Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Zodium posted:

apparently they are doing this with duv machines, which is probably going to be expensive. impressive nonetheless.

supposedly huawei/smic has been able to wring alot out of duv, and i think even optimistic estimates put a chinese euv at the end of the decade

https://twitter.com/tphuang/status/1790894170522951765

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

looking forward to gaming on a completely China-built, China-designed, China-branded desktop PC within my lifetime

Consider how fast Chinese retro handhelds replace Qualcomm and Taiwanese soc with China made ARM soc in low end and mid tier handhelds (you can emulate up to PS2), I think its pretty likely.

BTW Huawei has put variants of kiran 9000 into their top tablets, they sell for around 300 usd and up, the Kiran soc they make can't be that expensive. If its too expensive to make, they would keep them to flagship P and Mate series phones. I look around and I can't find more info of the tablet variants of 9000W soc, Huawei still keep a tight lip on their chips. Too bad I can't use their phones anymore though, I have to use google map and proper Android.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

slave to my cravings posted:

the Chinese diabetes treatment won’t work on the fat American consumer

You know how Americans travel to Mexican border town to do full set of dental works in a town entirely devote to dental cotton industry. Some day people are going to do insulin surgery tourism.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they already do occasionally travel to india for some complicated procedures.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

lol already?!

lmfao

I have a bet with a colleague on how long it was going to take them but I think he's going to hide behind the bet being how long it'd take for China to produce the 5nm specifically through EUV, rather than achieve the same effect through other tech. Either way they're like 3 years faster than I bet him they'd be.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://x.com/TG_R_TM/status/1791002566689759729

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
dickbutt...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tankbuster posted:

they already do occasionally travel to india for some complicated procedures.

Serbia gets medical tourism from USA already for relatively basic stuff. Apparently, for some health issues, a two way plane ticket + staying in a motel + cost of medical services here is about an order of magnitude cheaper than the same medical service alone in USA.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, I was terrified the entire time I was in the US because if anything went wrong I would be laden with medical debt. I appreciate americans being kinda nutty with it because that kind of fear will drive you insane over time.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My kid had a tick bite when I took him hiking. My wife took him to ER and took it out with a medical tweezers. We got a copay bill of 100 bux, and the actual bill to my insurance provider was like 2.5K. Most of the US medical industry is super inflated spreadsheet billings that goes around a few more times for the each actual medical service. That's how you get to the biggest GDP in the world.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

can't wait for the tarifs on Chinese medicines

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

post COVID posted:

it’s called the BioSecure Act

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/China-is-burning-all-its-bridges-with-Israel

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

post COVID posted:

They're already banned.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dont gotta worry about burning bridges if the country isn't going to exist soon.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

looking forward to gaming on a completely China-built, China-designed, China-branded desktop PC within my lifetime

it better have a CPC listening device in it so I get social credit for my pro-china shitposting

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
https://x.com/brad_setser/status/1790929758722588838?s=46&t=s_9GvobyI6fiv6i8oCvjcA
enjoy, another article whining that it’s bad to invest in renewable energy, batteries, and nevs because other countries are not doing it

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

quote:

Even if calm returns to the Middle East in the near future, Beijing has shown its hand. China is fundamentally opposed to any Israeli military operations, even in self-defense, as has been made clear in its demands for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and its vocal support for the establishment and recognition of a Palestinian state.

This is mostly because Beijing seeks to raise its stature as a champion of the Global South, especially as India appears to be a formidable rising challenger. China is also strengthening its partnership with Iran, in concert with "no limits" partner Russia, in an "axis of resistance" against the U.S. and Western democracies.

As with the Ukraine war, China's posturing as a Middle East peacemaker lacks credibility due to its one-sided stance. Beijing cannot expect its rhetoric to be taken seriously when it is so cavalier with its principles.
gross, man

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there's something poetic about china discovering how to cure diabetes after the US has spent billions of dollars and decades of research and consumer engineering to make it practically endemic

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

China is cheating by using the superior socioeconomic system

Nobody believed that the USSR accomplished full electrification so fast after the war, revolution, civil war and intervention. Communism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTM3H7DW3sw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1791065109894426971

so the "Atin Ito" [It's Ours] flotilla made it to the Scarborough Shoal, dropped a couple of floaters with "WPS ATIN ITO" written on it, and declared victory, though that still doesn't stop the media from scaremongering about how they were "shadowed" by the Chinese Coast Guard

the Defense Secretary here is saying that China wouldn't have dared attack civilians, but that's sort of it, right? They dangled civilians in front of the Chinese and then dared them to get attacked. There's a term for that, I think...

