Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

SirSamVimes posted:

hosed up that a blizzard employee is this wrong

I kid. A zorak would be cool. Or maybe a Kunchong skin for Anub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sourdough Sam posted:

I said big things. Not C tier npc race from an expansion everyone forgot.

Also I can't really give any clues but if anyone wants to know what its like making art for this game I can give *some* insight.
Why are there so many skins for Li Ming? Is it just one guy who really likes her?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SirSamVimes posted:

hosed up that a blizzard employee is this wrong

Yeah Mantid don't even make C tier.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why are there so many skins for Li Ming? Is it just one guy who really likes her?

A decision like that is something that happens pretty far above my head. I work on map assets. If I had to guess I'd say she's popular and probably fun to design skins for. The guy who originally modeled her is really good and runs his own art education program and asset store called Cubebrush.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Sourdough Sam posted:

I said big things. Not C tier npc race from an expansion everyone forgot.

Also I can't really give any clues but if anyone wants to know what its like making art for this game I can give *some* insight.

Why is Raynor's junk so large?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Spudd posted:

Why is Raynor's junk so large?

Something that's an ever present rule of design for HotS is the need for things to be bottom heavy. This is because of the overhead camera view. If details on the lower half of the body weren't more exaggerated they would be occluded by the upper half of the body. This is why so many characters have thick legs, big feet, and well...

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Sourdough Sam posted:

Something that's an ever present rule of design for HotS is the need for things to be bottom heavy. This is because of the overhead camera view. If details on the lower half of the body weren't more exaggerated they would be occluded by the upper half of the body. This is why so many characters have thick legs, big feet, and well...

I am absolutely fine with making everyone extra thicc so this is a good answer. Although top down Diablo still looks like he has tiny legs but that's just a me thing.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 24, 2017

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sourdough Sam posted:

don't lie, you wanted thicc dreadlord jaina

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

help why is mage zul'jin so much fun

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 24, 2017

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Sourdough Sam posted:

How tired is the HOTS art team of hearing about Arthas' model?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Semper Fudge posted:

How tired is the HOTS art team of hearing about Arthas' model?

His was a pretty early model so some of what people are saying isn't entirely without merit. He is after all, one of the tentpole Blizzard characters. I don't really mind it although I kinda wish his mouth was in shadow.

Ok that's all I can answer for now. Thanks for playing HotS!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So after spending a significant amount of time with both of Junkrat's ults, I feel like the tire is just... better. It can be killed but almost no one makes an attempt to kill it, most people just flee and the ult callout + the tire sound tends to make other players panic. I feel like it's much easier to secure kills with it, and if you are positioning yourself well, you won't be taken out of the teamfight like the other ult does. Even with the reduced respawn timer and increased mount speed, it feels like leaving the fight like that isn't as worth it.

Plus it's a ton of fun jumping over walls with the tire when chasing people down cause you can easily always beat them to wherever they're trying to go.

I did make the mistake of using that ult once tonight while in the middle of things and I ended up dying while my tire was out. I did however end up killing someone both with the tire and with Junkrat's death grenades so it all worked out :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sourdough Sam posted:

A decision like that is something that happens pretty far above my head. I work on map assets. If I had to guess I'd say she's popular and probably fun to design skins for. The guy who originally modeled her is really good and runs his own art education program and asset store called Cubebrush.

i like your maps :)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Spudd posted:

When the gently caress did Zagara get a new hearthing animation? Granted I never see it because Nydus is too good.

KT patch.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Macaluso posted:

So after spending a significant amount of time with both of Junkrat's ults, I feel like the tire is just... better. It can be killed but almost no one makes an attempt to kill it, most people just flee and the ult callout + the tire sound tends to make other players panic. I feel like it's much easier to secure kills with it, and if you are positioning yourself well, you won't be taken out of the teamfight like the other ult does. Even with the reduced respawn timer and increased mount speed, it feels like leaving the fight like that isn't as worth it.

Plus it's a ton of fun jumping over walls with the tire when chasing people down cause you can easily always beat them to wherever they're trying to go.

