Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Any recommendations on S-Video switchers? I have a Dreamcast and N64 hooked up via S-Video, and will hopefully my eventual PS1 and Saturn will be as well. Don't need any component options, my PS2 is hooked into the component ports of my CRT, and my Xbox will be into my HDTV when I eventually get some for it.

A quick Google led me to this one: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28750-Composite-Selector/dp/B0032ANC8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I'm looking at getting an Everdrive or two and I don't care about wacky customization options like cartridge color or special screws, is there any reason why I should order from stoneAgeGamer (who has higher shipping costs) over buying from krikzz directly (who offers a flat-rate $6 shipping)?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

If I'm looking at getting an Everdrive or two and I don't care about wacky customization options like cartridge color or special screws, is there any reason why I should order from stoneAgeGamer (who has higher shipping costs) over buying from krikzz directly (who offers a flat-rate $6 shipping)?

Well, theoretically it would probably arrive quicker from StoneAgeGamer unless you are also in eastern Europe.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh my

https://twitter.com/RGBoombox/status/861214053259194368

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

yeah but then the game is windows-only instead of being also available for gog's mac and linux users. unfortunately i think market forces won out there.

Weirdly enough, GOG doesn't directly offer most of their old games to linux users even when they just use DOSbox. Obviously, you can rig something up yourself if you know that, but the only DOS games I have from the site that offer linux downloads are the Leisure Suit Larry games (but no other Sierra games), Dragonsphere, and Lure of the Enchantress.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any way to run theme hospital on modern hardware? I loved that game as a youngin, and the last time I tried it on dosbox OS X, I had bad audio hitching issues. Like bad enough I gave up after the first level

Is the best bet still just dosbox? I suppose that was a couple years ago and it may be fixed by now?
There's an open-source rewrite called CorsixTH that might be interesting. It's not quite finished, though.

Random Stranger posted:

Weirdly enough, GOG doesn't directly offer most of their old games to linux users even when they just use DOSbox.
GOG have to negotiate a new contract with the publisher for each platform they release on, or something along those lines.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Well, theoretically it would probably arrive quicker from StoneAgeGamer unless you are also in eastern Europe.

Yeah I just waited a month and a half for one directly from Krikzz.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Phantasium posted:

Yeah I just waited a month and a half for one directly from Krikzz.

It actually ended up being the same price to buy from StoneAgeGamer since they apparently give a discount if you're buying several everdrives.

I'd like to get an SD2SNES, but $200 is a tough pill to swallow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Kins posted:

There's an open-source rewrite called CorsixTH that might be interesting. It's not quite finished, though.
GOG have to negotiate a new contract with the publisher for each platform they release on, or something along those lines.

I'll check out corsixTH, I still have my original install media for the game, so I'd rather not re-buy it if possible.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I understand why that guy doesn't like DoujinDance cause he's gotta fix up so many of his consoles, but DouchenDance is a really obnoxious put down & I wish he'd think of something else.

Also, the one DoujinDance JP21 cable I took apart to switch to SCART was competently made and well shielded. I'm guessing a Saturn component cable has some conversion circuit to combine the RGB signal though, so that might be a mess.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone here have or recommend an instagram to admire retro games on the go?

Other question about PS2. I've got used to playing PS2 games emulated at higher internal resolutions, custom external shaders, and sometimes widescreen hacks. I am much happier with how this looks than even a PS2 with component cables. Dark Cloud 2, Godhand, and even Katamari look much better. I'm seriously considering backing up and selling what I have for the system, but first are there any games that do not emulate well or somehow depend on the real hardware?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 8, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I went with Krikzz over Stoneage Gamer in 2014 when I bought a Super Everdrive because it was significantly cheaper (since Krikzz sold the bare board and S.A.G. only sold their custom cases.)

More recently I bought a Mega Everdrive X3 and found that Krikzz only seems to sell them with cases now, and the price was the same as Stoneage Gamer. I ended up buying from Stoneage and it was tax-free with only $4 shipping. And it arrived weeks earlier than my last order from Krikzz.

It seems like Stoneage's prices are the same as Krikzz's for most/all of the carts these days. I don't see much reason to go with Krikzz's store for US purchases anymore, except when Stoneage is backorded or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone here have or recommend an instagram to admire retro games on the go?

Other question about PS2. I've got used to playing PS2 games emulated at higher internal resolutions, custom external shaders, and sometimes widescreen hacks. I am much happier with how this looks than even a PS2 with component cables. Dark Cloud 2, Godhand, and even Katamari look much better. I'm seriously considering backing up and selling what I have for the system, but first are there any games that do not emulate well or somehow depend on the real hardware?

Well I don't think anything properly emulates stuff like the Rez Trance Vibrator or the EyeToy. Also many of the online games won't work in emulation - but they often don't work on real hardware anymore because the servers are dead. The various MMO games are usually right out.

