Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

brief update never mind that

Also, from last time, why didn't anyone Raphael has a Disney villain song? :argh: I'd have gone there first thing if I'd known!

I am noticing someone missing from your submarine and I can’t remember the choices you’ve made before this that would’ve kept them from being there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I glitched Cazador and gave him some kind of uber surprise. I snuck into the boss room and clicked slashing flourish, clicked on him, and was just about to click on some werewolf as my second target when I got spotted. It made the combat start noise and set up the initiative order, and then Tav started a conversation. Cazador did his speech, and when it ended I saw he was going first. poo poo, right? But he didn't do anything, as if all my characters were invisible. My characters took their turns, then all his minions took their turn, and didn't do anything either! Except the bats, but all they did was dash. On Cazador's next turn, he did the same thing, standing in place. The werewolves still didn't do anything at all, but the Ghouls did some futile slashing. My guess is that I glitched it and Cazador still thought he was in a conversation. Maybe the werewolves and the other tougher minions have some kind of "part of Cazador's dialog" flag, too. I think the bats get spawned after, so they're clear to do what they want.

I almost wiped on the Orin fight though. I did the Durge duel, with her as the Slayer, but walked my other characters in. She got twelve stacks of unstoppable. My Tav has Magic Missile, but he was on the opposite side of initiative with Orin as my primary damage dealer, Astarion. It was a crazy rush of trying to clear the stacks of unstoppable, her legendary counterattack, and keep my characters healed. I think it was my first fight in this honor mode where I had characters get downed during combat and successfully brought back up without them getting KO'd before their next action.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

She Cannot Be Caged! is the best achievement, get it on your next playthrough if you don't already have it.

Recruitable Sazza DLC when? :argh:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The song is one of the coolest surprises in a game full of cool rear end stuff. Spoiling that would be criminal. And yes, The Goon, avatar of your worst posting enemy, always gets an lol.

E: I got the Sazza achievement on my first run lol. Didn’t know it was a thing til it popped up. Sassy goblin queen did me a solid I’m not gonna backstab her.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 18, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

LifeLynx posted:

I glitched Cazador and gave him some kind of uber surprise. I snuck into the boss room and clicked slashing flourish, clicked on him, and was just about to click on some werewolf as my second target when I got spotted. It made the combat start noise and set up the initiative order, and then Tav started a conversation. Cazador did his speech, and when it ended I saw he was going first. poo poo, right? But he didn't do anything, as if all my characters were invisible. My characters took their turns, then all his minions took their turn, and didn't do anything either! Except the bats, but all they did was dash. On Cazador's next turn, he did the same thing, standing in place. The werewolves still didn't do anything at all, but the Ghouls did some futile slashing. My guess is that I glitched it and Cazador still thought he was in a conversation. Maybe the werewolves and the other tougher minions have some kind of "part of Cazador's dialog" flag, too. I think the bats get spawned after, so they're clear to do what they want.

I almost wiped on the Orin fight though. I did the Durge duel, with her as the Slayer, but walked my other characters in. She got twelve stacks of unstoppable. My Tav has Magic Missile, but he was on the opposite side of initiative with Orin as my primary damage dealer, Astarion. It was a crazy rush of trying to clear the stacks of unstoppable, her legendary counterattack, and keep my characters healed. I think it was my first fight in this honor mode where I had characters get downed during combat and successfully brought back up without them getting KO'd before their next action.

Finally my people have arrived.

Artists quest? Don't use the front door.

Cazador? DO THE SNEAKY.

DO THE SNEAK.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently if the game crashes for any of the players during the last 2-3 of the game then there's no loving way for them to re-join ever again, even for the epilogue, unless you go back and re-do all the most annoying parts of the ending.

Multiplayer in this game truly sucks rear end, in contrast to the singleplayer.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Use invisibility and take the Gale option :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm looking at that light armor that increases necrotic damage by 1 and I'm wondering how this works out. Would it be like this:

Shar gloves: Adds 1d4. +1
Sword: 1d4 necrotic. +1
Druid spores: 1d8 +1

Or will it just add 1 extra damage total to that attack?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don’t know about that armor specifically but unless you’re using playing on honor mode, a ton of bonuses get applied to every source of damage. I think there’s a good chance you’d get the +3 from your example rather than a flat +1. Combat log should be helpful confirming.

