Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you literally only drink an americano a day then I wouldn't bother with a real machine. Otherwise you're looking at $300+ for a grinder and another 300+ for a machine. And then a week or two of practice (along with a poo poo ton of wasted beans) before you can reliably pull a good shot. There are also espresso classes that are like 3 or 4 hours long at fancy coffee shops but every one I've seen is very expensive. The one at Four Barrel is 3 hours for $200, and it's always sold out.

I'd consider doing that if you drink a lot of espresso and cappuccino and want to impress guests with your sick latte art skills.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Postmaster GBS posted:

i don’t mind spending the money on something decent since i literally drink one every day. is nespresso Actually Good or am i better off buying a more ‘premium’ machine?

for a while i’d been crushing death wish valhalla blend with a burr grinder recommended in this thread, along with a french press and doing cold brew over night (i’ve found 1:7 ratio to be the sweet spot for ~10-12 hours, if anyone cares) but it just ain’t doing it for me anymore

If you're after convenience, a superautomatic espresso machine will do better coffee than a nespresso. It'll be more expensive up front but the cost of pre-ground pods will add up over time compared to using whole beans in a superautomatic, so it ends up being cheaper in the long run (not to mention freshly ground coffee, less waste and you can usually tweak temperature/grind settings too if you like)

Since you've already got a grinder - if you're looking for a cheaper option but you still want an espresso-like taste, a moka pot might be up your alley. It's not espresso but the coffee will taste very similar to one, but I reckon in an iced americano the difference between a shot of espresso and moka pot coffee won't be that different.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed3vswxJKgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd50Ieh6nOg

"fresh perked"

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
"local goon makes it to big leagues".

https://goodfoodfdn.org/awards/winners/2019/coffee/

2 years in a row. In effort to not make this a shameless plug for goonhugs..

Qubee posted:

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I'm going to give Has Bean (I really like their name) a go. I'm also digging the Brian Coffee Spot website, it's a chill blog to read.

I'm also super hype, I stopped by at a place that only roasts coffee beans and the two people working there were ridiculously friendly. Showed me all the stuff they work with too which was really cool. They said 250g are £5 because they appreciate the fact customers have driven down to pick it up. They're pretty much wholesale distributors but they're planning on opening a coffee place up soon. Haven't tried it yet but I'm excited to see how it tastes. I'm a dum dum for Googling "coffee shop" and not "coffee roaster", cause this place was right at the top with a bunch of 5 star reviews.

He buys a lot of stuff from the Miersch's I buy and does consistently which in a way helps me and since I pay for ad's helps pay for sa. So, going there in a way benefits the website? I had some shipped across the pond and loved the coffees. Would recommend for sure. Any of the nica's he buys are going to be better than mine too - which says something about him to me. I'm sure everything else he buys is absurdly good.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

If you're after convenience, a superautomatic espresso machine will do better coffee than a nespresso. It'll be more expensive up front but the cost of pre-ground pods will add up over time compared to using whole beans in a superautomatic, so it ends up being cheaper in the long run (not to mention freshly ground coffee, less waste and you can usually tweak temperature/grind settings too if you like)

Since you've already got a grinder - if you're looking for a cheaper option but you still want an espresso-like taste, a moka pot might be up your alley. It's not espresso but the coffee will taste very similar to one, but I reckon in an iced americano the difference between a shot of espresso and moka pot coffee won't be that different.

okay. thank you. looked into the superautomatic machines a bit, i need to do more research. is there a specific manufacturer / model you’d recommend?

nespresso can get hosed, i’m not stockpiling pods like a space-troglodyte

e: drat. moka pots are cheap.

Postmaster GBS fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 14, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Superautos are super complicated with lots of moving parts encased in one package. If just one of those parts break then the whole thing becomes useless. I highly recommend you get separate espresso grinder and machine if you're going to do espresso.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Superautos are super complicated with lots of moving parts encased in one package. If just one of those parts break then the whole thing becomes useless. I highly recommend you get separate espresso grinder and machine if you're going to do espresso.

yeah, i just reread your previous post and was about to reply to it. thanks for the heads up on superautos.

i would definitely get decent mileage out of it insofar as hosting people and having espresso on deck. i willingly admit that i’m an idiot though because i didn’t know how much went into pulling good shots, etc.

the convenience thing doesn’t matter to me, i don’t mind putting in the time to do it right. i drink ~5 shots of espresso per day and my girlfriend is probably at ~2-3. my consumption would definitely increase if i had access to pulling quality espresso in my kitchen

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

You can have my superauto when you pry it from my cold, dead, but still shaking, hands.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can have my superauto when you pry it from my cold, dead, but still shaking, hands.

