Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I'd love a soulsborne game with the Castlevania monsters and aesthetic. You could have all kinds of shenanigans with the story, since Dracula's castle is already magical so there could be some wild set pieces and monsters / characters from all games over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They made one with got dang pinocchio

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the souls engine is perfect for castlevania even if the games themselves diverge from the formula pretty hard. my first playthrough of dark souls recalled my childhood attempts at castlevania 3 more than any other game ive played

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Anonymous Robot posted:

They made one with got dang pinocchio

And it was really good!! Shame about the title. Lies of P is apparently a pun in Korean but man is it awful in English.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest that may be part of why I disagree so hard. I really don't feel like Dark Souls stages are about pattern recognition, outside of the pattern recognition of "There's probably going to be a guy behind this alcove because it would be the most annoying place to put him." They feel pretty comfortable to go through by the seat of your pants and really only punish you if you get greedy/lazy outside of the occasional troll. They always feel more akin to like... dungeon crawlers to me. I mentally slot them far closer to a Wizardry than a Castlevania.

What the gently caress are you some kind of god gamer. Pattern recognition is like all of the bosses. It's not the same kind of like, dance pattern you'd get from like ff14, but it's still getting clowned, realizing the sequence that got you clowned, coming up with a solution, recognizing it in the heat of the moment, and the executing the solution correctly*. Dunno how that's not pattern recognition.

* and dying anyway because it's a variation.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I feel like Souls games would have totally been up my alley when I was in college and only had enough money to play a few games a year so having challenging ones I constantly worked on was great. Nowadays I'm too old, my reaction time is garbage and I won't play a game that doesn't let me pause (online games aside).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

I feel like Souls games would have totally been up my alley when I was in college and only had enough money to play a few games a year so having challenging ones I constantly worked on was great. Nowadays I'm too old, my reaction time is garbage and I won't play a game that doesn't let me pause (online games aside).

im sorry to hear about your brain damage

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Souls are online games

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Sakurazuka posted:

Souls are online games

Only for plebs that summon people

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

itskage posted:

What the gently caress are you some kind of god gamer. Pattern recognition is like all of the bosses. It's not the same kind of like, dance pattern you'd get from like ff14, but it's still getting clowned, realizing the sequence that got you clowned, coming up with a solution, recognizing it in the heat of the moment, and the executing the solution correctly*. Dunno how that's not pattern recognition.

* and dying anyway because it's a variation.

I said stages, not bosses. Bosses are absolutely pattern recognition.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I said stages, not bosses. Bosses are absolutely pattern recognition.

stages are more about enemy placement memorization, which is also the case for castlevania games. i think theyre quite similar

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah the "never pausing, always online" poo poo annoys me. Fortunately, Elden Ring's PvP invasion stuff is completely opt in, and there actually IS a secret pause if you open the inventory menu and press the "show tutorial" button. You should give it a try, it'll probably be on a good sale when the DLC drops soon. You can also use whips, throwing knives, holy water, and a boomerang cross spell and it's a very viable and fun build.

scary ghost dog posted:

stages are more about enemy placement memorization, which is also the case for castlevania games. i think theyre quite similar

Agreed

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
The good thing about souls games is they autosave constantly. So if you gotta pause, you can at least quit to menu and start right back where you were.
Unless someone invaded you, which is annoying sometimes. That's why I usually never used humanity or joined certain covenants

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Monkey D. Racula

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only difference between a souls game and a 3d castlevania is the latter lets you attack faster, dodge more often and don't generally have mobs that can two-hit kill you. Also their soundtracks are better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah the "never pausing, always online" poo poo annoys me. Fortunately, Elden Ring's PvP invasion stuff is completely opt in, and there actually IS a secret pause if you open the inventory menu and press the "show tutorial" button. You should give it a try, it'll probably be on a good sale when the DLC drops soon. You can also use whips, throwing knives, holy water, and a boomerang cross spell and it's a very viable and fun build.

Agreed

I've got it, just couldn't get into it. I also got Baldurs Gate 3 at the same time though and got way more into that.

I did know about the "secret" pause menu but most of my pausing in games comes from "100 pound German Shepherd decided she's a lap dog suddenly" and I can't always see the screen haha.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
elden ring is significantly less of a castlevania game than dark souls or bloodborne anyway

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

The only difference between a souls game and a 3d castlevania is the latter lets you attack faster, dodge more often and don't generally have mobs that can two-hit kill you. Also their soundtracks are better.
Yeah Castlevania has always been some level of gaudy and the Soulsborne games make it a priority to be downbeat and moody. I'd like to see one that splits the difference -- classic monsters and set-ups from Castlevania but with a Soulsborne sorrow and pacing. Probably wouldn't sell though.

scary ghost dog posted:

im sorry to hear about your brain damage
Hey I resemble that remark..

