Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

The fuckers keep not turning on.
Not, turning on?

Well there goes a decent phone-on-paper. How do they keep screwing this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

ThermoPhysical posted:

What Grumpwagon and ExcessBlarg! are saying is correct. I and my boyfriend both have the Nexus S 4G running Jelly Bean. It's not the absolute smoothest phone out there, but it is better than it was on Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich. The phone is aging so do NOT buy it new but I would definitely say it will last you until the new Nexus drops.

However, as Grumpwagon said, if it's more than about $90 (maybe $95 - $100 tops), don't do it and just wait for the new Nexus device.

Duckman2008 posted:

No one knows anything about a new nexus, but bets would be on sprint not picking it up until later. My opinion on a nexus now is to wait 4 months for the sales to flop and buy one cheaper when the price drops.

Thanks for your advice, I suppose I will hold out with my current phone for whatever next best thing is, or wait for the prices to drop and I'll get a galaxy S3 and put CM10 on it. Thinking about trying to just find a JB rom for the 4G eventually.

I have tasted the S3 and the EVOLTE, and love them both honestly, might like the S3 more performance wise, even though I prefer the design of the evo (row of 3 capacitive buttons instead of the hardware button). It might just be that the S3 runs better with touchwiz than the evo with Sense.

the screen for the evo is really nice, but I think the pentile screen on the S3 is much more vivid and crisp, besides the weird pixelation you can see with this tech. Too many choices.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not, turning on?

I don't know, but one of my friends recently picked up a Moto phone on AT&T, and he's had a problem where the phone overheats and goes into some sort of weird shut down mode where you have to do a strange button press combination to turn it back on. I wonder if that's happening with these as well...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not, turning on?

I've only sold 2 of them, I had one of mine come back and two other ones that I have seen. There have been a few times I was able to get it to turn back on, but I definitely had one where I just could not get it to turn on. It was so frustrating and pathetic.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

On another note, i have been assimilated, and traded my S3 for a iPhone 5. So far so good (I have a galaxy nexus yet).

You will love our lord and savior Jobs, for he was all-knowing and wise, Amen.

Also I'm sure you are doing what Apple calls "PC free" but I wanted to point out that you don't need to sync with iTunes these days. Just do the iCloud backups (it's free). If you need non-iTunes music or want to sync playlists then get iTunes Match, let it scan your library, then all that music will be available on the phone. Remember: friends don't let friends use iTunes.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ender.uNF posted:

Remember: friends don't let friends use iTunes.

It never ceases to amaze me what a piece of poo poo iTunes is.

I'm hoping that the new update due out this month will be a complete refresh and will make it not such a piece of poo poo...

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

My sister has a Galaxy Nexus that has a broken charging port, but she bought it on Ebay and has no insurance. She took it to a Sprint store but since it's not on insurance they didn't/couldn't do anything. I know she could buy the part on Ebay and install it but she doesn't want to do that, what are her options other than buying a new phone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

My sister has a Galaxy Nexus that has a broken charging port, but she bought it on Ebay and has no insurance. She took it to a Sprint store but since it's not on insurance they didn't/couldn't do anything. I know she could buy the part on Ebay and install it but she doesn't want to do that, what are her options other than buying a new phone?

I don't have insurance on my Nexus S but each time I've had a problem, they just said they'd charge me $37 if they had to fix it. The Sprint store you went to didn't do that?

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't have insurance on my Nexus S but each time I've had a problem, they just said they'd charge me $37 if they had to fix it. The Sprint store you went to didn't do that?

Apparently they didn't, maybe it was a third party store. All actual Sprint stores will fix it though?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently they didn't, maybe it was a third party store. All actual Sprint stores will fix it though?

The one I go to is a corporate store since my account is EPRP, but if you use this and see which repair centers are near you, they should be able to help.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Charging ports are usually not a replaceable part. At least not by a store as they wont do soldering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

uapyro posted:

I loved the physical keyboards on WM devices, starting with the HTC Mogul. Then the Touch Pro, then Touch Pro 2. It was Swype that converted me over. And now Swiftkey is what I mainly use. Given the option for a physical keyboard on an upper range device, I think it'd still go for it just for long sections of text.

I would pin this as much on the terrible resistive touchscreens as on the keyboard quality. I had to use tape to salvage the touchscreen on my dad's TP2 since he finally decided to go iPhone 5 (using my wife's old Evo 4G in the interim) and I had to migrate the passwords out of SPB Wallet for him.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
(Crossposted from the Rooted Android thread)

To anyone that is hanging on to their Evo3D until the next Nexus phone comes out (definitely not buying a non-Nexus next time!), Agrabren has been working on CDMA/GSM versions of CM10 and they've been getting better and better despite a group of retards over on XDA and some Anthrax kernel users trying to spoil it for everyone. Camera works (though auto-focus does not), Wimax works (CDMA obviously) and a lot of bugs have been squashed already. 3D camera is still broken, as is the 3D screen aside from the boot animation but who still uses that stuff anyway?

