Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
A 2lb brisket? That's.. not a lot. Not sure about when you get that small, but it's not uncommon for a trimmed brisket to have a 50% yield. You might end up with a 1lb cooked brisket. Not a lot for 3 people. I'd be worried about it drying out?

If I were you I'd go with both ribs and brisket.

edit - BBQ snipe tax. Beef ribs, sous vide for 36 hours then smoked with hickory for 4 hours. Very good!

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, yeah it's a 2 pounder but we're trying not to pig out. That said, if it really does shrink down by a lot then doing both sounds like a good idea.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TITANKISSER69 posted:

but we're trying not to pig out

Might be the wrong thread for that lol

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How long a cook time @225 are y'all thinking for that wee brisket? Since that short ribs recipe also says 225, I can do them together - just not sure if they should start together. Having them finish together would be ideal. We'd be happy with a "Steak style" finish at 150 in the short ribs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It needs to spend long enough at temp to render fat and break down connective tissue. You’re gonna have a hard time doing that without over cooking that little guy.

I think it’d be best as corned beef or something braised.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A wet marinade would do wonders to help it along. Something acidic, maybe a North Carolina vinegar sauce?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Built a proper home for my kamado.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chemmy posted:

It needs to spend long enough at temp to render fat and break down connective tissue. You’re gonna have a hard time doing that without over cooking that little guy.

I think it’d be best as corned beef or something braised.

It came from Omaha Steaks, so I checked their website:

quote:

Preheat oven to 325°F. Place beef brisket in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and pour cooking liquid (stock or other flavorful liquid) over the meat to come ½-way to ¾-way to the top of the brisket. Cover the pan with foil. Bake in a 325°F oven for 2 to 2-½ hours or until tender, turning once halfway through cooking time.

Probably will play it safe and go that route.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wandler20 posted:

That looks really excellent and I'm super jealous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wandler20 posted:

That’s be an excellent black widow palace here in CA. Looks great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wandler20 posted:

looks great but imo you're gonna have a fire risk with the KJ sitting on stone and stone on wood. maybe a bigger gap around the circular edge too.

an air gap is far more effective at heat mitigation

there's been a lot of table/house fires over the years on BGE tables and almost all of them had a configuration like yours.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I goofed and forgot to throw any hardwood on the kamado before I put my beef ribs on. A few hours later and they're the saddest looking ribs I've seen. Luckily they were just :10bux: and it's a learning experience, but drat I was getting excited for a little snack for today's get-together.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Spiggy posted:

I goofed and forgot to throw any hardwood on the kamado before I put my beef ribs on. A few hours later and they're the saddest looking ribs I've seen. Luckily they were just :10bux: and it's a learning experience, but drat I was getting excited for a little snack for today's get-together.

Get some BBQ sauce, glaze 'em up and give them another 20 minutes on the grill with some wood. They'll look a lot better and a little smokiness will stick to the sauce.

If you can't get out of the house to go get some, at the very least, mix up like 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup ketchup, and a shitload of black pepper and toss 'em in the oven at 350 for like 20 minutes to get some color.

They won't be as good as if done properly, but they'll still be tasty and won't go to waste.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s be an excellent black widow palace here in CA. Looks great.

The rats here would eat them after moving in, so that’s fine.

I just got rid of my deluxe rat condo gas grill and got a Weber Summit Charcoal.
Holds temp really well and like 99% less places for rats to live.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've lost more BBQs to raccoons than anything else. They get into the cabinet and get their grubby little paws into the guts of the bbq looking for the drip pan and tear poo poo up. They also steal or chew up any BBQ instruments that I leave outside after dusk. So many BBQ brushes lost. I hate raccoons and re-home them with extreme prejudice.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 3, 2020

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Any recommendations for a wood offset smoker? I spent a few hours watching some nerd in Texas smoke meat in these huge loving things and I wanna teach myself how to do that with wood, scaled down in size obviously.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know a ton about the brands, but I do know that you want to go for a reverse flow smoker if you can afford one, no hot side/cold side, which is the largest complaint about offset smokers.

Edit: Oklahoma Joe's seems to be the household name in cross plane stuff. Seems reasonably priced as well.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 6, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Do not purchase a char-griller offset

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ranter posted:

Any recommendations for a wood offset smoker? I spent a few hours watching some nerd in Texas smoke meat in these huge loving things and I wanna teach myself how to do that with wood, scaled down in size obviously.

How much do you want to spend? (Also if you aren’t already a smoking nerd starting with wood is probably not a good idea. Start with charcoal. And unless you’re looking to blow 1k off the bat, start with a vertical water smoker or a drum smoker.)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My buddy bought a cabin in the foothills outside the city where I live in an apartment, so we'd split it $500 each for something excellent that will last decades is totally doable. Can we get one that does both charcoal then can be 100% wood when we're ready?

