Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What if they're 30 and you're 55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CJacobs posted:

Or it means "I'm 25 years older than whatever age you are"?? There's a difference.

That's what I understand

Shibawanko posted:

Unless I've gone retarded or something, I'm pretty sure that's the same thing. "I'm 25 years older than you" means "I was 25 when you were born". That's obvious right?

Or do you mean he's saying he's at minimum 25 years older than Richard and doesn't know how much older he actually is? That seems pretty weird.

If I am 40 and you are 15, Im 25 years older than you are

edit: if Cooper was 30 when Richard was born, Richard is now 25 and Cooper is 55 and... wait, you are right

edit 2: well, if Bobby and Laura were teenagers in the original series, I have no problem believing Cooper was 25

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 29, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Occam's razor, people. Obviously Richard is 36 years old and is Leland's son. After the original series, Audrey adopted him. When Cooper says "my son", it is actually BOB speaking.

edit: Richard is a Tulpa, created in the past year. When bad Cooper says "I'm 25 years your senior", he means he was created 25 years earlier.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

He actually says "I'm 25 years your senior." as in he's older and therefore has seniority. Except he's not 50 so he is still lying about his age. It's a weird one. But yeah although I've gotten way better I still garble words and such sometimes :(

Oh no, that's my bad. I initially misheard what Mr. C said, and I guess I just misheard it again during the podcast.

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's what I understand

edit: if Cooper was 30 when Richard was born, Richard is now 25 and Cooper is 55 and... wait, you are right

edit 2: well, if Bobby and Laura were teenagers in the original series, I have no problem believing Cooper was 25

What have I done. :psyduck:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's what I understand

Yeah, if you're 40 and I'm 15, that means you were 25 whenever I was born.

Richard was probably born a little after the end of the second season, at least 9 months after. Cooper was significantly older than 25 at that point. http://www.twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Dale_Cooper it says he was born in 1954. Even if you ignore that source, Cooper surely looks much older than 25 at the end of Season 2 (MacLachlan was in his early 30's when the show ended). It just doesn't quite add up, or maybe it's just something you're not supposed to think about much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh yeah I was totally misreading haha.

But yeah, Evil Coop's line isn't accurate at all. I agree with whoever said it was likely a mistake.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to figure out how to make it work that he's exactly 25 years older. I'm guessing it was just meant as an approximate round number that was either intentionally or unintentionally confusing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's poor wording, but I get what he meant by it. They really should have phrased that line differently.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Maybe they went out of their way to not have him say "You're 25 years my junior" , so as not to hint at the son reveal coming up. Or just having Bad Coop say "I'm older than you" sounds too...simple?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

can we go back to getting in fights over anime please

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr. C seems to consider his age at the time to be whatever Cooper's was. He's been going around calling himself "Dale Cooper" after all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
25 years of anime filler

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CJacobs posted:

Or it means "I'm 25 years older than whatever age you are"?? There's a difference.
It's this. I'm 27, so someone 25 years my senior would be 52.

When the original Twin Peaks ended (1991), Coop would've been 37 (since he was born in 1954).

Assuming Richard was conceived around this time (shortly after Bad Coop escaped the Lodge and then raped Audrey), that would make Bad Coop 62 now and Richard 25.

The Return takes place 25 years after season 2's end, so 2016, meaning Richard should be 25 and Coop would be 50 if he was 25 years older than Richard?

I don't know. Seems like a continuity error.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
My favorite scene so far is Dougie eating waffles and coffee with Janey-E and Sonny Jim. Something about how it's shot and how it's acted...
It's so simple, so dumb and such an absurd situation but it's one of the best things I've ever seen and makes me feel warm inside.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Dougie crying while looking at Sonny Jim definitely has a lot more gravitas now that we know Cooper was internally lucid that entire time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have never seen anyone deserve an Emmy more than Kyle Maclachlan does for this season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MacLachlan deserves an Emmy SO BADLY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah he's loving amazing. His ability to portray Dark Coop, Dougie Jones and Dale are unbelievably good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Also just wanted to say that this is the best season of TV I've ever seen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC you can only submit one episode to the Emmy's people for awards nominations. While Kyle is AMAZING in this show I don't think one episode can really sum his performance up...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I just got off a Skype call with Mr lynch himself, he said it's "I'm 25 years [old], you're senior"

Hope this clears things up

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/902064370598936577

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah he's loving amazing. His ability to portray Dark Coop, Dougie Jones and Dale are unbelievably good.
All 3 feel like such different characters, but still have hints of each other. The physical acting has been great too. If you showed me a still picture of Cooper and Dougie Cooper I could tell you which was which just by how they carry themselves.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
When I went back and rewatched some of the earlier episodes it was incredible how even Tulpa Dougie, who was on-screen for only a few minutes, had his own unique mannerisms and personality come across clearly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
everyone in this thread has hearts of gold

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Mitchums take out the Renaux family once and for all.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I think a lot of the reason I think it looks "amateurish" or whatever is because the effect is meant to play with your sense of dimension, i.e. things that should be three dimensional all the sudden look and feel two dimensional. I think it's 100% purposeful because the Lodges play into that, we're being visited by entities that seem to be able to traverse other dimensions that we don't yet understand.

Pretty sure it's exactly the kind of technique used to make the Red Room scenes so offputting in the original series. The movement is unnatural, and it's supposed to be that way. So you just maybe don't enjoy Lynch's aesthetic but it has nothing to do with the quality of the effects.

It looked like trash. Maybe you enjoy trash in addition to "Lynch's aesthetic".

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Ah man, who got rid of my Lethal Weapon avatar :(

Stupid Dougie!

I guess I'll have to hate like him now

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm surprised at all the "is Richard the son of Booper" chatter after I mentioned this a few pages earlier and the only response was "duh."

Also if you didn't laugh out loud at the goofy graphics of Diane going poof then I don't know why you watch Twin Peaks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, it made the copy seem paper thin. It worked.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also just wanted to say that this is the best season of TV I've ever seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I adore this but y'all gotta watch the last season of The Sopranos or something

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

second season of the wire

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
first season of beast wars

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

second season of the wire
The docks stuff is good but a lot of the rest of it just feels like its retreading ground from season 1 IMO.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
First season of Twin Peaks

Any season of Narcos

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 4 is the best Wire season, everyone knows this

2 is second for sure though

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

If nothing else, The Return has solidly placed Twin Peaks as a whole in my top 3 shows of all time. Not that I didn't love Twin Peaks before, but the dodgy third of S2 and unsatisfying ending always had it trailing my top favorites.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The docks stuff is good but a lot of the rest of it just feels like its retreading ground from season 1 IMO.
The entire show is just retreading ground from Anime, which invented the concept of storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ HAHAH

How do people think this season compares to the original show? I'm pretty much inclined to call it better at this point.