Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
who is actually representing the will of the georgian people, their own goddamn parliament or a bunch of random foreigners? the answer may surprise you!

Some Guy TT posted:

is it appropriate for a dialectical materialist to set a funerary altar venerating an ancestor

there was a line in the sympathizer on max saying they cant or at least shouldnt but i have no idea whether thats based on anything in the actual philosophy or just the usual communists hate religion rhetoric

thesis: life
antithesis: death
synthesis: spirit of communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
it's wrong for the police in georgia to repress protests under the pretext that they are under foreign influence. georgia the country i mean. in georgia the state it's actually hosed up if you don't do that

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

exhibit 420, liberals only being able to think in terms of "PR", "messaging", etc.

That's what the US stock market is, the only thing important is how much market value you can generate with a particular buzz word technology, not how much positive improvement a company can generate. The think tank world is how much "PR coin" you can generate in the western media circle/award circle

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

ha, they’re mad that china is beginning to figure out western branding too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the aussies jailed the guy who outed a bunch of war crimes

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-69006714

quote:

Prosecutors argued McBride was motivated by "personal vindication",

incredible.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1790335378370539802

US GDP going to increase on the basis of price growth.

not surprised about the EVs and green tech but lmfao steel and aluminium to 25%?!?!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

lol loving do it

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-68988190

Chabahar Port: US says sanctions possible after India-Iran port deal

The US has warned of potential sanctions for any country considering business deals with Iran, hours after India signed a 10-year contract to operate a port with Tehran.

lol your reaction was almost the same as mine

they're like the rats that panic and button mash when the treat button gets disconnected

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

will never stop laughing if biden heals both the sino-soviet and sino-indian splits

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

remembering when libs were losing their poo poo over trump pulling out of the paris climate agreement because that was supposed to be the "big" thing to fight climate change and here we are in 2024: biden is unloading the entire AR15 mag into america's dick and balls when it comes to any sort of climate change policy

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In Korea, Yoon is trying to fast track and bury the investigations into his wife for the gifted handbag, and also the stock price manipulation in the most subtle and innocent ways possible.

quote:

All the high-level prosecutors charged with investigating the first lady were essentially demoted to trivial posts, professionally exiled

[Editorial] Transfers of prosecutors investigating Korea’s first lady send chilling message

quote:

As soon as prosecutors’ investigation into South Korean first lady Kim Keon-hee began in earnest, the top brass within the prosecution service was switched out. The prosecutors within the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office who were heading the investigations into Kim’s acceptance of a luxury handbag and her alleged stock manipulation involving Deutsch Motors have both been replaced. Also, the newly appointed chief of the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office exemplifies the appointment of the president’s allies to positions of power. Both the timing and the nature of these personnel shakeups demonstrate clear intentions to block the investigations into the first lady.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office interrogated Choi Jae-young, the pastor who gave Kim a luxury handbag, for 13 hours on Monday, the same day that this personnel reshuffle occurred. This was a mere 11 days after Prosecutor General Lee One-seok ordered Song Kyung-ho, head of the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, to form a special team devoted to investigating the first lady “as thoroughly and as swiftly as possible.”

Justice Minister Park Sung-jae, who was appointed this past February, formerly declared that “now is not the time for personnel changes,” indicating that he would not be approving major changes in prosecutorial leadership. This has led even those within the prosecution service to express surprise over this sudden leadership reshuffle.

All the high-level prosecutors charged with investigating the first lady were essentially demoted to trivial posts, professionally exiled. This all happened amid rampant rumors that Song and the presidential office were clashing over the former’s public statements about the need to investigate the first lady. His replacement, Lee Chang-su, who formerly headed the Jeonju District Office, was the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office spokesperson during Yoon’s term as prosecutor general. His loyalty to Yoon is widely known.

What’s also notable is that Lee One-seok, the current prosecutor general, only has four months left in his term. Among eight of the country’s highest-ranking prosecutors, six of them were replaced in the recent shuffle. Lee’s order for an investigation into the first lady was justified, although a bit late, yet it looks to have incited retribution from the Yoon camp. The motivation is clear: stop or blunt the investigation at all costs.

This all comes just six days after Yoon appointed Kim Joo-hyun as his new senior secretary for civil affairs. The recently resurrected position has been publicly criticized as a post created specifically to tighten the president’s grip over prosecutors. And lo behold, his first official act has been a blatant campaign to suppress an investigation into the first lady. Not only has the personnel shuffle threatened the integrity of the investigation, but the investigation itself could crumble altogether.