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you want to fight a gritty werewolf Bloodborne is right there, idk why you're playing Castlevania is you don't want catchy upbeat music and demon maids with funny voice lines

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Castlevania has always been some level of gaudy and the Soulsborne games make it a priority to be downbeat and moody. I'd like to see one that splits the difference -- classic monsters and set-ups from Castlevania but with a Soulsborne sorrow and pacing. Probably wouldn't sell though.

Hey I resemble that remark..

thats bloodborne. even has a mazelike clock tower level filled with bobbleheaded aliens

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I feel like there's room in the Soulsborne genre to experiment a bit with tone. I'd be down with a Souls-like game that still has that Castlevania gothic camp garishness to it

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

So many of the 2D ones are already all dark, depressing, gritty, or some kind of combination of those. It sucks.

Wonderlabrynth is such an exception.

A more upbeat souls-like would be interesting to me, but dammit the 2D ones need it too.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I would much rather have a normal CV game because there's countless other souls-like games as it has infected every genre like a plague.

Not that Konami cares enough either way.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i would love a repackaged old castlevania game at this point

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Would love a remake of rondo or 3 in the style of those recent Natsume remakes. Just top notch sprite work

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Man I would kill for another game like the DS vania titles. Old favs all around.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dracula x chronicles on pc would be the poo poo but alas

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It would be cool if the Vampire Survivors folks licensed their IP to someone so they could make a Vampire Survivors themed metroidvania. Or if they did it themselves. It seems like a more realistic hope than actually getting a new castlevania.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Is there any point to using the Vampire Survivors IP for a Castlevania clone over making your own? Feels like there wouldn't be much IP recognition when the characters and items are basically not-Castlevania already. Maybe the name.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

itskage posted:

So many of the 2D ones are already all dark, depressing, gritty, or some kind of combination of those. It sucks.

Wonderlabrynth is such an exception.

A more upbeat souls-like would be interesting to me, but dammit the 2D ones need it too.

Would Another Crab's Treasure qualify? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1887840/Another_Crabs_Treasure/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Another Crab's Treasure rules.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just beat Castlevania II in 6 days, 14 hours, and 24 minutes on the status menu clock and got the good ending. When they say "complete the game in 7 days or less," did I have less than 10 hours left or did I have a bit under 1 day and 10 hours left?

I knew the process for winning the game and had played about halfway through it a couple of times on real hardware, but it was my first time actually beating it. I didn't think I had a shot at getting the good ending because the timing seemed pretty tight. It turns out that the thing that makes it possible is that time doesn't pass while indoors, and I could spend some time grinding out hearts and level ups in the mansions.

Although I used a map and bound a shoulder button on my controller to rewind, I thought it was pretty fun. Or maybe because I used those things it was pretty fun. The game is pretty maligned, because I guess everyone watched that ancient AVGN video, but I don't think it's really deserved. I really like the genre of early side scrolling exploration games that started to exist on the NES and while it doesn't hit the highs of say Legacy of the Wizard, I like the theming, music, backgrounds, and atmosphere a lot.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Way to go! Yeah, 2 is unfairly maligned and I think it's partially cause it was so different from the first one. That was an era where developers hadn't yet settled in the market logic that every have sequel had to be identical to its predecessor, so you ended up getting these cool but flawed experiments, line Castlevania 2, Zelda 2, Mario 2 (in the US, at least).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I absolutely love how some characters in that game lie to you, or tell you to gently caress off, or talk about the mangled rumors they hear that may or may not be true

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

I absolutely love how some characters in that game lie to you, or tell you to gently caress off, or talk about the mangled rumors they hear that may or may not be true

Yeah NPCs feel like they're giving info from a D&D rumor table. Is it true? Is it false? Who knows! This illiterate and highly superstitious peasant seems to believe it!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

The game is pretty maligned, because I guess everyone watched that ancient AVGN video, but I don't think it's really deserved.
There's definitely aspects of the game that are inscrutable. But I had access to Nintendo Power Issue #2.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Funny thing is still that the Graveyard Duck thing is faithful to the Japanese, it just seems to be a really weird inside joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
shame about the level design and the two and a half boss fights