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there's something poetic about china discovering how to cure diabetes after the US has spent billions of dollars and decades of research and consumer engineering to make it practically endemic

of course for the pedophile imperialist western ruling class, it's just another reason to agitate for war with china

Also on this more specifically:

I was posting either in the ukr-rus war thread or the us lose ww3 thread about the idea of production relations - how there's a social factor to the mode of production that is fundamental to the organization of getting stuff done in a required way - and how neoliberalism basically fucks itself up by sabotaging those relations.

This can get quite tricky to grasp depending where you start looking from because it might seem too abstract, but those relations are very much what also goes beyond the individual competency and skill of a worker and forms a "social competency", so to speak. What does that mean? Let's illustrate with examples in a micro level: health workers that instead of helping people have to do bureaucratic work. Scientists who have to do a whole bunch of crap instead of researching, studying or teaching. Professionals of all stripes having to stand in meetings that do not advance anything, etc

There's a structural factor that can be seen as a sort of caprice of capital, because essentially is non-productive work intending its preservation but only generates further waste. It becomes pervasive. Scientists who have the skill and ability to advance important discoveries are hamstrung or mollified into working according to those relations, and those relations demand that they come up with commodities. The better scientist you are in that scenario means also how much profitability you can help to provide. This becomes a social factor and thus a production relation -- "I'm sure this is a good way to solve X, but there is no money there".

In contrast, a state that does public development but also does scientific planning has the means to attack that hindrance directly, which produces an entirely different set of production relations. Unending political bullshit or capitalist friction to get a railroad done simply disappears because now it is a matter of organization, planning, resources and social will.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

this allusion meant posted:

As with the Ukraine war, China's posturing as a Middle East peacemaker lacks credibility due to its one-sided stance

japan: why is my economy dying with such brains in charge

enjoy, another article whining that it’s bad to invest in renewable energy, batteries, and nevs because other countries are not doing it

"why can't we do the same things we accuse china of?"
"we won't have enough billionaires if we did"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ENPancotti/status/1791100931469140097

Liberals permanently stuck in the 1990s until someone puts them out of their misery.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

yellowcar posted:

is being a huge piece of poo poo a requirement for being an american lapdog or is that just a common aspect they all share

quote:

Late in the evening, Larry [Summers] leaned back in his chair and offered me some advice. By now, I’d lost count of Larry’s Diet Cokes, and our table was strewn with bits of food and spilled sauces. Larry’s tone was in the friendly-advice category. He teed it up this way: I had a choice. I could be an insider or I could be an outsider. Outsiders can say whatever they want. But people on the inside don’t listen to them. Insiders, however, get lots of access and a chance to push their ideas. People — powerful people — listen to what they have to say. But insiders also understand one unbreakable rule: They don’t criticize other insiders.

Elizabeth Warren, A Fighting Chance

It's a big club, and you have to make a certain choice to be in it.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 20:56 on May 16, 2024

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Last June, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu posted a picture of himself receiving a gift from Chinese Ambassador Cai Run of autographed copies of President Xi Jinping's four-volume collection, "The Governance of China."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/ENPancotti/status/1791100931469140097

Liberals permanently stuck in the 1990s until someone puts them out of their misery.
this description is literally the npr liberal economic theory of comparative advantage that she is criticizing here, presumably after decades of buying cheap chinese goods with no moral qualms

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://x.com/brad_setser/status/1790929758722588838?s=46&t=s_9GvobyI6fiv6i8oCvjcA

China's not allowed to export their economic problems. that's what we do!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The guy who wrote that article was the dude who tweeted that Xi Jinping should watch Hamilton

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

The guy who wrote that article was the dude who tweeted that Xi Jinping should watch Hamilton

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
xi jinping being miserable and checked out at functions with western elites is one of my favorite genres of political images

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stumblebum posted:

xi jinping being miserable and checked out at functions with western elites is one of my favorite genres of political images

"can we go to their factories already, am i supposed to be impressed by overpriced bougie garbage"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

those are not the right frames for his face lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1790890098570977318?t=Un0P-12d0D4d6-SBm_1LmA&s=19

dudes rock

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1791062947638235461

euro vassals are keen on trying to alienate everyone possible huh