Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any alternate stop-gap phones if the 2015 G isn't available in your country yet? This Galaxy Nexus is killing me and I need something better until new flagship or Z5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone is interested, this is the extent of the software loadout on a Pure out of the box.

That's one app less than the Moto G. :awesome:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Well not quite

Currently the only way to get root on marshmallow is to flash a custom kernel with selinux disabled, and then use one of the standard nexus root methods

Until M is released properly and someone like chainfire figures out a way around it, that will be the same for the new nexus phones

Yeah, I totally forgot about SELinux.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whizbang posted:

Reverse Centaur gets weirdly fixated against certain devices for some reason. See also him sperging out whenever someone mentions the Moto 360 in the watch thread.

What is this garbage? I owned a 360 before almost everyone on this site. I think it's overrated, that's all. Clearly I made you feel bad about your purchase, but suck it up and don't make it personal.

And I've said from the start the iPhone is the frontrunner.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

uPen posted:

The G4's camera app is awful garbage though, so it's a shame there's nice hardware behind it.

Really? Seemed fine when I played with it. Its manual mode was really useful, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm currently not so sure what to think about the 6P. In black it looks less offensive than the variations with lighter color bodies. However there's no indication as to how they're dealing with the 810. Sony was being hilarious and put heat pipes in their Z5 Premium.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450641980"]
Really? Seemed fine when I played with it. Its manual mode was really useful, too.

Camera app is totally fine, dunno what he's talking about.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm currently not so sure what to think about the 6P. In black it looks less offensive than the variations with lighter color bodies. However there's no indication as to how they're dealing with the 810. Sony was being hilarious and put heat pipes in their Z5 Premium.

I wonder if the marketing teams have tried selling the 810 as a hand-warmer feature in colder climates

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The worst part about the 810 is we're only a couple months away from the 820 which looks to be a return to form for Qualcomm.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
LG is making some great hardware. It's too bad their software is even worse than Touchwiz. I have high hopes for their Nexus!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone is interested, this is the extent of the software loadout on a Pure out of the box.

Oh my god that's beautiful.

(Have you found the Lenovo spyware yet?:tinfoil:)

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 25, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
This seems to have gone somewhat unnoticed (guess everyone is using Nova) but the Google app update that got pushed yesterday changed the app launcher to be vertically scrolling with a search bar and group of commonly used apps at the top. Wasn't expecting to see that until Marshmallow came out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I was about to bring that up. I did some Googling this morning because I thought my kids had done something with my phone. I had no idea it was due to the update. It's a little weird to scroll vertically again, but hopefully it'll seem natural in a few days.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Any word on real-world availability of the 16GB Moto G? I heard that it had sold out, and Best Buy only had the 8GB on hand.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

This seems to have gone somewhat unnoticed (guess everyone is using Nova) but the Google app update that got pushed yesterday changed the app launcher to be vertically scrolling with a search bar and group of commonly used apps at the top. Wasn't expecting to see that until Marshmallow came out.

FistEnergy posted:

I was about to bring that up. I did some Googling this morning because I thought my kids had done something with my phone. I had no idea it was due to the update. It's a little weird to scroll vertically again, but hopefully it'll seem natural in a few days.

Hold down on the Apps button when on the Home screen and you can go directly to the search bar in the drawer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ha, I was right.

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/25/blackberry-priv-official/

Priv is intended to stand for Privacy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TollTheHounds posted:

I have to admit, with this name change my resolve to buy this phone is waning. It seems like such a dumb "straw that broke the camels back" but it just...it's so so bad.

bull3964 posted:

Ha, I was right.

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/25/blackberry-priv-official/

Priv is intended to stand for Privacy.

I really hated the Priv name at first but I think I may be coming around to it. "Priv", rhymes with "shiv".

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My note 2 is getting old.. I need a replacement.
I guess they don't make the phone I want anymore

Removable battery, microsd, excellent camera, APT-x bluetooth support, rootable or tetherable. The Nexus 6 is closest but no apt-x bluetooth support.. How is the sound quality?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

redeyes posted:

Removable battery, microsd, excellent camera, APT-x bluetooth support, rootable or tetherable. The Nexus 6 is closest but no apt-x bluetooth support.. How is the sound quality?

LG G4 ticks all your boxes I guess.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any appreciable difference in the screens between the different Note 5 and S6 models? With the Gear VR announcement it's time to replace my original Moto X (that's treated me very well!). Googling around some people are saying there are minor benefits going S6 vs. Note 5 for screen door effect and FOV, but aren't they pretty much the same drat thing?

I don't use my phone for much so don't care about most features/nitpicks, just want a VR toy along with a screen/battery/performance refresh. Easy answer seems to be to go grab a new Note. (TIA for any words of wisdom.)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

teh_Broseph posted:

Is there any appreciable difference in the screens between the different Note 5 and S6 models? With the Gear VR announcement it's time to replace my original Moto X (that's treated me very well!). Googling around some people are saying there are minor benefits going S6 vs. Note 5 for screen door effect and FOV, but aren't they pretty much the same drat thing?

I don't use my phone for much so don't care about most features/nitpicks, just want a VR toy along with a screen/battery/performance refresh. Easy answer seems to be to go grab a new Note. (TIA for any words of wisdom.)