So not this one? https://www.oklahomajoes.com/longhorn-reverse-flow-offset-smoker

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ranter posted:

My buddy bought a cabin in the foothills outside the city where I live in an apartment, so we'd split it $500 each for something excellent that will last decades is totally doable. Can we get one that does both charcoal then can be 100% wood when we're ready?

So not this one? https://www.oklahomajoes.com/longhorn-reverse-flow-offset-smoker
I have no personal experience with offset smokers but Meathead cautions against anything cheap in his buying guide.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ranter posted:

used big green eggs (or any ceramic cooker) are the best option in that price range

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 6, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ranter posted:

Why are you so excited about using wood? Get a decent unit that utilizes lump charcoal and wood chunks for the smoke. Unless you are opening up a large BBQ restaurant down south and have a huge and non changing supply of quality wood, what is the attraction?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Wood gives more bark but is easier to make bitter.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I suggested a cross plane smoker specifically to stay within the requirements. A $1000 budget is pretty large for residential smoking. A ceramic grill will be the best choice. Pure wood smoking isn't all that it's cut out to be. The best smoked stuff I've ever had was pellet fueled. It's more about the operator than the grill.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ranter posted:

If you don’t want the maintenance of a ceramic cooker, check out the Weber Smokey mountain or Summit Charcoal. I now have both, and I really, really like the Summit (find a deal on a floor model or used one).

Agree that skill and practice is more important than equipment. I used an original Smokey mountain and old school BBQ Guru for 15+ years and turned out some good stuff. I was thinking about a fancy reverse flow or gravity cabinet smoker and instead went with the Summit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Wood gives more bark but is easier to make bitter.

Can wood hold the low temps for a long cook like lump charcoal can?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Wood usually lasts longer because it's much bigger pieces. If you have a lovely offset like mine it will flare up more than charcoal.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Wood usually lasts longer because it's much bigger pieces. If you have a lovely offset like mine it will flare up more than charcoal.

I would imagine that charcoal would have a more consistent burn temp. By the by, the Fogo lump I get are mostly huge wood-sized chunks. So much so that I often break them up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you don’t want the maintenance of a ceramic cooker
wat

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

To be honest I would not trade my Broil King Keg, double walled steel smoker with a ceramic that is not as insulated and is fragile as a literal egg.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Baskets that need to be broken in and then some kind of lifespan of felt that lives outdoors. Metal bands around the lid that need adjusting if you don’t want to top half to fall off. Fire boxes that crack after a time (some brands/models have smaller sections that are easier to replace). And a certain amount of fragility. Tip it over and you are nearly certainly hosed. Bump into it the wrong way with the wrong object and crack or chip it. Some people may also care about the standard crazing that happens as well, if you don’t know what to expect.

Sure, some people have their ceramic cookers for years and never think about that stuff. But the list of stuff you can and should be prepared for is non-zero.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Baskets that need to be broken in and then some kind of lifespan of felt that lives outdoors. Metal bands around the lid that need adjusting if you don’t want to top half to fall off. Fire boxes that crack after a time (some brands/models have smaller sections that are easier to replace). And a certain amount of fragility. Tip it over and you are nearly certainly hosed. Bump into it the wrong way with the wrong object and crack or chip it. Some people may also care about the standard crazing that happens as well, if you don’t know what to expect.

Sure, some people have their ceramic cookers for years and never think about that stuff. But the list of stuff you can and should be prepared for is non-zero.

Comparable to seasoning, mold, rust and raccoon invasion of metal grills I imagine. Tipping it being game over is a fair one though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of mold, I just power wash that poo poo out of my WSM, am I ruining my seasoning? And no I'm not suggesting the mold is part of the seasoning.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Probably, but I spray-9 that poo poo and then power wash it. Since I started inverting my middle section of the WSM I've never had mold (except for that one time I forgot the water pan.. that poo poo was nasty.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Am I the only one who cleans my smoker by allowing it to get up to incredible-aint-it temp?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I get cleaning the grates and the drip pan on my MES, but what about the rest of it? I have a glass window so some people do it, but is that even worth it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It will be clean enough to see through for about 2 hours into your next smoke. So no, I don’t bother.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Speaking of mold, I just power wash that poo poo out of my WSM, am I ruining my seasoning? And no I'm not suggesting the mold is part of the seasoning.

Canuckistan posted:

Probably, but I spray-9 that poo poo and then power wash it. Since I started inverting my middle section of the WSM I've never had mold (except for that one time I forgot the water pan.. that poo poo was nasty.

I’ve had mold once in like 15+ years with my WSM. Basically rode it hard and thanksgiving and put it away wet (totally uncleaned and water pan full of water and drippings). It went straight into the garage for like 6 months.

Never again will I have 30 people for thanksgiving at my house in the middle of a two week vacation where nobody is staying at my house.

There is stuff to deal with for any sort of grill. I suppose I chose the devil I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I find that as long as the wife is out of the house the racks fit in the dishwasher on a pot wash.