Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They're not making new versions of IE at least and haven't in quite a while. I haven't had to support it in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can't remember which ones, but some states unemployment app site requires IE.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Government software is absolutely insane though, as a tested requirement.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Is in the same states that can't find cobol engineers to work on their servers?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Thermopyle posted:

I can't remember which ones, but some states unemployment app site requires IE.

So if you don't have a windows computer you can't get unemployment? Tight.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

prom candy posted:

So if you don't have a windows computer you can't get unemployment? Tight.

Yeah it's great.

I can't remember which article it was but it was one of the recent spate of articles detailing how the recent unemployment rush is being dealt with by different states.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
We're in the perpetual circle of:
+1% of revenue comes from people using IE, so we support IE
Since we support IE, people continue to use it

I have noticed it has dropped quite a bit in the past month when people are either not at work or are working from home :thunk:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jimlit posted:

Is in the same states that can't find cobol engineers to work on their servers?

I believe it was some southern states, but I can't find the frickin article now.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Fuckin .,, if you’d told me in 1999 we would still be saying this in 2020

Works in edge chromium, though.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What's the best way of displaying a progress bar that fills itself linearly in N milliseconds? Is the best thing to update currentTime / N inside a requestAnimationFrame?

edit: more context. I'm using webmidi, and I've just pumped an array of midi events to an external device. The furthest-flung midi event occurs in N milliseconds. I want the progress bar to complete when the midi events have completed - ie, after N ms. Observations so far: using requestAnimationFrame causes the progress bar to stay empty until the midi output has finished. After that, it jumps to full more or less instantly. Using setInterval has the similar results when the interval is small (<100). setInterval updates 'correctly' when the interval is larger (say, 200ms), but then the progress bar lurches forward in visible chunks, rather than appearing animated.

Can CSS transitions / animations be fed a duration via JS? Other thoughts?

Newf fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 13, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Ajax is requesting data from inside an already delivered page via javascript. So, index.php serves up a page, and as part of that page there is:

code:
<script src="myAwesomeScript.js" />
That script handles the user's search, but instead of requesting a whole new page from the server, it makes a fetch to search.php on the server, and that PHP script returns JSON to so the javascript parses that and makes new elements or whatnot. The PHP could return HTML fragments as well I guess, but JSON is more common.

tl:dr;

index.php script serves up a full HTML page, which includes your javascript.
Javascript uses fetch to request data from a different PHP script which returns JSON or HTML fragments
Javascript sticks new content into the page that was originally served up by index.php.

On top of what lumpy said. You can use a template engine. If you use a template engine serverside, have the html in the response.

if you have the template clientside, you can use something like mustache.

I believe having this clientside templating make more sense and allow for simpler serverside code.. its generally faster development and cleaner code. imo.

---Clarification:

building html on javascript is very error prone and take a long time to write, and is hard to change, so avoid that. Using a template engine is better than manipulating the DOM or concatenating strings... so your AJAX better have the html created by a template serverside, or this ajax code can create it himself with a mustache template. Using mustache is in the end the best solution as it allow some clientside logic in the clientside, and it result on better everything. ymmv/tradeoff may apply

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 13, 2020

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Newf posted:

What's the best way of displaying a progress bar that fills itself linearly in N milliseconds? Is the best thing to update currentTime / N inside a requestAnimationFrame?

edit: more context. I'm using webmidi, and I've just pumped an array of midi events to an external device. The furthest-flung midi event occurs in N milliseconds. I want the progress bar to complete when the midi events have completed - ie, after N ms. Observations so far: using requestAnimationFrame causes the progress bar to stay empty until the midi output has finished. After that, it jumps to full more or less instantly. Using setInterval has the similar results when the interval is small (<100). setInterval updates 'correctly' when the interval is larger (say, 200ms), but then the progress bar lurches forward in visible chunks, rather than appearing animated.

