Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Yessir, plays reasonably well for the price too.

It's about to be turned into an art project, I'll post the new pictures once it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I don't have it yet, since it's being mailed to my cousin's house Stateside, and I'm still stuck in Afghanistan, but here's a stock photo of my new purchase:

Geuns hybrid bandoneon, C-system chromatic fingering.

A bandoneon is basically a big square concertina, originally made in Germany in the mid-1800s for backing up hymns in churches too small/poor to have an organ. But then they ended up in the hands of Italian and German migrants and sailors who wound up down in Argentina. Thus the bandoneon drifted into the brothels of Buenos Aires, where there was a need for dark-n-sexy mood music, and thus was tango born.

This is a bit of an odd evolution of the bandoneon, which usually has the buttons on the flat sides, and has different notes on the push and pull, kind of like a harmonica with bellows. This variant moves the buttons to the corner so the fingers can slide up and down the scale easier, and has the same note on the push and pull, making all note combinations possible, whereas the in-out systems are easier to make conventional chords on, but harder to get all the weird jazzy chords on.

Here's the fingering system, which appears to be a reasonably logical system of moving up half-step by half-step diagonally and then over, so the relationships between given note are relatively consistent.

Here's a bandoneon being used for its original religious/classical intended purpose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k63wzFX8fAQ&feature=related (I think this is a chromatic/unisonoric bandoneon too, since he doesn't need to change bellows direction but just exhausts his air each way)

Here's a bisonoric bandoneon, note how she was to change bellows direction on chord changes, and/or hit the air button to free up bellow space to keep pulling outwards. A lot of tango is played on the pull because of the keys/modes they play in. Also notice how she, like a lot of bandeon players, uses her legs to open and close the bellows rather than yank with the hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XoTsXkIrk8&feature=related

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Juaguocio posted:

Ooh, squelchy! Are you using that for bass? I've been looking into envelope filters and that one seems to offer a good balance between tweakability and ease of use.

The 3Leaf is a good filter, but its more on the subtle side than other stuff that's out there. If you do pick it up, don't expect it to get as wet a sound as the MXR, EHX Enigma, or anything like that.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things

widefault posted:

There's nothing wrong with a Danelectro Hornet. I assume the reissue?

The biggest thing wrong with most Dano guitars is that goddamn rosewood slab bridge. Intonation is impossible and the metal base eventually bows under pressure from the strings. I went through 2 of the U2 bridges and 1 DC-3 bridge (same, but with individual saddles) before installing a real bridge so I could actually tune it up for more than just open chords.

Other than that they look kinda neat. I like that shape and dig the satin finish.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
It's been a while since I posted asking recommendations for a keyboard amp, but I've been looking off and on, and I think I stumbled onto a decent one. A few of you had recommended the Peavey KB series, and I've got a local guy selling a KB/A 100 on Craigslist.

I've got a few friends that know their poo poo better than I do to take with me, but I'm wondering what seems like a reasonable price for it. There's a model on ebay that the seller wants ~$300 for after shipping. The guy on CL wants $200, but I'm wondering if I can talk him down (or if $200 is a great deal on this model).

If any of you have suggestions, either for this, or a good used music equipment site that I can check prices against, I'd be appreciative. Pics will be forthcoming, assuming I pick it up.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
New Guitar Day is the best day.

Click here for the full 1056x1279 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's even better when the new guitar is half price because it's last year's model.
Pity about the colour... but hey, it's left-handed, of course it's black.

edit: drat I love Ibanez necks.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 22, 2010

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Chalupa Joe posted:

It's even better when the new guitar is half price because it's last year's model.
Pity about the colour... but hey, it's left-handed, of course it's black.

edit: drat I love Ibanez necks.

What, all lefties go with black? Are you trying to say something about lefties and black?
Sadly, I embody that... love me some matte black lefty guitars and that's a gorgeous Ibanez.

No new guitars for me, but I got a present for my SG to play with and it sounds awesome!
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory.
Pedal/amp/cab modeling pedal. Love. It.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

meatcookie posted:

What, all lefties go with black? Are you trying to say something about lefties and black?
No, it's that guitar companies never provide very much variety in left handed guitars because they don't sell very many lefty guitars. So usually if a certain model is available in left handed, they'll have the righty version in ten colours and the lefty version in black or red.