New threat title pls, mods

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

If just one of those parts break then the whole thing becomes useless.
Oh please, that isn't any more true for super-autos then it is for any other kind of machine, semi-autos included. Yes there are more parts so there are more chances for something to go wrong, but the trade-off is an machine that's easier to operate for the common person (ie. most home users).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd consider giving one to my grandma or something. But people that post in this thread aren't normies. He already said he doesn't mind putting in the time to do it right. Doing dat sik nasty latte art can be impressive.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't know, dude wants Americanos and you are talking about the sick nasty latte art ability of a semi auto machine. Seems like dude is a good candidate for a super auto

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't know, dude wants Americanos and you are talking about the sick nasty latte art ability of a semi auto machine. Seems like dude is a good candidate for a super auto
Iced, even. This thread is full of all kinds of coffee lovers and there's no one setup that's best for everybody. Hell I own just about every kind of machine there is under $1K and I still can't be arsed touch anything but the mokapot some weekends. Superautos and pod/capsule machines are the perfect solution for someone that wants to make easy, decent espresso at home but not have to put a lot of work into it.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd consider giving one to my grandma or something.

slamming me so hard for considering a superauto

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Postmaster GBS posted:

Just follow your heart.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Postmaster GBS posted:

It was the caffeine talking, friend....

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bizwank posted:

Iced, even. This thread is full of all kinds of coffee lovers and there's no one setup that's best for everybody. Hell I own just about every kind of machine there is under $1K and I still can't be arsed touch anything but the mokapot some weekends. Superautos and pod/capsule machines are the perfect solution for someone that wants to make easy, decent espresso at home but not have to put a lot of work into it.

Lol, look at you putting all that effort into using a moka pot when there is a perfectly acceptable $5 plastic pour over at your local grocery store.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

El Jebus posted:

Lol, look at you putting all that effort into using a moka pot when there is a perfectly acceptable $5 plastic pour over at your local grocery store.

B-b-b-b-but what about *gasp* filters?

He can't possibly use plain paper filters for his coffee, can he?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have 2 pour overs, they're actually more work than the mokapot. Get the kettle out, set the water temp, grind and weigh coffee, pre-warm funnel, rinse filter, pour slowly, wait for the first bloom, etc etc etc. Moka pot is: fill with water, scoop in ground whatever, screw together, stick on burner, back to bed.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I consider the moka pot to be more arduous than any of the other coffee makers I have (which at this point is just french press, clever dripper and a brazen). The teardown and cleanup is a bitch and you can't do it immediately because its too hot to touch

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Mokas are braindead (aka good)

But I love my Chemex because I like slowly sipping my coffee for a long time. I’ll always choose drip coffee/Americano over shots or milk drinks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I have one of these bialetti pourovers: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bialetti-reg-2-cup-coffee-dripper/3328718

What sort of carafe can I get to pair with it? Right now I just use the closest fitting pyrex measuring cup I have, but it's wobbly and annoying. When I search for pourover carafe I just get chemex and combo products and stuff.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

El Jebus posted:

Ugh, pour over, what are we, animals? I make a vac pot everymorning when I get to work (Cory glass filter ftw). Seriously, I don't think you can make better 'brewed' coffee. No metal, no paper, perfect temp.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

porktree posted:

Ugh, pour over, what are we, animals? I make a vac pot everymorning when I get to work (Cory glass filter ftw). Seriously, I don't think you can make better 'brewed' coffee. No metal, no paper, perfect temp.

lol, just lol. Full immersion brewing is definitely the best way to completely lose any unique characteristics of a bean. Not to mention vac pots by their nature mean you are always going to be brewing with the same temp of water and can't even dial in that aspect of the brew making it even worse than other full immersion methods. Might as well just use a Mr. Coffee that nobody ever cleans.

Flat Bottom drip brewing or very well designed cone drip is the best way for a filtered cup of coffee to be made hands down.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

silvergoose posted:

So I have one of these bialetti pourovers: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bialetti-reg-2-cup-coffee-dripper/3328718

What sort of carafe can I get to pair with it? Right now I just use the closest fitting pyrex measuring cup I have, but it's wobbly and annoying. When I search for pourover carafe I just get chemex and combo products and stuff.

Hario makes a bunch of them. They pretty much work the same.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hario+decanter

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Turns out decanter is a much, much more precise word. Thanks!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

MasterControl posted:

"local goon makes it to big leagues".

https://goodfoodfdn.org/awards/winners/2019/coffee/

2 years in a row. In effort to not make this a shameless plug for goonhugs..

