Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

to extend the metaphor, bragging about a coup in pakistan is like bragging about scoring a touchdown against the lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Mantis42 posted:

to extend the metaphor, bragging about a coup in pakistan is like bragging about scoring a touchdown against the lions

still puts you in the professional league

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is the NFL multipolar????

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
well, there's an afc and nfc, so kinda

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
XFL

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What really gets me is this line:

quote:

Western brands like Peet’s Coffee and KFC littered the terminal, with queues of Chinese folks and international tourists alike sucking down localized versions of iced coffee and tea lattes or chomping down on chicken sandwiches that were significantly more flavorful than what I could get at home.

lmfao

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
President Xi please, my people yearn for year round hot and crispy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The KFCs here gave me food poisoning twice. You could get better chicken literally anywhere, for cheaper.

Peet's coffee is pretty good. Not a coffee snob, so what do I know, but I'd rank it over Starbucks. Of course there are little coffee shops like every 50 meters.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh I've had KFC twice since going back to Australia and both times I peed out of my rear end in a top hat for 12 hours. Miss Popeyes but the cafes every 50m make up for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny how Starbucks failed quickly in Australia since it couldn't compete in the slightest with the local cafe culture.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny how Starbucks failed quickly in Australia since it couldn't compete in the slightest with the local cafe culture.

all western coffee tastes the same to me

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

starbucks only succeeded in the US because at the time they entered the market, the premium cup of coffee was something from Yuban brewed in a percolator.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

False. All the USA has to do is capture elites in the global south and make them keep the Chinese out

the west is too racist to capture elites in the global south as effectively as it would need to overturn the material prosperity deals with china provide

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

the west is too racist to capture elites in the global south as effectively as it would need to overturn the material prosperity deals with china provide

Obama came very close with the transpacific partnership but he didn't reckon on his successor being donald trump

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/GlennLuk/status/1788971444598153242

China can't possibly have tech industry because it doesn't have the rent-seeking scene according to the brightest ceo.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
thats high praise when coming from a CEO of a grifter corp

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2024/05/vietnams-political-turmoil-reveals-turn-towards-china-and-away-west

quote:

chathamhouse.org
Vietnam’s political turmoil reveals a turn towards China – and away from the West
6–7 minutes

In just a few weeks, the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) has shredded its reputation for boring political stability. A long-running power struggle, disguised by a wider anti-corruption campaign, has resulted in the sudden sacking of both the country’s president, Vo Van Thuong, and the chair of the National Assembly.

The outcome of this fight should cause those who still hope that Vietnam could join an ‘anti-China’ coalition to think again. Although this power struggle is not about foreign policy, it will result in a turn towards China and away from the West.

Although this power struggle is not about foreign policy, it will result in a turn towards China and away from the West.

The sackings in March and May this year follow the dismissal, early last year, of the then president and deputy prime minister. The communist party’s politburo, its paramount political leadership, has lost four top members in a year and a half. The turmoil is unprecedented.

Although CPV control remains unchallenged, the fissures within it are becoming more obvious. This is not to say that the party will split. The vanquished are being allowed to retire quietly, so long as they cede power to their rivals.

What we are seeing is a takeover. The winners of this power struggle are the hardliners: the police generals and the dogmatic Leninists. Vietnam looks set to follow China in a political inward turn. A recent instruction (Directive 24) instructs officials and party members to limit contacts with foreign organizations. There will be consequences in several areas, not least in slower economic growth.

Vietnam had appeared well-placed to benefit from the diversification of Western investment away from China. It now appears to be a much riskier bet.

The new-look Vietnamese leadership appears more focused on regime survival than further liberalization. All this at a time when Vietnam had appeared well-placed to benefit from the diversification of Western investment away from China. The country now appears to be a much riskier bet. It seems the CPV leadership is willing to sacrifice some economic growth in the interests of tighter political control.

The prospect of losing that control is what frightens CPV leaders the most. For over a decade, the hardliners have been attempting to marginalize and suppress those at the top of the party who would prioritize faster economic growth over rigid political discipline. As in China, this has been done through an anti-corruption campaign. While Vietnam does have a major problem with corruption – as some recent high-profile court cases have demonstrated – it is also true that the so-called ‘blazing furnace’ anti-corruption campaign in Vietnam has become a political weapon.

The victims have been those whom the hardliners regard as insufficiently committed to the primacy of the communist party. They may have been guilty of ‘self-evolution’, the tendency of individuals to place themselves ahead of the party, which the ideologues see as a grave threat to party legitimacy. For them, the party must always come first.