I always feel bad for lefties when I go to guitar stores, the options are real limited.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Being a hardcore droogie I'm trying to track down as many of Dave's old guitars as I can, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks..

The same guys also selling the Axxion, so if I can get both I'll just have to get an old Jackson, dont think I'll bother to go wayyy back and get the Bich, but who knows.

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Pedalboard is almost complete, just need a an intense and amazing digital delay. If the budget calls for it, a Empress Super Delay, if not then I'll most likely go with a Time Machine.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Ozymandius - how do you like your AF2 ? Ever tried it w/a bass?

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Schatten posted:

Ozymandius - how do you like your AF2 ? Ever tried it w/a bass?

No, I haven't tried it with a bass, however I have to say it is the move versatile and enjoyable flanger I've used. I can get chorus sounds, tremolo esk sounds, an amazing talk boxy flange, metallic in a submarine flange, the list can go on. Its very nifty at the little effects it can produce, and nothing is as awesome as the take off switch.

Surprisingly, it has ALOT more applications than you would think.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

codo27 posted:

Being a hardcore droogie I'm trying to track down as many of Dave's old guitars as I can, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks..

The same guys also selling the Axxion, so if I can get both I'll just have to get an old Jackson, dont think I'll bother to go wayyy back and get the Bich, but who knows.

Funny, that looks almost exactly like the Agile Hornet.

http://www.rondomusic.com/hornet.html

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
So, I've been playing this beautiful piece of work for a while. It has some pretty sweet features, such as rusted pickups, a volume knob that only works at full, and a tone knob that does absolutely nothing.

Today I got a new package from FedEx!

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Agile al3100. Sounds amazing and looks awesome. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The pick guard is a little but scuffed up, but I honestly don't care about that at all. I couldn't be happier about my purchase :)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Assberging posted:

So, I've been playing this beautiful piece of work for a while. It has some pretty sweet features, such as rusted pickups, a volume knob that only works at full, and a tone knob that does absolutely nothing.

Agile al3100. Sounds amazing and looks awesome. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The pick guard is a little but scuffed up, but I honestly don't care about that at all. I couldn't be happier about my purchase :)

That's sexy as hell love the green.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

Assberging posted:

Take the pickguard off. Most Les Pauls looks better without!

I have an Agile telecaster copy which is great, but I've been planning on picking up one of the AL-3000/3100s in the near future. I kinda want the tobacco sunburst flame, but I'd rather have the MOP inlays than the abalone ones...

ViciousV
Jun 1, 2004

Picked this one up today along with the black pickguard, love it!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ViciousV posted:

The black pickguard was a fantastic idea. Well done.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ViciousV posted:

i aint long on tobacco burst strats

thanks for reminding me how good it can look on a tele

teles for life :hf:

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008
Teles are the only good guitars.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Now I can finally hear all my stuff at the same time again! :woop:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ViciousV posted:

hell yeah, burst-finish Tele with black pickguard buddy

:cool:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

My new toy, it's even more awesome than I expected. :)
Maybe I'll get the Mini KAOSSpad to accompany it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
I got a new Korg synth too :D

but i lost my micro sd card and cant show you a pic of mine

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pennywisdom posted:

Just bought a temp guitar for my trip to seattle.

What did you use to render this?

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

?

5 second exposure on my Rebel XT, no rendering.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that's a joke about how smooth and shiny it looks.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Sweet! I've heard a few people say that's their favourite synth ever :)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

This thing is a beast. 4-osc monosynth? Yes please! How about having the arpeggiator cycle through each osc per note? Yessir, this thing can do it!.

Good find - hope everything works on it.

Furry Neo
Nov 18, 2003

Whoa.

Assberging posted:

Do you happen to have any close-up shots of the finish? I've been eyeing a couple of the green ALs, but haven't had a chance to see one up close.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Been a while since I hopped into this thread to look, and as it just so happens I had a new acquisition recently:

Recently I moved to NYC, and yesterday my friend and I went out to various yard sales in Long Island. I found the guitar above for $25.