Can CSS transitions / animations be fed a duration via JS? Other thoughts?
As usual, CSS Animation is the way to go. Since you seem to be saying that the duration of the progress bar is known up front, just set that as the animation-duration. Note that you must define @keyframes in CSS rather than HTML style properties, but the other animation properties can be set as HTML style properties. So, you can easily set animation-duration with JS. Also note that we're blanking out animation-name in the event listener to reset the animation state. (the fancy Web Animation API would be better but isn't well supported)

https://jsfiddle.net/2058vprn/

Bonus points if you know why we're resetting the animation-name with a requestAnimationFrame:
Synchronous changes to CSS animation made with JS must be recalculated and painted. If we just set animation-name to blank and back synchronously, nothing would happen because style, layout and paint don't have a chance to happen. The change must be rendered for it to "reset" and then we can change the name back again to retrigger the animation. (this is sort of a simplification) (also setTimeout/setInterval is the devil, never use setTimeout/setInterval for animation)

Super bonus points if you know why we're using a nested requestAnimationFrame inside of a requestAnimationFrame instead of a single rAF:
Safari is goofy and has rAF in a non-standard place in the event loop. A single rAF call would work in Safari because the CSS changes in the rAF will have a chance to recalculate and paint by the time the rAF actually triggers. Chrome and FF however have rAF timed differently in the event loop, and rAF happens pretty much immediately after the event callback, meaning that blanking the animation-name has not had time to render and reset the animation. https://youtu.be/cCOL7MC4Pl0?t=1384

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Anony Mouse posted:

Bonus points if you know why we're resetting the animation-name with a requestAnimationFrame:
Synchronous changes to CSS animation made with JS must be recalculated and painted. If we just set animation-name to blank and back synchronously, nothing would happen because style, layout and paint don't have a chance to happen. The change must be rendered for it to "reset" and then we can change the name back again to retrigger the animation. (this is sort of a simplification) (also setTimeout/setInterval is the devil, never use setTimeout/setInterval for animation)

Super bonus points if you know why we're using a nested requestAnimationFrame inside of a requestAnimationFrame instead of a single rAF:
Safari is goofy and has rAF in a non-standard place in the event loop. A single rAF call would work in Safari because the CSS changes in the rAF will have a chance to recalculate and paint by the time the rAF actually triggers. Chrome and FF however have rAF timed differently in the event loop, and rAF happens pretty much immediately after the event callback, meaning that blanking the animation-name has not had time to render and reset the animation. https://youtu.be/cCOL7MC4Pl0?t=1384

cool stuff!

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Anony Mouse posted:

As usual, CSS Animation is the way to go. Since you seem to be sayng that the duration of the progress bar is known up front, just set that as the animation-duration. Note that you must define @keyframes in CSS rather than HTML style properties, but the other animation properties can be set as HTML style properties. So, you can easily set animation-duration with JS. Also note that we're blanking out animation-name in the event listener to reset the animation state. (the fancy Web Animation API would be better but isn't well supported)

https://jsfiddle.net/2058vprn/

This is great, thanks. Not sure if there was a typo in your response, but my duration is not known in advance - the midi 'files' (arrays of timestamped noteon/off events) are loaded from server and are variable. I say typo because your answer didn't require me to know the duration in advance, which was exactly the concern I had with applying a CSS based solution.

Just perfect. Even the default fart duration smacks of consideration.

edit: I've had some trouble moving this into my own context, and I guess I this fiddle encapsulates my difficulty: https://jsfiddle.net/ewyjb8tz/1/

In short, the function animates the bar when it's called as a form submit, but not when called directly by a button's onclick. Thoughts?

edit2: Oh. I see what was wrong there - duration was being read from the form event. That's not what's wrong with my actual code, but I'll have another look...

edit3: on the off chance anyone cares or happens to see this, I was having lifecycle issues inside a vue component - was attempting to trigger the animation on an element that didn't yet exist.

Newf fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 16, 2020

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Newf posted:

This is great, thanks. Not sure if there was a typo in your response, but my duration is not known in advance - the midi 'files' (arrays of timestamped noteon/off events) are loaded from server and are variable. I say typo because your answer didn't require me to know the duration in advance, which was exactly the concern I had with applying a CSS based solution.

Just perfect. Even the default fart duration smacks of consideration.

edit: I've had some trouble moving this into my own context, and I guess I this fiddle encapsulates my difficulty: https://jsfiddle.net/ewyjb8tz/1/

In short, the function animates the bar when it's called as a form submit, but not when called directly by a button's onclick. Thoughts?

edit2: Oh. I see what was wrong there - duration was being read from the form event. That's not what's wrong with my actual code, but I'll have another look...