They eliminated that triple (or more) dipping of buffs on honor mode which is a bummer but also probably a saner way for effects to work. Cause people of course found ways to abuse it for hilarious amounts of damage per attack.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Apparently if the game crashes for any of the players during the last 2-3 of the game then there's no loving way for them to re-join ever again, even for the epilogue, unless you go back and re-do all the most annoying parts of the ending.

Multiplayer in this game truly sucks rear end, in contrast to the singleplayer.

You can sometimes fix this by loading an old save and long resting, then having the other players join. Then go back to the endgame save and they should be able to join again. This worked when my husband’s controller ran out of battery during the endgame, so hopefully it works for you! Multiplayer is extra janky, yeah.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Trevor Hale posted:

I am noticing someone missing from your submarine and I can’t remember the choices you’ve made before this that would’ve kept them from being there

A bit of googling says that a friendly mind flayer is down there if you do an Underdark questline, but I kinda skipped that section of the game so I think I got everyone? I'm saving that area for a maybe future playthrough.

Docjowles posted:

The song is one of the coolest surprises in a game full of cool rear end stuff. Spoiling that would be criminal. And yes, The Goon, avatar of your worst posting enemy, always gets an lol.

E: I got the Sazza achievement on my first run lol. Didn’t know it was a thing til it popped up. Sassy goblin queen did me a solid I’m not gonna backstab her.

My second favorite thing from that fight is that his buddies all have Anti-Paladin/Cleric Countermeasures, namely radiant damage getting reflected back twofold as fire damage. Except Zehra is a tiefling and has innate fire resistance, and being the clever sort I am, I put Protection from Energy: Fire on Minthara and Shadowheart before the fight because devil=fire right? It still stings, but hey, that gives Hope something to do besides hiding in the corner. Some people might suggest just not using Divine Smite on them, but that's a horrible idea, why would you even think that?

It would have been wildly out of character, but I almost regret not sleeping with Haarlep just to be able to call out Raphael's lack of prowess in bed.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 18, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

What in the gently caress happened to my character portrait. I can't tell if I'm angry, badly constipated, or angry because I'm badly constipated

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Thought I had a really cool idea to build a necromancer based team with an oath breaker paladin to boost, but it turns out hatred aura only works on attacks made with weapons, which summoned undead are entirely without. Cambions work, but otherwise you have to use control undead/fiend to make it work so gently caress it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Being a Necromancer seems like a cool idea, but in practice involves adding a bunch of extra dudes to every combat and makes everything take three times as long. Unless you have the stomach for that, just smite people or chain lightning.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah the necro with 25 summons has little appeal to me. I get annoyed microing like 2 extra dudes

grack posted:

What in the gently caress happened to my character portrait. I can't tell if I'm angry, badly constipated, or angry because I'm badly constipated

Ashton Kutcher rear end character

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

grack posted:

haulin' rear end
gettin' paid

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Do not like this shadow cursed area. The first encounter was a mess. I had Shadowheart cast light on Hazel thinking that she wouldn't need to carry a torch and could use her two handed weapon, and Gale cast light on himself so he could carry his staff. But as soon as combat started they both seemed to lose their light and had to switch back to a torch. It wound up being a Keystone Kops sort of affair chasing shadows all over until I accepted that I'd screwed the whole thing up.

I restarted by having Shadowheart cast a ball of light in what would be the center of the battle, then triggered the encounter. That worked much better as now no one needed a light source and could just fight, and the shadows remained visible unless they moved all the way to edge of the lit area. I still don't understand how the light spell works that you can cast on a party member because they sure did look lit up, but oh well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Do not like this shadow cursed area. The first encounter was a mess. I had Shadowheart cast light on Hazel thinking that she wouldn't need to carry a torch and could use her two handed weapon, and Gale cast light on himself so he could carry his staff. But as soon as combat started they both seemed to lose their light and had to switch back to a torch. It wound up being a Keystone Kops sort of affair chasing shadows all over until I accepted that I'd screwed the whole thing up.

I restarted by having Shadowheart cast a ball of light in what would be the center of the battle, then triggered the encounter. That worked much better as now no one needed a light source and could just fight, and the shadows remained visible unless they moved all the way to edge of the lit area. I still don't understand how the light spell works that you can cast on a party member because they sure did look lit up, but oh well.