I did make the mistake of using that ult once tonight while in the middle of things and I ended up dying while my tire was out. I did however end up killing someone both with the tire and with Junkrat's death grenades so it all worked out :v:

I kind of agree. I get why the rocket is more appealing in every way at first glance, aside from being just more fun to use, but I'm finding it a little slow to start up and deal damage, kind of a theme weakness for Junkrat in general he is just in general a little slow to deal his damage so the Tire gives him the fastest immediate burst. It's also not abusable as the other one, but one use I found for the tire ult was using it in response (activate and blow up in melee range) to a melee stealth uncloaking on you. It's usually one for one at least for now, but as people learn the character more, squishy melee assassins will learn to fear diving a Junkrat that picked Tire.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
How do I get better when I'm not getting feedback from the people I queue with? Hell, the only time I get feedback is from tcjimbo and even that was one time several weeks ago with a hero I don't play much in QM.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

lucifirius posted:

How do I get better when I'm not getting feedback from the people I queue with? Hell, the only time I get feedback is from tcjimbo and even that was one time several weeks ago with a hero I don't play much in QM.
Search youtube for "heroes of the storm replay analysis", watch some, and wince as you recognize errors in your own play.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I kind of agree. I get why the rocket is more appealing in every way at first glance, aside from being just more fun to use, but I'm finding it a little slow to start up and deal damage, kind of a theme weakness for Junkrat in general he is just in general a little slow to deal his damage so the Tire gives him the fastest immediate burst. It's also not abusable as the other one, but one use I found for the tire ult was using it in response (activate and blow up in melee range) to a melee stealth uncloaking on you. It's usually one for one at least for now, but as people learn the character more, squishy melee assassins will learn to fear diving a Junkrat that picked Tire.

Tire ult is better for securing kills, rocket ult is better for not dying and getting back to the fight faster and maybe sorta kinda getting a pick.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

lucifirius posted:

Queue with goons who play against humans and bounce ideas off them. I'd love to play with a goon who asks how to do something before they dive in and commit to bad ideas like multishot Valla or non-memento mori Malth.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Started playing greymane, having a blast, but what's the general decision tree for ult selection? So far I have just been picking cursed bullet bc it's safe, short cooldown, and a nice opener. Mostly playing solo qm atm.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Erdricks posted:

Started playing greymane, having a blast, but what's the general decision tree for ult selection? So far I have just been picking cursed bullet bc it's safe, short cooldown, and a nice opener. Mostly playing solo qm atm.
From Psalm's (I believe he's currently #1 NA?) greymane guide:

quote:

Greymane has the choice between heroics Cursed Bullet and Go For the Throat at 10. Evaluate your team composition and evaluate your enemy’s composition. Is your team built for diving the backline, or does it look like your team is immobile and meant to mainly hit the enemy team’s frontline? Is the enemy team made up of squishy targets you can easily dive and kill by yourself, or are they lined up with several warriors and tanky assassins (e.g., Tychus) who you can’t easily dive on?

Evaluate which targets you want to mainly be focusing on based off both team’s compositions. If it is the beefy frontliners, go Cursed Bullet. If it is the fragile Valla and Lunara in the back, pick Go For the Throat. At 16 and 20, Executioner and Hunter’s Blunderbuss are pretty much the only viable talents (if your team has absolutely no crowd control, go Eager Wolf at 16) at those tiers.
edit: internalize the huge variation in hero health.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 24, 2017

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Pro click right there, thanks man.

These numbers don't tell the whole story obviously but it's a great tool. (I feel a thousand times safer playing a very frail hero like Li-ming than let's say Tychus who has 54% more HP and about similar mobility but needs to get in the enemy's face to deal any damage)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
GFTT is almost always the choice in QM because no tanks. Bullet can usually do more damage, but GFTT gives you a second way to jump on an enemy without having to disengage.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is it normal for Stitches to be so easy to bodyblock in place? It may just be that it happened four or five times last night due to some really coordinated people, but I'd never noticed it before then.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Talmonis posted:

Is it normal for Stitches to be so easy to bodyblock in place? It may just be that it happened four or five times last night due to some really coordinated people, but I'd never noticed it before then.