It is unlikely that any country will wish to downgrade relations with Vietnam. However, they should downgrade their expectations of what they hope to gain from the relationship.

Vietnam now has three potential future leaders: Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh, Minister of Public Security To Lam, and Truong Thi Mai. However, in the chauvinistic space of Vietnamese politics, the two men – Chinh and Lam – are likely to be the frontrunners. Both are also police generals. What these two seek most is political security and both look to China for inspiration.

Whoever wins the race to become the next general secretary of the CPV, the country will have taken a turn towards becoming a literal police state. With the security apparatus in charge of the party (rather than the other way around), the tendency towards repression and ever-greater control will be baked into the system. This will make it harder for democratic countries to work with Vietnam. The CPV leadership will find greater acceptance in Russia and China.

Filipino fishermen prepare to sail despite alleged harassment by China in the West Philippine Sea. The Philippines won a landmark arbitral case against China over territorial claims in the South China Sea. Photo by Jes Aznar/Getty Images.

While Vietnam has disagreements with China, most notably over the South China Sea, the two countries’ ruling communist parties have a shared Leninist heritage and political ties that date back a century. This is in stark contrast to popular opinion, which is generally more hostile towards China. However, the CPV and its Chinese counterpart frequently swap ideas on the best ways to manage public opinion.

It is unlikely that any country will wish to downgrade relations with Vietnam because of its hard-line turn. However, they should downgrade their expectations of what they hope to gain from the relationship. It is now clearer than ever that the Vietnamese leadership has no interest in initiating confrontation with China or being part of an ‘anti-China’ coalition. The CPV has successfully ‘played’ Western expectations on this score for some time. With the new leadership in place, the CPV’s affinity with its Chinese political counterparts will be harder to disguise.

What this will mean for the Vietnamese economy is hard to predict. It is, to a large degree, at the mercy of global developments, including the war in Ukraine and trade disputes between the US and China. However, the domestic policy environment is also an important factor. Fear of being ensnared in the anti-corruption campaign has caused officials to avoid taking decisions, delaying job-creating investments. An economic slowdown may cause popular discontent and it is not clear how the CPV will manage mass disaffection.

Dogs of the US empire are predictably labeling Vietnam as authoritarian now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What MSG does to a motherfucker

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Danann posted:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2024/05/vietnams-political-turmoil-reveals-turn-towards-china-and-away-west

drat, Apple is gonna have to find another country to manufacture its airpods

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

They may have been guilty of ‘self-evolution’, the tendency of individuals to place themselves ahead of the party,

lol this is what we’re calling embezzling 3% of the entire country’s GDP

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dads friend steve posted:

That's literally where all this girlboss poo poo leads, corruption is considered by westoids to be good and admirable and the only reason to even be in politics, and actually trying to govern a country is suspect at best

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

dads friend steve posted:

Even if zero embezzling happened... of course individuals placing themselves ahead of the party is a threat to the party's legitimacy??? Even in a bourgeois liberal democracy this should be a reason to expel or discipline members of your political party. Well, if your political party actually cared about being popular and winning votes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also politicians of foreign countries actually being punished for corruption deeply terrifies Westerners, because they're supposed to be easily controlled and bribed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

corona familiar posted:

drat, Apple is gonna have to find another country to manufacture its airpods

look we have a very coherent ideology of assuming everyone is a stonecold transactional profiteer who would sell their moms for a dollar, while also make shocked pikachu faces when nobody else wants to deal with us because we can't offer enough money

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fits my needs posted:

We know how the China story ends, and the cracks are starting to show within both their economy and society. Communism never has a happy ending, and the propaganda machine is often the strongest asset. Its no secret that China has built their tech powerhouse through less than ethical means, primarily engaging in espionage against western companies while the Chinese government turns a blind eye at best and actively supports IP theft at worst. All this aside, European and US regulators see China for what it truly is and will ensure their domestic industries (auto is just one) are protected, more so now than ever because we we're recently taught a valuable lesson about how dangerous reliance on China can be. Its a classic lesson in just because its the cheapest doesn't mean its the best.

lol

Oh no not IP theft!

Spergin Morlock posted:

they're really going to poo poo their pants when china starts putting boeing, airbus, bombardier and embraer out of business

China launched their first fully home-made civilian airlines this year. Meanwhile loving lol if you voluntarily get on a Boeing in the year 2024.

Palladium posted:

thats high praise when coming from a CEO of a grifter corp

Head grifter: "people like me don't exist in China".

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:03 on May 11, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
With the Vietnam change of leadership, I do hope that this leads to greater time off for workers and a betterment of people's causes within it.