Yeah it is a pretty lovely mechanic. Follow the main quest pointers and you will be given tools to deal with it almost immediately.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

grack posted:

You ugly

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

did you swap weapons? light cast on a character casts it on the weapon they are currently holding

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
very very late Act 3 spoiler thingy and preview of posts to come.

gently caress it, why not try...

not like i'm going to need these inspiration points later on...i hope...

oh my god, that actually worked? :getin: :hf: :hawksin: not really but you know, it'd be too easy to kill the final boss with a DC20 check.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the BOOOAL's benediction that you get from sacrificing a companion seems like it sucks. advantage on attack rolls on bleeding enemies is a pretty bad reward for losing a companion, if i'm not planning on using karlach at all this playthrough.

i'm trying to do an evil run but it doesn't feel like it's fun to be evil so far. seems like the rewards are crap/worse than otherwise and there's often not even a good RP reason to do it.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 19, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

crepeface posted:

the BOOOAL's benediction that you get from sacrificing a companion seems like it sucks. advantage on attack rolls on bleeding enemies is a pretty bad reward for losing a companion, if i'm not planning on using karlach at all this playthrough.

i'm trying to do an evil run but it doesn't feel like it's fun to be evil so far. seems like the rewards are crap/worse than otherwise and there's often not even a good RP reason to do it.

you get it on three of your dudes and pairs with Amulet of Bhaal or Slicing Short Sword or Scrap and Shrapnel Grenade or the Lacerate ability, stuff like that

Act 1 is very weak (e: I think I mean in terms of motivation) for evil crap... I had a much smoother time playing nice with everybody as Durge than my arbitrarily murderous Astarion? Act 3 has a lot of potential for truly gnarly set ups and payoffs tho

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 19, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wizard2 posted:

you get it on three of your dudes and pairs with Amulet of Bhaal or Slicing Short Sword or Scrap and Shrapnel Grenade or the Lacerate ability, stuff like that

Act 1 is very weak (e: I think I mean in terms of motivation) for evil crap... I had a much smoother time playing nice with everybody as Durge than my arbitrarily murderous Astarion? Act 3 has a lot of potential for truly gnarly set ups and payoffs tho

i feel like the payoff of advantage on attack rolls (which you can get from numerous other methods) is barely even worth wasting a turn on setting up bleed on enemies. there's also a fair amount of undead/constructs that can't be bled at all.

i'm still trying to decide if i'll side with the goblins, the loss of all the tiefling refuge content seems like a big ask.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my feelings regarding siding with gobbos: it's not really "worth it" and it barely carries over into Acts 2 and 3, but it is fun

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

crepeface posted:

if you switch to a pickpocketing companion during the dialogue and steal the sickle from the fish priest, you get the benediction without sacrificing a companion if you follow the dialogue tree that would normally give you the sickle.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

crepeface posted:

i feel like the payoff of advantage on attack rolls (which you can get from numerous other methods) is barely even worth wasting a turn on setting up bleed on enemies. there's also a fair amount of undead/constructs that can't be bled at all.

i'm still trying to decide if i'll side with the goblins, the loss of all the tiefling refuge content seems like a big ask.

I mean, if you are trying to evaluate evil choices through the lens of "how much payoff will I gain when I do them versus how much content will I lose" then they are all objectively terrible and not worth taking. They are there so that you can roleplay a murderous rear end in a top hat if you want, they do not offer an alternative path through the story.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah the evil path is basically there so you can not take it, and that's fine.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wizard2 posted:

my feelings regarding siding with gobbos: it's not really "worth it" and it barely carries over into Acts 2 and 3, but it is fun

current plan is to clear out the underdark and the rest of the act 1, then make a save and raid the grove. skip the creiche, make another save and go straight into act 2 from the underdark and see how moonglow towers go.

will reload from save 1 or 2 depending on how fulfilling moonglow is.

Zodium posted:

if you switch to a pickpocketing companion during the dialogue and steal the sickle from the fish priest, you get the benediction without sacrificing a companion if you follow the dialogue tree that would normally give you the sickle.

did that, but the game said i was a cheap tart of a false god so i'm going to kill them all now

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In my first playthrough atm, I just had a very smooth / dumb fight against Raphael. Gale threw down a sphere of invulnerability in the first round, Lae'zel threw out the runepowder bomb I'd saved from the factory, and boom, no more pillars, most of the adds were dead. Shadowheart has a Jinn and so she drops the swarm of insects and the Jinn's whirlwind on Raphael and he just kind of sits there for several rounds not doing anything, until the other demon guy I'd persuaded to flip sides eventually bonks him and then he transforms with about 200hp left. The gang just sits in the sphere dropping AOEs and ranged attacks on him until he dead.