He buys a lot of stuff from the Miersch's I buy and does consistently which in a way helps me and since I pay for ad's helps pay for sa. So, going there in a way benefits the website? I had some shipped across the pond and loved the coffees. Would recommend for sure. Any of the nica's he buys are going to be better than mine too - which says something about him to me. I'm sure everything else he buys is absurdly good.

Congrats! I've been trying to get my poo poo together to put an order in to you but I hope to soon.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Bought some goon beans and I haven't made coffee at home before besides some bad Keurig cups, so I'm excited to try this out.

French press was cheap, but grinders not so much. Every thread I find online is recommending $100+, I was thinking more $30 if that's possible? At that range it looks like I'm going manual . That shouldn't get too tiresome if Ill only be drinking 1-2 cups a day

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 18, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

goodness posted:

Bought some goon beans and I haven't made coffee at home before besides some bad Keurig cups, so I'm excited to try this out.

French press was cheap, but grinders not so much. Every thread I find online is recommending $100+, I was thinking more $30 if that's possible? At that range it looks like I'm going manual . That shouldn't get too tiresome if Ill only be drinking 1-2 cups a day

Capresso Infinity

Depending on how tight the budget is you might splurge on this. I've had one for 7 or 8 months and make coffee with it at least once a day. It works great and produces pretty consistent grinds unless I try to go ultra fine which I don't.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

goodness posted:

If you're moving from Keurig and are doing French Press you can probably get by with a $30-40 flat burr grinder, but check reviews. French press is pretty forgiving in grind, but not so much you'd want to use a blade grinder. A more expensive grinder (like above) would be an investment you might want to make if you know you eventually want to move to additional brewing techniques and save $30-40 in the long run.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

goodness posted:

Check this one out:
Bassani Home Manual Ceramic Burr Coffee Bean Grinder 

I've had either this or one that looks exactly like it for about 2 years. (Someone bought it for me off my wish list so I can't go back and check for sure that it's the exact make/model.) It's worked great. Makes 1-2 cups at a time. It's also like the only arm workout I get these days. It's not too hard though. And if you want to grind more than 1 French press worth at a time, just dump it in a jar or something and grind more.

Mine didn't come with a great instruction manual, but you'll need to fiddle around with the parts a little before you get how they work. You can, and should, adjust the grind size by turning the gear thingy. Unfortunately it won't retain this when you take it apart to clean it... To be honest, I get around that by just not cleaning it super often.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got a wild hair from reading this thread recently so I bought a 3-cup Bialetti moka pot. I haven't been very pleased with the results though-- it's insanely bitter. I'm following the directions I found most often from googling around: hot water in the bottom of the pot to just below the valve, filter basket full, leveled but not tamped, on very low flame. I pull the pot when the color of the liquid turns lighter and then pour immediately. I've also tried cooling the bottom half down under cold running water but that didn't seem to matter.

The one variable I haven't been able to change is the actual coffee. I'm out of local roast at the moment so I'm using preground 8 o'clock. I know that's probably terrible, but I didn't think it would be this insanely bad. First chance I get I'll get some decent beans and getting a little coarser, but I'm pretty astonished. I'm not a picky person when it comes to this kind of stuff but it was undrinkable.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

RichterIX posted:

I got a wild hair from reading this thread recently so I bought a 3-cup Bialetti moka pot. I haven't been very pleased with the results though-- it's insanely bitter. I'm following the directions I found most often from googling around: hot water in the bottom of the pot to just below the valve, filter basket full, leveled but not tamped, on very low flame. I pull the pot when the color of the liquid turns lighter and then pour immediately. I've also tried cooling the bottom half down under cold running water but that didn't seem to matter.

The one variable I haven't been able to change is the actual coffee. I'm out of local roast at the moment so I'm using preground 8 o'clock. I know that's probably terrible, but I didn't think it would be this insanely bad. First chance I get I'll get some decent beans and getting a little coarser, but I'm pretty astonished. I'm not a picky person when it comes to this kind of stuff but it was undrinkable.

You might not like mokapot coffee. Mokapot is the method of preparation I use when I'm stuck with only cafe bustelo or random unmarked bags of grounds. And it comes out very drinkable.

It's not filter/drip coffee, so think espresso rather than your typical cup of brew for comparison.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 20, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

RichterIX posted:

You're probably doing it right. Italian people load it up with sugar.

