to Guam because no one would take them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Mike Lee was threatening to pull all US troops out of Japan if they didn't release and hand over that serviceman with the really dumb name who ran over a Japanese couple while drunk driving

they should have taken the out

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Palladium posted:

correct me if im wrong but the nationalism to an indian liberal means "what is the fastest way to acquire american citizenship"

dunno about indian liberals but the BJP's braintrust is full of hyphenated americans. For what it's worth indian liberals have been getting their dream privatization and are horrified by it. They also don't have enough power.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

US troops importing Omicron into Japan after the country halted international flights was a Top 5 Covid Moment

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Palladium posted:

correct me if im wrong but the nationalism to an indian liberal means "what is the fastest way to acquire american citizenship"

it means going to canada these days op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

he is risen

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
wb ait

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Iraq can't kick out the US bases when the whole country wants to, it's going to be a lot harder for Japan. It's easier to overthrowing the LDP regime.

edit: I am behind the loop, what happened to AT?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Apr 29, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

welcome back!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

well well well, look whos back. WB!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Welcome back.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Welcome back!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thanks guys

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
holy poo poo he's alive

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

holy poo poo he's alive

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

my dad posted:

holy poo poo he's alive

KirbyKhan posted:

Welcome back!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ChinaDaily/status/1784940203033141337

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

glad ur alive

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

my dad posted:

holy poo poo he's alive

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

:wave:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Brad_Setser/status/1784750342519066715

China watchers very mad that the cars are cheap.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
nowhere else in the world has a government ever saved a carmaker from going bankrupt

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What does "internal demand for 20m" even mean? I thought demand was a price responsive curve. Don't tell me that economists have been fibbing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
20m cars in a 1.4b country is a problem...

a problem of brain smoothness

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

ikanreed posted:

What does "internal demand for 20m" even mean? I thought demand was a price responsive curve. Don't tell me that economists have been fibbing.

slave to my cravings posted:

nowhere else in the world has a government ever saved a carmaker from going bankrupt

lol they’re so mad about it

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Very exciting times here in Korea.

Yoon finally met with the opposition party leader, after 2 years in office.

quote:

President Yoon Suk-yeol 윤석열 held his long-postponed first meeting with Democratic Party Chairman Lee Jae-myung 이재명 민주당 대표. Yoon broke with South Korean political tradition, in which the president meets the leader of the opposition party shortly after taking office, by refusing to meet with Lee for nearly two years. Yoon backed down only under severe pressure in the wake of his party’s landslide defeat in the General Election 총선. Disagreements over the agenda nearly derailed the meeting, until both sides agreed on April 26 that the two leaders would meet with no agenda.

Yoon and Lee ultimately met for more than two hours on April 29. Lee opened with a lengthy prefatory statement covering virtually all of the opposition’s major talking points, including Yoon’s autocratic turn, the economic stimulus package proposed by the Democratic Party and the need for a special prosecutor investigation into the death of marine corporal Chae Su-geun 채수근 상병. (See Dig Deeper below.) In the closed session that followed, Yoon reportedly spent most of his time saying he would not accept any demands from the opposition. Afterward, Lee said the meeting was “disappointing” but “meaningful as a first step toward communication.”

His wife continues to hide from the public.

quote:

Romanian president Klaus Iohannis visited Seoul while First Lady Kim Geon-hee 김건희 영부인 continued to stay out of the public eye.
President Yoon Suk-yeol and President Iohannis held a summit meeting on April 23 at which both pledged to continue the strategic partnership Seoul and Bucharest inaugurated in September 2008.

Meanwhile, Yoon’s wife only attended the non-public events scheduled for Iohannes’ official visit. It has been more than 130 days since Kim appeared at a public event, due to the ongoing controversy sparked by video footage of her accepting a bribe.

Japan is having a sort of TikTok moment of their own with the LINE app, even involving Softbank superbrain Masayoshi Son

quote:

In a move reminiscent of the United States’ attack on China-owned Tiktok, the Japanese government is attacking the South Korean owners of LINE. Pressure on the instant messaging app, which is ubiquitous in Japan, threatens to boil over into a diplomatic row, despite the continuing and increasingly obsequious efforts of South Korea’s Yoon Suk-yeol 윤석열 to improve the cross-channel relationship.

LINE was developed by Naver 네이버 as a rival product to Kakao Talk 카카오톡, which took South Korea by storm in 2010. It proved unable to unseat Kakao Talk as South Korea’s “everything app” for instant messaging, payments, and taxi-calling, but succeeded in occupying that position in Japan, which accounted for 83m of the app’s 164m monthly active users worldwide as of 2019.

Currently, LINE is a joint venture between Naver and SoftBank Group, an investment firm founded by Korean-Japanese investor Masayoshi Son, who acquired a 50% stake in the company in 2021. The joint venture entity, A Holdings, holds a 65.4% stake in the Line Yahoo Corporation, the operating company for LINE and Yahoo! Japan, which Softbank operated prior to its acquisition of LINE.

The Japanese government, however, has taken issue with an influential messaging app being half-owned by a South Korean company. After a hack and data breach in November 2023 leaked personal information for more than 500k LINE users, Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications demanded that LINE push out Naver, which the ministry blamed for the breach. On April 25, the Digital Society Advancement Committee of Japan’s ruling Liberal Democratic Party summoned an executive from Line Yahoo Corporation to demand a stronger response to the breach.