I'd been wanting a Strat-style guitar for a while anyways, and so I figured I'd get this as a "project" guitar: clean it up, replace hardware, etc., so as to learn the basics of guitar upgrading and maintenance. It appears to be an Epiphone strat copy; the serial # says it was made in Dec. 94, but there doesn't seem to be a factory code or anything associated with the first letter in the SN ("C"). So, it might just be a junky copy of a copy. :v:

I'm definitely not planning on investing tons of money into it; even if it turns out to be a piece of crap, it'll have been worth it to learn some DIY guitar basics.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Recently bought a fender hot rod deluxe. But it's just too drat loud, big, and heavy for apartment use. Cleans sound good, but it had several little issues that bugged me, so i decided to trade it out for something more appropriately sized.

I decided on the blues junior NOS. I picked it over the regular blues junior because I like the sound of the jensen speaker, and love the look of tweed amps. Right out of the box it sounds great. Beautiful lush cleans, good reverb and overdrive. Can't wait to see how it is after the speaker breaks in, and possibly a tube swap. Running an MI audio crunch box in it for the heavier tones.

Kin Corn Karn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 28, 2010

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked up a Casio SK-10 at the Salvation Army today for $2.

It needs a good cleaning, it works but the keyboard sounds cut in and out, the rhythm sounds are loud and clear always. I took it apart and gave it a once over and it helped some, I don't have any contact cleaner with me right now. I think if I can get all the contacts cleaned up really good it will work perfectly.
Then I want to add a output jack so I can run it through an amp.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sampling is awesome. i just figured out yesterday that i could use control voltage with my electra sampling delay to play a sample up and down the keyboard! it seems like the most basic thing but other than the keyboard scanner and the delay unit itself, its all analong control voltages and triggers instead of midi!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yay, I can post in this thread!

Acquired this off a friend. The effects are surprisingly great. :)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

sampling is awesome. i just figured out yesterday that i could use control voltage with my electra sampling delay to play a sample up and down the keyboard! it seems like the most basic thing but other than the keyboard scanner and the delay unit itself, its all analong control voltages and triggers instead of midi!

If you like cv + sampling, then you need to check out the ADDAC101 .WAV PLAYER:
http://andregoncalves.info/addac/?page_id=508

Fully modular Eurorack sized sample player. The video isn't the best, he could have chosen better samples and made the volume a bit higher, but you get the idea. Could be pretty cool to gently caress with, especially with the envelope follower.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
If things go my way, I may be grabbing me one of these shortly.

Gretsch Guitars G5122

Yamaha had a bitchin double cutaway. 3 p90s with the middle pickup in/out of phase. Really solid price, loved everyone I played. Went to pick one up at the local Guitar Center. Gone. Checked online. Gone. Every where.

This Gretsch is the next thing I could consider. Distinct tone and look, and while it doesn't sound as nice as the Yamaha with the p90s, I think with some tweaking it could. Only problem I'm aware of is that they use the metric system for all of their hardware, but that's just a minor headache if anything. If I get this, I will definitely consider some TV Jones pups.

Anyone have one?

EDIT

There's a Hofner CT nearby that I can pick up for 300$, but again, I'd like to avoid just a vanilla double cutaway.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 29, 2010

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Recently bought a fender hot rod deluxe. But it's just too drat loud, big, and heavy for apartment use. Cleans sound good, but it had several little issues that bugged me, so i decided to trade it out for something more appropriately sized.

I decided on the blues junior NOS. I picked it over the regular blues junior because I like the sound of the jensen speaker, and love the look of tweed amps. Right out of the box it sounds great. Beautiful lush cleans, good reverb and overdrive. Can't wait to see how it is after the speaker breaks in, and possibly a tube swap. Running an MI audio crunch box in it for the heavier tones.

Clapton? Is that you?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Oldstench posted:

If you like cv + sampling, then you need to check out the ADDAC101 .WAV PLAYER:
http://andregoncalves.info/addac/?page_id=508

Fully modular Eurorack sized sample player. The video isn't the best, he could have chosen better samples and made the volume a bit higher, but you get the idea. Could be pretty cool to gently caress with, especially with the envelope follower.
Thats really cool but i was jacked that a junky delay i got off eBay for twenty bucks was doing it! If I had $400 to spend on a sampler I'd probly go for the Roland 404sx because I'd still need a few bucks more to start a modular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I found a Peavy XR-700 powered mixer today for $20:

It's functioning, but only partially. I've found the schematics online, does anyone have experience or advice on repairing something like this?