Anyway check this out http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html

There are currently 125 out of 2592 checked games that are not playable all the way through.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people running private servers just cuz.
Look up Dreampi. You take a raspberry pi, a usb modem, a 9v, a couple resistors, and build a phantom phonebox that couples with a program on your pc so you can play a bunch of Dreamcast games online through the modem. Sadly not Outtrigger or Propeller Arena, but Alien Front Online is still awesome.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fastbilly1 posted:

Look up Dreampi. You take a raspberry pi, a usb modem, a 9v, a couple resistors, and build a phantom phonebox that couples with a program on your pc so you can play a bunch of Dreamcast games online through the modem. Sadly not Outtrigger or Propeller Arena, but Alien Front Online is still awesome.

Note that you can just attach all the same stuff to a regular computer you already have for the same thing, if you don't have a Raspberry Pi.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

fishmech posted:

Note that you can just attach all the same stuff to a regular computer you already have for the same thing, if you don't have a Raspberry Pi.
True, but we as retrogamers need to make it as complicated as possible.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I understand why that guy doesn't like DoujinDance cause he's gotta fix up so many of his consoles, but DouchenDance is a really obnoxious put down & I wish he'd think of something else.

Also, the one DoujinDance JP21 cable I took apart to switch to SCART was competently made and well shielded. I'm guessing a Saturn component cable has some conversion circuit to combine the RGB signal though, so that might be a mess.

yeah HOW DARE HE :confused:

who even cares? I'm more interested in people being aware of his hackjobs.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

GutBomb posted:

I bought a Dreamcast broadband adapter on eBay for $80 in like, 2003 when there were still some servers active. Looks like they sell for around $130 now. Not sure what you can do with them now other than stare at them.
Apparently they're very valuable for making manual backups of your Dreamcast games for use in emulators, as opposed to downloading backups other people made. (At any rate, that's the only reason I want one...) Other methods exist, usually involving the serial port, but they're significantly slower (because, well, they usually involve the serial port).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp, finally reached that awkward point in retro game collecting where I know the stock of the game shop better than the bored employees.

At least I now have a fun but hard Bokosuka Wars remake for my Gameboy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp, finally reached that awkward point in retro game collecting where I know the stock of the game shop better than the bored employees.

Mercenary Force lets the player have WAY more input than Bokosuka Wars ever would. Was this ever posted?

https://majornelson.com/2017/02/23/bokosuka-wars-ii-is-now-available-for-xbox-one/

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It was the only thing I could think to compare it to. Perhaps I should have said a less crap Bokosuka Wars? Either way I'm having fun failing at it, therefore it must be a good game.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
So, lately I've been thinking about selling off some of my NES collection due to a mix of money issues, and the fact that my collection is entirely in storage and not being used/enjoyed. I was looking at some game prices on Price Charting and I've noticed some games (including Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, Felix the Cat, and Donkey Kong Jr Math) have gone up way in value (at least in terms of Amazon/eBay sells) in the past year or so. I haven't been really active in reading retro game sites nor a lot of retro game YouTube channels like I used to be, but is there a reason why these games have gone way up in value in the last year?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
More or less it's because people became more interested in CIB and full library collecting, and these games all had extremely tiny print runs.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Feels good to win an eBay auction without worrying about being sniped by a bot with a 5 digit feedback.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turbinosamente posted:

That art is awesome

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Wamdoodle posted:

Mercenary Force lets the player have WAY more input than Bokosuka Wars ever would. Was this ever posted?

https://majornelson.com/2017/02/23/bokosuka-wars-ii-is-now-available-for-xbox-one/

Yeah, I was going to say, Mercenary Force looks nothing like Bokosuka Wars. Reminds me more of a sidescrolling Knightmare or King's Knight. Neat, though.

Bokosuka Wars II I'd probably actually buy if it were available for a different platform.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Moments to stop and take a good look at what you're doing:

"A lot of 9 Super Famicom manuals, huh? Hey, I have five of these as cart only! I could get this and the rest of the carts..."

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

shyduck posted:

Feels good to win an eBay auction without worrying about being sniped by a bot with a 5 digit feedback.

Did they ban sniping services or something?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
They're always 'banned' it's just hard to enforce.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I beat a sniping service a few weeks ago and I was proud of myself for a few minutes.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Guys I've decided to try and make my night shifts more fun by involving my PS2, I managed to pick up a screen that clips to the top for cheap, it's pretty crappy but cost next to nothing so I can't complain, the only issue is it's independently powered I know it seems picky but is there any way I can combine the monitor and ps2 power cables so I only need one plug socket????

