Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

lotta poo poo goin wrong for me rn bob

sorry to hear it man :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cjs: I solved my bug I was having

it was a three line fix

I spent days trying to math my way out of something that the math wouldn’t have solved no matter what I did

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

lotta poo poo goin wrong for me rn bob

sincere wishes, rotor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
was just thinking about the honeypot idea (yeah ok this is still really bothering me lol) and got maybe a better idea: honeypot the cameras but instead of blackholing their traffic, just limit their upload bandwidth to something ridiculous like 500 bps. that way they still "work"

i guess i'd have to see if they do some kind of speed test, but if so it's probably not to the same servers they dump their surveillance to (of course this is all cloud-hosted garbage, which is part of the reason why i am so mad). either way allowing some traffic but not all shouldn't be too hard either

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

print out some goatses and tape them up in front of the cameras

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

as a bonus you get some nice room decor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

print out some goatses and tape them up in front of the cameras

that doesn't do anything about their microphones though, which is honestly what i am more concerned about. i do remote therapy sessions usually, using airpods and with the door closed, but now i'm thinking that's not sufficient lol

e: like yeah i care about the cameras too, but i'm not really doing anything that i'd care about them seeing (...most of the time, lol). hearing is a different matter

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 14, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I am sending all spare positive energies to rotor-sama at this evening

it might be he got a splinter, it might be a kid joined a weird charismatic organization

either way we will figure out a way through. lmk if you need somebody who needs to cut brake lines with zero evidence

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

cjs: so my parents installed surveillance equipment in my bedroom

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Roosevelt posted:

cjs: so my parents installed surveillance equipment in my bedroom

they got u an amazon echo?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
greetings from tokyo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

bump_fn posted:

greetings from tokyo

work? or pleasure…

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

one love to rotor and beefy. this too shall pass, kia kaha

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Roosevelt posted:

work? or pleasure…

technically work cause i accidentally agreed to give a talk at a conference so i’ll give my yak and then go to the train museum and other stuff

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

imo beefy nothing you can do to the cameras will inflict more misery on your parents than leaving them to pointlessly monitor them for the rest of their lives

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
cjs: turns out I inherited my phone number from the previous head of the nursing department, so now I'm getting cold-calls from nursing professors at other universities looking for them

I'm gonna receive cold calls like this for the next 30 years aren't I

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cjs: fuckin' office :rant:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kazinsal posted:

cjs: turns out I inherited my phone number from the previous head of the nursing department, so now I'm getting cold-calls from nursing professors at other universities looking for them

put in a ticket to change your phone number

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

alternatively, become the head of the nursing department

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

saw a black bear on the morning commute

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

would you rather be stuck in a forest with it or yourself?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Truman Peyote posted:

my dad has to take the bird feeders inside in the evening because they have bears in the neighborhood

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'd take the bear over myself every day, obviously

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

prefect posted:

cjs: fuckin' office :rant:

Even the dick sucking factory has gone woke :mad:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CPColin posted:

Even the dick sucking factory has gone woke :mad:

sorry they cut your mom's hours, op. i know she was one of the top performers

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

disconnect your phone

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Kazinsal posted:

my daughter's apple watch was assigned a phone number that used to be a chiropractic office until like a year ago. we had to change her number because she was getting so many junk calls and texts.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Truman Peyote posted:

yesterday i watched a turkey wait until the light changed and then use a crosswalk to cross a street.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wow they’re getting smart

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Roosevelt posted:

disconnect your phone

or just turn on the thing where your phone rejects unknown callers. if you have the sort of life where you need to answer unknown callers for some reason, you have my condolences

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

my daughter's apple watch was assigned a phone number that used to be a chiropractic office until like a year ago. we had to change her number because she was getting so many junk calls and texts.

do those even function as separate numbers? i tried texting and calling mine back when i had a data plan on the watch and i'd either get "message blocking is active" when texting or a recording that "this subscriber isn't accepting calls" or something to that effect when calling. of course, calls and texts to my phone's phone number worked though

but that was on at&t, maybe other services do it differently? though i've tried the same on data-only t-mobile plans (not on a watch) just to get more or less the same result, although texting a cellular gateway makes the sms come up as an "important service message" lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

immersing myself in japanese culture

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

yesterday i watched a turkey wait until the light changed and then use a crosswalk to cross a street.

wtf I saw this too but it was a flock

there’s a turkey that also stands next to the front door at quitting time so he can strut his stuff for us too

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

look i know it's fun to commit crimes but not everyone who obeys traffic signals is a turkey

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

bump_fn posted:

immersing myself in japanese culture

"we're orange with pride to be hooters girls"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

do those even function as separate numbers? i tried texting and calling mine back when i had a data plan on the watch and i'd either get "message blocking is active" when texting or a recording that "this subscriber isn't accepting calls" or something to that effect when calling. of course, calls and texts to my phone's phone number worked though

but that was on at&t, maybe other services do it differently? though i've tried the same on data-only t-mobile plans (not on a watch) just to get more or less the same result, although texting a cellular gateway makes the sms come up as an "important service message" lol

she has just the watch (and also on at&t), no phone, so yeah it's a separate number.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Roosevelt posted:

"we're orange with pride to be hooters girls"

so if orange = pride and green = envy, what colors are the other five deadly sins?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

she has just the watch (and also on at&t), no phone, so yeah it's a separate number.

huh, i didn't know you could even do that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The watch still needs to be set up using a phone, but you can set it up "on behalf of" a family member and it'll use their apple id and run separate from the phone that configure it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

our designer complimented and actually tried to read my "the great outdoor fight" tshirt. i had to explain some internet humor today.