Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ is having a buy 2 get 1 free on LP's. I scored Led Zeppelin 1-3 remasters for $44. Overpaying obv but worth it for me.

Thank you for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BigFactory posted:

You guys can keep your Beatles and movie soundtracks, I'm listening to earthquakes.

that looks awesome I want it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Snowy posted:

that looks awesome I want it.

It's disgustingly bass heavy. So much that I'm a little afraid to play it at high volume. Apparently track two makes the needle skip at one point, not really by design, it just does. I only had a few minutes to play with it last night so I didn't get that far. It's not a field recording of earthquakes, it's a seismograph hooked directly to a recording device and then pitch shifted to audible frequencies or some gobbeldygook.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BigFactory posted:

It's disgustingly bass heavy. So much that I'm a little afraid to play it at high volume.

You're just making this worse. Bass heavy earthquakes are my fetish. Looks like it sold for $50 on discogs too.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Snowy posted:

You're just making this worse. Bass heavy earthquakes are my fetish. Looks like it sold for $50 on discogs too.

proper dubstep/uk bass on vinyl is an earthquake on wax. I always have to turn my sub from 3/4th volume to 1/4th when I play any uk bass on my tt

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have a copy of the Telarc 1812 Overture describe in this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=402745

The canons are legit.

I don't have the warning letter though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

You guys can keep your Beatles and movie soundtracks, I'm listening to earthquakes.

I wonder who the target audience was for this.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Probably the same people that buy those steam train sound records.

I always snatch them up at goodwill, contemplate putting them on the bay then realise I am too lazy and settle in for an afternoon of British steam.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just like earthquakes. And war sounds.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

A similar audience to like Folkways ethnographic records. Or maybe no audience at all, really. Documenting things was novel in the 40's and 50's.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

CPL593H posted:

People that didn't watch TV and didn't listen to music 24/7.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Got my autographed copy of Danger's new EP from winning that contest (8th place out of 10). Was expecting the signature to be his real name, but I like it:

Have a download code:
http://2emedanger.com/july2013vinyl
__GONE_

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 19, 2014

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
So my current rig is stereo-only - a Pro-Ject plugged directly into a RR2150. I'd like to start listening to mono stuff, but I'm not sure how to go about this since the receiver doesn't offer a way to fold stereo signals down into mono. Anyone have any advice on how to do this?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

So my current rig is stereo-only - a Pro-Ject plugged directly into a RR2150. I'd like to start listening to mono stuff, but I'm not sure how to go about this since the receiver doesn't offer a way to fold stereo signals down into mono. Anyone have any advice on how to do this?

You put it on your turntable and play it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

trdn89 posted:

What?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

trdn89 posted:

Jam an icepick into one of your ears. Doesn't matter which one.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

trdn89 posted:

When people talk about listening to a mono record, they don't usually mean just folding down a stereo record into mono.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

When people talk about listening to a mono record, they don't usually mean just folding down a stereo record into mono.

Yeah that's a common misconception. You have to fold the record in half.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

CPL593H posted:

Yeah that's a common misconception. You have to fold the record in half.

I wish empty quoting was okay outside of gibbis.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm fairly new to perusing discogs.com and was wondering how comprehensive they usually are when it comes to varying differences with releases.

They only have two listings for Gabor Szabo - His Great Hits; the original 1971 release and then a repressing by MCA in 1980. This is one of the albums inherited from my late mother-in-law (original pressing) and when I went to listen to it I realized that for reasons unknown she actually had two copies of side 1/2 with side 3/4 missing. It's not an expensive an album, so today I picked up a replacement copy for five bucks, making sure at the time that it wasn't the MCA repressing.

But when I compared the two copies back home, I realized there are subtle differences in the packaging, although the catalogue number is the same between the two. I wasn't sure how anal a website like discogs would be at this seemingly third version of the album or if for all intents and purposes, these two copies are considered the same.

My totally unsubstantiated theory: my mother-in-law's copy was a recalled first pressing because it accidentally came packaged with two of the same record, and is thus worth a small fortune. Someone please tell me this is correct, I got bills to pay. :pray:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
For really well circulated releases discogs has a million variations and almost certainly doesn't have the exact one you own.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Especially for Impulse stuff, since they kept just about everything in print and changed label and jacket styles throughout the press runs as the label got cheaper and cheaper. That's why everyone differentiates Impulse pressings by saying DG orange/black or black label, heavy stock gatefold, VG in deadwax, etc.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

trdn89 posted:

You can get a double-y chord, which will take the stereo signal and sum it to mono for you.