Then I accidentally kill the other demon guy because he bugged out in an invisible state and couldn't do anything, and I tried to get his attention by throwing acid on him. Oops.

Trip report: sphere of invulnerability very good, enemies do not seem to know how to react to it. Loved that Raphael sung along to his own theme song. RIP that loser, never thought of taking his dumb deal. Now I'm going to betray this lovely mindflayer because I don't want Lae'zel to be mad at me for keeping the prodigal evil(?) gith son in prison.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just lost my second HM run to Grym. Was careless about running across lava, but was still a couple of unlucky rolls from just about surviving. Gonna continue as origin Laezel is pretty cool so far. I keep finding new stuff too!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
Raiding the Grove means you kill the guy who can fix Karlach's heart and is therefore a complete non-starter. :colbert:

and is it...is it time?

Episodeon CXXXIV: The Final Day

first off, I'm drowning in purple and yellow and orange 1H weapons, and yet I'm still using the decidedly non-fancy, non-high tier Blackguard's Sword.
the 1d4 necrotic damage means it still keeps up with some top-level 1H weapons, and daze on demand is really, really nice against Big Scary Enemies.
we entered Wyrm's Rock, and, well, I guess Gortash decided to remove any threats to his rule in a very...direct manner. except the bodyguards, we killed them.
and all that's between us and him is this door.

interestingly, Gortash was suddenly keen on rekindling our, uh, partnership. not that this would ever happen after what we saw in his factory. or with Karlach in tow.
he and his bodyguards actually put up a decent fight, especially when he channeled Bane and punched a huge chunk of Karlach's health away, but in the end he was no match for us.
I split Karlach's monologue here out, just because it's a ton of images (in an already extremely long post) but also beautiful and crushing: a lifetime's worth of pent up, suppressed rage and terror and sadness bursting out.
and, of course, the mandatory conquest of his throne.

to the Morphic Pool we go! we sailed into the darkness on a little skiff, and in the finest tradition of video game protagonists on boats, it sank, leaving us to swim for it.
wait, am I a video game prot- no of course not, I'm going to be so glad when this tadpole is gone once and for all and these dumb thoughts stop popping into my head.

the brain and probably our death was right around the corner, so why not sneak one last kiss in, just in case?
i'm holding you to at least a thousand more if we live, Gale.

with every nerve in our brains screaming to SURRENDER and TRANSFORM, we came across another dark lake. then this floated out of it.
i was drawn into some kind of...pocket dimension? and while trying to fight it with the Netherstones, both myself and the Emperor realized something to make our blood run cold.
this was...we were the brain's plan all along.

I still fought back with everything I could muster, but fate cannot be changed and force of will can't make the impossible possible.

or can it? the brain was stunned for a moment, but even this wasn't enough to seriously harm it. even then, that meant it wasn't invicible.

thankfully, the Emperor had the prescence of mind to pull a tactical withdrawal, and bring us along into the prism world. outside? the hells unleashed.
then the emperor asked us for the stones, and I had to make the hardest decision of my life.

but how could I justify turning our blades on an ally who's saved us dozens of times?
that didn't make witnessing Orpheus's fate any easier.

in the hellfire and chaos outside, we came upon something unexpected: friends.
not pictured: a very, very angry Kith'rak Voss, though he was convinced to stay his blade, at least for now.

posting all of those friends would make this already-massive entry twice as long, but there's no way I'm leaving Big Armored Owlbear out. :allears:
I gave a little rallying speech to the many, many troops, and...you know, sometimes I wonder about the "soulless and humorless" thing with mind flayers.

one fight through a seemingly-endless wall of goblins, cultists, and mind flayers later, we made it to our goal, the brain stem. nowhere to go but up...

and we will end you.

a brutal fight against some high-end thralls, mind flayers, and a possessed dragon ensued. Minthara, Gale, and Shadowheart focused on the enemies while I rushed the Crown alongside the Emperor.
Minthara actually managed to outright kill the dragon just as the Emperor finished channeling Karsus' Compulsion on the brain, tearing open a portal into its very psyche.
we dove in into this strange place for the real final battle...

