Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DeathBySpoon posted:

But really, I enjoyed it. Turn it to easy, look up how to cheese most of the battles, and just play it for the story, which is pretty darn good. I find P2 a little harder to get into, but it's definitely good too. Play the PSX versions and use Gameshark or whatever to lower the encounter rate and increase the EXP payout. That's all it takes to make them really enjoyable.

That sounds like it would be the best way to do it. Thanks.

El Belmondo posted:

But the battle system in Soul Hackers was good :confused:
How does Soul Hackers hold up? That was another SMT game I was sort of interested in playing. I was actually surprised it got an English release. Did the first Devil Summoner game get localized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Max Wilco posted:

That sounds like it would be the best way to do it. Thanks.

How does Soul Hackers hold up? That was another SMT game I was sort of interested in playing. I was actually surprised it got an English release. Did the first Devil Summoner game get localized?

Soul Hackers plays just fine, it's just dated (it still uses the Magnetite system) and it's probably the fastest of all of the classic SMT games. It's also pretty easy compared to any of the main titles. Devil Summoner 1 never got localized, but I'm told that's not really a big loss.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
While SMT4 story has really great moments and a lot of twists on the end, the fact that is Japan-centric kind of turn me off (specially on the neutral route), but I loved the worldwide angle on SJ and felt better handled the law and chaos factions there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The problem with SMTIV's story is there isn't enough Navarre. How do you give me such a great character and take him away after the first boss? Thankfully Isabeau rocks otherwise I would've lost hope in the game's characters.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I wish you could choose him to be on your device instead of Burroughs. I want him to insult me and laugh like a maniac every time I save and reload.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Max Wilco posted:

It's pretty solid, it plays like any SMT game released before 2000, but the 3DS version has tons of additions like difficulty setting, compendium, and faster dungeon crawling and battles compared to the original. The only real negatives are the bugs in the game.

Max Wilco posted:

Did the first Devil Summoner game get localized?

No, and it never, ever will :negative:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The problem with SMTIV's story is there isn't enough Navarre. How do you give me such a great character and take him away after the first boss? Thankfully Isabeau rocks otherwise I would've lost hope in the game's characters.

There's a challenge quest involving him in Kicchigiorgi Forest after the alignment lock. :ssh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually liked Walter and Jonathan, which is more than I can say for SJ's characters that were just "Generic Law girl and Chaos Guy"

Like you can see how someone would choose to follow either one of them, if not take things to the absolute conclusion.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While SMT4 story has really great moments and a lot of twists on the end, the fact that is Japan-centric kind of turn me off (specially on the neutral route), but I loved the worldwide angle on SJ and felt better handled the law and chaos factions there.

I'm not quite sure that the SMT series is for you if being "Japan-Centric" is a negative.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Persona 1 makes me sad, because I actually really like everything about it that isn't the gameplay, but the gameplay itself is so archaic that I've never been able to force myself to struggle past the halfway point. Though the PSP remake has an easy mode, doesn't it? Perhaps I should try again on easy. Persona 2 is excellent, and despite being very different mechanically, I think I'd still recommend it to anyone who liked 3 or 4.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not quite sure that the SMT series is for you if being "Japan-Centric" is a negative.

Yeah. That's most of the appeal of them... At least to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually liked Walter and Jonathan, which is more than I can say for SJ's characters that were just "Generic Law girl and Chaos Guy"

I thought Jimenez was cool, but Zelenin was just sort of there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I still find it hilarious that you can use a real life map of Tokyo to help you get around in SMTIV. Makes me wish that there were some RPG set in, say, New York City with a similar map design.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I still find it hilarious that you can use a real life map of Tokyo to help you get around in SMTIV. Makes me wish that there were some RPG set in, say, New York City with a similar map design.

Does Pokemon Black and White count? :v:

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
I may never beat the game, but I can't imagine any character more annoying than Zelenin. I just replace everything she says with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4iIOBB0nfw

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay. Currently in the second "White" world where Akira is a demon. Did I hit the alignment lock yet?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Okay. Currently in the second "White" world where Akira is a demon. Did I hit the alignment lock yet?

If you have to ask, then you haven't hit it yet.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

RadicalR posted:

Its comin up right after that.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Ugh, I have no idea what my alignment is right now. Since the cynical man isn't in the bar...

RME
Feb 20, 2012

He doesn't appear until a good bit into the game.
e; missed your other post, he doesn't appear until after the Lock now.

RME fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 19, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You realize they just said they're like, a couple hours tops before the lock, right?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RadicalR posted:

Ugh, I have no idea what my alignment is right now. Since the cynical man isn't in the bar...

You're not going to see him again until after the route lock at this point. Just play it on faith! Or save a file for where you are now and save to another slot up until you beat Kenji. You can leave before hitting the button to save, so you don't need to fight the boss again if you pick the wrong options at the lock.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think it's a negative, but is kind of odd how they're talking about bringing a new era for all the humanity when in the end everything's focused on Tokyo and the rest of the world is stuck on a limbo. At least on Nocturne you have they handwaved the fact with the vortex world.

In the end, I just loved SJ setting and implications for the franchise. And truth be told, the series' appeal for me is the clever use of the world's mythology and the moral choices present on it's plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't think it's a negative, but is kind of odd how they're talking about bringing a new era for all the humanity when in the end everything's focused on Tokyo and the rest of the world is stuck on a limbo.