The attack on LINE is becoming an embarrassment for the Yoon administration, which has justified its capitulation to Japan’s demands on slave laborers and radioactive wastewater from the failed Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant with claims that if South Korea “fills the cup halfway, Japan will reciprocate.” The conservative Chosun Ilbo 조선일보 has run a series of blistering articles and editorials accusing Tokyo of treating South Korea “like an enemy country.” In an April 26 press conference, the Rebuilding Korea Party 조국혁신당 said: “The Yoon administration claims improvements in cross-strait relations as its top achievement, but cannot say a word when Japan seeks to take over LINE.”

The public continues to backslide into discrimination and sexism.

quote:

Two local governments abolished their Student Bills of Rights 학생인권조례 in a homophobic backlash. On April 24, the provincial legislature of Chungcheongnam-do Province 충청남도 voted to abolish the province’s Student Bill of Rights. It was followed by the Seoul city council, which did the same two days later. The liberal-leaning elected superintendents of Seoul and Chungcheongnam-do Province have both vowed to challenge the vote in the courts.

Gyeonggi-do Province passed the first Student Bill of Rights, which has since been credited with ending corporal punishment and restrictive hair and dress codes, in 2010. Five out of South Korea’s 17 highest-level local governments have since followed suit with their own Student Bills of Rights. But the bills, which also prohibit discrimination on the basis of student pregnancies and students’ sexual orientation, have drawn criticisms from conservative civic groups. Some teachers have also complained that the Bills of Rights leave them with no effective way of dealing with disruptive students.

quote:

According to the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family’s 여성가족부 recently released 2023 Survey on Family Conditions 가족실태조사, there has been a significant resurgence of stereotypical views on gender roles since 2020. In 2020, 22.4% of respondents agreed with the statement that “Men should be the main economic provider for the family,” a view endorsed by 33.6% of respondents in 2023.

Among 2023 respondents, 18.9% agreed with the statement that “Men should be the main decision maker for the family,” a sharp increase from 9.8% in 2020, while the proportion of respondents agreeing with the statements “Women should be the main homemaker” and “Women should be the main caretakers of children and the elderly” rose from 12.7% to 26.4% and 12.3% to 21.5%, respectively, over the same period.

The resurgence is consistent with the rise of toxic misogyny among young South Korean men, and the increased support for the retrograde views appears to be attributable to the increase in respondents under 30. (The survey did not break down the respondents by gender.)

And a K-Pop battle that could destroy BTS and New Jeans lol

quote:

What seemed to be another mundane round of K-pop corporate infighting has erupted into fireworks surrounding the creator of NewJeans 뉴진스, one of the hottest K-pop girl groups.

On April 22, HYBE Entertainment, the production company that created BTS 방탄소년단 and is the most highly valued in the industry, claimed that Min Hee-jin 민희진, the 45-year-old star producer responsible for such superstars as Girls’ Generation 소녀시대, f(x) and Red Velvet, was attempting a hostile takeover of ADOR, a subsidiary label of HYBE headed by Min that owns the rights to NewJeans. HYBE accused Min of plotting to leverage her 20% stake in ADOR to oust HYBE’s 80% ownership by pressuring NewJeans to cancel their contract with the company. HYBE has demanded that ADOR shareholders terminate Min, and says it plans to file a criminal complaint against Min for breach of duty.

Min fired back in spectacular fashion on April 25. Flanked by two lawyers who appeared utterly bemused by their inability to control their star client, Min held a rambling, profane two-hour press conference that was televised live: “There are too many fuckers in this business. Sorry I cursed, but I gotta relieve some stress. … These assholes send around all these KakaoTalk screencaps, trying to kill me. They are making me out to be some psycho. If you want to come at me, come at my face, don’t talk behind my back. I’m just an ignorant art school bitch. Look at me, wouldn’t you think, ‘Man, that’s some crazy bitch?’”

HYBE reacted immediately, calling her press conference “full of lies” and demanding Min resign from ADOR. The price of HYBE shares crashed, wiping out more than KRW 1.2t (USD 0.8b) in market cap in a week. But Min’s press conference effected a surprising turn in public opinion after many women identified with her railing against the old men at her workplace: “HYBE is rich and they used me as much as they could. I perform for them. I didn’t do anything wrong - it’s not like I go around in a chauffeured car just so I can drink and play golf.” The striped green shirt that Min wore at the press conference quickly sold out, attesting to the charisma of her performance.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Gildiss posted:

Very exciting times here in Korea.

Yoon finally met with the opposition party leader, after 2 years in office.

His wife continues to hide from the public.

Japan is having a sort of TikTok moment of their own with the LINE app, even involving Softbank superbrain Masayoshi Son

The public continues to backslide into discrimination and sexism.

And a K-Pop battle that could destroy BTS and New Jeans lol

that whole blurb reminded me that Yahoo! used to be a giant tech company until the CEO turned down a massive buyout from Microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao look at this poo poo

https://www.businessinsider.com/recession-outlook-layoffs-job-market-economy-growth-debt-levels-china-2024-4

China beats growth estimates, the US falls short. They can't really keep harping that chinas economy is bad for a few months, so they just the way chinas economy is structured is bad and that the US is heading down that path. (Despite the foundations of the economies and outlooks being completely different)