The monitor has an ac adaptor that is quite heavy and bulky, also I live in the U.K. I know our power sockets are different here to some others.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gaz2k21 posted:

Guys I've decided to try and make my night shifts more fun by involving my PS2, I managed to pick up a screen that clips to the top for cheap, it's pretty crappy but cost next to nothing so I can't complain, the only issue is it's independently powered I know it seems picky but is there any way I can combine the monitor and ps2 power cables so I only need one plug socket????

The monitor has an ac adaptor that is quite heavy and bulky, also I live in the U.K. I know our power sockets are different here to some others.

Is there some reason that just carrying a small 2 or 3 socket power strip won't work in this situation?

There might be a battery pack available for the screen, most of the ones designed to clip to a console were like that, but that'd be even heavier and bulkier than the power adapter in all likelihood.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Why wouldn't a socket splitter work in this case? A power strip is the obvious cheap solution, but there are devices that split one socket into two or three as well.

I have a GameCube LCD screen that gets inbetween the the power adapter and the system to draw its power but I'm not really happy with that design since that inherently reduces the current available to the system.

Edit: Okay, I think I follow you now. The screen's power adapter is what you don't want to use, right?

Well, tough. I am not an electrical engineer yet, but I have taken enough classes to know that trying to bridge power in like that is tricky to put it mildly. I'm sure for my Game Cube screen they had people working out exactly how much draw they could get without breaking the system and even in that situation I do not trust the result 100%. Doing this with hardware not specifically designed for it? Yeah, it's theoretically possible but not remotely worth pursuing. Just plug it in like you're supposed to.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 10, 2017

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Oh there are easy solutions it's just I liked the idea of only having one cable coming from the system so it seems more like an all in one portable unit.

The screen actually folds down quite nicely on the unit, it's just a shame it has so many cables.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. My new 1CHIP SFC is resetting/locking if I just nudge the cartridge while it's on. I'm at the office so I'll have to try it at home tonight with my SD2SNES but the only game I have here at the office is Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures and I can reproduce at will. I'm hoping it's just the cartridge and not that there's something wrong with my new SFC.

At home this sits under my TV bench anyway so there's not a good chance of the cartridge being nudged while it's on but it's still somewhat worrying.

Though I'll say that 1CHIP looks amazing even through the lovely Amazon SCART->HDMI upscaler.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Every snes I own does that. Just don't touch it while you're playing.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Same for the Genesis, or any cart-based system really. You can't mess with the cartridges when the system's on. Unless it's Sonic 3D Blast, in which case it'll take you to the level select. ;)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. My new 1CHIP SFC is resetting/locking if I just nudge the cartridge while it's on. I'm at the office so I'll have to try it at home tonight with my SD2SNES but the only game I have here at the office is Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures and I can reproduce at will. I'm hoping it's just the cartridge and not that there's something wrong with my new SFC.

At home this sits under my TV bench anyway so there's not a good chance of the cartridge being nudged while it's on but it's still somewhat worrying.

If you have an SD2SNES from Krikzz you might have the same issue than I do (I have the red PAL/japan type custom cart), namely that the cart shell he uses are just slightly oversized compared to regular carts, and I had to use some force to enter it into the mini. This might cause an issue that the cart isn't totally 100% connected and therefore will be a bit more prone to errors if it moves.

So far I don't have issues since I don't use any other carts than the SD2SNES, but I do want a Super Gameboy + GB Everdrive sometime in the future, so I will have to think about what to do about the tightness when I want to switch carts.

But yeah like others said SNES carts - and other cart systems too - are pretty finicky about movement while the game is on.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 10, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Though I'll say that 1CHIP looks amazing even through the lovely Amazon SCART->HDMI upscaler.

What the heck don't nudge your cartridges while they're running.

There are some notable cart nudges out there though. If you do it in Sonic 3D Blast you get the level select (e:f;b). I think Ocarina of Time has a debug crash handler screen. Then there's the Goldeneye 007 model flipping out thing.

fishmech posted:

Well I don't think anything properly emulates stuff like the Rez Trance Vibrator or the EyeToy. Also many of the online games won't work in emulation - but they often don't work on real hardware anymore because the servers are dead. The various MMO games are usually right out.

Anyway check this out http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html

There are currently 125 out of 2592 checked games that are not playable all the way through.

Great list. Thanks.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
A few years back I purchased an ElGato HD since it can capture 240p over s-video and composite. Now that I have upgraded from composite to SCART and a YpBPr transcoder, I was thinking that in the specific case of the Genesis, it would be best to convert from YpBPr to S-Video so I can still gain some better video quality over composite.

Unfortunately I will not be able to afford this year a good upscaler or to switch from ElGato to the startech video capture device.

Is there an affordable solution to transcode from YpBPr to S-Video? Doing a mod to my 32x is out of the question due to my lack of technical skills, and being outside the US makes sending the console to someone to mod it quite expensive.

• Locked thread