I'm kind of confused by what you're looking to do. So for the record, mono records are compatible with stereo records. The only thing is that you may have noise in the stereo spectrum, but the music should be mono.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

The only thing is that you may have noise in the stereo spectrum,.

I've never had this happen, I don't see any reason why a modern turntable would have an issue playing a mono record through a stereo cart. A lot of mono albums have a little advisory right one them that says this is fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just make sure you fold the record in half first.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pan to either side and listen to one speaker.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

Pan to either side and listen to one speaker.

I would advise against panning. Novice stereophiles should avoid putting their setup in the kitchen until they are better versed in how things work.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I've never had this happen, I don't see any reason why a modern turntable would have an issue playing a mono record through a stereo cart. A lot of mono albums have a little advisory right one them that says this is fine.

All I'm saying is that the dust and dirt in the record will be in stereo. That's all. Aside from that, you're not going to have any problems.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

All I'm saying is that the dust and dirt in the record will be in stereo. That's all. Aside from that, you're not going to have any problems.

Oh, that makes sense. I never really noticed that being a thing, but then again I keep my records clean. :smug:

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Ballz posted:

Discogs stuff

Everything on discogs is added by the users, if you think you have something that isn't listed make up an entry and see if it gets a response.

Or more to my point, discogs is only as extensive as the guy adding that info decided to be, some records have absurd amounts of info and others aren't found on the site at all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Now that we have the bad jokes out of us, are there any labels that have record clubs where you sign up and they just send you random poo poo? And if so what are good ones? I like all kinds of music so style doesn't matter. And collectibility doesn't matter either. I just want to hear new stuff and get surprises in the mail.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

BigFactory posted:

Now that we have the bad jokes out of us, are there any labels that have record clubs where you sign up and they just send you random poo poo? And if so what are good ones? I like all kinds of music so style doesn't matter. And collectibility doesn't matter either. I just want to hear new stuff and get surprises in the mail.

HoZac used to do the HoZac Hookup Klub, but I don't think they do it anymore. It's a lo-fi garage/psych/experimental label. Other than that, I'm not really sure.

Also, serious question about mono/stereo: My stereo preamp can switch to mono mode. I never use it when spinning mono records; I've always figured that the sound will come out mono anyway. The question is, why have a mono mode at all? Did some people just not like the stereo sound, and wanted to fold it down? I used to have a receiver that had a mono option, too.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

BigFactory posted:

Numero Group has a subscription, but I've been too poor to go for it (although I now see you can skip releases when you want, which is pretty awesome).

I was just thinking about how I wished Trouble in Mind had one, as I'm liking pretty much everything they're putting out these days (with particular recommendations for Morgan Delt, Jacco Gardner, and Greg Ashley).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I seriously hope this page simply exists to make money off the Amazon referrals, aren't all these brands just mass producers of cheap garbage?

http://www.vinylandcocktails.com/best-all-in-one-turntables-and-record-players/

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

I seriously hope this page simply exists to make money off the Amazon referrals, aren't all these brands just mass producers of cheap garbage?

Crosley is garbage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes they're all poo poo and judging by the pictures most of them don't even use a magnetic cart.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean if you're going to list the "best" portable and all-in-one turntables, I can't really think of any better ones.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

iluvpr0n posted:

Numero Group has a subscription, but I've been too poor to go for it (although I now see you can skip releases when you want, which is pretty awesome).

I was just thinking about how I wished Trouble in Mind had one, as I'm liking pretty much everything they're putting out these days (with particular recommendations for Morgan Delt, Jacco Gardner, and Greg Ashley).

Subscribing to LITA is one of the greatest things I've ever done for myself; it's not cheap but their batting average is just stupidly high.

Also Captured Tracks is doing a Mac DeMarco singles club which looks mighty promising.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

trdn89 posted:

You did the right thing, this is easily one of the best box sets that I own.

You were right about that! This thing is beeeauuutiful! ("The Disintegration Loops" box set, that is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

iluvpr0n posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, too cool. Thanks!