Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I should use root explorer to backup my /elf folder, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, there's no d2uscc device repository, but that's basically only because there's nobody to test it.
Good news! A d2uscc maintainer has stepped up, if all goes well d2uscc nightlies should happen "soon".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is the Galaxy Nexus GSM really not officially supported in CM10? Or am I being an idiot?
Any reason not to use it from the forums?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

deong posted:

Is the Galaxy Nexus GSM really not officially supported in CM10?
It is, that page is just out of date.

Here's the official CM9 stable builds and official CM10 nightly builds.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thanks.
I found the nightlies, I guess I was just expecting it to be on that last. I'm all set up in CM10. I'm still shocked by the ugly rear end CID logo. And I feel dumb for it bothering me at all hah.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Then you'll feel great because they're introducing YET ANOTHER new logo that this time isn't scary and really long and stupid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogp9f4_yEoU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Actually, that looks much better.
If they do 1 boot animation per version, that would make sense. I'm not sure why there is the honeycomb pattern in the JB animation, but I'll take that over CID any day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slopehead posted:

Then you'll feel great because they're introducing YET ANOTHER new logo that this time isn't scary and really long and stupid!

You know, considering the drat thing is just a bunch of stills strung together, I think I am going to work through it in Photoshop and take out the "(mod)" on there. Just Cyanogen, "mod" sounds childish to me.

On the other hand, I like that it's a shorter loop and doesn't have some ridiculous mascot. Right now I'm torn between using the Nexus "X" boot animation and the Nexus 7's diagonal lines thing, and I just jump back and forth. It seems a bit disingenuous not to have a CM boot screen but they're all embarrassing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, Nova launcher or the default trebuchet?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Neither, Apex launcher is better than both of those.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

deong posted:

So, Nova launcher or the default trebuchet?

Why don't you try them both and see what you like better, instead of trusting people's wildly differing opinions?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I kind of like a minimalist boot thing. Right now I have the star wars republic insignia.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 22, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zero VGS posted:

Neither, Apex launcher is better than both of those.

I honestly don't know what the difference is other than Trebuchet being the default and part of the settings menu.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

I honestly don't know what the difference is other than Trebuchet being the default and part of the settings menu.
Apex and Nova both slot into the Setting menu for the launcher.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Apex and Nova both slot into the Setting menu for the launcher.

Oh, that's pretty cool then. Either of them speedier/smoother than trebuchet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Oh, that's pretty cool then. Either of them speedier/smoother than trebuchet?
I only used Trebuchet for about thirty seconds before replacing it with Nova. I've never tried Apex at all.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
In CWR, if I have a nandroid backup and choose to wipe data/factory reset, will I lose my nandroid backup too?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smeed posted:

In CWR, if I have a nandroid backup and choose to wipe data/factory reset, will I lose my nandroid backup too?
No, it doesn't touch the SD card.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slopehead posted:

Anything's better than their lovely mascot, Cid. :colbert:

EDIT: Okay, maybe NOT anything.

Odette fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 22, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All I can think of is the "MAKE IT SPIN" Thunderbirds spoof from Stargate's 200th episode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

All I can think of is the "MAKE IT SPIN" Thunderbirds spoof from Stargate's 200th episode.
This was exactly the first thing I thought of too.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Tunga posted:

quantegy
May 18, 2002

I'd recommend Cyanogen, if only because they're pretty much the only folks who give a poo poo about stability and reliability. http://get.cm/?device=fascinatemtd (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Fascinate:_Full_Update_Guide for detailed instructions on updating)

Thanks, I found that but I wanted ICS and they don't have a version for the Fascinate. If I understand right, this was supposed to be CM9 but the file is gone from goo.im.

I suppose I could try CM10 nightlies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Does anyone know of a decent roundup of all the various launchers out there? ADWLauncher seems to crash a lot and I want to take something else for a spin on my CM7 HTC G2/Vision, but I'd like to be able to read about/see screenshots of other launchers before I go through the effort of reconfiguring my phone yet again.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

quantegy posted:

Thanks, I found that but I wanted ICS and they don't have a version for the Fascinate. If I understand right, this was supposed to be CM9 but the file is gone from goo.im.

