Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The current leadership at Xbox doesn't particularly care where the money and/or the player numbers come from as long as they get it, hence their embracing of non-MS digital stores and consoles. However, they can't influence or change anything in the Activision empire until the acquisition deal is officially, legally closed so the current Steam push likely has less to do with that and more to do with CoD not selling as much on the Battle.net client and the Blizzard titles suffering from a sharp drop in player numbers for a litany of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Kins posted:

However, they can't influence or change anything in the Activision empire until the acquisition deal is officially, legally closed so the current Steam push likely has less to do with that and more to do with CoD not selling as much on the Battle.net client and the Blizzard titles suffering from a sharp drop in player numbers for a litany of reasons.

This is true, but by all accounts Activision are pulling just as hard for this acquisition as Microsoft are, and inevitably the top brass will be talking shop privately. Microsoft can't wade in and officially meddle with Activision or force them to do anything until the deal closes, but that doesn't mean Activision can't choose to make moves that happen to align with Microsoft's objectives. Particularly at a time when there's hearts, minds and regulators to be won over to close a deal both those companies want to happen..

A couple of months ago the idea that I'd be playing THPS 1+2 on my Steam Deck with a native Steam version and have Diablo 4 on my wishlist would have seemed ludicrous, and probably be shouted down as pie in the sky on forums like this, yet that's both happened within the space of a week. I just don't think it's a coincidence these stars are aligning more regularly the closer we get to the deal closure.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The Kins posted:

The current leadership at Xbox doesn't particularly care where the money and/or the player numbers come from as long as they get it, hence their embracing of non-MS digital stores and consoles. However, they can't influence or change anything in the Activision empire until the acquisition deal is officially, legally closed so the current Steam push likely has less to do with that and more to do with CoD not selling as much on the Battle.net client and the Blizzard titles suffering from a sharp drop in player numbers for a litany of reasons.

Yeah, and it doesn't hurt that the pricing for old CoD games is absolutely ludicrous. Even when they go on sale, something like Blops 2 will be like $40.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah, and it doesn't hurt that the pricing for old CoD games is absolutely ludicrous. Even when they go on sale, something like Blops 2 will be like $40.
Black Ops 1, from 2010, is still $43.99 CAD on Steam. I bought the PS3 version of that for like $3.99 back in 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Once upon a time the earlier CoDs were available for like, :20bux: each. But no lower than that, it didn't apply to anything newer, and eventually they just sort of stopped putting them on reasonable discount at all.

Or I think for like MW2 (original) they stopped bothering with the base game at all after a point but instead wanted you to pay $100 ($50 on discount!!!) for the complete bundle of all of the DLC, most of which was terrible looking gun skins.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
And who could forget this bargain? https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6465/Call_of_Duty_Franchise_Collection/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

worth every penny

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Before clicking that I thought "this is going to be stupid expensive, like $500 or something"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
But you save $107 by buying the bundle! That's real savings!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Microsoft kind of seems like they're nowhere near as tight-fisted as Activision when it comes to older games. I mostly want to believe that so we can get a Metal Arms Steam release.

See you say that but Rare Replay is still confined to the Xbox

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have a xbone just for backwards compatibility and rare replay. I don't own an actual xbone game besides RR.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr E posted:

I have a xbone just for backwards compatibility and rare replay. I don't own an actual xbone game besides RR.

timesplitters 2 and future perfect are on xbox, you should get them

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Convex posted:

timesplitters 2 and future perfect are on xbox, you should get them

Yep those are two of the games I play on it pretty frequently, was also happy to get Otogi 1 & 2 on BC out of nowhere. For a while it was mostly a Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 machine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Come on Tim, I was defending you the other day, don't say stupid poo poo like
"He stated that the company will continue to develop and support the storefront, saying it is the "cure to the disease" supposedly infecting the video game industry."
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/epic-games-to-update-unreal-engine-pricing-for-devs-outside-game-industry

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 6, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Come on Tim, I was defending you the other say, don't say stupid poo poo like
"He stated that the company will continue to develop and support the storefront, saying it is the "cure to the disease" supposedly infecting the video game industry."
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/epic-games-to-update-unreal-engine-pricing-for-devs-outside-game-industry

Tim's gonna deploy a final solution to the gaming disease and woke mind virus

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Steamspy guy, who I thought they hired to run the EGS, just left/was fired because of Epic's plans to go all in on metaverse poo poo, too.
https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-...ersion-of-epic/

In short, doubt.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Come on Tim, I was defending you the other say, don't say stupid poo poo like

At this point waiting to hear
“By per-seat we meant per theatre-seat, not per-office seat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tim's gonna deploy a final solution to the gaming disease and woke mind virus

Thank you Tim

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my dude are you loving for real right now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's a demo to see if it fits on your computer

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

Be grateful, the game itself is 212 GB

I have no idea if that's true

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Also the Steam page lists 16GB of RAM as the minimum/recommended amount.

