Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Austrian mook posted:

The same way any other loving person learns discipline because my parents weren't loving idiots and could act like loving adults when they were teaching me to be one. I know that this is off topic but please, please don't spank your children. Just because you turned out alright, that doesn't make anything okay.

Jesus christ, relax dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:siren: My girlfriend :siren: who is majoring in psychology had this to say on the matter when I asked about it via text yesterday:

quote:

Kids can be spanked as punishment but it's not a light punishment.

In 40 years our children are gonna be the idiots on Facebook. :ohdear:

Robot Girlfriend
May 23, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

:siren: My girlfriend :siren: who is majoring in psychology had this to say on the matter when I asked about it via text yesterday:
"Kids can be spanked as punishment but it's not a light punishment."
In 40 years our children are gonna be the idiots on Facebook. :ohdear:

Where on earth is your girlfriend getting her degree?

The American Psychological Association has come out against it. That 'spanking is bad m'kay' -outside of serious life or death situations- is extremely well accepted in psychology.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Robot Girlfriend posted:

The American Psychological Association has come out against it. That 'spanking is bad m'kay' -outside of serious life or death situations- is extremely well accepted in psychology.

From what I remember of college most psychology majors aren't exactly experts on human development or humans in general (as much as they tend to think they are). That's undergrad though, maybe it gets better in grad school. :shrug:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Robot Girlfriend posted:

I think that's kind of what his girlfriend meant. Like "don't do it, unless poo poo's SUPER serious". I'm no expert though, just how I read her text.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Robot Girlfriend posted:

That 'spanking is bad m'kay' -outside of serious life or death situations- is extremely well accepted in psychology.

I know you probably just worded that funny by mistake, but now I'm left wondering when the decision to spank your child or not would be a life or death situation.

"I have to spank little Timmy or HE'LL DIE!"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

nippythefish posted:

Jesus christ, relax dude.

I take that poo poo really seriously, I'm not sorry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chomp8645 posted:

I know you probably just worded that funny by mistake, but now I'm left wondering when the decision to spank your child or not would be a life or death situation.

Who is the assassin targetting President Palmer? *spank* TELL ME NOW

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I think life and death is like when your kid does some dumb kid poo poo like says the f word in front of grandma. That grandma could have died.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Childers B. Lace posted:

I think life and death is like when your kid does some dumb kid poo poo like says the f word in front of grandma. That grandma could have died.

Ok uh... I understand the text in your post. I am, however, at a complete loss when it comes to the image.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Who is the assassin targetting President Palmer? *spank* TELL ME NOW

Because of your avatar I imagined this line being yelled by Arnie and now I cannot stop laughing.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
shut up shut up shut up about spanking, go make a thread about it.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Austrian mook posted:

I take that poo poo really seriously, I'm not sorry.

You're not making the case for abolition of spanking if you insist on demonstrating that you have no "think before do" mechanism working for you.

e:

This is still traveling around, apparently.

nippythefish has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Jan 18, 2014

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I forgot to screenshot before I blocked her, but I had a crazy today. We both support the same organization, but I mentioned that said organization also supports something Bad along with Good things they do/support. I was clearly making it up and trying to ruin peoples' lives. I dug up old e-mails from the delegate/directors e-mail list and provided direct quotes, but I was just making that up too, because it's on the internet so it can't be true.

:suicide:

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Another "didn't get a screenshot before comments went bye-bye": In response to "Houston school board bans race-based mascots" on a mutual friend's timeline, a woman I don't know went off about how this was political correctness gone mad. Her comments were along the lines of "This is what happens when people go looking for things to be offended by! Nobody cared or complained about this stuff 10 years ago!"

I went to one of the schools mentioned in the article, and can recall at least one instance where a petition was circulated to change the teams' name. That was over twenty years ago. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new idea at the time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Serperoth posted:

I think that's kind of what his girlfriend meant. Like "don't do it, unless poo poo's SUPER serious". I'm no expert though, just how I read her text.