By "knowing the duration in advance" I simply mean knowing the duration of the animation at the moment in time you need to trigger it, since that is the only point in time it actually matters to know the duration. I don't mean knowing it at the time you build the app or anything - knowing it at run-time and setting it with JS is enough.

If the duration is unknown at the time you trigger the animation and you don't know at any point how long it will last, that is a different and more difficult problem.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for finding distance between two addresses? I have a PHP order form where I need to determine if the delivery location is within 50 miles. The Google Maps API?

Edit: I can check the address either on form submission (via PHP) or when they enter their delivery address (via JS) so either is fine.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for finding distance between two addresses? I have a PHP order form where I need to determine if the delivery location is within 50 miles. The Google Maps API?

Edit: I can check the address either on form submission (via PHP) or when they enter their delivery address (via JS) so either is fine.

Which kind of distance?

If you're looking for travel time (e.g. by car/truck) you could use the distance matrix api. This will give you the travel time distance.

For straight line distance, Google maps has a geocoding api. This will give you the latitude and longitude of the two points. You could then do something like:

code:
function haversine_distance(mk1, mk2) {
      var R = 3958.8; // Radius of the Earth in miles
      var rlat1 = mk1.position.lat() * (Math.PI/180); // Convert degrees to radians
      var rlat2 = mk2.position.lat() * (Math.PI/180); // Convert degrees to radians
      var difflat = rlat2-rlat1; // Radian difference (latitudes)
      var difflon = (mk2.position.lng()-mk1.position.lng()) * (Math.PI/180); // Radian difference (longitudes)

var d = 2 * R * Math.asin(Math.sqrt(Math.sin(difflat/2)*Math.sin(difflat/2)+Math.cos(rlat1)*Math.cos(rlat2)*Math.sin(difflon/2)*Math.sin(difflon/2)));
      return d;
    }
to get straight line distance.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

If you're looking for travel time (e.g. by car/truck) you could use the distance matrix api. This will give you the travel time distance.

That looks like it, I need driving distance. I'll have to finally setup a Google maps api account. Haven't worked with it since it was free.

Thanks for the help.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Violator posted:

That looks like it, I need driving distance. I'll have to finally setup a Google maps api account. Haven't worked with it since it was free.

Thanks for the help.

it's still mostly free for low usage/dev/testing

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Microsoft Azure has a similar api and Here maps has one as well, shop around a bit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Open street maps is an option too

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Grimes posted:

Hey goons. I'm a CS student in a full-stack web development course, and due to COVID-19, everything is being delivered online and it's a bit more watered down. I'm working on a project that's worth 20% of my final grade, and it requires the use of AJAX to dynamically load content. We haven't really had the opportunity to properly learn AJAX, so I'm struggling a little bit with how to conceptually structure my code.

My goal is to have an index.php main page and have dynamic content load into a div that represents the main viewing-port of the browser. So if someone clicks 'Search', the div will show a search bar + results, or if they click 'Contact', it'll display the contact form. I'm confused about how I should actually proceed to load this content. My idea right now is to have a script on my index.php which will do an 'include' with the relevant php when the user requests different pages, and then use AJAX within that php to load things like search results, but I'm hazy about how I should handle the javascript associated with those individual php pages. Should I load them all into index.php, or open a <script> tag and use $.getScript within each individual php I'm including? Please verbally abuse me and enlighten me on how to properly handle this super basic poo poo :pray:.

Also, another reason to use a template engine like MustacheJS is because just concatenating HTML directly into the browser from javascript is a SUPER BAD IDEA.

It opens you up to what is called a Cross-Site-Scripting (XSS) attack. Just play this game to learn more: https://xss-game.appspot.com/.
The template engines pretty much take care of those vulnerabilities for you.

Not using a template engine probably wouldn't lose you points in your CS course, but it would get you fired from your job if I was your boss. So best to learn about it now.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or don't care that much because if I had a CS degree I would stay way the gently caress away from web dev.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Map box is another option that has a good free tier iirc.

https://www.mapbox.com

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Gildiss posted:

Or don't care that much because if I had a CS degree I would stay way the gently caress away from web dev.