After witnessing the exile of their predecessors, why would the replacements follow in their footsteps? The president has successfully converted the prosecutors into his personal shield from investigation. Exercising the presidential right to veto is one thing, but privatizing the office of the president for personal ambitions is another. The need for an independent special counsel investigation into the first lady has become more urgent than ever.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mandel Brotset posted:

will never stop laughing if biden heals both the sino-soviet and sino-indian splits

I mean china keeps expanding its markets in india and we do shoving matches with them on the border. Its all good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Gildiss posted:

In Korea, Yoon is trying to fast track and bury the investigations into his wife for the gifted handbag, and also the stock price manipulation in the most subtle and innocent ways possible.

[Editorial] Transfers of prosecutors investigating Korea’s first lady send chilling message

can you imagine the excellent kdramas that will come out about this a decade later?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tankbuster posted:

can you imagine the excellent kdramas that will come out about this a decade later?

what could possibly be better than loving mother-in-laws

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Lol https://twitter.com/Mont_Jiang/status/1790571296599785527

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1138506137697959939

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

rn some Chinese tech worker going "Man, if only *I* could have a boss obsessed with colonizing a planet with poisonous soil and no loving magnetosphere..."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dang...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ikanreed posted:

We've reached the "Trump is the damage control candidate for climate change" level of Joe Biden sucks.

you should post this in the biosphere collapse thread. :rms:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

loving lmao

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://x.com/potus/status/1790479251843522959?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

If I said what I think about Joe Biden I’d probably have the secret service come knock at my door so I won’t.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that tweet by Biden is like complete heresy to the free trade consensus which I thought was dominant

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hedenius posted:

If I said what I think about Joe Biden I’d probably have the secret service come knock at my door so I won’t.

America could do that too

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m sorry I’m trying to delete it

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

crepeface posted:

you should post this in the biosphere collapse thread. :rms:

Last time I read the thread the only thing they hated more than emissions was China, but that was when Rime was still there

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

RandolphCarter posted:

America could do that too

whatever subsidies china is doing probably isn't even 3% of the american military budget on any standardized timeframe

i mean what's $180B over 10 years for shipbuilding versus that? chump loving change

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

Last time I read the thread the only thing they hated more than emissions was China, but that was when Rime was still there

we love china and emissions now

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Zodium posted:

we love china and emissions now

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China cheated by having properly run industrial policies, it's not fair for us who are forbidden to have industrial policies by our capital class overlord. BTW we also have ineffective industrial policy in semiconductor but it only serves the purpose of sending free money to intel.

Pay no attention to our National Security Adviser who gave a talk recently and declared the US needs to have industrial policies to compete. It's too much of an ideological abyss to overcome in our legislative branch.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Ha-Joon Chang must have written fiction then.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Hedenius posted:

somehow i feel like the president accusing another power of "cheating" is really pathetic

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Nosfereefer posted:

somehow i feel like the president accusing another power of "cheating" is really pathetic

I really can't think of a more red-faced, foot stamping way to frame it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

that tweet by Biden is like complete heresy to the free trade consensus which I thought was dominant

free markets are good when the US is dominant. if Chinese companies are dominant it means they cheated via communism

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well you usually can find a less obvious excuse to stop the competition like Europe is doing with this new "carbon footprint tax" concept. But it needs a couple year to ramp up the consensus and complex rules that only benefit the local vendors, and the US didn't have time to do it with an excuse. Also can't do with it the "price fixing" anti competition law suit like they did against Japanese LCD because Chinese EV aren't even in the US. So tariff it is.

BTW I think the logic of the 100% tariff is that they can use it to force EU with a high tariff, like "look we impose 100%, you have to impose at least 50%" this is where the actual battleground is. It's going to be interesting to see how much tariff EU will impose under the US pressure.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

BTW I think the logic of the 100% tariff is that they can use it to force EU with a high tariff, like "look we impose 100%, you have to impose at least 50%" this is where the actual battleground is. It's going to be interesting to see how much tariff EU will impose under the US pressure.

there's no battleground. in extremis it is preferable, without qualification, for capitalists in the core to disconnect from rather than to let their lunch get eaten by china, and they'll use the state towards that end. every core state will enthusiastically raise tariffs and other barriers as much as necessary to protect the imperial markets. that's the whole point of controlling the state.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Actually, this has been debunked. Fly away, troll.
Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and United States Trade Representative Katherine Tai | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Tue, 14 May 2024 posted:

MS. JEAN-PIERRE:  It’s raining outside.

Q    Thanks, Ambassador.  When Trump hiked tariffs on Chinese goods, it led to some increased prices for U.S. customers.  How can you be sure the same thing won’t happen again?