GSM version is posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1826747
CDMA version download is here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/cm10/shooter

There is no CDMA thread (because XDA is full of morons), but he uses CDMA personally so there's no chance of it falling by the wayside in favor of GSM. There's still bugs but it seems like a fully functional real daily-driver CM10 rom is just around the corner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love you. gently caress the E3D's development "community", it is the most insular circlejerk I think I've ever seen in the smartphone world. I will be so loving happy if CM10 ever works. I'd argue that autofocus doesn't really work well on the phone stock, either.

How's A2DP and GPS?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I assume CM10 is JB-based?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would pin this as much on the terrible resistive touchscreens as on the keyboard quality. I had to use tape to salvage the touchscreen on my dad's TP2 since he finally decided to go iPhone 5 (using my wife's old Evo 4G in the interim) and I had to migrate the passwords out of SPB Wallet for him.

Partially yes. But then again I was at the point where I didn't even have to look at the screen or keyboard to get out a message. Plus today it'd be useful for games that support keyboards instead of on screen controls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Depends on how broken it is. If the pins are still there its a $35 fee. And honestly charger ports are pretty heavy duty repairs, so I wouldn't bet on her being able to repair it herself.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Can anyone recommend a good case for the SG3? Something that doesn't add a lot of bulk would be awesome.

vvv thanks!

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 8, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eyecannon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good case for the SG3?
Diztronic TPU cases.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Please keep us up to date with news on this rom, I'm stuck with the phone and Sprint for another year and want to switch once CM10 is 100%.

FlyingCheese posted:

E3D CM10 info

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love you. gently caress the E3D's development "community", it is the most insular circlejerk I think I've ever seen in the smartphone world. I will be so loving happy if CM10 ever works. I'd argue that autofocus doesn't really work well on the phone stock, either.

XDA will forever be the one forum I hate to go to purely because a lot of the dev communities are pure unadulterated poo poo. If I wasn't so busy, I'd consider re-downgrading my HBOOT, but I'll hold out for now, even if I am tired of 4.0.3 already. :v:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

IOwnCalculus posted:

How's A2DP and GPS?

I'm partially wanting a Nexus next in hopes that I never have to read a post from XDA ever again. gently caress that site.

As far as I could tell, GPS works, but I don't use bluetooth... ever, so I didn't test it out. The problem with autofocus is that it completely crashes the phone after a few seconds. Camera works only with manual focus. The fix is supposedly coming soon.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="408330138"]
I assume CM10 is JB-based?

Yes.

blargle posted:

Please keep us up to date with news on this rom, I'm stuck with the phone and Sprint for another year and want to switch once CM10 is 100%.

I don't have so much problem with Sprint as I do with HTC's idea of updates.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My sister is currently off contract and in desperate need of a new phone (she's still using a Palm Pixi). But she wants to transfer her number to my Family Plan, we're both currently on separate EPRP plans, what's the least painful way for us to get both of those things taken care of?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Q_res" post="408344701"]
My sister is currently off contract and in desperate need of a new phone (she's still using a Palm Pixi). But she wants to transfer her number to my Family Plan, we're both currently on separate EPRP plans, what's the least painful way for us to get both of those things taken care of?
[/quote

Over the phone or corporate store, either should be fine. Its actually not bad unless the person really doesn't know what they are doing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Woot, this was sitting in my inbox this morning:

For Philadelphia and East Kentucky markets:

The Network team has begun working on 3G Network Vision sites in your market. Currently, there are only a few sites on-air, but many additional sites will come on-air in the coming weeks and the pace will continue to accelerate. Therefore, please pardon our dust during this exciting time while the Network team makes these improvements.
As the Network team brings sites on-air, they will be upgraded one at a time; however, they will be turned on in clusters which will require some adjustments to minimize the impact of handing off between the old technology and Network Vision.
Most of this retuning is expected to occur during the middle of the night to reduce customer impacts.
The Network team is doing everything they can to minimize these changes and provide our customers with the best experience possible. However, customers might experience some blocked/dropped calls while the towers are being retuned. Retuning of these new towers can take up to 72 hours to complete.
If you're experiencing issues with a site, don't assume that Network Vision is the only possible source. Research the issue per normal processes and submit a network trouble ticket if necessary.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I've been getting intermittent 4G service on my EVO 4G LTE around Boston/Cambridge for the past couple weeks. So far, it's not exactly tearing up the speed charts (uhh, disregard the wifi symbol on the screenshot, these tests were all done with 4G active):