Rip getting a job doing anything other than web dev unless you want to do app dev... which is somehow worse.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If you are young and have a lot of time in your hands, theres a lot of cool technologies you can byte for fun and profit.

Chatbots, machine learning (yea, I know), light API's, ...

Some are web, some are not. Many uses JSON to transfer data between applications, because is convenient.

You dont have to make CRUD forms for user_table and customers_bill in HTML with ... Angular or Jquery or whatever they kids use now. You could burrow youself below the server and touch the magical cool kids technologies and have fun and look sexy to the ladies by making stuff that make you look handsome.

"I made a login system that scan your face and automatically open a door" is a better intro in parties, I think... And the technology for these things (machine learning) is just now in a stage that is relativelly easy to get into. From that point you can plan moving to other area with better pay and more stability, whatever that may be.. but only once you are old and dead inside.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tei posted:

but only once you are dead inside.

can definitely recommend working in webdev for reaching this a bit quicker

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thanks for all of the map suggestions, several of them look promising. I like Mapbox's generous free tier.

Any new fancy recommended ways of showing a client a site in progress for review? I've always deployed the in-development site onto a test domain for the client to see, but are there any other best practices? I charge them for the test server and domain, but I'm not sure how other people do it? I'm currently using a DigitalOcean droplet with virtual hosts as my test server, so it's pretty cheap and easy to setup.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011

Violator posted:

Thanks for all of the map suggestions, several of them look promising. I like Mapbox's generous free tier.

Any new fancy recommended ways of showing a client a site in progress for review? I've always deployed the in-development site onto a test domain for the client to see, but are there any other best practices? I charge them for the test server and domain, but I'm not sure how other people do it? I'm currently using a DigitalOcean droplet with virtual hosts as my test server, so it's pretty cheap and easy to setup.

You can use ngrok instead but setting up a test domain is easy enough. I would just include it in the price upfront without billing it though.

Just don't forget to put basic auth or something similar on the test site to keep it confidential/ not indexed by bots.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Anyone have experience with Bit? I tried the Vue tutorial and in the end I don't think it works correctly. When viewing it on the website, I had to set engine to Vue (it was defaulted to React), but even then it looks like the styling didn't take effect.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Apologies if this question should go in the SQL thread or the AWS thread or somewhere else, as I'm so unfamiliar with terms that I don't know where to start looking to learn what to ask:

I manage an inhouse Access database that frontends a SQL Server and also has it's own backend, both of which I part-designed. Both are pretty simple. I want to export part of the data onto the internet so that a person could go to a website, type in two different numbers (combo primary keys in the db) that have been provided by a human in my office, and get the website to spit out the data associated with those keys in a fairly readable format (it's all text, dates, and y/n boxes). Users would not be able to interact with the data, just look it up and read it. New data will be manual upload by me or someone in my office. The website doesn't even need to look pretty or useable because I don't want people to know what they are looking at unless they've been told - it could just be two blank boxes that numbers go into, and if you type the right ones in, the next screen spits out the report.

The database is something I think I understand - AWS or Azure or ? provide various free/cheap database services and I think I understand how to set those up and get SQL Server pointed at them for data migration (and I might be able to get help from IT if I have questions). What I don't understand AT ALL is the website part. The last website I built was when I was in college in 2000 using Frontend and my memory is of naming the homepage "index". I think I need to build a web app(?) to be the website and database viewer but I don't know if I need to learn PHP/python/HTML/etc, if there are easier methods or a sort of "Access for websites" where I can drag and drop bits, or something else entirely. I've tried searching but most of the guides seem to assume I'm already used to some programming or web development or whatever, and I have zero understanding - it's just completely unfamiliar and I don't really have the time/bandwidth to pick something really off-base.

Total appreciation for any help or guidance. If it matters, I have free access to Orielly stuff until July (at least), so if there's some book or course there, I can go through it.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
If the data is small enough (say <1-2MB) then just bake the data into the HTML page along with some JavaScript to do the filter + display client side. Then you just host the static HTML on AWS S3 for pennies, no muss no fuss, no need to manage a website or RDS DB. You'd have to learn some HTML and JavaScript, but it's dead simple to write, someone here could probably knock it out in 10 minutes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

minato posted:

If the data is small enough (say <1-2MB) then just bake the data into the HTML page along with some JavaScript to do the filter + display client side. Then you just host the static HTML on AWS S3 for pennies, no muss no fuss, no need to manage a website or RDS DB. You'd have to learn some HTML and JavaScript, but it's dead simple to write, someone here could probably knock it out in 10 minutes.