AMBASSADOR TAI:  First of all, I think that that link, in terms of tariffs to prices, has been largely debunked.  What I would say — what I would say is that what the President has instructed that we do is to focus on making our supply chains more resilient.  That means we need more options.  That means here in America, we need to have more manufacturing capacity.  Resilient supply chains means that we will be able to insulate the American economy from the kinds of price spikes and the inflationary dynamics that we have seen that have come primarily from the supply chain challenges we’ve experienced first from the pandemic, next from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

If you think back to March of 2020 and you think about how much a face mask cost, it’s a trick question.  The answer is you did not have enough money to buy a face mask because there just weren’t enough in the world to go around.  So, it is with that in mind that these actions are being taken.  It is, in fact, to address those types of challenges that no one wants to experience again.

Q    One more quick thing on Mexico, if I could.  Are we looking at tariffs — I mean, quotas?  The Trump administration imposed quotas on steel and aluminum tariff — aluminums coming in from Canada and Mexico.  Could there be the same policy related to EVs once (inaudible) comes in?

AMBASSADOR TAI:  I think I’ll just rely on the answer I provided bef- — before, which is “stay tuned.”

Q    Thank you, Karine.  Thank you, Ambassador.  Following up on my colleague Selina’s question.  You said that the President has been consistent on this issue, but back in 2019, when he was a candidate, he said that “any freshman econ student could tell you that the American people are paying his tariffs,” referring to his opponent at the time.  And he also said that he would reverse what he called “senseless policies.”  Why did he change his mind?

AMBASSADOR TAI:  So, I’m going to reject the assertion that he changed his mind.  What he has been clear about is his commitment to America, America’s workers, and America’s manufacturing capabilities and resilience, a future for our economy that is built from the middle out and from the bottom up. 

These tariffs are — tariffs are tools, and this is something at USTR that we feel very strongly about, because they’re our tools.  They’re the tools of trade.  When used strategically and smartly, they can be powerful forces for economic strength and development, and that is what you are seeing in this package.

Q    But previously, he called them “senseless.”  They’re no longer senseless?

AMBASSADOR TAI:  I think you have to separate out the tool itself and perhaps how it’s being used and whether or not they are articulated for a particular purpose.

MS. JEAN-PIERRE:  Go ahead, (inaudible).  

Q    There will obviously be costs here.  Who are the big losers here?  I mean, is it American importers?  I mean, there was an International Trade Commission report last year that essentially said that.

AMBASSADOR TAI:  I would encourage you — I think the ITC report is maybe not as long as our report.  It is long.  I would encourage you to take another look at it, because a lot of what people think it says is not what it said. 

In terms of the methodology that the ITC used, it is very clear that there were positive impacts of the tariffs on the specific industries that were being covered by it. 

Let me just back up to the frame of your question.  I think that it just comes down to this, which is the President has committed to America’s workers and to America’s industries and these industries of the future a bright future.  And we are going to use all of the tools at our disposal — trade tools in combination with the investments that we have made and the commitment that the President has to standing up for America’s economic interests — to make that happen.

MS. JEAN-PIERRE:  All right.  Thank you so much.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Zodium posted:

there's no battleground. in extremis it is preferable, without qualification, for capitalists in the core to disconnect from rather than to let their lunch get eaten by china, and they'll use the state towards that end. every core state will enthusiastically raise tariffs and other barriers as much as necessary to protect the imperial markets. that's the whole point of controlling the state.

It will be interesting to see how far this deglobalization goes. Will Zambia be forced to mainly trade with one country or the other? Will the Philippines?

I don't see how this ends without China becoming the next global superpower though. Their state planning works, and has worked extremely well for the past few decades, while in the West all that people know how to do is strip the wires from the walls. It's wild

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mantis42 posted:

i got to experience the money burning thing when i was with my gf's family in rural yunnan during the spring festival. she grew up in a prison because her dad was a guard. the prison's long been shut down but some of the employee families still live on the grounds of the otherwise abandoned administrative complex and do subsistence farming. her dad, for instance, grew mint for the market and raised chickens (i had to hold a chicken my first day there while he drained the blood from it via it's neck. i thought it was dead until it suddenly revived. i dropped it like a bitch and it knocked over the blood bowl, ran around a bunch with it's head dangling nearly off, then dropped dead), among other things. anyways, we went out to the mound where her grandma was buried, in the middle of some field the prisoners would have worked back in the day, and what they do is they clear all the grass and weeds off with a scythe, burn some incense, burn some of that paper money, lay out some food and alcohol for her and so on. they also burn some stuff for a local mountain goddess that also has a shrine there. very interesting to see up close, but gently caress was it cold and the house didn't have any kind of heating. spent the entire time doing chores, it's not as fun as stardew valley makes it look.

cool story ty for sharing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Spotted on the aliexpress thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Had a friend talk about how the CPC has done very little to expand social welfare despite massive growth in wealth. For you folks with more direct experience, is that just a general slowdown due to the rising of the standard of living? Last I checked China has a growing life expectancy.