Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
***Checks timer*** 78 days to retirement eligibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The thread will have to take up a little pool to buy you a watch or something (maybe an av or custom title...)

What are your plans??

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I want to eventually retire to san Diego, so I'm going to take another job until I have enough to pay for a house in cash. Then I'm done.

I've just started applying to local govt jobs and private sector. Weighing if I want to go govt and have a lower paying but stable job versus higher pay in private sector.

LA County pays pretty decent and I'd have a fourth pension between mine and my wife's two if I go that way.

It's really not financially worth it to stay fed because our pension doesn't go up. My pension is 75k, so my mental math is I'm coming in for 120k as soon as I'm eligible.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fell Fire posted:

The biggest complaint we get from potential applicants is that they have to move for the job, even when it doesn't make sense.

Not to mention, what is "customer facing" even supposed to mean? I work with outside people everyday, but being in the office wouldn't change that all of that time is either Teams or staring at a spreadsheet. Are all those new IRS employees supposed to call people into the office like they're Jamie Lee Curtis?

TCOs (Jamie Lee Curtis's job) still call people into the office but they do most of their prep work at home beforehand. I believe SES types still have their in-office sex dungeons but they can now set those up at home now that managers can telework.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

killer crane posted:

I wonder what the McDonald's and gas station pizza by the airport are going to say was the impact of my old office going remote.

Building our office in an industrial area on the edge of a suburb did not encourage any kind of economic vitalization.
I think often of how my federal office in Vermont had a café and gas station with a sandwich/soup preparation area across the street, when otherwise it was over a mile to any food-related businesses at all. Surely at least one of them has gone out of business through the office going from like 500 people on-site to like 50

Evil SpongeBob posted:

***Checks timer*** 78 days to retirement eligibility.
I am close too, only 78 years to go over here!

Maybe you can work to be Neutral SpongeBob after retirement

Edit: DHS internal memo about the executive order was basically "yep we see it, we gonna do our thing lol" (basically saying we already have a lot of people who have been working in-person the whole time and every office will be making sure it is making the right decisions, so probably no changes at all?)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 14, 2023

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not only did my agency consolidate into a building where we physically can't have everyone there, my office voluntarily moved to a smaller space within that building.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
We got an email this afternoon that was basically "we've already been doing this stuff, nothing is changing from current status quo"

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop where the solution to "we reduced our footprint to account for expanded telework" plus "everyone needs to come back to the office now" ends up being "RIFs and tiny American flags for everyone!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
nah, your residence is just going to be classified as a federal workplace. Speaking of which, are you familiar with "hotdesking"?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Well, goddamn. US Attorneys write some pretty amazing commendation letters. Helped them out in a federal trial on short notice with a few hours' worth of work, and they sent my DM one that would make you want to stand up and salute me for single-handedly manning the walls for democracy.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Well yeah I would hope lawyers are good with doing a language.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I want to eventually retire to san Diego, so I'm going to take another job until I have enough to pay for a house in cash. Then I'm done.

I've just started applying to local govt jobs and private sector. Weighing if I want to go govt and have a lower paying but stable job versus higher pay in private sector.

LA County pays pretty decent and I'd have a fourth pension between mine and my wife's two if I go that way.

It's really not financially worth it to stay fed because our pension doesn't go up. My pension is 75k, so my mental math is I'm coming in for 120k as soon as I'm eligible.

I moved to San Diego a couple years back to work in one of the local government entities. Pay was very good since if we didn’t get insurance through them, it was paid out as additional salary—but the local politics and constant lawsuits is a bit demanding if you’re a program manager. It was enough to buy a house close to the beach, so I went back Federal recently where I can work remote and there is much more separation from the politicians.

If you do look at local gov, the smaller entities that aren’t directly tied with the main city jobs usually pay pretty well. The entity I was with paid 14% of salary directly into a pension investment fund without me needing to contribute anything. When I left, I was already vested thanks to my years as a Fed counting as service, so I could roll over all those free contributions into my 401k or TSP.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

How insane is cost of living? We left San Diego for Mobile in 1991, and I honestly don't think I could ever sufficiently dial back my standard of living to afford going back

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I live in orange county and work in LA. So for me it's cheaper.