It's not really any different from the fact that a bunch of American action movies are focused around New York or Not New York, Really even when theoretically having worldwide consequences. It's easier to focus on a large familiar city than the entire world.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really any different from the fact that a bunch of American action movies are focused around New York or Not New York, Really even when theoretically having worldwide consequences. It's easier to focus on a large familiar city than the entire world.

Oh, I understand that, is just that I came to expect a better plot from the series. Really, just gave a trhowaway line at the ending or don't mention the rest of the world at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe another spinoff will deal with a more global aspect like SJ did, but the mainline series will never, ever deal with anything outside Tokyo in any real respect.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maybe another spinoff will deal with a more global aspect like SJ did, but the mainline series will never, ever deal with anything outside Tokyo in any real respect.

True. Still, I would love to see them using another mythology as extensivaly as they been using the japanese one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

True. Still, I would love to see them using another mythology as extensivaly as they been using the japanese one.

Persona 2 used a lot of Greek mythology, as did 3.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Neeksy posted:

Persona 2 used a lot of Greek mythology, as did 3.

And the mainline series tends to run off a twisted version of the Abrahamic religions rather than anything distinctly Japanese.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The only game in the franchise I can think of that extensively uses Japanese mythology is Persona 4.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ChaosArgate posted:

The only game in the franchise I can think of that extensively uses Japanese mythology is Persona 4.

Not really, that only came up with the Personas of all the party members and Izanami at the end.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not really, that only came up with the Personas of all the party members and Izanami at the end.

Okay so Yasoinaba refers to the myth of the Hare of Inaba - doesn't really come up as a story element but the game literally slaps you in the face with references from the first cutscene.

Also the first fake final boss Kunino-Sagiri or Kuni-no-sagiri is mentioned as a Goddess of Fog in some sources i.e. kind of relevant to the story as a whole, although the game attributes said fog to Ameno-Sagiri :shrug:.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

And the mainline series tends to run off a twisted version of the Abrahamic religions rather than anything distinctly Japanese.

The mainline series has the Judeo-Christian god at the top but overall is a very Shintoesque view of the world. All the gods from different mythologies exist and are functionally the same as the demons and spirits with only power level really separating them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Joshlemagne posted:

The mainline series has the Judeo-Christian god at the top but overall is a very Shintoesque view of the world. All the gods from different mythologies exist and are functionally the same as the demons and spirits with only power level really separating them.

Even then it's hinted (and outright stated in the original MT2) that the god nominally at the top is just one part of a shadowy hive mind of entities that control the universe. Which jives with the not-too-uncommon Japanese belief that there's some sort of nebulous, usually deistic creator god or group of gods behind the whole (Buddhist) cycle of laws that the (Shinto) gods are subject to just like the rest of us.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really want them to bring Thanatos back some day. Yeah, he's really integral to P3, but I just really like his design and wish it was in more of the games.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

I really want them to bring Thanatos back some day. Yeah, he's really integral to P3, but I just really like his design and wish it was in more of the games.

Not gonna lie that scene where Thanatos ripped Orpheus into parts from inside of the latter was the first part of any SMT game I'd ever seen and cemented my love for the series.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't think it's a negative, but is kind of odd how they're talking about bringing a new era for all the humanity when in the end everything's focused on Tokyo and the rest of the world is stuck on a limbo. At least on Nocturne you have they handwaved the fact with the vortex world.

In the end, I just loved SJ setting and implications for the franchise. And truth be told, the series' appeal for me is the clever use of the world's mythology and the moral choices present on it's plot.

I don't think it's super unreasonable for the mainline games to take place in Tokyo. The circumstances vary, but it boils down to the fact that the powers that be have chosen Tokyo to be their final battleground in a pretty arbitrary way. By the time the apocalypse occurs at or before the beginning of each game, basically every major political entity on earth has been compromised by agents of the Demon world, with their activities focused on a clairvoyant awareness that Protagonist et al will be in Tokyo when the time comes.

I don't think it's that weird for writers to set their material in places familiar or important to them, especially if it's reasonable in the narrative. Ghostbusters has Gozer the Gozerian manifest in New York City because "big movie," but it's justified pretty well in the narrative because it just happens to be the city that Ivo Shandor constructed his ludicrous demon summoning tower in. Stephen King novels would have you believe that every part of Maine is lodged tightly into a portal to Hell, but really he just seems to really be inspired the melancholy beauty of rural Maine.
Basically, I'd rather have Atlus make a game with a well-informed Tokyo than with, say, a completely misrepresented London.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

deadly_pudding posted:

Basically, I'd rather have Atlus make a game with a well-informed Tokyo than with, say, a completely misrepresented London.

I kind of what to see what their misrepresented London would look like now... Besides, you'd almost certainly have the option to kill a god in Big Ben. That's pretty awesome. Or in the Tate Modern, that'd pretty cool too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I would like to see other gods having as much of a role as Masakado has on IV. I mean, it would be nice to have more guardian deities from different cities all over the world.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I advocated in favor of the Japan setting, but nonetheless, if they made XCOM, but all your units had a Demon Summoning Program... :getin:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I kind of what to see what their misrepresented London would look like now... Besides, you'd almost certainly have the option to kill a god in Big Ben. That's pretty awesome. Or in the Tate Modern, that'd pretty cool too.

What's the name of that huge building that looks like a butt plug? There should definitely be a showdown with Mara there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Joshlemagne posted:

What's the name of that huge building that looks like a butt plug? There should definitely be a showdown with Mara there.

Do you mean the Gherkin?