Not sure if it's related to the 4G rollout or because I got some crappy radios when upgrading my Fresh ROM last month, but I was experiencing a lot of issues connecting to 3G in September. At least now that seems back to normal and I either get 4G or 3G reliably.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
They turned on 170 more sites this past week: Chicago (30), PR/VI (25), Boston (20), New York City (14), Baltimore (13), Atlanta/Athens (13), LA Metro (12), Houston (11), Washington DC (10), SF Bay (5), Philadelphia Metro (3), Austin (3), Kansas (2), DFW (2), San Antonio (2), Shentel (2), Central Jersey (1), New Orleans (1)

As you can see Chicago continues to speed ahead, Puerto Rico and Boston get some love, etc. They had been up to 200 sites per week but dropped; hopefully just a temporary blip.

Dallas continues to get ever slower (towers completed, actual speeds on upgraded towers are great). I can't tell if Sprint just thinks the coverage is good enough as-is and has pulled crews off this market, or if there is something screwing up the deployment.

My house is just on the edge of LTE bleed over from a neighboring cell so my iPhone 5 spends all day picking up and dropping LTE. Apple has obviously built in some dampening logic to help as it doesn't immediately eat the battery, but it does give me lower battery life than I get elsewhere. At the office I can go 8 hours and not lose 10%. At home I lose 50% battery in the same time period.

Edit:

iluvpr0n posted:

I've been getting intermittent 4G service on my EVO 4G LTE around Boston/Cambridge for the past couple weeks. So far, it's not exactly tearing up the speed charts (uhh, disregard the wifi symbol on the screenshot, these tests were all done with 4G active):

Not sure if it's related to the 4G rollout or because I got some crappy radios when upgrading my Fresh ROM last month, but I was experiencing a lot of issues connecting to 3G in September. At least now that seems back to normal and I either get 4G or 3G reliably.

From what the guys at s4gru.com say, most of the Android phones show CDMA 1X signal strength in the bars, not LTE... so if you are just barely getting an LTE signal you may see full bars but get low speeds. This is only a problem during the rollout because you can be getting voice from a nearby tower but LTE from a distant one. Once all towers have LTE it won't matter. (For the iPhone owners, it shows LTE strength when on LTE).

Actually looking at your screenshot, those don't look like LTE speeds or ping times. Are you sure your custom ROM hasn't broken LTE support?

Simulated fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 9, 2012

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
It kills me that Buffalo market isn't even on the radar for any sort of upgrade anytime soon.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Ender.uNF posted:

They turned on 170 more sites this past week: Washington DC (10)
Is there anyway to find out where the towers are or what kind of area they're covering?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When the heck is Miami going to get these sweet sweet changes.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Eyecannon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good case for the SG3? Something that doesn't add a lot of bulk would be awesome.

vvv thanks!

Acase Superleggera Pro

They used to be pretty cheap (~$8), got popular and now almost double in price. I like mine well enough. It's better than my girlfriend's Incipio case, which was more expensive.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ender.uNF posted:

Dallas continues to get ever slower (towers completed, actual speeds on upgraded towers are great). I can't tell if Sprint just thinks the coverage is good enough as-is and has pulled crews off this market, or if there is something screwing up the deployment.
We were at 75 and Legacy, headed West, and it took a good 90 seconds for Maps to calculate a route on my wife's Galaxy Nexus. I don't think things used to be this bad...

That said, I have noticed that I've had better signal in places where it used to be bad/nonexistant... but even then, it's still ridiculously slow. I've started hopping on wifi at places just to have usable data.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Allaniis posted:

Acase Superleggera Pro

They used to be pretty cheap (~$8), got popular and now almost double in price. I like mine well enough. It's better than my girlfriend's Incipio case, which was more expensive.

My wife just got this case and really likes it. I adds just enough bulk to the phone to make it a little easier to hold onto, and also puts a nice raised lip on the edge of the screen making it safer to place it on a table screen-side down.

also the rubber under-case is so nice to have if you ...gulp :ohdear:, drop it.........

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Ender.uNF posted:

From what the guys at s4gru.com say, most of the Android phones show CDMA 1X signal strength in the bars, not LTE... so if you are just barely getting an LTE signal you may see full bars but get low speeds. This is only a problem during the rollout because you can be getting voice from a nearby tower but LTE from a distant one. Once all towers have LTE it won't matter. (For the iPhone owners, it shows LTE strength when on LTE).

Actually looking at your screenshot, those don't look like LTE speeds or ping times. Are you sure your custom ROM hasn't broken LTE support?

Not as far as I can tell. I've been waiting for CM10 to get a bit more finalized before switching to a non-Sense ROM. Just hoping for the best and will be reasonably happy if I can just stream my music reliably.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Holy poo poo why won't Google Voice remember my setting to NOT screen calls? It'll work for a few days and then completely randomly revert to screening all my calls. Is it so hard for Google to remember 1 simple setting? What the christ, this is like the 6527474252462th time this has happened.