I suppose I could try CM10 nightlies.

goo.im had a server crash and complete data loss, so yeah it'd be hard to find that file again. Just go with CM10.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I see the settings menu for the CM10 phone app (I assume this is a stock Jellybean component) has settings for Caller ID and "My phone number". Is there a way to edit outgoing caller ID or am I misinterpreting these features?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zero VGS posted:

I see the settings menu for the CM10 phone app (I assume this is a stock Jellybean component) has settings for Caller ID and "My phone number". Is there a way to edit outgoing caller ID or am I misinterpreting these features?

The only options I see are to use the "network default", hide the number, or show the number. I don't believe that there's any option to spoof or otherwise change your outgoing caller ID.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
There's also the thing below that says "My phone number" - "Set the phone number for this device" two options down. Is that just a cosmetic thing for the phone info section of settings, or does that have some real function?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Is there a better PC file manager with root file manipulation abilities than Droid Explorer? I can't even install the latest version it keeps encountering errors.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

StickFigs posted:

Is there a better PC file manager with root file manipulation abilities than Droid Explorer? I can't even install the latest version it keeps encountering errors.
I'm not sure what you mean by "PC file manager".

Do you mean a file explorer for your phone? Or some sort of software that installs on your PC to somehow navigate your phone?

If you mean the former, ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer are the favorites around here. If you mean the latter, I don't have any idea why one would ever need that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
He means the latter, it's a GUI for ADB as far as I can tell.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Does anyone know of a decent roundup of all the various launchers out there?

Wouldn't this question be better served in the General Android or Application specific thread? Save particular functions that require root, it's not really applicable to this particular thread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

He means the latter, it's a GUI for ADB as far as I can tell.
Ah. How often is one in ADB that they need a GUI? There are only like 30 commands total in ADB and only maybe five one might need from time to time.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Stupid question: I flashed Bugless Beast on my Verizon Gnex back in July, and I've periodically been checking back to Peter Alfonso's site to see if there are any updates available.

When you go to the downloads page here There are a couple labeled "nightly," the most recent of which is the one I flashed, and then several more recent files that are labeled with stuff like "4b88043277ed421a183d093860ca2ae3." What the poo poo are those?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Drifter287 posted:

Stupid question: I flashed Bugless Beast on my Verizon Gnex back in July, and I've periodically been checking back to Peter Alfonso's site to see if there are any updates available.

When you go to the downloads page here There are a couple labeled "nightly," the most recent of which is the one I flashed, and then several more recent files that are labeled with stuff like "4b88043277ed421a183d093860ca2ae3." What the poo poo are those?

It's the MD5 Hash. Not sure why it's in that column, but they appear to still be nightlies.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, I downloaded one and it looks like you'd normally find in a rom zip file, but I wasn't sure about the weird labeling.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Drifter287 posted:

Yeah, I downloaded one and it looks like you'd normally find in a rom zip file, but I wasn't sure about the weird labeling.

Its to guarantee that your download didn't get corrupted. Google "MD5 generator", install the program, then run it on the downloaded ZIP file. It'll take a few minutes, then spit out a hash. If its different than the one they listed, the ROM is corrupted and could not work.

I used to calculate them, but for the most part, I don't bother. I do for recoveries, as if the recovery is corrupted, it CAN brick your phone.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There are CM10 nightlies and AOKP for the USCC version of the SGS3 now.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I have a hard bricked tmobile galaxy tab, cant get to download or recovery mode and no detection from ADB but it is warm when I charge.

Is this the only way to recover a hard brick? Are there alternatives?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312391

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm thinking about rooting my Galaxy S2, but I have some doubts. I just updated to 4.0.4, and from what I can find on google there's some kind of "brick bug" but nothing that told me what it actually was or what to look out for. Is there something I need to know about this? Or can I just try SuperOneClick without worrying that it's gonna turn my phone into a doorstop? :ohdear:

e: I did find something in this very thread about just dropping a rom on the flash card and not worrying about having root control. Would this be sufficient for someone who's completely green about rooting or would I still be limited to unrooted market apps and the same old settings I always had?

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 26, 2012