Have you tried the preground coffee in a different preparation? If it's intolerable even as a basic pour over or french press then it will probably never be good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sextro posted:

You might not like mokapot coffee. Mokapot is the method of preparation I use when I'm stuck with only cafe bustelo or random unmarked bags of grounds. And it comes out very drinkable.

It's not filter/drip coffee, so think espresso rather than your typical cup of brew for comparison.

Mu Zeta posted:

You're probably doing it right. Italian people load it up with sugar.

Have you tried the preground coffee in a different preparation? If it's intolerable even as a basic pour over or french press then it will probably never be good.

I've tried it with both the 8 o'clock I had laying around and a new can of Cafe Bustelo which I hadn't opened yet, both of which I find tolerable in our drip coffee maker if we're out of the good stuff. I was expecting it to be more like espresso than coffee, but this isn't the strength that's bothering me, it's just an overpowering bitterness. Maybe I'll friend some milk and make a poor man's latte and see how that goes, but I can't imagine even milk and/or sugar being enough to cut the flavor I'm getting

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

RichterIX posted:

I've tried it with both the 8 o'clock I had laying around and a new can of Cafe Bustelo which I hadn't opened yet, both of which I find tolerable in our drip coffee maker if we're out of the good stuff. I was expecting it to be more like espresso than coffee, but this isn't the strength that's bothering me, it's just an overpowering bitterness. Maybe I'll friend some milk and make a poor man's latte and see how that goes, but I can't imagine even milk and/or sugar being enough to cut the flavor I'm getting

Bitterness doesn't necessarily have much to do with the particular brand or type of beans you're using, it's from the method (in this case, probably the grind size being too fine or too much extraction time). Check out the coffee compass: https://baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/ Bitterness is on the over extracted side of the map.

Moka pots can definitely make as good a cup as other methods, but I found it very sensitive to grind size - as in with my Baratza Encore I could taste the difference between two adjacent grind settings (and it's got like 40); I really had to do a lot of experimenting to get a good cup. Unfortunately with pre-ground there's not much you can do about the grind size, and other than water level and when you pull it off the heat, not much you can change in the brewing method. Try using less water or taking it off sooner, it may be that last section of brewing that's bringing all the bitterness to the cup.

That said there's still some roasts and varieties that I just don't like out of a Moka pot. It's almost like seeing the same beans through a different lens, and sometimes they just don't work. Can't hurt to experiment with a cheap bag though to see what other variables you can tune.

dedian fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 20, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I've always heard the grind for Moka should be about the consistency of table salt, and that's been accurate for my use at home (ends up being 1-2 stops into Medium from Fine on my Capresso Infinity), so I'd start at that coarseness personally since as others said the grind is your main vector for getting good coffee out of a Moka. You'd need to get it ground somewhere where you could specify that to the person grinding, though.

I love my Moka, personally, though I use my V60 and Chemex more these days. It makes for a really nicely concentrated cup for when I want something more espresso-y at home.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, when I get a chance I'll get some new beans. I was sort of hoping it'd be something I could use to get a nice cup out of cheap beans when I don't feel like doing a pour over or an aeropress (and maybe if I grind the cheap beans myself it will be) but preground seems like a bust.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
With a Mokapot if the grind is too fine it will struggle and the output will be flat. If there is any sediment in your cup you are waaay off; it needs to be much more coarse (or you have a crummy grinder I guess).

Mokapots are the best. If you have the Brika and do it right you get a good crema and an espresso-like mouth feel.

But yeah, if you want a big mug of coffee it is not really the right tool. Mokapot is more of an espresso substitute; you drink a small cup of it, not a mug full. Perfect with a drop of cream or half n half.

edit: Also, as with any maker, keep it clean. Every airbnb in Europe (every home in Europe?) has one and they always have an appalling layer of crud on every surface. A damp paper towel does wonders, or just rinse it after each use and you'll hardly need to ever do more.

other people fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

other people posted:

edit: Also, as with any maker, keep it clean. Every airbnb in Europe (every home in Europe?) has one and they always have an appalling layer of crud on every surface. A damp paper towel does wonders, or just rinse it after each use and you'll hardly need to ever do more.

The entire time I was traveling with mine in Italy, people kept saying to not clean it and just let it build up a coating inside; I was like "no thanks!" For whatever reason though, not cleaning it does seem to be the norm. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd much rather have a clean Moka.

Mine is a Pedrini, and I haven't seen another of that brand before or since receiving it. It was given to me by a friend of my dad's when I was visiting them in Belgium, but I have no idea where or when she got it. :shrug: Makes a good little 4oz or so cup though.