Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So many streaky edges, and just short of the fielder, and dodgy little shuffles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cook was like that even when he was good tbf

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Cook was pretty good about five years ago, when he made that double ton in Australia

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Runs basically don't even count unless you score them in Australia, tbh.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It was a weird series. He has always been vulnerable with his footwork early in his innings but he was just unstoppable. Like Australia played badly sure but Cook was a beast.

Every other time he has played in Australia his obvious flaws have hurt him. Like in a lot of ways he has a terrible style for Australia. He pulls on the up for example which is a lot harder to do in Australia.

Still he was insanely good that series.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He seems to have found his stumps again at least, even if the rest of his technique is still dodgy. His general timing still seems out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

He seems to have found his stumps again at least, even if the rest of his technique is still dodgy. His general timing still seems out.

Chasing everything outside off too much. I think its because theres a fear he gets bogged down a lot if you bowl wide since hes such a leg side favourable batsman. So hes trying to combat that by being aggressive outside off, which means he just feathers an edge to slip.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

It was a weird series. He has always been vulnerable with his footwork early in his innings but he was just unstoppable. Like Australia played badly sure but Cook was a beast.

Every other time he has played in Australia his obvious flaws have hurt him. Like in a lot of ways he has a terrible style for Australia. He pulls on the up for example which is a lot harder to do in Australia.

I remember in the lead up to that series his position was really shaky, he was considered a weak point for England, and if he failed in the first test he would have likely been dropped.

Then he batted and batted and batted.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have they fixed the whole team being hook-happy yet?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor Cave posted:

I remember in the lead up to that series his position was really shaky, he was considered a weak point for England, and if he failed in the first test he would have likely been dropped.

Then he batted and batted and batted.

My fave moment of the series was saying i'd go to bed when the next wicket fell after Strauss got out.

Then i was up for 2 days.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

He scored like 700 runs that series didn't he? That would have to be the best series I've ever seen from an opposition batsman over here. We just couldn't get him out.

EDIT: Looked it up, 766 runs, gently caress me. That's insane.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

My fave moment of the series was saying i'd go to bed when the next wicket fell after Strauss got out.

Then i was up for 2 days.

Fortunately Katich got out pretty quickly

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was one of the interesting things during the 13/14 ashes. Cook was right in the sense he couldn't just sit back and allow Johnson to bowl bouncer after bouncer. Stokes had some success playing square on the up. I think in a lot of ways Cook was doing the right thing when he tried pulling Johnson (lol). Its just he wasn't picking his moments.

Honestly England lost every key moment. Carberry dropping haddin at Adelaide was a massive moment. Was that the test match where Warner took a miracle catch ??

The one that comes to mind is Melbourne where Haddin just rolled the dice on an lbw review that looked absolutely plum because why not and it was overturned. England went from a big lead potentially to a small one. Crickets a bullshit game in a lot of ways because the reverse happened to Australia the series before.

Smith iirc copped a terrible caught behind drs. Smith is interesting. He was part of Lehmanns plan to stop Swann. It was pretty genius. Replace fringe left handers like Hughes and Khawaja with fringe right handers like Smith and Bailey.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Shmoses posted:

He scored like 700 runs that series didn't he? That would have to be the best series I've ever seen from an opposition batsman over here. We just couldn't get him out.

Fifth best in ashes series.

Bradman
Hammond
Taylor
Bradman
Cook.

Bradmans record is almost 1000 runs. So I don't think that will be beat. I can't see anyone scoring 974 runs or more in a 5 test series.

Edit

Smith scored 769 runs in a 4 test series against India batting insanely well. He would have still needed another two hundred runs to best Bradman.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 23, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shmoses posted:

It wasn't just him though, it was like his ability to just bat and bat inspired other players to be a bit riskier with their shots. After all no-ones getting Cook out so one end is safe. That meant people like Pieterson, Bell and Prior could smack balls around and get the run rate a lot higher than it would normally be.

But really the defining moment of that series is still the first game. England all out for 250 odd, Australia put on nearly 500. 5 Sessions to bowl England out and reach whatever meagre lead they get. Then Cook and Strauss put on 200 for the first wicket, out comes Trott and they just bat Australia out of the series.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bradman
Hammond
Taylor
Bradman
Cook.

Bradmans record is almost 1000 runs. So I don't think that will be beat. I can't see anyone scoring 974 runs or more in a 5 test series.

Edit

Smith scored 769 runs in a 4 test series against India batting insanely well. He would have still needed another two hundred runs to best Bradman.

To be fair Bradman just batted and batted. Smith had a few not outs and didn't bat a couple of innings I think. I don't think it's impossible.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Trott getting a century before Cook will be pretty funny considering he had a legit mental breakdown and missed over a year of cricket.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AH BISHY

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

serious gaylord posted:

It wasn't just him though, it was like his ability to just bat and bat inspired other players to be a bit riskier with their shots. After all no-ones getting Cook out so one end is safe. That meant people like Pieterson, Bell and Prior could smack balls around and get the run rate a lot higher than it would normally be.

But really the defining moment of that series is still the first game. England all out for 250 odd, Australia put on nearly 500. 5 Sessions to bowl England out and reach whatever meagre lead they get. Then Cook and Strauss put on 200 for the first wicket, out comes Trott and they just bat Australia out of the series.

From Siddle getting a hat trick on the first day, to 1/517, this thread was a rollercoaster of emotion for the Aussie posters.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor Cave posted:

From Siddle getting a hat trick on the first day, to 1/517, this thread was a rollercoaster of emotion for the Aussie posters.

Some of them still havent been seen since haha.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Or before

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Windies really missing Benn here I feel. Shouldn't have dropped him.

e: like magic!

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Smith iirc copped a terrible caught behind drs. Smith is interesting. He was part of Lehmanns plan to stop Swann. It was pretty genius. Replace fringe left handers like Hughes and Khawaja with fringe right handers like Smith and Bailey.
It helps that Smith and Bailey are the type who like to come down and hit spinners straight, particularly Smith.

Bradman
Hammond
Taylor
Bradman
Cook.

Edit

So basically Cook was the second best in like eighty years. Pretty remarkable. And yeah agree with you on Bradman. You basically have to score 200 runs a game to break that record. I just can't see it happening

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh no Trotters!

I thought a 2.5 day 150 was a certainty there :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This will be pretty tight

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oooooooooh that's close

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Umpire should be giving them out

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Lionel Richie posted:

Umpire should be giving them out

I wouldn't. That was a big stride forward.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty ideal delivery. Really should have got him.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
There is no way that ball was bouncing over the stumps. Windies have been screwed there. That happened a couple of times in the World Cup too.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Trott's place in the team for the next two years has now been assured

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 23, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has he chopped it on a lot recently, or is it just me?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
13 from 53 balls, ballance is really going for it. Also Cook is just tragic at this point.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
England motoring along at 2.5 an over

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The pitch is really slow and low. Coming out and trying to tonk 5 an over would be suicide.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Root taking 100-odd balls for his first 50 isn't exactly unusual.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
He's on 27 off 45 at the moment and to be honest he looks like he's batting on a different pitch to everyone else

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They don't want to give Root the captaincy yet but they'll have no choice soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He can certainly motor along later, and he's happy to run them.