Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How did Bege turn into an amazing character.

HOW?! He was the least interesting of the worst generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kegslayer posted:

This is my guess as well although I kind of want it to be just a picture of a literal camel.

one of us needs to reread the chapter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mother.... camel

it all makes sense...!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Kirios posted:

Eh I still don't find him very compelling, the other rookie mooks all tried to assassinate a yonko (and failed). His fruit is OK, but doesn't strike me as overpowered in any way.

I don't expect him to do much, other than occupy some of Big Mom's fighters.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Mother.... camel

it all makes sense...!

Eyebrows the Camel makes a shocking return bursting out of the wedding cake. Vivi, Igaram and the King also come for the thrilling reunion.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's not Mama Camel, it's Joe Camel

they get 'em real young, y'know.....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

Eh I still don't find him very compelling, the other rookie mooks all tried to assassinate a yonko (and failed). His fruit is OK, but doesn't strike me as overpowered in any way.

I don't expect him to do much, other than occupy some of Big Mom's fighters.

An important thing to remember about Bege is that he's both an offensive and defensive powerhouse. His fruit doesn't just give him the firepower of an army, but also shrinks any incoming attacks. Fighting him is like fighting a mountain in a pinstripe suit, and that's even before you consider the perils of ending up inside his body when he doesn't want you there.

Guy seems like he's comfortably on the same tier as Law, at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm going to go with the picture itself being a red herring. Something else caused Big Mom to scrape her knee, but it happened at the same time as the picture was knocked over.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

An important thing to remember about Bege is that he's both an offensive and defensive powerhouse. His fruit doesn't just give him the firepower of an army, but also shrinks any incoming attacks. Fighting him is like fighting a mountain in a pinstripe suit, and that's even before you consider the perils of ending up inside his body when he doesn't want you there.

I don't think he's that strong, but he makes up for it with intelligence and teamwork.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

I'm going to go with the picture itself being a red herring. Something else caused Big Mom to scrape her knee, but it happened at the same time as the picture was knocked over.

I thought the same thing at first. Maybe she does something like that every few years to spread the rumor that she has a weakness so someone will come and try to start some poo poo. It would be the best spread of the picture cut in half on the ground and Bege just looking horrified as Mama doesn't react at all.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Has somebody mentioned the double translation?

Page 8 and page 9 both start with, "Anyway, when all this happened, Mama took to her knees with the shock, and doing so scraped her knees! She bled!"

Page 9 seems to be the better fit, it's followed immediately by a comment on her blood. Wonder what really belongs on page 8.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Let's be real here the plan is going to mess up becuase of Luffy's entrance focus.

Actually what are the chances of one of the strawhats deciding Big Mom shouldn't die and interfering?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's really unlikely (maybe nami if it turns out pudding messed with the memories bm has of lola), but big mom won't die anyway because she's not in a flashback or a member of the whitebeard pirates

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Kirios posted:

You know Bege is the cool mafia guy and not the lame loser with the boring doctor powers right?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Advice posted:

Has somebody mentioned the double translation?

Page 8 and page 9 both start with, "Anyway, when all this happened, Mama took to her knees with the shock, and doing so scraped her knees! She bled!"

Page 9 seems to be the better fit, it's followed immediately by a comment on her blood. Wonder what really belongs on page 8.

Oh, I just checked the English translation and yeah, wow.

Yeah, that's a major thing to leave out.

In page 8, she's actually saying, "At a previous tea party, there was a waiter who accidentally dropped the picture of Mother Caramel."

Hence, why they came to the conclusion that harming the photo = weakening Big Mom.

Wow MS hosed up again, huh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please buy a subscription to Weekly Shonen Jump, for a very reasonable price per year.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Oh, I just checked the English translation and yeah, wow.

Yeah, that's a major thing to leave out.

In page 8, she's actually saying, "At a previous tea party, there was a waiter who accidentally dropped the picture of Mother Caramel."

Hence, why they came to the conclusion that harming the photo = weakening Big Mom.

Yeah ok I totally believe my "Big Mom=Photo who ate the Soul Soul fruit" thing now.

Like if you are the size of a photo and you drop from the height of a chair you could in theory scrape your knees I guess?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

Not enough unnecessary loving curse words this goddamn chapter!

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I couldn't save a single loving nakama! gently caress!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pudding saying "bloody pain the arse" was something all right.