This is like the ED-209 of video games.

"Who cares if it works or not!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

site posted:

Is the dick shooting as elaborate as in Our Robocop Remake?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
heads up, the demo has very bad performance. looks like it will be another good game tho. it's weird seeing an ultra-faithful robocop game show up 36 years after the movie released

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Bishop posted:

Considering this was made by the Terminator: Resistance devs I think that explains a lot (since that game was also a system hog)

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
dumb opinion: more devs should release demos, and if releasing 99.9% of the assets and a couple levels accomplishes that more easily than optimizing file size and making a more bespoke demo, we should be on board with it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
unless you're paying for your bandwidth by the megabyte, who cares?

If you are paying by the megabyte, my goondolances.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Doctor Bishop posted:

A gaming PC or really any production PC ought to have at least 16GB. 32GB of DDR4 is under $100 at this point.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

site posted:

I'm gonna guess this is cause it's on UE5, the amount of detail is pretty insane.
Game looks really good, but to me it felt kinda like a rail shooter, moving from room to room while guys pop around corners and fire blindly. I never played Terminator Resistance so idk what kinda quality to expect from that studio

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

HolyKrap posted:

I'm gonna guess this is cause it's on UE5, the amount of detail is pretty insane.
Game looks really good, but to me it felt kinda like a rail shooter. I never played Terminator Resistance so idk what kinda quality to expect from that studio

I think that's the same dev as that totally deranged Rambo First Blood game, so rail shooters are kind of their thing

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Volte posted:

A gaming PC or really any production PC ought to have at least 16GB. 32GB of DDR4 is under $100 at this point.

8GB really does pinch at this point, especially because pre-buffering for expected use is a big part of why modern computing feels fast and responsive. I’d never buy less than 16GB, and my desktops run 32GB for longevity’s sake. Barring some development in godforsaken JavaScript framework bloat I can imagine that much being enough for the next decade unless you’re working with 8K video or huge multimedia, or running half a dozen VMs on a development machine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A.o.D. posted:

unless you're paying for your bandwidth by the megabyte, who cares?

If you are paying by the megabyte, my goondolances.

Yeah I'm stuck throttled at 1MB down for now cuz I hit my cap so a 45gb demo isn't great

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A gaming PC should have at least as much RAM as the current console generation because that's what a lot of devs and ported games will be targeting

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Specifically, it should have as much free RAM as the current console generation, which probably means you'll want to be one tier higher on PC.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shoehead posted:

I think that's the same dev as that totally deranged Rambo First Blood game, so rail shooters are kind of their thing

Yeah you're right, Teyon made the Terminator Resistance game and the Rambo game. I'd hope--if they were taking inspiration from the design of one of those two games for Robocop--they'd lean toward Terminator (which was well-received and a pleasant surprise) and less on Rambo (which was not) but we will see.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I saw a video of the Robert cop game and it looks terrible. He’s not that nimble of a cop.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

I saw a video of the Robert cop game and it looks terrible. He’s not that nimble of a cop.

I feel like if they didn't give you the ability to at least sprint then the open-world investigation stuff would be reduced in size by about 80% and frankly letting you actually do police work beyond "shoot people in the dick" (as fun as that is) is nice.

For what it's worth I just gave the demo a spin and it seems all right. Definitely got some technical issues (shot a few criminals so hard they exited the material plane entirely for example) but the basics seem sound and it's definitely a much better FPS than the Titus one on the oXbox; not that that's a high bar to clear.

I'd say, tentatively, it's at least on par with Terminator: Resistance which was a good 7/10 game with myriad technical problems.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry_Ed posted:

(shot a few criminals so hard they exited the material plane entirely)

I mean, this is basically what happens in the movie

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I mean, this is basically what happens in the movie

Just Leon and Emil :v:

And I don't think they got sent to the backrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not interested unless they licensed the Game Boy theme.