and found out that defying fate actually worked. already weakened by both my allies and my sheer will, Gale launched a barrage of magic missiles into the core, crippling it....
and, well, how else could it all end?

the tadpole/netherbrain tried one last trick, begging me to betray the Emperor and take control instead. or at least I like to think it was the tadpole, and not some dark urge hidden inside of my mind.
either way, it didn't work. i told the Emperor to command the brain to destroy its flock and itself, and so he did.
he didn't even try to convince me to take control (or let him do it himself), which I was kind of expecting to be honest.

and with that, it was finished. mostly. the tadpoles had one last gift, sharing the pain of their death with us. but unlike them, we were still alive.
for the moment, at least, as the brain started to disintegrate and tumble towards the sea.

i'm not quite sure what happened right after that. at some point I got thrown into the sea, and all I can say is thank the gods for feather fall.
the dying brain exploded into a ball that almost looked like lightning, with the bolts striking all of the remaining mind flayers and cultists.
the people of the city, previously frozen by fear, took the opportunity and struck them down with whatever weapons were handy, and it was truly over.

at some point I came to and swam to shore, incredibly sore but otherwise completely intact. well, minus one tadpole, as Minthara summed up with a glorious poo poo-eating face.
the Emperor was alongside us too, perhaps disappointed that we hadn't agreed to take control of the brain, but still...grateful? or whatever passes for that with mind flayers.

And I'll leave off there because it's very late and I'm very tired. I do have to point out that final save counter though, that wasn't even on purpose! The hours played counts are all wrong, I installed a few mods (like the pretty horns because, well, they're pretty) midway through and apparently that resets it to zero. Real save time was roughly 134 hours...it's a long game if you didn't know that!

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 19, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Raiding the Grove means you kill the guy who can fix Karlach's heart and is therefore a complete non-starter. :colbert:

it's fine i sacrificed her to boooal so i don't need him

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Why not simply murder Booall and cannibalism his flesh to gain his power? It works for Christians!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
okay, i've found a good resolution to the BOOOAL situation.

i persuaded him not to kill me and had astarion pickpocket the sickle so i'd get the buff. my durge character got mad about feeling like a little bitch so i sent astarion back in after the head priest finished wandering around looking for a pickpocket and assassinated him and fled the scene.

when my party came back, BOOOAL had been revealed. he was a buggy and unresponsive but i killed him (other fish men didn't aggro).

i now have the buff, sickle, worship of the remaining fish men and most importantly, my dignity.

edit: damnit, i had already finished the glut/spaw quest. would have been good to use glut's ability to resurrect BOOOAL's body as a final insult.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 19, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

E: son of a bitch there was another page of replies

Dammon can make some nice gloves that inflict bleeding early in act 2, I remember having them on my monk. However most things my monk attacks, he kills on the same turn. So I agree the BOOAL buff’s value seems limited. Useful vs high AC + HP bosses

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
oh! I tried it, just to see how it would go, and I beat Grym the other day with the excellent strat suggested itt of "beating him up with hammers" lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I also brutally neutered the Phase Spider Matriarch encounter by having Shovel take a swipe at her from invis and then applying all the stuns and knockdowns

Shovel ftmfw :stare:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I killed the big spider by throwing a bomb at her while she was on the web bridge which caused her to take like 50 fall damage and be knocked prone. Maybe a fire spell is a more economical option for breaking the bridge, but I didn't think to try it at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
if i have the option to set up for a fight beforehand, one of my favourite things is leaving a lit torch on top of a barrel or two and to shove enemies into/atop of it.

found out an exploity thing with monk. sometimes you'll want the stats of a weapon (like Corellons Grace that gives a +1 to unarmed attacks) but you want to punch to take advantage of the bonus (and Tavern Brawler). you can put anything in the mainhand and the other weapon in your offhand (might need Dual Wielder feat). then go to a different character and remove all their weapons. click on the mainhand item box and select the monk's mainhand. your monk will now have an empty mainhand and a weapon in their offhand. this persists through respeccing (from a mod at least).

also found out that Symbiotic Entity applies to ranged weapons despite the tooltip. it's quite good on my drow druid dual wielding hand crossbows.