Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, with the collapse of the real estate company, and the fallout, does that mean that there is going to be less Deng Xiaoping style usage of capital inside of Vietnam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You have to look at it from the north faction/southern faction dynamic POV. The Vietnam power structure is spread out to 4 top roles and they are usually equally split between the northern side and southern side. Now this real estate bank failure scandal has pushed the scale to the northern side and they took the 3 out of 4 roles.

The rest of the position changes should be viewed from the north/south lens. But I don't know how to check that for Vietnamese generals.

Was the real estate banking scandal thing primarily a product of the southern side?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

You have to look at it from the north faction/southern faction dynamic POV. The Vietnam power structure is spread out to 4 top roles and they are usually equally split between the northern side and southern side. Now this real estate bank failure scandal has pushed the scale to the northern side and they took the 3 out of 4 roles.

The rest of the position changes should be viewed from the north/south lens. But I don't know how to check that for Vietnamese generals.

are the southerners more liberal and the northerners more leftist? it sounds like the left wing of the CPV is generally friendlier to China and came out on top with this shuffle

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is there somewhere with good coverage of vietnam party politics? this all sounds interesting but i'm completely clueless lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Eminent DNS posted:

Was the real estate banking scandal thing primarily a product of the southern side?

Based on the fallout, looks like it. The Northern side is traditionally more from the military/security branches. I would like to know more but honestly there is not a lot of information in Eng.

Also Vietnam signed a partial HSR deal memorandum with China recently, so you can take it as a sign that the northern faction has won the power struggle in the pro-China/pro-US debate. The population is still pretty anti-China mind you, but pay attention to new infrastructure or power plant deals in the future.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

are the southerners more liberal and the northerners more leftist? it sounds like the left wing of the CPV is generally friendlier to China and came out on top with this shuffle

That's what I learn from the Chinese commentators. But even if you don't take their words, the northern economic still has a lot more connection to the Chinese manufacturing than the southern side, which lean more on tourism.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:46 on May 13, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

That's what I learn from the Chinese commentators. But even if you don't take their words, the northern economic still has a lot more connection to the Chinese manufacturing than the southern side, which lean more on tourism.

the communist (manufacturing) and liberal (low end service jobs) development cycle continues

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The north should liberate the south (again)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
actually, do people know how integration between north and south vietnam and the various factions went? interested from a lens of successfully preventing counter revolution.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1790173117782073424?t=fmG8HQemgs1kY8OvSkp43Q&s=19

This is going to be a mess

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

us state dept pushing out another front because why the gently caress not

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is it appropriate for a dialectical materialist to set a funerary altar venerating an ancestor

there was a line in the sympathizer on max saying they cant or at least shouldnt but i have no idea whether thats based on anything in the actual philosophy or just the usual communists hate religion rhetoric

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

is it appropriate for a dialectical materialist to set a funerary altar venerating an ancestor

there was a line in the sympathizer on max saying they cant or at least shouldnt but i have no idea whether thats based on anything in the actual philosophy or just the usual communists hate religion rhetoric

It depends on whether you think ancestor worship is a religion.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
if the ancestor was working-class you set up the altar. if the ancestor was not working-class you exhume their body and drag them through the street with children kicking and throwing rocks at them while the local seniors scream obscenities and accusations at their decaying/-ed head in preparation for the most brutal cadaver synod, or "struggle session", your community can muster

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

It depends on whether you think ancestor worship is a religion.

in the context im discussing im leaning "no" because its an altar for his mom and it seems more like hes just mourning her than worshipping her but im not really sure how were defining religion here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Some Guy TT posted:

my position as a dialectical materialist is: who cares

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

in the context im discussing im leaning "no" because its an altar for his mom and it seems more like hes just mourning her than worshipping her but im not really sure how were defining religion here

Oh direct relative doesn't count obviously.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont think it matters at all

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Fellas, is mourning your mother counterrevolutionary?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to go be going on holiday to Taipei in about a month and I'd like to take suggestions on places to go

right now the only places I'm really dead set on going to are the Ximending night market and the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall and the surrounding area.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to go be going on holiday to Taipei in about a month and I'd like to take suggestions on places to go

right now the only places I'm really dead set on going to are the Ximending night market and the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall and the surrounding area.

the local cleaning lady at the hotel told me avoid the old city area and focus on new taipei where things are much cheaper

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Burning monopoly money for my mom to use in the afterlife, but not so much that she can become bourgeoisie.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

the beitou hot springs are cool and you can take the metro there, the national palace museum is also a must do. taipei is the best place on earth to try regional chinese cuisine so don't limit yourself to the street markets

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ikanreed posted:

Burning monopoly money for my mom to use in the afterlife, but not so much that she can become bourgeoisie.

I've always had a soft spot for the ways of honouring the dead that also happen to be arts and crafts projects.

And reminded of that webcomic where a sentient robot burns an effigy of himself in the name of his deceased former owner, so that he may serve him in the afterlife. Because y'see, if robots don't have souls, then it's a loophole through which they may still enter the afterlife anyway.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the aussies jailed the guy who outed a bunch of war crimes

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-69006714

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
chaing kai shrek.

https://twitter.com/the_hindu/status/1790339490743005462

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

hehe

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
don't hit back, don't hit back!

https://x.com/business/status/1790038561183461381

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you can really tell we used to be 1 country

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty much sums up the entirety of the US thought process. Only we are allowed to escalate.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

makes sense

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I used to think the chip bans could be strategically justifiable if you squinted your eyes and believed that the Biden administration just really bought into the AI hype but at point it's really hard to understand this is anything but naked racism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there somewhere with good coverage of vietnam party politics? this all sounds interesting but i'm completely clueless lol

this is kind of an aside, but knowing how bad coverage of turkey politics is in English makes me very pessimistic about getting decent coverage of anywhere you don't know the language. we will never be able to know about everywhere -__-

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

tractor fanatic posted:

I used to think the chip bans could be strategically justifiable if you squinted your eyes and believed that the Biden administration just really bought into the AI hype but at point it's really hard to understand this is anything but naked racism

It's also possible to understand as absolute terror that communism will win

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ikanreed posted:

It's also possible to understand as absolute terror that communism will win

the west will 100% pull down the temple on top of everyone's heads rather than see a world where communism wins

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

this is kind of an aside, but knowing how bad coverage of turkey politics is in English makes me very pessimistic about getting decent coverage of anywhere you don't know the language. we will never be able to know about everywhere -__-

i feel that too, which is odd given the internet exists and we should theoretically be able to get something from somewhere thats trustable. best you can do is the occasional long read from tricontinental or monthly review from some guy from the country

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
enough! the asia thread needs funding and manpower for our own intelligence service

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

enough! the asia thread needs funding and manpower for our own intelligence service

We already have Philippine and South Korean and Indian branches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

bedpan posted:

the west will 100% pull down the temple on top of everyone's heads rather than see a world where communism wins

too late