Plus I don't need or want a big house or yard. I'm fine with something small I can grow old in. For me, weather, activities, "vibe" and access to international air travel are what I want.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm trying to go to China Lake because it's in the same metro area as Los Angeles according to OPM, so you get the extra 34%. I'm sure there are similar places all over the country.

GD_American posted:

How insane is cost of living? We left San Diego for Mobile in 1991, and I honestly don't think I could ever sufficiently dial back my standard of living to afford going back

It's getting quite bad, my Aunt's entire family moved back into her house because everyone else was living in National City and the rents were becoming too high. National City! Not a fancy area at all.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I live in orange county and work in LA. So for me it's cheaper.

Plus I don't need or want a big house or yard. I'm fine with something small I can grow old in. For me, weather, activities, "vibe" and access to international air travel are what I want.

Pretty much this, except I live and work from home in SD close to the airport and downtown. I’m satisfied with having an older and smaller house that has a larger yard with no HOA. With the weather in San Diego, I don’t need as much space inside as I needed when we lived around DC.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Most of my posts have that snarky overtone even if I am otherwise neutral or positive, so this is me posting to say what a good idea it is to increase your TSP contribution when starting a new higher-paid position, so the dumb part of your brain still sees a pay increase even as the smart part of your brain celebrates the stealth investment

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

It's getting quite bad, my Aunt's entire family moved back into her house because everyone else was living in National City and the rents were becoming too high. National City! Not a fancy area at all.

I kinda track it by the house I grew up in, in Mira Mesa. Parents bought it for 110k in 1984, sold it for 240k in 1991, Zillow says it's $885k now. 1200 square feet. Very tiny lawn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Most of my posts have that snarky overtone even if I am otherwise neutral or positive, so this is me posting to say what a good idea it is to increase your TSP contribution when starting a new higher-paid position, so the dumb part of your brain still sees a pay increase even as the smart part of your brain celebrates the stealth investment

Do it by percentage and it'll go up as your pay does, until you max out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You have outed my terrible shame as someone whose last job did not qualify for TSP contributions :smith:

Well actually it did but not until we had been working full-time for 90 days straight and oddly our totally incompetent HR did not let us know that when I asked about it, and only found out when I got a letter from TSP the week we were all laid off

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can't fix yesterday, but you're trying for a better tomorrow! :cheerdoge:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Midjack posted:

You can't fix yesterday, but you're trying for a better tomorrow! :cheerdoge:

I don't ever think I got a confirmation of AL I was supposed to get after hitting the three year threshold of Federal Service because they didn't connect my first stint in USACE with my current stints in Treasury. I should probably check on that at some point. Not like I really go anywhere though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't ever think I got a confirmation of AL I was supposed to get after hitting the three year threshold of Federal Service because they didn't connect my first stint in USACE with my current stints in Treasury. I should probably check on that at some point. Not like I really go anywhere though.

It's a benefit you should be getting and it has value. Keep after it even if it takes a while.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Midjack posted:

It's a benefit you should be getting and it has value. Keep after it even if it takes a while.

I'm already switched over to 6/pp, but there's a period of time where I should've gotten that but I didn't so I'm owed some amount of hours

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had a caller this morning with a balance due for tax year 2019 of a few thousand dollars. Their account was reviewed by the underreporter unit and they increased his taxes by about $3,000. He had an income over $600,000 and used TurboTax to self-file.

I give up. I just give up. :eng99:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Star Man posted:

I had a caller this morning with a balance due for tax year 2019 of a few thousand dollars. Their account was reviewed by the underreporter unit and they increased his taxes by about $3,000. He had an income over $600,000 and used TurboTax to self-file.

I give up. I just give up. :eng99:

It sounds like he saved a bunch of money on a proper tax preparer since the punishment was "We helped you calculate your taxes better so you don't underpay next time"

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Devor posted:

It sounds like he saved a bunch of money on a proper tax preparer since the punishment was "We helped you calculate your taxes better so you don't underpay next time"

The tax industry hasn’t quite achieved regulatory capture, so we don’t (yet!) throw people in prison or fully immiserate them for failing to carry a digit on their tax returns.