You'd think they could just translate it as "what a pain" but that's not good enough I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DizzyBum posted:

Not enough unnecessary loving curse words this goddamn chapter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gently caress HELL YEAH PROZD!!!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

Pudding saying "bloody pain the arse" was something all right.

You'd think they could just translate it as "what a pain" but that's not good enough I guess.

it was good actually because now she's british

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

What? Law was a Shichibukai, not to mention his ridiculously OP fruit.

There seems to be a fairly recurring theme that physical prowess in One Piece is tied to physical appearance (note Bege's lack thereof), and with this big mafia family and lack of accolades (it was hinted he basically assassinated a lot of people), suggesting they are on the same level is somewhat preposterous.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Luffy is absolutely ready to take on any of the four emperors. He's just not supposed to look like it too obviously, yet, because it'll make it more awesome when he pulls off the win. We've had the timeskip borne-out-of-weakness that we needed (two, if you count the first chapter where he goes from useless little boy to punching the gently caress out of a Sea King), and we don't need another training arc. Luffy is there in talent and ability, he just has to DO the things that make him a legend. We are seeing him do the things. Big Mom is going down. Maybe she won't die, but she's losing here, badly.

Also Law sucks and Bege rules but will get his poo poo ruined in short order so whatever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you're not happy with MS translations, you could always go for a different group like jaiminisbox.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ubiquitus posted:

What? Law was a Shichibukai, not to mention his ridiculously OP fruit.

There seems to be a fairly recurring theme that physical prowess in One Piece is tied to physical appearance (note Bege's lack thereof), and with this big mafia family and lack of accolades (it was hinted he basically assassinated a lot of people), suggesting they are on the same level is somewhat preposterous.

I'd say that being an underling for an emperor is better than being a warlord.

Bege's fruit is insanely powerful. And it's perfectly suited to assassinations, since he can sneakily employ overpowering force. It doesn't matter that he relies on his mafia goons, since they're always with him.

In his heart.

Literally.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Big Mom won't die, because this is One Piece, but her dreams sure will, because this is One Piece.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure a Kong Gun don't give a gently caress about Bege's power

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If Bege had minions worth a drat I'm sure he would already be higher than "a middle of the road underling in Big Mom's army".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I thought the same thing at first. Maybe she does something like that every few years to spread the rumor that she has a weakness so someone will come and try to start some poo poo. It would be the best spread of the picture cut in half on the ground and Bege just looking horrified as Mama doesn't react at all.

I'm looking forward to Bege's Enel-face. :haw:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
What would happen if Bege were to fall into the ocean with all his men, horses, cannons etc. inside him? :magical:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's really unlikely (maybe nami if it turns out pudding messed with the memories bm has of lola), but big mom won't die anyway because she's not in a flashback or a member of the whitebeard pirates

Speaking of Pudding messing with memories, what if the whole Mama Caramel incident is just a test of Bege's loyalty. Added bonus being Bege gives them a good cover for killing the Vimsmokes and taking everything they have while not jeopardizing future weddings.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Big Mom I guess is being set up to be another tragic badguy?

She comes off to me like a more rear end in a top hat-ish version of Whitebeard.

Whitebeard and Big Mom both wanted a family more than anything. Whitebeard considered anyone he took on his ship as his kids, Big Mom has a more traditional idea of "marrying" into the family and is a big fan of shotgun weddings.

The picture I guess could be Dorian Grey type poo poo, or it literally could just be a picture of a dead child or husband or something that makes her so distraught her "spirit" (haki!) breaks momentarily.

poo poo, even Doffy got a weird bit of humanizing (he seemed to be suffering from PTSD or something in a lot of flashbacks where he trembles or gets snotted thinking about specific things), so it wouldn't shock me if Big Mom was being set up to get punched nice by Luffy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The photo of Caramel is actually Yoshihiro Kira

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
This is what I love about One Piece: there's so much laid out in front of us and yet anything can happen. It's so unpredictable on a lot of levels. I'm half expecting the gunshot not to go off so Luffy doesn't come in at the right time leading to Bege getting beaten. Afterwards, Big Mom opens the tamatebako and the resulting explosion is what triggers Luffy to make his entrance and start wreaking havoc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
What if the picture is of Weevil's mother, who was Big Mom's mother and was married to Whitebeard?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Star Platinum posted:

What would happen if Bege were to fall into the ocean with all his men, horses, cannons etc. inside him? :magical:

They deploy the boat from his dock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i've heard of docking but this is ridiculous!!