Note 5 has a 4KQuad HD display so you'd be really hard pressed to detect any screen door effect.

edit: Although, really, the S6 and the Note 5 both have the same resolution. S6 has 577 ppi versus the Note 5's 518 ppi.

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 25, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

axeil posted:

That's what I was getting with the Galaxy S4. Now I'm probably able to get around 3 or 4 hours of SoT before I hit 20% in a given day.

I worked from home yesterday and had around 3 hours of screen on time and my phone was still at around 30 or 40% when I went to bed at midnight. This was after being unplugged from about 8 AM onwards. My S4 wouldn't even get close to that.

Really am baffled by the folks who said the battery on the MXP sucked.

Not sure if you mean Pure or Play, but if that's the play, that's pretty shocking battery life (worse than my N5) for a big old 3600maH battery. And on a fresh battery too.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the battery life in the Pure. I am sure that Verizon has Moto in some kind of exclusivity contract where all the big battery phones have to be DROIDs or whatever, but 3000 mAh just isn't enough for a 5.7" LCD. I'd be very surprised if this phone could get 4 hours of SoT.

That being said I really like it otherwise and I am pretty much always near a charger so :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't had an issue. It gets pretty similar battery life to my Turbo.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So we're starting to get some info leaks in the new nexus phones. Had there been anything substantiated on a new tablet SKU? I'm kind of chomping at the bit for a Nexus 7 hardware refresh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rastor posted:

I really hated the Priv name at first but I think I may be coming around to it. "Priv", rhymes with "shiv".

And wank rhymes with shank

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DeathSandwich posted:

So we're starting to get some info leaks in the new nexus phones. Had there been anything substantiated on a new tablet SKU? I'm kind of chomping at the bit for a Nexus 7 hardware refresh.

Starting? The two new nexus phones have been leaking like a sieve since early summer.

There likely is not a new tablet this year. There was one piece of info a month or so back that a blog latched on to as proof of an 8 inch Nexus tablet, but it was pretty flimsy and hasn't popped up anywhere else.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

baka kaba posted:

And wank rhymes with shank

:rimshot:

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Moto X Pure (USA only), and the Moto X Style (UK).
Locked bootloader, inability to flash a factory rom or XDA rom, bundled software?

Any hardware differences?

I might yet jump on board depending on how the N5x / N6p look, though screw pre-ordering one.

It's worrying that they've given it a different name, with no detail on how many of the promises about the Pure apply to the Style - plus a ~2 month delay in release for some reason.

My biggest stopper in getting an iPhone right now is the annoyance of having to push a physical button about 2000 times a day just to switch apps - well, that and the crap 3rd party keyboard support.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wooger posted:

My biggest stopper in getting an iPhone right now is the annoyance of having to push a physical button about 2000 times a day just to switch apps - well, that and the crap 3rd party keyboard support.

With the 6S and 6S Plus you can press hard from the left side of the screen to swipe the app into the app switching card stack.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Red Warrior posted:

I guess the only way to switch it back is by using Nova?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Which sucks. The N7 2013 is getting long in the tooth and the newer nexus tablets have been pretty bad.

Maybe I'll just go N6P and use that as a reader as well as phone. But then Huawei.
Gar, this year's selection is meh.

And yeah, 820 seems to be fairly soon and a big jump.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Airborne Viking posted:

You'll get used to it within a day or so and then swiping left and right will feel wrong

I've gone from a n5 with m, to a moto g stopgap. So I'd got used to vertical, then had to go back to horizontal, now it's back vertical again!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wooger posted:

:rimshot:

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Moto X Pure (USA only), and the Moto X Style (UK).

My understanding is that the Style would be offered through carriers in other countries but would otherwise be the same phone. I really don't know though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Who's lined up to early-adopt the Snapdragon 820 for their devices? It might be a lot longer than two months before we ever get to see it in continents other than Asia.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

wooger posted:

They are the same device.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Airborne Viking posted:

Likely yes. Which is sad. I like the Google launcher but my thumbs move more smoothly side to side than up and down. Not to mention muscle memory. Ugh.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

redeyes posted:

I jumped from a Note 2 to the Moto X Pure and am very happy - it has everything you list except for a removable battery. The turbo charging is really good though, so I don't find myself worrying about power.

Here's something that says the Pure has APT-x: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x-style/help/apt-x-support-t3206072

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Google Launcher needs to start allowing icon packs so I can ditch Xposed GEL Settings since that breaks with every update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Who's lined up to early-adopt the Snapdragon 820 for their devices? It might be a lot longer than two months before we ever get to see it in continents other than Asia.

Reports just the other day is that Samsung may launch the GS7 as soon as February and there's at least one spotted variant with the 820 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the battery life in the Pure. I am sure that Verizon has Moto in some kind of exclusivity contract where all the big battery phones have to be DROIDs or whatever, but 3000 mAh just isn't enough for a 5.7" LCD. I'd be very surprised if this phone could get 4 hours of SoT.

That being said I really like it otherwise and I am pretty much always near a charger so :shrug:

4 hours of SoT is about what I get. That's almost 4 times as much as I got on my S4. I'm ecstatic, you guys are all just spoiled and haven't seen the pain of being on an old phone.