I tried to get a proper tax preparer once when I had a bizarrely good year. I found a Registered Agent and sent over all my documents. He came back with some bullshit about it being illegal to contribute to both a 401(k) and an IRA, then insisted that total IRA conversions to Roth were fully taxable as distributions. When asked to complete an 8606 to document the conversions properly he started ranting about how he has done tax preparation for years and who do I think I am, then fired me as a client.

I’ll keep doing my own taxes. Seems simpler even if it upsets Star Man.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Really, I'm just impressed someone with that kind of money is that cheap to not just have a CPA.

I filed my return on FreeTaxUSA after learning from this thread they don't gouge you for state returns. I've never had a job with retirement, health insurance, or a health savings account. I was paranoid that I was missing something, and software doesn't recognize intent. I look forward to getting my own notice because I left something off.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My read is that most of that tax preparation software leads to overpaying on taxes rather than underpaying unless you're really stretching hard to justify why something qualifies as a deduction. If most of your income is salary and traditional investments / dividends, tax software is pretty fire and forget.

I am absolutely leaving money on the table but also feel okay with not trying to find every loophole out there because I guess I'm not rich enough for my brain to be fully broken.

I'd bet he went to a CPA at one point and they wouldn't let him claim certain things, and you can keep fiddling around with tax software until it acquiesces with you. Plus it gives you a little overconfident "everything checks out!" at the end that helps reinforce your bias.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And then I get another call from someone who got charged almost a thousand dollars to file her return. The fees are all coming out of her refund, but nobody earning only $26,000 in a year. I even straight up told her she got fleeced and should check with the service she used to find out what they charged her so much for.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I applied for an internal promotion and updated my resume a few times before the posting closed; they were all named First Last resume.pdf. However, the interview invite had the first version attached. I wonder if USAJobs wasn't properly overwriting the resumes or the contractor made a mistake. :smith:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Josh Lyman posted:

I applied for an internal promotion and updated my resume a few times before the posting closed; they were all named First Last resume.pdf. However, the interview invite had the first version attached. I wonder if USAJobs wasn't properly overwriting the resumes or the contractor made a mistake. :smith:

You could send your updated resume to the people on the invite and explain the technical issue.

Getting to the interview stage means your resume is now mostly pointless except as a jumping-off point for your interview (unless there was a factual inaccuracy like missing a degree or something).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Devor posted:

You could send your updated resume to the people on the invite and explain the technical issue.

Getting to the interview stage means your resume is now mostly pointless except as a jumping-off point for your interview (unless there was a factual inaccuracy like missing a degree or something).
The content wasn't really changed, just adjustments to the language to better mirror the posting to try to make cert.

The interview panel includes my current boss and a colleague so probably not worth the potential confusion given the minimal changes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're on the cert list, it's not worth it, and you're fine. They're not going to pick someone else because you used the wrong word on your resume. Using resume language is just to get to that point.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

If you update your resume you basically need to full-on resubmit the app if you want the change to take. So your app may not have had the most recent resume attached - I don't think anyone in HR gets more than 1 version.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The section chief for a fantastic duty station emailed me for an interview and now hasn't responded when I replied an hour after. That was Wednesday. :regd09:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was contacted for a cool public affairs interview in mid-November and got really stoked when responding.

Oh December 10 I got an inquiry about which day the following week worked best for the interview. I had already been rehired by USCIS December 5.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was contacted for a cool public affairs interview in mid-November and got really stoked when responding.

Oh December 10 I got an inquiry about which day the following week worked best for the interview. I had already been rehired by USCIS December 5.

Maybe they were having second thoughts and wanted to run another interview though. ;)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rakeris posted:

Maybe they were having second thoughts and wanted to run another interview though. ;)
:asoiaf:

I suppose that might be the way to go, if you think you know who should take the job and that person does not work out, expand the pool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Time for my annual (or first) reminder for active feds to pay for liability insurance. Your agency will reimburse for half. If you have a clearance, there are plans that will cover security clearance actions too.