Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

At first I thought you were thinking of No Escape. That was in SE Asia, although I don’t think they actually named it. Then I remembered Behind Enemy Lines, which is set in Bosnia. Two awful Owen Wilson movies.

the best part of that movie was the random serbian sniper who was chasing him down

this scene was in every action movie in the 2000s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvbSVyWP9I&t=80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Behind Enemy Lines is up there with Shrek for the “I watched this so many times on HBO a year or three or whatever after it came out” cause it felt like they were being run forever.

I remember it at least being entertaining back then, but I also haven’t seen it in well over 15 years.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My dad was so pissed when Behind Enemy Lines came out because (supposedly) he was writing a movie script where an American civilian became trapped and he has to make his way back to safety during the Balkan War (he was also stationed over there for a while as a civilian DOD employee). He absolutely loathed that movie and Owen Wilson for years.

I don't remember the details because he talked about it when we were high.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

drat. 23 years ago that trash came out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

LeeMajors posted:

Never post food on the internet. Ever.
You're not my real dad. :colbert:

Local farmers market had asparagus and morel mushrooms, so I picked them up to accompany my ribeye steak. The ribeye was sous vide with parsley & cilantro stems, then I tried infusing the leftover herbs into some olive oil using my blender. That didn't really work but I did strain the oil over the steak which was :discourse:.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

May I suggest a compound butter if you have herbs with nothing to do? That meal looks great by the way.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fartknocker posted:

Behind Enemy Lines is up there with Shrek for the “I watched this so many times on HBO a year or three or whatever after it came out” cause it felt like they were being run forever.

I remember it at least being entertaining back then, but I also haven’t seen it in well over 15 years.

I lived on campus the first two years at UF and the dorms had their own version of HBO that showed movies all day. Behind Enemy Lines was in the rotation for a while. So was Evolution, which holds up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

3 DONG HORSE posted:

May I suggest a compound butter if you have herbs with nothing to do? That meal looks great by the way.

I'll try that next time. I had the herb stems left over in the sous vide bag and I thought "How can I use this?"

The morels were also butter basted in garlic and TBH they were the real star of the show.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Morels are the king of mushrooms, to be fair.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My mom has a hidden mushrooming spot that she used to go to to find mushroomd for selling. She once made a really delicious pasta dish with foraged mushrooms and I still dream about it but she won't disclose what kind they were or where she got them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My dad was so pissed when Behind Enemy Lines came out because (supposedly) he was writing a movie script where an American civilian became trapped and he has to make his way back to safety during the Balkan War (he was also stationed over there for a while as a civilian DOD employee). He absolutely loathed that movie and Owen Wilson for years.

I don't remember the details because he talked about it when we were high.

Hah. I had a book idea that I abandoned after Wolverine Origins had a near-immortal character surviving Nagasaki. It was like the seventh decently original plot point I had that got directly lifted in a very short time period, and after that it was just Welp. There's only so many superhero-like tropes to go around, I suppose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The best joke I've ever told at a family dinner is my dad made something with chantarelle mushrooms and said "I made this with the good mushrooms" and I just looked him in the face and said "these aren't the good mushrooms"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFY_Fesa9Q
Will Smith needs money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unless he's got a gambling addiction or something I think he just did it because people said "here's millions of dollars to do something you've been doing your entire adult life."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Will Smith should do a Fresh Prince sequel series where he's the Uncle Phil and of course shenanigans and life lessons occur. I'd watch it.

Though nothing is ever gonna top seeing the "Why don't he want me" scene. Probably his best acting ever. drat maybe I should just rewatch the series... I feel like it will (mostly) hold up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fresh Prince absolutely holds up

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Will Smith should do a Fresh Prince sequel series where he's the Uncle Phil and of course shenanigans and life lessons occur. I'd watch it.

Though nothing is ever gonna top seeing the "Why don't he want me" scene. Probably his best acting ever. drat maybe I should just rewatch the series... I feel like it will (mostly) hold up.

this held up imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

a sexual elk posted:

The entire story in the text box

Unfortunately it won't fit, so I did something else:

I tried working the grad student into it, but there wasn't enough room

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kalli posted:

I loved that era of movies that were like uhhhh China's a huge market so we can't use them as the evil villain... well step on up North Korea!

It's like this with "For All Mankind" too, except they don't ever reference China, because I guess Apple is worried about it? And ironically, I'd argue that the North Koreans were the only good group in Season 4 since everyone else is hosed in some way.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I forgot that Carlton could actually move. He's out there doing the splits and all anyone remembers is his goofy dance.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

fartknocker posted:

I grew up watching the John Leguizamo/Steven Seagal action movie on TBS like twice a day.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Morels are the king of mushrooms, to be fair.

Nah there’s better mushrooms

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah there’s better mushrooms

I guess I'll ask. What mushrooms? I love mushrooms in general so I'm up for a lesson.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

Unfortunately it won't fit, so I did something else:

I tried working the grad student into it, but there wasn't enough room

Hm, I don't want to do an edit myself since this is your idea but maybe try a double-faced card template? This is a great effort and I love where you went.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Hm, I don't want to do an edit myself since this is your idea but maybe try a double-faced card template? This is a great effort and I love where you went.