I'm reading it more as "rarely employed corporal punishment won't cause serious lasting damage". That's why you get people who were spanked that turned out fine. Still not a good idea, but one that can be occasionally used. Like rubbing a baby's gums with brandy when they are teething. If you are at your wits' end, suboptimal solutions are the ones that present themselves. But if you routinely default to suboptimal solutions, bad things are gonna happen.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
It has less to do with any lasting physical changes and more to do with physical punishment easily leading into beating your kid because you're angry or frustrated instead of because (s)he did something seriously bad.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

It's all of you. You are all idiots on social media.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
i spanked myself daily from ages 4-12 and I turned out fine. i have nothing to contribute. stop spanking your kids or be proud of it for being spanked you sick fucks

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 2, 2014

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Inspector Zenigata posted:

How do you people not understand that anecdotes aren't the same as statistical data. Saying that you were spanked but turned out fine is the same as saying you ate lead paint chips and turned out fine. Yeah, in your specific case it may or may not have had noticeable lasting deleterious side effects, but that doesn't mean that in general spanking has more negative side effects than positive ones so doing it to your kids is bad for them.

I never wear my seatbelt while driving and haven't died in a car crash! Therefore seatbelts aren't needed and seatbelt laws are infringing on ARE FREEDOMS!

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Parents who spank their children come across as very odd to me because by the time I was 10 I already associated spankings with sex just from consuming popular media.

I was never spanked but my dad did it to my brother once and it remains one of the most surreal things I've experienced.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Wizard of Smart posted:

It's all of you. You are all idiots on social media.

Go on...

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I was spanked as a child and now I enjoy spanking as an adult

Are these two related?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

dr E/N PhD. Dude, he knows his poo poo. :thejoke:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

NotAnArtist posted:

I was spanked as a child and now I enjoy spanking as an adult

Are these two related?

I don't know....is your mom hot?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I'm not pro-spanking, but it seems like it's always made in to a much larger issue than it actually is.

like "My god, you spank your kid? You are literally hitler, and your kid is going to grow up to be an abusive alcoholic serial killer"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spanking is as an effective tool as any physical punishment for kids.
Which is to say not very.

It gets instant results but it sure as hell does not do good for the child in the long run.

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.
Decided to check my Tea Party Community page to, you know, just check in and see if everyone was still super mad about everything.

Cry Paper
Cry Paper
Cry Paper
Cry Paper

Cry Paper
Cry Paper

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.
In an attempt to get us further away from the spanking derail, have this:

Not censoring names since it's a public page. Why exactly is this "advice" superimposed over Einstein?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

carnivaljunkie posted:

Not censoring names since it's a public page. Why exactly is this "advice" superimposed over Einstein?
Einstein was smart.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

VoilaIntruder posted:

Decided to check my Tea Party Community page to, you know, just check in and see if everyone was still super mad about everything.

Cry Paper
Cry Paper
Cry Paper
Cry Paper

Cry Paper
Cry Paper

I dunno but that last one is god drat hilarious

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Featuring George Soros as the cranky Wizard of Oz who watches you poop.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

nippythefish posted:

You're not making the case for abolition of spanking if you insist on demonstrating that you have no "think before do" mechanism working for you.

e:

This is still traveling around, apparently.

The carrier I work on gets a poo poo ton of Starbucks coffee mix and stuff.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, now. But what about before Zeb got this from about 560 different addresses? Huh, wiseguy?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, now. But what about before Zeb got this from about 560 different addresses? Huh, wiseguy?

But it's been this way since 2009! I think Starbucks just hates Marines (and rightfully so)

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

carnivaljunkie posted:

In an attempt to get us further away from the spanking derail, have this:

"I ain't sayin' she a gold digger, but she ain't messin' with no broke niggas."

- Albert Einstein

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Clochette posted:

"I ain't sayin' she a gold digger, but she ain't messin' with no broke niggas."

- Albert Einstein

And there you have the potential for the greatest meme thread ever: Inspirational photos of Albert Einstein with quotes from hiphop. Or metal. Death metal might be pretty good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"If you are a false, do not entry, because you will be burned and died"

-Albert Einstein

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"Forever trust in who you are, and nothing else matters."

- Albert Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"Do or do not. There is no try"

-Oliver Twist

• Locked thread