They don't actually talk much about changing policies in that piece, what if anything is going to change for the average citizen?

Josef bugman has issued a correction as of 12:47 on May 11, 2024

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

they're really going to poo poo their pants when china starts putting boeing, airbus, bombardier and embraer out of business

Seems like Boeing is doing a pretty good job of making GBS threads up their own business lately, too busy with the passion project of murdering whistleblowers I guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Josef bugman posted:

With the Vietnam change of leadership, I do hope that this leads to greater time off for workers and a betterment of people's causes within it.

They don't actually talk much about changing policies in that piece, what if anything is going to change for the average citizen?

im guessing their primary goal is to increase economic development and growth

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

fart simpson posted:

im guessing their primary goal is to increase economic development and growth

I know that will be the larger goal, but what of the people in Vietnam itself? I'd hope that it means greater ability for them to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

Also doing some reading in between calls at work and I am so impressed by Pham Ngoc Thåo. Being a sleeper agent for almost half your life is deeply impressive.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Danann posted:

blessed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Josef bugman posted:

I know that will be the larger goal, but what of the people in Vietnam itself? I'd hope that it means greater ability for them to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

Also doing some reading in between calls at work and I am so impressed by Pham Ngoc Thåo. Being a sleeper agent for almost half your life is deeply impressive.

i think it will, but its clear that you cant get away with socializing poverty

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Spergin Morlock posted:

They just put this on a plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o8MDaqM0RU

Give it a little time, electric aviation is gonna be a disrupting industry if this follows.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
drat, that's crazy.

about a decade ago i was working on a prototype drone-esque aircraft and the energy density problem was always an issue on the scale model.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
A smart country would just hand China all the tech IPs it has and let them work it out

edit: I guess we basically did since they never hid the part of the contracts that say they get to look at the tech and copy it for their own purposes

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Don't worry people, Biden to the rescue!

US set to impose 100% tariff on Chinese electric vehicle imports
https://archive.is/4CYcB#selection-1571.0-1571.64

The Biden administration plans to raise tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles imports from 25 per cent to 100 per cent, as it intensifies efforts ahead of the US election to protect American industry.

The administration is expected to announce the move, and other tariffs on clean energy imports, on Tuesday, according to people familiar with the situation.

The sharp rise in the levies comes amid mounting concern that China could flood the US market with cheap EVs, threatening the American car industry. President Joe Biden has taken several actions in recent months to convince union members in swing states that he will protect jobs.

The Biden administration has for three years been reviewing the tariffs that then president Donald Trump put on imports from China as part of the trade war he launched in 2018. The new EV tariffs will be announced alongside the conclusion of the review, led by the US Trade Representative.

(...)

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I like how when people suggest an American auto maker produce small or normal size cars, the answer is always Americans loving hate those and only want trucks, sorry. But if a Chinese company looks like it might try to sell some here, it's an existential threat to domestic industry that must be stopped at all costs. You'd think they'd just sit back and chuckle as the foolish Chinese waste their resources trying to sell cars that nobody here wants

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Having said that, the best car is a train.

Seems like China is on that too tho...

https://twitter.com/tphuang/status/1789271636631343138

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know how there used to be gas powered scooters in the 90s and it was loud as gently caress. And then all got replaced by electric powered once the Lithium battery became a thing. And then electric became the only form of power in smaller personally transportation in everything below motorcycle.

This is going to happen to planes too. Now electric for hobbyists and light drones only, but it will work its way into bigger and bigger drones and eventually get into small airplanes.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Don't worry people, Biden to the rescue!

US set to impose 100% tariff on Chinese electric vehicle imports
https://archive.is/4CYcB#selection-1571.0-1571.64

The Biden administration plans to raise tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles imports from 25 per cent to 100 per cent, as it intensifies efforts ahead of the US election to protect American industry.

The administration is expected to announce the move, and other tariffs on clean energy imports, on Tuesday, according to people familiar with the situation.

The sharp rise in the levies comes amid mounting concern that China could flood the US market with cheap EVs, threatening the American car industry. President Joe Biden has taken several actions in recent months to convince union members in swing states that he will protect jobs.

The Biden administration has for three years been reviewing the tariffs that then president Donald Trump put on imports from China as part of the trade war he launched in 2018. The new EV tariffs will be announced alongside the conclusion of the review, led by the US Trade Representative.

(...)

i bet the boat guy made a post about how 100% tariffs is going to make tesla magically more productive because something on his boat terminal went up and he's seeing it happen right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

China has actual business models and not vanity projects for billionaire failchildren and America just can't stand that