I go to the GV settings page in my browser and there it is, Screen Calls: Off... yet it still screens my calls. It's really frustrating honestly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Holy poo poo why won't Google Voice remember my setting to NOT screen calls? It'll work for a few days and then completely randomly revert to screening all my calls. Is it so hard for Google to remember 1 simple setting? What the christ, this is like the 6527474252462th time this has happened.

I go to the GV settings page in my browser and there it is, Screen Calls: Off... yet it still screens my calls. It's really frustrating honestly.

Serious question: are you hitting save afterwards? I forget if it was that setting, but I had an issue with google voice and it was seriously me not hitting save before exiting.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Voodoo posted:

Is there anyway to find out where the towers are or what kind of area they're covering?

Skeezy posted:

When the heck is Miami going to get these sweet sweet changes.

The folks over at s4gru.com have all the info. Interactive maps are available in the members section if you kick them a couple of bucks; static maps are publicly available.

brc64 posted:

We were at 75 and Legacy, headed West, and it took a good 90 seconds for Maps to calculate a route on my wife's Galaxy Nexus. I don't think things used to be this bad...

That said, I have noticed that I've had better signal in places where it used to be bad/nonexistant... but even then, it's still ridiculously slow. I've started hopping on wifi at places just to have usable data.

Funny enough when I can barely get an LTE signal at my house (only certain spots) which usually gets 2-3 Mbps download speeds. That's as fast or faster than I can get with a perfect EVDO signal, so pretty impressive for a 1 bar / -118dbm signal. Driving along PGBTP between Independence and Preston I latch onto the tower near UT Dallas and pull down 30 Mbps. But otherwise that's all I can get; my office, up and down US75, etc just don't have much coverage and the maps confirm that there is a massive hole in coverage all over Plano (and Irving for that matter).

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
My Samsung GS3 finally arrived today and it was a joyous event. However after doing the hands free activation thing I noticed I was unable to send texts while connected to my airave (more specifically the C1-600-RT Airvana 2) but I can receive texts, calls and make calls. It's just when I try to send a text I get "Code: 97 Account error: message not sent. Please contact customer care and report a code 97 when sending messages." but I can send/receive texts and make calls while off the airave (roaming) though. None of my other phones have this issue and are working right next to it.

After doing a quick search just to see if I could fix it, it turns out people generally recommend not activating phones on the airave to begin with and there's all sorts of stories online about how you have to call and get your MSID changed and all that jazz. I called tonight and the tech I got simply instructed me to turn my phone off/on, update profile/prl and that was the extent of his knowledge so he said it may take an hour to 'acclimate to the area' and wanted to end the call so I just let it go because I'm tired and since I can do everything else I'll just live with it for tonight but in the morning I'll try to give CS another call. Anyone else have to deal with this and have any tips on what to say to the CS folks to avoid the runaround of rebooting everything (which I've done numerous times already)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

My Samsung GS3 finally arrived today and it was a joyous event. However after doing the hands free activation thing I noticed I was unable to send texts while connected to my airave (more specifically the C1-600-RT Airvana 2) but I can receive texts, calls and make calls. It's just when I try to send a text I get "Code: 97 Account error: message not sent. Please contact customer care and report a code 97 when sending messages." but I can send/receive texts and make calls while off the airave (roaming) though. None of my other phones have this issue and are working right next to it.

After doing a quick search just to see if I could fix it, it turns out people generally recommend not activating phones on the airave to begin with and there's all sorts of stories online about how you have to call and get your MSID changed and all that jazz. I called tonight and the tech I got simply instructed me to turn my phone off/on, update profile/prl and that was the extent of his knowledge so he said it may take an hour to 'acclimate to the area' and wanted to end the call so I just let it go because I'm tired and since I can do everything else I'll just live with it for tonight but in the morning I'll try to give CS another call. Anyone else have to deal with this and have any tips on what to say to the CS folks to avoid the runaround of rebooting everything (which I've done numerous times already)?

I don't have much experience with trouble shooting airraves since its not like you can bring them in store, but if what you are saying about programming on the airrave is right, then go somewhere else, do a full master ##786# reset (you will need your MSL) and see if that does it. It fully wipes the phone back to factory settings and it reprograms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't have much experience with trouble shooting airraves since its not like you can bring them in store, but if what you are saying about programming on the airrave is right, then go somewhere else, do a full master ##786# reset (you will need your MSL) and see if that does it. It fully wipes the phone back to factory settings and it reprograms.

Thanks a lot! I'll try that in the morning when I get into work since I get normal service coverage there.