This is a good idea if is feasible, because you can test it on your desktop until it runs how you want it to run. And then if it works, is a matter to upload the files somewhere.

Only problem I see with this approach is privacy. No session / login screen to protect these files.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, this doesn't take into account any security considerations. Is this data sensitive in any way? Do you care if someone is able to look up the data without getting the access IDs, or getting data associated with different access IDs than they were given? Because if the data is baked into the HTML or Javascript, then anyone can just View Source and see it all.

Plus if it's not tied directly to the DB, the data won't be up-to-date with the database contents; it'll just reflect whatever was in it when you first put it together. Maybe that's not important to you, but if it is, it needs to be part of the design.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 17, 2020

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The data would probably be under a couple MB at start but I haven't confirmed, so the HTML/Javascript idea would work, but I think I would get pushback if view source was all it took to see everything. The data is quasi-public in that anyone can ask for it but we don't fling it out into the world, and I'm trying to get a sort of in-between state, otherwise I could dump everything into a spreadsheet and stick in on a website which we use). That said, I don't want to get into session/login stuff either because that's too much for us; if someone figures out how to rip all of the data then ok, enjoy boredom, but I would like at least a visible speed bump to the people would be interested in the info, even if it's a speed bump that you can drive 30 mph over without problems. Essentially, security would be an account#+PIN system where the account# is easy to look up and 100% public info and the PIN would be managed in the internal db - if someone manages to steal all the PINs it won't be a problem (I think) and the intended audience is highly unlikely to have the skills necessary to perform any real attacks, but could probably figure out viewing the source.

It not being up to date isn't a concern, as it won't talk to the internal DB - I envision a weekly refresh through a manual upload. But I also fantasize about this eventually looking up data from more than 1 table of data (ie actually having a relational DB in the background) so ideally it will have the capacity to do more; our Access DB was designed around one very specific task but has expanded significantly because the design of that task allowed for a lot of other features, and I'd like to pursue that flexibility, even if much more limited. I have some limited experience in SSMS and may be able to get help with SSRS if that's a tool I should consider.

The HTML/Javascript suggestions are useful, thanks. I might putter through some of the courses on those to at least get beyond the literal turn of the century.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for finding developers to help with projects? I build mostly in Laravel nowadays and sometimes I have things that are too complicated for me to tackle in a timely manner or I have too much to do and having someone else to help would be terrific. Plus having new views on things would be nice since I'm pretty isolated just doing my own thing so I'm not super connect to exciting new ways or best practices for doing things. I've always assumed job boards are terrible, posting to one of those sites where random people bid on projects sounds like a race to the bottom, and reaching out to people on twitter hasn't worked out. Outside of joining more communities and posting (like this LOL) I'm not sure what people do nowadays to find good contractors to help.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm a freelancer who does the sort of work you're talking about (except I don't do PHP), and I don't know where people find developers to help them other than Ye Olde Networking.

Over the past, say, 5 years 100% of my work has come from people I know IRL or on the internet (including a couple from this very forum).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are there any local-ish slack or discord communities you can look to?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Over the past, say, 5 years 100% of my work has come from people I know IRL or on the internet (including a couple from this very forum).

Yeah, IRL connections is where I've gotten all of my work but I'm not so good with mingling with other devs.

The Dave posted:

Are there any local-ish slack or discord communities you can look to?

Ah, that's a good idea. I'll see what I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I have been fuzzing a web server I work on with Pathoc (super fun btw), and I discovered that if you do, for example,

code:
GET / 9HTTP/1.1
it causes the server to respond with raw html over TLS, no HTTP response status line whatsoever.

If you do, e.g.
code:
GET / H9TTP/1.1
it returns an HTTP 505 error, as you would expected. Similar f'ed up HTTP requests also cause 400 Bad Requests.

Should this even be considered a bug that's worth fixing?

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 18, 2020