Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks! that was the one i was specifically looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i have a new theory: in the ireneverse, joseph introduces jotaro to some nice english lady and it's the timeline that leads to kiniro mosaic. irene is holly's granddaughter by way of kakyoin, which is why she likes that pink guy.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TRIVIA: There's nothing in Jojo that contradicts it being in the same universe as the Herbie movies. [1] According to Araki in an interview from V-Jump, "I like car"[2] so this is inferred to be the case.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Fiend Computer posted:

hey does anyone have the comparisons of the old part 5 translations to the new ones handy? need to show them to a friend.

In addition to the one that's already been posted, I also made these a while back.

Here you can see how Mista's lines turn into complete gibberish in the bad translation.

And more of the same.

Note: the word kakugo (determination, resolve) is used about two dozen times during the White Album fight. The bad translations cycle through translating it as "conscious," "consciousness," and "conscience," which are three different words that stand for two different concepts, neither of which are anywhere near the actual meaning of kakugo.

In the bad translation, the metal pole that Ghiaccio is impaled upon somehow turns into a "tree." My guess is that they saw the left half of 柱 (meaning:pole) has the tree radical and just decided to call it a day. Regardless of the reason, it makes no sense at all. Also, ignore the typo on the page.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 26, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daxing Dan, when you guys get to Squalo and Tizziano please post a comparison of Narancia's Volare Via because it is the ultimate evidence of them making poo poo up.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I am going to replace Volare Via with the grammatically correct "vola via."

Ed: The ultimate evidence of the old part 5 translators making poo poo up is actually any given page from Jojo Project or JJCA's translation side by side with the bad translation's version.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 26, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd like to say that i genuinely do appreciate all the translation work on part 5, because having a coherent and easier to read version has really made me like vento aureo a lot more from at least a character perspective. it still has a lot of weird things going on and the ending sequence isn't super amazing, but it's a lot easier to overlook stuff like that when the actual dialogue and other basic poo poo is functional.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I appreciate you too, Johnny.

PS: I appreciate Begemot too.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 26, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah it's crazy how much the new translations help. I didn't get the dynamics in the Pesci and Prosciutto fight at all in the original, but now it's one of my favorites in part 5. Can't wait for them to get to Secco and Cioccolatta.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Daxing Dan posted:

I appreciate you too, Johnny.

PS: I appreciate Begemot too.

if only everyone thought the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Can someone post the one where Mista is threatening to torture and murder [part 5 enemy] and in the first translation he just says something like "if u dont tell us youll regret it"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Pair-iss thing is still super wrong by the way

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is a good post and it's really funny to me to read exactly how badly the old translation goofed it. That's rude I'm sorry, but the "kakugo" thing is just amazing. I really enjoy and appreciate all the work that goes into Part 5 so thank y'all!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Do you mean the translation, or saying "Pair-iss?"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saying Pair-iss

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dr54mIy34U

is koichi going to make it to the toilets in time?!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I wonder if echoes would work as a tamagotchi stand

Why does the iPad spellcheck recognize tamagotchi ....

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Jojo Eyes of Heaven demo optimist report

It's pretty okay, the controls are a lot more fluid then you would think looking at it. Story mode looks really cool.My only downside is the camera lock on system is a mess. I also feel that every charecter will mostly play the same with some exceptions like N'dol.

I will pick it up at launch

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Playing as N'Doul in the Japanese Demo was an exercise in torture. It was plain ugly to experience.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I imported Eyes of Heaven and enjoyed it. My main issue was the lack of local multiplayer - I thought the core gameplay wasn’t anything to really write home about, but was fun and had some neat aspects to it.

There’s my wrong opinion I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I picked Joseph and there was like 400 years of recovery on every attack he did and my thought was "Why does this feel so lovely?"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Have you considered your stand power causes everything you touch turns to poo poo?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is the power of my Stand,  「DAIKATANA」

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Moltrey posted:

This is a good post and it's really funny to me to read exactly how badly the old translation goofed it. That's rude I'm sorry, but the "kakugo" thing is just amazing. I really enjoy and appreciate all the work that goes into Part 5 so thank y'all!

You don't need to feel sorry. The bad translation is bad, and mockery is exactly what it deserves. Really, you can find errors like these on every single page. Also, I appreciate you too, Moltrey.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have no idea how you read Paris, but I can assure you that it is in fact you who is super wrong.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I finally know how to explain King Crimson

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What's the most Jojo method of using a weak power to devastating effect, my dad mentioned he heard how OP stands can be, and I was trying to explain the typical example of a super specific ability being applied in a powerful way

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Raserys posted:

What's the most Jojo method of using a weak power to devastating effect, my dad mentioned he heard how OP stands can be, and I was trying to explain the typical example of a super specific ability being applied in a powerful way

really the best example of this is anything that sticky fingers does.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raserys posted:

I always like either "telekinesis for your fingernails only" or "the power to literally read you like a book. Including tearing out pages or writing in the margins". Those really showcase the creativity they bring to the table.

Jolyne turning herself into a Möbius strip is good, too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raserys posted:

Using the ability to turn yourself into string to become a mobius strip and avoid having gravity reversed on you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Raserys posted:

Complete control over someone's body. ...if you can get them to get stabbed on both their hands and feet, while they stand exactly under you.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Raserys posted:

Sticky Fingers is a favorite example of mine. A dude can just weaponize zippers and he's the coolest character.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raserys posted:

Lemme tell you about the power to make you incredibly soft.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

oh yeah how about "my super power is i have a fishing pool and i'm fighting a man who make zippers" being the best fight in the series.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Raserys posted:

Sex Pistols is just 6 tiny people that have good reflexes. Mista uses them to kill like half the stand users in part 5.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The President of the United States is ultimately defeated by the power of mathematics.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Sigh, forget it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Funky Valentine posted:

The President of the United States is ultimately defeated by the power of mathematics.

Specifically the power behind widescreen, good ol' 16:9

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Raserys posted:

Incredibly lethal powers in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure include:
-Creating zippers on things
-Having a fishing rod
-Forcing someone to tell lies
-Unravelling your own body
-Creating duplicates of things you touch
-Feng Shui
-Eleven men who have the power to teleport into each other's backs
-Rewinding time for exactly 6 seconds, but only if you can touch your wristwatch

alcharagia posted:

i have a new theory: in the ireneverse, joseph introduces jotaro to some nice english lady and it's the timeline that leads to kiniro mosaic. irene is holly's granddaughter by way of kakyoin, which is why she likes that pink guy.

It's time for me to post this

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Raising the temperature in the room to very mundane levels of warm

Take the tissue Josuke

Edit: A cranky old man stuck in a polaroid which is a stand power somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Making independently moving balloon animals out of things that are definitely not balloons can be a fairly dangerous power as well