Ah, feel free to. This was off the top of my head and I completely forgot that the double-faced format existed tbh, lol. My idea for the jogger was "Target opponent puts a 1/1 Jogger token onto the battlefield. QB can only attack the player who controls the Jogger," but I'm sure there's a better idea for it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Argh, found a giant tick on my kid from visiting relatives 8 days ago. Had checked him a bunch including his hair but somehow missed it. Tried to use extinguished matches to get it to back out, it wouldn't, so gently pulled with tweezers and got the head out with skin attached even though I know that's frowned upon. Time to take him to pediatrician just in case, and saved the tick in case they test it.

I"ll let me kid cut the tick open and see the bit of blood pour out, I used to do that with the ticks we would pull off our dog that were the size of grapes (its nowhere near that big).

God drat ticks. I felt one on me the same trip and killed it but 'felt' nonexistent ones crawling for another day.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

what part of the country do you live in?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FizFashizzle posted:

what part of the country do you live in?

I'm in Chicago, but we were in north central Illinois by Wisconsin border, in some prairie and forest preserves, and I'm sure that's where he got it.

Edit: he probably got it at the bird banding station when we were out walking the mist nets and watching people putting birds into bags for measurement/tagging.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 13, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Android Apocalypse posted:

You're not my real dad. :colbert:

Doesn’t apply in this thread because y’all all kill the food pics. But I think it’s because there’s a) a high bar here and b) yall accept the considerable risks of impending flame-age.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The tick didn't have a single milky spot on its back did it?

I really hope your kid didn't get lone starred. (acquired red meat allergy)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

This happened to my cousin in southern Virginia. Pretty wild.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Freaquency posted:

This is like learning the actual line is “No, I am your father”

My psyche is in shambles

What did you think the line was :confused:

LeeMajors posted:

I do agree that a lot of people would vandalize a cyber truck because gently caress Elon Musk and his dork brigade.

Agree to disagree on the bolded. These dorks have become lightning rods for criticism and love the attention.

US congressperson and general psychotic chud Nancy Mace vandalized her own home for attention. Cybertruck owners are absolutely dumb and deranged enough to do this lol

Air Skwirl posted:

Fresh Prince absolutely holds up

Throwing Jeff out the front door is one of the all time great TV bits

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 13, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pron on VHS posted:

I grew up watching the John Leguizamo/Steven Seagal action movie on TBS like twice a day.

Executive Decision is a low-key banger that has the unexpected bonus of killing Seagal's character in such an amazing way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7T7qPoQCBg

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I guess I'll ask. What mushrooms? I love mushrooms in general so I'm up for a lesson.

Personally I think different mushrooms have their place depending on application. A couple years ago I was foraging with a fellow ex-studio mate near the Oregon coast & we found some lobster mushrooms. After cleaning them off when we got back to the beach house, we made vegan sushi with them.

I did pick up some maitake & lion's mane mushrooms last Sunday as well. They've been roasted and will be part of the week's meal prep along with some stir-fry of Italian sausage-flavored tempeh & a bag of coleslaw cabbage/carrots.

Hot take: I think truffles are a little overrated. They have such a powerful flavor that it can overwhelm a dish if you're not careful. Also truffle oil is the fungal version of snake oil.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

That snake oil and about 50 pigs made me a very rich man

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 13, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kalli posted:

The tick didn't have a single milky spot on its back did it?

Wow, I didn’t realize the Lone Star tick was that far north now. I’d be more worried about Lyme given where trevorreznik said he’s at.

Also gently caress ticks. Here in AZ the brown dog tick reigns supreme, which is only a problem as you get closer to the reservations where RMSF is significantly present. The Lone Star tick is present now in SE Arizona though…

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

trevorreznik posted:

Argh, found a giant tick on my kid from visiting relatives 8 days ago. Had checked him a bunch including his hair but somehow missed it. Tried to use extinguished matches to get it to back out, it wouldn't, so gently pulled with tweezers and got the head out with skin attached even though I know that's frowned upon. Time to take him to pediatrician just in case, and saved the tick in case they test it.

I"ll let me kid cut the tick open and see the bit of blood pour out, I used to do that with the ticks we would pull off our dog that were the size of grapes (its nowhere near that big).

God drat ticks. I felt one on me the same trip and killed it but 'felt' nonexistent ones crawling for another day.

Ugh ticks suck. Had a couple as a kid too, usually from camping, but I remember one was just at a day camp and it was huge. Took forever for them to get it out.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Docjowles posted:

What did you think the line was :confused:

US congressperson and general psychotic chud Nancy Mace vandalized her own home for attention. Cybertruck owners are absolutely dumb and deranged enough to do this lol

Throwing Jeff out the front door is one of the all time great TV bits

I think the typical confusion is it being “Luke, I am your father”

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The internet tells me we have ticks in Colorado but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one. Which I’m very thankful for. Whereas in New England you couldn’t loving walk out the front door without getting 5 of them on you. As a kid my dog had multiple ticks stuck to her at all times and I knew several adults who had terrible symptoms from undiagnosed Lyme disease

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Thaddius the Large posted:

I think the typical confusion is it being “Luke, I am your father”

Yeah, that’s the one. Years of pop culture references burrowed in there and a rewatch made me do a double-take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, that’s the one. Years of pop culture references burrowed in there and a rewatch made me do a double-take

I blame Tommy Boy