Yes, he is very fat.

And sounds like you've never played Azmodan.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

bamhand posted:

Yes, he is very fat.

And sounds like you've never played Azmodan.

Only to level 5. With Azmodan, if I'm yanked behind the lines, I'm dead before I notice getting BB'd. With Stitches, I'm alive for seven or so seconds of a beating, unable to move and getting furious about it.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

tcjimbo posted:

Queue with goons who play against humans and bounce ideas off them. I'd love to play with a goon who asks how to do something before they dive in and commit to bad ideas like multishot Valla or non-memento mori Malth.

Tell me about this pro Artanis solo tank strat i keep hearing about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Losing games to Cho'Gall makes the hero feel completely unbeatable and I hate facing him but I have a 30% win rate with him on my team and a 70% win rate against him (and this is mostly QM). He's definitely the hero where my perception is most out of line with my actual experience.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Seeing the HP Pool values drawn out like that reminded me of the Vs AI match i was in this weekend with someone playing hatless abathur and meleeing towers.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

smarion2 posted:

Sure, whats it like working for blizzard? You guys need a mediocre programmer? I've always dreamed working for you guys.

Blizzard has enough job openings to start another Blizzard:
https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I've been messing around with Varian's Colossus Smash build, and holy crap after 10 you seriously melt everyone... Team fight starts, I dash in melt 1 person instantly, throw my movement flag down, parry pretty much everything, run out let the team do some more damage then turn back around and insta kill another person... If I can get someone else to go like Muradin we win HL everytime... Just was down pretty bad on spider map, people on my team were calling gg, after 10, I would just go in and kill their dekaha in like 3 seconds, and their Kel-Thuzad and just went through and ended the game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, people also don't realize attacking Varian gives him massive overpower attacks and that's where a ton of his burst is coming from in addition to just the smash itself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bamhand posted:

Yeah, people also don't realize attacking Varian gives him massive overpower attacks and that's where a ton of his burst is coming from in addition to just the smash itself.

That's because every idiot poo poo Varian I see takes the quest instead.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Toshimo posted:

That's because every idiot poo poo Varian I see takes the quest instead.

Which quest :v:

(Lion's Maw is actually pretty good against Zagara to kill the hydralisk, and lower mobility heroes for whom slows matter)

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

If you're insisting on going twin blades, wouldn't you take the high king quest, since adding damage to each attack is better than the parrying resets strike talent, given that twin blades causes heroic strike to reset very quickly?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

I am bragging a little but but I'm really more interested in coincidentally having TLV and Zarya both times:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TLV and Zarya can be a pretty good combo. Wonder if both of them were stacks.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of TLV, I cannot stress enough just how frustrating it is to play against a good TLV player on Dragonshire.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yukari posted:

If you're insisting on going twin blades, wouldn't you take the high king quest, since adding damage to each attack is better than the parrying resets strike talent, given that twin blades causes heroic strike to reset very quickly?

Parrying resets talent (Overpower) can trigger multiple times per W. Each time it does, it adds 168 damage to the next attack. High King's Quest at most adds 75 to every attack. So, if you can parry and trigger an extra Heroic Strike 50% of your attacks or more frequently, Overpower is better. If fewer than 1 in every 2.24 attacks is an extra Heroic Strike, HKQ is better.

HQK is unconditional once you finish the quests, so that's good. HKQ also benefits from the natural Heroic Strikes every 9 seconds (with Twin Blades), nominally every ~2.5 seconds if you're constantly AAing for the built-in CDR.

HKQ is probably better once you complete it (quickly on a globe-happy map) but Overpower is better against an AA happy enemy team, especially those with naturally high attack speed (most OW heroes, Tychus, Tassadar, Zul'jin, Valla, TLV, Greymane, Rexxar, Samuro (lol))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The 165 scales for what it's worth whereas I don't think the 75 does (both are halved by going twin blades I think? Not super important for calculations)

HKQ is relevant for mercs and buildings though ofc which isn't totally meaningless. I don't think either is a huge blunder tbh, I guess you can go HKQ with second wind or overpower with live by the sword if you want to just do what most people do.